Isn't the Cartel Market technically pay to win?

Vassise

-Buy CC with real money

-Buy stuff with CC

-Sell stuff on GTN for in game money

-Use in game money to buy mods and enhancements and armorings and hilts and barrels etc without doing any content.

Am I wrong in saying this?

You can have full 69 by doing this, augment it all, which means you're able to go straight to TFB HM and S&V HM level 55 if you have a decent guild. Then whats left? Nightmare modes?

All end game PVE content done. Nothing to work towards now. /unsub.

Essentially this means people are gearing up quicker, which means they get bored of the game quicker. But you don't care do you EAware, because they've just spent real money on CC, and thats all you care about right?

Edited by Vassise

-Buy CC with real money

-Buy stuff with CC

-Use in game money to buy mods and enhancements and armorings and hilts and barrels etc without doing any content.

Well, considering you cannot buy the best gear in the game with credits. You can't get set bonus' with them. And, knowing this, crafters charge incredulous amounts of money for them?

Meh, I don't think it is P2W at all.

That's a stretch

That's not even close to a stretch. It's right on. There is no flaw in that logic whatsoever.

Well, considering you cannot buy the best gear in the game with credits. You can't get set bonus' with them. And, knowing this, crafters charge incredulous amounts of money for them?

Meh, I don't think it is P2W at all.

What does it matter how much crafters charge in credits if I have all the money I could ever care to spend? If I have to buy 100,000,000 credits worth of cartel coins and spend $12,000 to do it, but that $12k is a drop in the bucket for me, I just paid to win, right?

Edited by DarthTHC

I guess, but the you can't get PvP gear that way and the PvE stuff on the GTN isn't BiS, so who really cares? It's not like the P2W crowd will be stomping you in WZs, they'll just be better geared for Ops than they would be otherwise (which benefits you).

That's not even close to a stretch. It's right on. There is no flaw in that logic whatsoever.

What does it matter how much crafters charge in credits if I have all the money I could ever care to spend? If I have to buy 100,000,000 credits worth of cartel coins and spend $12,000 to do it, but that $12k is a drop in the bucket for me, I just paid to win, right?

other then there is nothing in the GTN that allows you to "win"

You are right and wrong OP. You can get the 69 mods from crafters and the GTN and those are good enough to run all the end game content. So in that sense, you could view it as a pay to win, but since you cannot get the best mods or the set bonuses its not technically pay to win.

I think P2Win is supposed to be a 1-click away to full endgame gear.

I don't consider it pay-to-win if it doesn't mess with either end-game PVE or PVP. You can't buy Warzone or Ranked Warzone Commendations from the Cartel Shop and it doesn't allow to to bypass the Endgame PVP or PVE grind.

If anything it helps you while leveling which isn't competative and doesn't really 'break' anything in my book.

It's a tough one because the cartel market has been the only actual content we have seen in awhile (i know, its an exaggeration)

If the cartel market was around at launch then im guessing it would of been received in a totally different way. Kinda like all MMO's, as stuff gets added it gets eaten up.

Kinda a catch 22 for Bioware atm. If they add content that's enjoyable, different and somewhat repeatable without been repetitive, then people wouldn't really go as crazy as they do with the cartel market. I think from a business perspective the cartel markets implementation timing was perfect.

You can feel free to view it that way, but I don't.

You aren't getting anything that isn't available to other characters.

You cannot purchase the best gear in the game.

You're relying on other people purchasing those things from you.

Technically, you can buy credits off of goldfarmers as well. Much more direct. But, to me, ESPECIALLY because you cannot buy the best gear with credits, it isn't P2W.

Threads like this, though, are the reason crafters are being shafted.

That's not Pay-to-Win, especially since you can't buy BiS mods yet, save for augments.

What you're describing is someone who has excess cash and wants to take a shortcut by basically purchasing in game money, which is something that has always occured in MMOs.

If people like this couldn't buy CM items to sell on the GTN, they'd buy them from RMT farmers(which is actually cheaper, but not healthy for the game). At least this way, the money goes to EAware and it theoretically used for game development.

other then there is nothing in the GTN that allows you to "win"

If you want to go there, there is nothing in the whole game that allows you to "win". You do need some degree of skill, even if you're decked out in whatever the top tier of gear is for the style you play.

-Buy CC with real money

-Buy stuff with CC

Well by that reasoning subbing is pay to win.

-Pay sub with real money

-earn more xp and more money than f2p

-buy things for less money than f2p

-pay to win.

Win what? You could spend a billion $$ on crafted stuff and still not have the best gear in the game.

Someone who has no idea how to play is still going to get rocked in a 55 op even with all the shiny hilts and mods he can buy off the GTN, so no it's not pay to win.

It's a short cut, but every MMO has those.

In WoW, you can click one button to level a single new character to 80 if you're a comeback subscriber. I know this because I did it when my friend gave me a scroll of ressurection.

Edited by Ten_Ton_Hammer

That's the whole reason why I won't buy CC , I don't like the way MMO's are going/gone. So it's okay for me to spend my stipend and then if i get something I don't want I can sell. But yeah basically anyone with lots of spare cash can indeed P2W by doing things like in your example. Sad times really , at least I'm still pure , apart from the fact the whole GTN is now polluted with items gained and sold for this very purpose. To late to turn back now really. I also wont do anything of the sort on PSO2 , when it comes out or any other MMO.

Cheers,

BadOrb ( pure MMO'er ).

Win what? You could spend a billion $$ on crafted stuff and still not have the best gear in the game.

You don't need the best gear in the game to do the topmost tier of content in the game.

You need one tier under the best gear in the game to do the topmost tier of content.

The content is designed like that because if you needed the gear the content drops to complete the content, nobody would ever complete the content. Make sense?

Edited by DarthTHC