Stunball and roots! 30m from goal and rooted for over a minute

J_Fred

You would've been able to score much faster had you used keybindings instead of clicking. The moment you force pushed there was a small window to leap between the CC's. That moving your mouse over to the charge key cost you the quick cap.

I'm not even trying to be rude about it, but you really should learn to bind your abilities, especially as a tank.

Disagreed, I got an error when I tried to do that. By the time the global cooldown was done I was already clicking the leap button. I would have gotten the same error if I was hitting the button on my keyboard. If the global cooldown did not exist in this game then yes keybinding would have an advantage. I was already rooted when I forced pushed the guy the first time, so I wasn't going anywhere. :p

Honestly the opposing team must have extremely good coordination to do their pulls/push/KBs/roots at exactly the right time. This isn't something that just happens by accident. It's really just good defense and if they stopped you, you should look at that and say 'that's how we should play defense too', instead of whining about how Resolve doesn't work.

This also illustrates one of the common pitfalls in Huttball. People tend to try to focus on the ball carrier but if you got 2 healers behind you, plus whoever else that can possibly heal, it's extremely hard to take out the ball carrier. Even when the ball is very close to endzone, you usually still have to attack the healer. You don't necessarily have to be able to kill them, but you got to make them start healing themselves first because it's very hard to burn down a tanky class that's guarded with 2+ healers on him.

I have no issues with resolve, only reason I posted this was because it was the first time I had been rooted for so long, and I have never seen something happen like that before. I was never complaining but your not the first to think I was. :confused: As for their coordination I agree, if I recall correctly we were fighting a Knights of Tython premade that match.

Rooted for over a minute? Really? You weren't rooted while back-pedaling :cool:. You constantly had 3 or more enemies on you, you were stunned, knock-backed and rooted a lot yet you manage to survive and score and your beef is ??? It was too hard? It took too long? I really can't understand what you QQ about?

There is nothing to QQ about, simply sharing lol :D

Edited by J_Fred

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing to QQ about, simply sharing lol :D

Well that's not how the majority of this forum is gonna take it, people see this as "yes i was right, there's to much roots, fix plz" :p

I just find it redicilous that you managed to get through all that **** (and kinda wierd how you didn't get any passing options from your team when you took so much focus... :o )

Honestly the opposing team must have extremely good coordination to do their pulls/push/KBs/roots at exactly the right time. This isn't something that just happens by accident. It's really just good defense and if they stopped you, you should look at that and say 'that's how we should play defense too', instead of whining about how Resolve doesn't work.

noooo

OP is pr0 and everyone else is badz. They dont have coordination, it must be the game fault if OP doesn't stomp on other team!

Im kiddiing, who cares its not like you came close to dying you didnt fall below 50% hps.....despite them knocking you down 3 times and focusing you for an entire minute.....

Liek, o nose! This is pruf dat h3aling is OP! Quickly call Congress, we need to nerf healers and tanks NAO! To further balance the game, Operatives need an additional stun, and Snipers should be able to call in a combat helicopter that they can get in and fly all over the battleground. ;)

In all seriousness, this is pretty typical in Huttball. Where you got lucky was having tanks and heals close at hand to help you survive.

Liek, o nose! This is pruf dat h3aling is OP! Quickly call Congress, we need to nerf healers and tanks NAO! To further balance the game, Operatives need an additional stun, and Snipers should be able to call in a combat helicopter that they can get in and fly all over the battleground. ;)

In all seriousness, this is pretty typical in Huttball. Where you got lucky was having tanks and heals close at hand to help you survive.

Huh? I don't get how you people are going from one irrelevant topic to another.

