Why do the vast majority of romances in this game border on pedophilia?

Zakaan

The evidence is right there. Half the romances, immediately, are relationships between the force user and their extremely youthful student. Then, you get the agent romancing Temple who sounds like Susie Charmichael from Rugrats and Mako who is a direct pull from the archetypal geeky asian girl in countless kids shows. Dorne barely hurdles over the label because of a distinct and more mature elegance to her but she's still naive.

Outside of that you've got Risha, Spaar and Kaliyo as the exceptions.

If I recall correctly. She doesn't become a knight until she's under your wing. She starts off as that togruta's padawan.

Apprentice/Padawan... tomato/tomahto

Do it.

Trooper: Romance with a lower ranking officer. Happens in real-life military. Not considered creepy.

JK: Havent played a male JK, but I know Kira goes into thinking my female JK and her are partners more than master/padawan almost right off the bat.

BH: Mako see's it as a partnership pretty early on too. Maybe not for darksiders? Torian doesn't seem to.

Inquisitor: Adronikus doesnt feel younger at all, in fact, I think he felt older. Asara (couldnt romance her...female sith) was whiney, so could give that impression, but I hear her dialogue changes when with a male inquisitor.

SW: Evil Jaesa I can't help but think she'd seem more college age, and light side isn't romanceable. Vette you can't romance untill you free her of her collar and set her free basically.

Smuggler: Risha didnt seem young at all but again, couldnt date her.

*btw Im guessing you mean just the female companions here, which I couldnt romance myself, so no idea how those scenes play out*

Seems you might just be caught up on what basically comes down to "Boss gets with employee" when a few of your examples can play out as partners.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would involve a pre-teen. I don't know what companion OP is talking about that looks like they are 12 or younger but then again I haven't played every class on both sides. They seem like they would be like 20 years old there abouts.

OK, nevermind, OP is just trolling. Or seeing something that's not there because they're looking too hard for it.

This. just a typical PC person looking for a problem when there isn't one there.

also O.P....I think you need to go educate yourself on what pedophilia is.

The ONLY one you MAY have an argument of the PC "taking advantage" of is Nadia due to her..situation when she joins you and the romance can start..and even then she's an adult.

stop looking for problems that aren't there..and if you really don't like it...don't flirt/romance them!

ah the pc crowd..love their intelligence.

Dorne is not naive.

She was an Imperial officer, and defected when she saw how the Empire operates (and that there was a better option for her). She puts up with prejudice in the Republic military based on those origins. As part of her conversation path, she willingly makes a covert trip back to Empire space, where she knows she's considered a traitor and will be brutally executed if she's caught, to rescue her imprisoned brother.

She's well aware that it's a dangerous galaxy out there and any number of people will be looking to capitalize on any weaknesses she shows. That's pretty much the antithesis of naivete.

Naive was probably the wrong word.

That would involve a pre-teen. I don't know what companion OP is talking about that looks like they are 12 or younger but then again I haven't played every class on both sides. They seem like they would be like 20 years old there abouts.

I've played 6 of the 8 classes to level 38+ (and that means 5 of them at 50+ :p)...the youngest companion from the looks of it, to me, has been Torian (felt 18, when storyline wise, Im pretty sure BH is mid 22-25 by that point). Ashara might come close (she's also an alien anyways) but still felt like early 20s.

havent gotten a Consular that far up in levels yet to decide with Nadia.

Can't speak for Kira, she annoyed me so my Sentinel stayed celibate. Admittedly he's a good and proper Jedi and would've stayed celibate irregardless. Jorgan is a military man or more concerned with protocols, regs, and how it'll appear on his record. Same with Dorne, plus her consternation that someone is attracted to the known "traitor." So when it comes to being romantically involved, yes, they are both a bit naive. I've known some 30 year old women who were more interested in their careers than dating who showed the same naivete, do they count towards your premise of pedophilia? Smuggler, Corso, and Sith Warrior, Quinn, are the proverbial boy scouts. Therefore, yes, when it comes to dating, they are a bit naive as well.

Pedophilia deals more with physical age rather than mental experience/preparedness. Many people above the legal coupling age are still naive, simply because their priorities were on other things rather than dating and banging the nearest hormonally charged being. Case in point, Jedi. Relationships in general are frowned upon, I doubt many of them are experienced in the waters of romance.

The evidence is right there. Half the romances, immediately, are relationships between the force user and their extremely youthful student. Then, you get the agent romancing Temple who sounds like Susie Charmichael from Rugrats and Mako who is a direct pull from the archetypal geeky asian girl in countless kids shows. Dorne barely hurdles over the label because of a distinct and more mature elegance to her but she's still naive.

So like we said, you don't know what pedo is. :rolleyes:

I kinda get where OP is coming from with some of the romances, but think "pedophilia" is a tad bit (read not even playing the same sport) dramatic.

As an Agent, I'm hooked up with a lying sadistic killer who would sell me off as a slave in a second and I love her for it. Keeps me on my toes.

