To taunt bads or not to taunt bads?

Grimmjon

So I was doing some low lvl pvp earlier today and my team had a bunch of bads. They were playing like crap and I proceeded to taunt them and say stuff like they might be better off as dog food. I was top dmg and didn't get a single MVP vote. Who's in the wrong here? Clearly them but I'd like your opinions.

Nobody cares about damage.... people can top damage and play like crap/ against the teams objectives which is why I usually don't give people any vote when I see that they ran alone into a mass of enemies while weakening our team at another point.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound like somebody got good at video games because they never got picked for real sports where you actually need to face your opponent in person and understand that hot dogging players get benched as fast as bad players.

Bad mouthing a team mate is absolutely the worse thing a team player can ever do, even in a casual pug game. People whose skillset may be more evolved than team mates still need their help to move forward. Those folks become leaders. If some one with all of that skill can not find a way to move the team forward they are still lacking in the primary skills that are needed to win. I have met many high level scientist, artist, athletes and other top achievers, they are the first to offer their time to help some one else and will always work to give back to their community.

I will stop here

WOOSH

that is the sound of my sarcasm going over your head. Re-read my post and tell me that you honestly believed I was serious please. If you cannot tell this is a troll thread, I am incredibly sorry for your lack of literary interpretation skills.

Bad mouthing a team mate is absolutely the worse thing a team player can ever do, even in a casual pug game. People whose skillset may be more evolved than team mates still need their help to move forward. Those folks become leaders. If some one with all of that skill can not find a way to move the team forward they are still lacking in the primary skills that are needed to win. I have met many high level scientist, artist, athletes and other top achievers, they are the first to offer their time to help some one else and will always work to give back to their community.

While I mostly agree with this... the time I was at the Grass node in Civil War, and had 3 others with me who had just defended an incoming attack on our node, and the guards at Snow called out incoming, and I watched in stunned amazement as all 3 of the others at my node took off toward the stairs under mid, then at the last minute, veered left and ran to mid instead, they absolutely deserved to be verbally bashed over the head.

So I was doing some low lvl pvp earlier today and my team had a bunch of bads. They were playing like crap and I proceeded to taunt them and say stuff like they might be better off as dog food. I was top dmg and didn't get a single MVP vote. Who's in the wrong here? Clearly them but I'd like your opinions.

You. Treat your fellow players with respect. If they play like idiots, give polite advice, or at worst, say nothing. Everybody was bad once. They need experience to learn how to play good. You raining crap on their heads doesn't help.

While I mostly agree with this... the time I was at the Grass node in Civil War, and had 3 others with me who had just defended an incoming attack on our node, and the guards at Snow called out incoming, and I watched in stunned amazement as all 3 of the others at my node took off toward the stairs under mid, then at the last minute, veered left and ran to mid instead, they absolutely deserved to be verbally bashed over the head.

I think that's the equivalent of the Matrix "Nobody has ever tried this, which is why it's going to work". I mean I can sort of see the logic, it'd be like if the enemy is attacking your two side nodes in full force they wouldn't expect their only node to be attacked. However, the reason why the enemy doesn't expect it is that it is very dumb to counterattack because they lose nothing for losing middle (it's a bad position to defend) so even if they trade middle for a side cannon, their position still improved. Of course what usually happens is those guys fail to take middle anyway while you lose a side cannon, possibly costing your team the game.

I think that's the equivalent of the Matrix "Nobody has ever tried this, which is why it's going to work". I mean I can sort of see the logic, it'd be like if the enemy is attacking your two side nodes in full force they wouldn't expect their only node to be attacked. However, the reason why the enemy doesn't expect it is that it is very dumb to counterattack because they lose nothing for losing middle (it's a bad position to defend) so even if they trade middle for a side cannon, their position still improved. Of course what usually happens is those guys fail to take middle anyway while you lose a side cannon, possibly costing your team the game.

Yeah, if it had worked, it would have been nice. Except we lost Snow, then couldn't get the second node back and lost the match. If they had just run under mid, used the speed boosts, and gone to the node we ALREADY HAD, we'd have had a much better chance, if not had won outright.

• 2 weeks later...