..and, for the ultimate controversy, the fact that Myrmio had ME guarded even though he was ballcarrying. Though conventional wisdom is that ballcarriers should never guard, that guard would have allowed me to stay on Myrm that much longer if it came to that. I also had Recklessness and Polarity Shift up and available to help counter any extra damage he would have taken through guard. In a situation where a ballcarrier knows and trusts his healer to stay on him even when the healer starts going down, guarding the healer can give him that much more time to keep the ballcarrier up. But it is a highly situational call, one that requires a lot of trust between healer and tank, and probably not all that wise in pugs. :p

There are only two reasons I will guard a healer in huttball. One being like you said, the trust factor. Another is the rule of two. You guys will almost always be under attack in the warzone, and so long as you have my guard while your attacked I am getting a speed buff. If there isn't a healer that I trust in the warzone then that guard will most likely go on a merc or a melee dps so I can still get my speed buff. :)

you are the kind of player I hate the most in huttball, "the hero", the type of guy that does not even bother to keybind Throw the ball, cuz why would you right? In that video you had multiple chances to pass to the 2 teammates sitting on the spawn edge with 0 enemies next to them cuz they we re all in the pit beating on you. Your clearly showing how you(a tank) + 2 healers faceroll 8 enemies that cannot get the ball from you and u dare complain about stuns and roots? Edited by iDraxter

you are the kind of player I hate the most in huttball, "the hero", the type of guy that does not even bother to keybind Throw the ball, cuz why would you right? In that video you had multiple chances to pass to the 2 teammates sitting on the spawn edge with 0 enemies next to them cuz they we re all in the pit beating on you. Your clearly showing how you(a tank) + 2 healers faceroll 8 enemies that cannot get the ball from you and u dare complain about stuns and roots?

I have passed in situations like that, its risky business. You risk getting it intercepted by a jumper or having one of them yanked down and blown up because they don't have the tools a tank has to stay alive.

I have passed in situations like that, its risky business. You risk getting it intercepted by a jumper or having one of them yanked down and blown up because they don't have the tools a tank has to stay alive.
all the melee were hitting on him down in the pit while 2 allies waited for pass with no enemies next to them I would`ve passed and aoe mezzed them all.

you are the kind of player I hate the most in huttball, "the hero", the type of guy that does not even bother to keybind Throw the ball?

lmao check the vid again, i have pass keybinded to either "c" or "v"

The only "heros" are the dps who try to walk the ball when a tank is in the game. What ends up happening is something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjTpEQWyCjM

Don't expect me to apologize for fulfilling my role in warzones, which is to tank things :rolleyes:

all the melee were hitting on him down in the pit while 2 allies waited for pass with no enemies next to them I would`ve passed and aoe mezzed them all.

who is being the hero now? :D

Edited by J_Fred

lmao check the vid again, i have pass keybinded to either "c" or "v"

The only "heros" are the dps who try to walk the ball when a tank is in the game. What ends up happening is something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjTpEQWyCjM

Don't expect me to apologize for fulfilling my role in warzones, which is to tank things :rolleyes:

who is being the hero now? :D

This made me LOL

This also illustrates one of the common pitfalls in Huttball. People tend to try to focus on the ball carrier but if you got 2 healers behind you, plus whoever else that can possibly heal, it's extremely hard to take out the ball carrier. Even when the ball is very close to endzone, you usually still have to attack the healer. You don't necessarily have to be able to kill them, but you got to make them start healing themselves first because it's very hard to burn down a tanky class that's guarded with 2+ healers on him.

+1. Also, friendly pull? I hear that works even with a white bar and being rooted. Can roots and snares be cleansed?

EDIT: I commend OP for starting off the discussion with a video!

Edited by funkiestj

+1. Also, friendly pull? I hear that works even with a white bar and being rooted. Can roots and snares be cleansed?

EDIT: I commend OP for starting off the discussion with a video!

Well...as for being the one friendly pull AND also being the only healer the tank had voice comms with, I had to make a Triage Decision.

Do I 1) spend time getting into position for a pull, or 2) jump down and keep Myrm up in the pit while another teammate positions for intercede/Myrm waits for a leap?