All in all, it's a Bioware game which means that if it's a character in game, somebody wants to **** it. Even that Imperial on earlier on in Balmorra that makes cooking analogies

My first thought on this topic is: Its a video game and not real. If they appear young, it doesn't really matter because they are not actually alive. My second thought is that none actually seem to be below the age 12 anyway.

My third thought is: Let me romance Blizz....

Bioware said wayyy back at launch I cant remember exactly the ages but im pretty sure it was

Mako, Vette, Jaesa, Kira are all around 24

Elara and Risha were mid to late 20's

Nadia is ealy 20s

and Ashara is the youngest at 20.

soooo unless ur in your 40s, its not rly that creepy

Sorry to break your bubble, but do not state your personal perception of the characters' ages as facts. There are official sources, aka SWTOR Encyclopedia, and Mako is 19, Kira is 20, Jaesa and Vette are 21.

Elara is 26, Risha is 21 (surprise-surprise!)

Nadya is 22

Ashara is 20, you guessed right, but still she's not the youngest.

So, check your facts before posting (it is easily to find even on this forums, take a second on google) :p hope I didn't ruin any characters for you.

But on the topic, yes, most of romancible girls are pretty young. But the game from the beginning directly says that your character is young too. Some NPCs even refer to you as 'young' directly. Thus young romances are only natural (not that I would mind romancible Lokin *_*, dem greyfoxes).

The only 'creepiness' might come from character creator that does not limit the age and allows you to make really old character (though, I have to admit, it is hilarious to watch Zash commenting on youth of the character who looks waaay older than her). Some grandpa banging 20y.o. might look creepy to some people (though tastes differ, some just like much older partners).

But game story says that characters have just finished their studies and started their career, which is usually happens around early 20s (people may RP whatever they want, but that does not change NPCs calling you 'young padawan'). So romances are actually age-appropriate.

Inappropriate working relationships are entirely different story.

Edited by PaniMauser

I kinda get where OP is coming from with some of the romances, but think "pedophilia" is a tad bit (read not even playing the same sport) dramatic.

Of course pedophilia is dramatic. You act as though you've never seen anyone be facetious on the internet before.

As an Agent, I'm hooked up with a lying sadistic killer who would sell me off as a slave in a second and I love her for it. Keeps me on my toes.

I loved the Imperial Agent's class quest.

All in all, it's a Bioware game which means that if it's a character in game, somebody wants to **** it. Even that Imperial on earlier on in Balmorra that makes cooking analogies

Very true.

It sort of strains credibility (IMO) for Vette to be only 21, seeing as how (spoiler for both Warrior and Smuggler stories)...

She used to be part of Nok Drayen's crew, running around and having adventures and stuff with him, and he's been in a carbonite freeze for ten years.

Seems to me she should have at least several more years on her.

Edited by nateslice

Of course pedophilia is dramatic. You act as though you've never seen anyone be facetious on the internet before.

I think Hyperbole would fit better than Facetious. Much like cable news

Edited by Cavegeta

I think Hyperbole would fit better than Facetious. Much like cable news

Nah, it's facetious. People usually mistake it with trolling along with sarcasm, humor in general or anything that they just don't like.

The cable news title would feature the title "Underage Sexual Content in Star Wars The Old Republic? What are your kids playing?" where I state that all of the characters are 12 years old while the PC is 160 without having ever played the game.

It sort of strains credibility (IMO) for Vette to be only 21, seeing as how (spoiler for both Warrior and Smuggler stories)...

She used to be part of Nok Drayen's crew, running around and having adventures and stuff with him, and he's been in a carbonite freeze for ten years.

Seems to me she should have at least several more years on her.

They were childhood friends, the little ex-slave girl befriended little daughter of space pirate. And it is usual practice for criminals to use children for scouting, luring in someone to a trap etc since most people will not suspect 'innocent' child.

IIRC they both mention they were about ten back then. So her age is perfectly on timeline:)

Nah, it's facetious. People usually mistake it with trolling along with sarcasm, humor in general or anything that they just don't like.

The cable news title would feature the title "Underage Sexual Content in Star Wars The Old Republic? What are your kids playing?" where I state that all of the characters are 12 years old while the PC is 160 without having ever played the game.

Ah okay, I think I see where you're coming from then. Out of curiosity and not to derail the original topic, but you know....to completely derail it, what's your opinion on how they handle romances in general?

Personally, I prefer them to be more like Easter Eggs. I played through KOTOR like two times before I changed things up on another playthrough and found they were even an option with larger ramifications. Want to say I did the same in Jade Empire. Something about having a wheel tell me that I'm "Flirting" seems a bit calculated and by default, stalkerish.

Ah okay, I think I see where you're coming from then. Out of curiosity and not to derail the original topic, but you know....to completely derail it, what's your opinion on how they handle romances in general?

Personally, I prefer them to be more like Easter Eggs. I played through KOTOR like two times before I changed things up on another playthrough and found they were even an option with larger ramifications. Want to say I did the same in Jade Empire. Something about having a wheel tell me that I'm "Flirting" seems a bit calculated and by default, stalkerish.

I think the best Bioware romances were in Dragon Age: Origins. I like the way they handled party interactions period there. Dialogue flowed more naturally and your companions actually acknowledged each other's existence.