“It's not the critic who counts. It's not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled. Credit belongs to the man who really was in the arena, his face marred by dust, sweat, and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs to come short and short again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming. It is the man who actually strives to do the deeds, who knows the great enthusiasm and knows the great devotion, who spends himself on a worthy cause, who at best, knows in the end the triumph of great achievement. And, who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and cruel souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

- Theodore Roosevelt

For all the up and coming PVP'ers in the Reg's who try to accomplish the objectives, do the thankless things to win, and then get berated by the L33T's who are sore from a loss. For all the PUG's who ask, "What's the plan?" and are met with silence. For all the teammates who cap and solo-guard after all and always call out, to then die at the hands of assassins before help arrives. And then get berated by the L33T's.

By L33T's standards, Peyton Manning ALONE merits a win by simply stepping onto the field. And if he loses, it's because of the "bad's" surrounding him, or those pesky pre-made Patriots. And I can just imagine Peyton in the locker room, kicking over chairs and screaming "L2P you F-in' nOObs!" Because he's a real class act.

We can't win them all, folks. And when we are losing we get quitters, we get flamed and cussed at endlessly, and we then collect our comm's and hopefully our cool. And it's funny that when we do win, all we get is a few more comms, and two letters...

"gg".

**SNIFF** **SNIFF** (Blows nose into his QQ Kleenex)

“It's not the critic who counts. It's not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled. Credit belongs to the man who really was in the arena, his face marred by dust, sweat, and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs to come short and short again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming. It is the man who actually strives to do the deeds, who knows the great enthusiasm and knows the great devotion, who spends himself on a worthy cause, who at best, knows in the end the triumph of great achievement. And, who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and cruel souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

- Theodore Roosevelt

For all the up and coming PVP'ers in the Reg's who try to accomplish the objectives, do the thankless things to win, and then get berated by the L33T's who are sore from a loss. For all the PUG's who ask, "What's the plan?" and are met with silence. For all the teammates who cap and solo-guard after all and always call out, to then die at the hands of assassins before help arrives. And then get berated by the L33T's.

By L33T's standards, Peyton Manning ALONE merits a win by simply stepping onto the field. And if he loses, it's because of the "bad's" surrounding him, or those pesky pre-made Patriots. And I can just imagine Peyton in the locker room, kicking over chairs and screaming "L2P you F-in' nOObs!" Because he's a real class act.

We can't win them all, folks. And when we are losing we get quitters, we get flamed and cussed at endlessly, and we then collect our comm's and hopefully our cool. And it's funny that when we do win, all we get is a few more comms, and two letters...

"gg".

Lol! This post just made my day.

This is a game. It's about fun. Sometimes we forget that.

Okay, well get this. I'm fighting in a war zone naked at lvl 30 because why not and I get top damage on the team. We won and I only got 1 MVP vote. I didn't cuss one person out the whole game even though I wanted to. Thankless weak nubs am I right?:rolleyes:

You know it's bad......

....when you, as the only healer on the team, respec from heals to dps on Novare.

It's also sad to be in top 1-3 in both heals and dps after a respec on VS.

How could we lose.....oooooooooh.........

Edited by MidichIorian

People who complain about bad players are usually the source themselves. It's particularly funny when the guys complaining don't even put up good leaderboards numbers. Yes putting up good leadeboards don't necessarily mean you're good, but it's alwyas amusing to see someone fail to break 100K in any category and wasn't solo defending tell you about his intangible contribution, or rather invisible contribution.

Agreed indeed. Besides, isn't yelling at a bunch of digital avatars who, I grant you, mostly don't give a dang for what you say anyway, a bit immature? What are those 'taunters' trying to do anyway? Now if OP were to rename the thread to read: 'To taunt taunters or not to taunt taunters?'...

It's somewhat of a misconception that all good players must participate in rateds. Being forced to schedule game time, play the same two teams over and over again in what most likely will be a 20 minute stalemate. Even pugging normals is more fun than that.

solo pugging normals is entertaining at least. you never know what you're going to get.

- Theodore Roosevelt

"gg".