I started off FAR behind Myrm because I was doing knockbacks on D when the ball got spiked and Myrm picked it up.

We agreed on 2. Though I could've thrown assorted bubbles doing 1, it's a bit more iffy if the tank needs sustained healing, and often by the time I can cross 2 firepits for the pull, the ballcarrier picks about that moment to die.

Well...as for being the one friendly pull AND also being the only healer the tank had voice comms with, I had to make a Triage Decision.

Do I 1) spend time getting into position for a pull, or 2) jump down and keep Myrm up in the pit while another teammate positions for intercede/Myrm waits for a leap?

I started off FAR behind Myrm because I was doing knockbacks on D when the ball got spiked and Myrm picked it up.

We agreed on 2. Though I could've thrown assorted bubbles doing 1, it's a bit more iffy if the tank needs sustained healing, and often by the time I can cross 2 firepits for the pull, the ballcarrier picks about that moment to die.

If they saw you they would have probably jumped you first and killed me after :D idk where you were at that point but they didn't seem to notice you lol

This footage is from a match this past week. When i get less than 30 meters away from the goal line I get the stunfest of my life. Over a minute of roots and stuns until I can finally score. :rolleyes:

Stunball | The Roots Strike Back

0:12 passing ftw

0:22 is why this pvp sometimes just sucks.... I always /facepalm when I'm pressing a knockback...... get knockbacked myself and my knockback has a timer... .

0:34 you (that marauder/ sentinel) only place yourself at the edge if you want your enemy to drop down.. not when your teammate wants to jump to you

0:48 your teammate misses that he isn't of any use when standing right next to you.... he has to position himself at the goal line, you can pass = score..

= opponent team not killing your healer probably deserves an epic facepalm....

However that's why huttball especially just sucks partially. It's not a one man show and tons of people try to carry the damn ball from the middle to the goal line (not talking about you). It's a "passing" game... . Just because you can do it with pure force, doesn't mean that's the way to do it.

Anyone who claims to know how an event in Huttball would've unfolded differently in all but the simplest cases in Huttball does not understand the complexity of Huttball. Each time you pass it's always possible someone knocked your receiver off and intercept the ball, or someone charge to your receiver and intercept the ball, or someone grip your receiver away and forced a turnover. I've had passes straight to someone in the endzone that got improbably intercepted from a guy jumping down from respawn.

Passing in any close situation is a last ditch move. It's something you do because you're pretty sure you're about to die so you'll risk the myriad of ways a strong team can deal with a pass, because after all if you're dead that's also a guaranteed turnover too.

Anyone who claims to know how an event in Huttball would've unfolded differently in all but the simplest cases in Huttball does not understand the complexity of Huttball. Each time you pass it's always possible someone knocked your receiver off and intercept the ball, or someone charge to your receiver and intercept the ball, or someone grip your receiver away and forced a turnover. I've had passes straight to someone in the endzone that got improbably intercepted from a guy jumping down from respawn.

Passing in any close situation is a last ditch move. It's something you do because you're pretty sure you're about to die so you'll risk the myriad of ways a strong team can deal with a pass, because after all if you're dead that's also a guaranteed turnover too.

Not passing is effectively wasting time. It takes more time to walk than to cover the distance with a pass. There are 3 levels which your team can use to avoid the largest bulk of opponents and what happens if they do? They score again and again because they can read the play prior to when standing 30m away from the finish line and being knocked down.

In his position, I would have tried the same and his move only "failed" because his action wasn't done (leap) to the player he knocked back at the beginning.

However you don't even need to get into this position if you'd have someone standing on the third level, you can leap up and you have all possibilities to pass/ leap from there. This however would require that your teammates think about positioning to receive a pass from you.

Edited by Sziroten

Not passing is effectively wasting time. It takes more time to walk than to cover the distance with a pass. There are 3 levels which your team can use to avoid the largest bulk of opponents and what happens if they do? They score again and again because they can read the play prior to when standing 30m away from the finish line and being knocked down.

In his position, I would have tried the same and his move only "failed" because his action wasn't done (leap) to the player he knocked back at the beginning.

However you don't even need to get into this position if you'd have someone standing on the third level, you can leap up and you have all possibilities to pass/ leap from there. This however would require that your teammates think about positioning to receive a pass from you.

It is absolutely impossible for anyone to say with any certainty what kind of defense an enemy may mount. The top level is a fire trap disaster waiting to happen as even a KB can instant kill you due to its proximity to two fire pits. Seriously, there is no way you can tell what's the optimal thing to do even in a Huttball game you just played let alone a game you watched from a video. Anyone who claims to be able to do that simply doesn't understand how the game works. Passing is always more risking than running. Now because I just said you can't know for sure how events will unfold, of course sometimes passing will turn out to be the right thing to do, but it can also turn out to be the wrong thing to do. As long as the ball carrier is not in danger of dying there's no reason to take a risky move. Passing gets stopped easily by a powerful team. Most people's idea of passing is having 5 guys camped out in the enemy endzone, and that's because the enemy team is completely unable to repel your attack to begin with. When you're working with limited receivers who are about to die and likely to get tossed into the pit or a fire trap, passing suddenly doesn't look that attractive anymore.

[quote name='Astarica']It is absolutely impossible for anyone to say with any certainty what kind of defense an enemy may mount. The top level is a fire trap disaster waiting to happen as even a KB can instant kill you due to its proximity to two fire pits. Seriously, there is no way you can tell what's the optimal thing to do even in a Huttball game you just played let alone a game you watched from a video. Anyone who claims to be able to do that simply doesn't understand how the game works. Passing is always more risking than running. Now because I just said you can't know for sure how events will unfold, of course sometimes passing will turn out to be the right thing to do, but it can also turn out to be the wrong thing to do. As long as the ball carrier is not in danger of dying there's no reason to take a risky move. Passing gets stopped easily by a powerful team. Most people's idea of passing is having 5 guys camped out in the enemy endzone, and that's because the enemy team is completely unable to repel your attack to begin with. When you're working with limited receivers who are about to die and likely to get tossed into the pit or a fire trap, passing suddenly doesn't look that attractive anymore.[/QUOTE] So you are someone which picks up the ball and walks all the way to the endzone without passing? The other team didn't even care to kill his healer and was therefore surely not the "powerful" team you are refering to.

So you are someone which picks up the ball and walks all the way to the endzone without passing?

The other team didn't even care to kill his healer and was therefore surely not the "powerful" team you are refering to.

As a pure spec and geared tank, you darn straight I'm going to pick up the ball and run with it like Herschel Walker. I'm going to force leap, force push, force leap and intercede or some variation of that until I reach the goal line and score. Then I'll reposition myself to receive the pass to do it again. As a tank, I am best suited for that task. However, if I am at a point where I can pass the ball to someone who is at the goal line and intercede is on CD, I'll pass it for the score. Otherwise it’s interceding to my team mate. Huttball is a tanker's place to shine and best warzone to utilize every defensive cool down, damage mitigation, and power to help the team to victory.

So you are someone which picks up the ball and walks all the way to the endzone without passing?

The other team didn't even care to kill his healer and was therefore surely not the "powerful" team you are refering to.

For the first half or so of the video, I'm not even sure the other team knew where I was. Notice how I go in and out of range on the ops frame...that's because I'm behind him trying to catch up LOL. And when you combine that with the fact most of them were waiting for a respawn...

Now when Myrm leaps and manages to get far enough to LOS me, some of the people in the pit switched to me. If the people who switched to me got on me before while the RDPS on the ledge stayed on Myrm (or similar), the video might've gotten even more interesting...but as mentioned in a previous post of mine I do have some tools to deal with that before I end up becoming Myrmedon's Martyr.

Edited by AdrianDmitruk