Honestly, my issue isn't people who are bad and know they're bad, it's the ones that think they're good. People who know they're bad tend to not do such stupid things as ones that have delusions of grandeur. Here's the deal - I never get annoyed with people who are trying but just can't quite get it. What I get annoyed with is :

1) Fail rambo. He's off at a node by himself getting his butt kicked by the lone assassin guarding it.

2) I only heal my buddies healer guy.

3) I refuse to node guard guy, I'll leave it totally unattended if thats what it takes to get someone else to do it for me. In spite of this.

4) I'm TDM'ing in Huttball guy.

5) I'm waking your mez while you're capping guy.

6) Let's all cap at the same time while one dude runs up and grenades us guy.

Etc.

My newest pet peeve is "we're queuing our premade that has no heals at all guys". Had this twice tonight where a fail guild queued up with sorcs and marauders and the sorcs were DPS spec'd. We, subsequently, had no heals and got rocked.

Now, does it bother me that much to lose? Not really...it's that these people are usually the nastiest people who refuse to acknowledge they did anything wrong and even tend to go so far as to go out of their way to show how much they aren't even trying to win the game and are just focusing on stats or whatever.

Edited by dcgregorya

I'd offer a different viewpoint.

Bad players display all of the classic traits of a .. well.. a bad player.

(1) They suck

(2) Unfortunately, their egos are way above their level of suckage and are usually headstrong and arrogant

(3) Often they don't know what the hell's going on around them, and they run around without clear direction

(4) They make mistakes, and then proceed to come up with idiotic excuses and justifications

There's a reason why drill sergeants bark the head off their new recruits. People that are put into a controlled environment where precise teamwork is required, usually don't know how to listen unless they are put down and are forced to realize just how much one really sucks. Sometimes, being the devil's advocate and making people angry does stimulate them enough to do better with better focus to the objective at hand.

If anything, in many cases a display of anger, along with an objective observation of how the team is performing, helps with other, more quiet people. They see that someone who seems like a good player gets really angry - which usually gets people's attention for the first time. And then, proceed to listen why he's angry, and if they can understand that, the passive folk usually do proceed to change their course of action and try to coordinate things better.

Let's say its the psychological skillset of a PvP player. Sometimes, bad-mouthing is needed.

Of course, if you overdo it, then its not worth doing it at all and usually backfires -- makes everyone miserable. Also, if you want to taunt and ridicule your fellows, there's that absolute prerequisite that you must be accepted as a superior player -- which is usually a difficult condition to meet.

You were in the right. Bads actually respond better to taunting, they are not like educated men of reason such as you and I. You cannot talk about things like tactics and keybindings without expecting to get anything but blank stares and gallons of drool from the bads. The only way to make these beasts productive is to insult them, watch them become enraged, and then point them in the direction of the enemy. Is it optimal? No. But it is the best we can do with these sub-humans.

lol

People who complain about bad players are usually the source themselves. It's particularly funny when the guys complaining don't even put up good leaderboards numbers. Yes putting up good leadeboards don't necessarily mean you're good, but it's alwyas amusing to see someone fail to break 100K in any category and wasn't solo defending tell you about his intangible contribution, or rather invisible contribution.

well, some times one has to draw the drooling enraged subhumans of the other team as remotely as possible to the map's corners, and the best bait is letting them bash your head. Meanwhile the drooling zombies in your team, pointed in the right direction can now cap the obectives.

Obviously, dragging lemmings in a corner, or keeping them on a node they dont need and getting hammered into the ground by enraged taunted drooling baddies, doesn't award score or medals, but it is indeed an invaluable and invisible help to the drooling baddies on your team.

For some reason i am not expecting to receive anything but blank stares and drool after explaining this, but WTH.

Edited by Ajuntalee

- Theodore Roosevelt

"gg".

That... Was... Beautiful....

I imagined Morgan Freeman narrating this. Awesome.

I often get called a baddie, even though at t he end ive got the most medals and most dmg.

i dont think anyone likes me to be fair, keep to myself

I never vote for top damage... I don't consider spamming AOEs to get high damage skill. I don't look that much at medals either, because everyone knows who has played a sorc/sage or tank can get 8 medals in the first 2 mins if a game by doing F all