11/11/24 Workhorse type build for PvP.

MyDominion

Why do people insist on making these hybrid specs with cute little names. No other class' forums do that lol.

Good looking spec, looks like the old Carolina Parakeet spec though. Another weird name. Although that spec kicked ***

In defense of such an epic build, not really. Have a refresher please.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=147738&highlight=Carolina+Parakeet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the common build, or the onlyone still working for pyro. Just a few notes:

1º Power armor gives you less damage reduction than rebraced armor, don't remember exactly how much but it gives you more, you can check it in a sec.

2º Retractable blade's dps is not even worth to clean, ye it increases the dps but it's not gonna help you, on that GCD you can use flameburst and you'll get more dps.

3º Pyro shield is not worthy, it deals damage to just 1 target (1vs1) which in wz should not be happening often if you're a pt doing your job.

This is the current espec I use when I play pyro:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhMzZMsZfhrbzRrc.3

The last 4 points are completely optional. I usually put them in burnout (3) and hot iron (1). But that's up to the user, you can also play more defensive and use Combust or use 2 points in hot iron and 2 in burnout.

Just my opinion

Cheers

Edited by Reviaj

1º Power armor gives you less damage reduction than rebraced armor, don't remember exactly how much but it gives you more, you can check it in a sec.

2º Acid blade that dps is not even worth to clean, ye it increases the dps but it's not gonna help you, on that GCD you can use flameburst and you'll get more dps.

3º Pyro shield is not worthy, it deals damage to just 1 target (1vs1) which in wz should not be happening often if you're a pt doing your job.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/powertech/16/?build=023200300010000000000000000000000223120000100000000000000000000003200322221002100220000000000000&ver=20

The last 4 points are completely optional. I usually put them in burnout (3) and hot iron (1). But that's up to the user, you can also play more defensive and use Combust or use 2 points in hot iron and 2 in burnout.

Just my opinion

Cheers

All you did was link the same build as the orriginal poster?

And isn't acid blade a Operative skill? What are you talking about in point number two above?

:confused:

All you did was link the same build as the orriginal poster?

And isn't acid blade a Operative skill? What are you talking about in point number two above?

:confused:

My bad, edited. It was 3:00 in the morning in my country and was playing operative so messed up a bit :p

2º Retractable blade's dps is not even worth to clean, ye it increases the dps but it's not gonna help you, on that GCD you can use flameburst and you'll get more dps.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhMzZMsZfhrbzRrc.3

Just my opinion

Cheers

1. Power armor mitigates all, the key word is all dmg type by 2%. Rebraced I think is 3% but it's energy/kinetic/weapon. Rebraced does not cover internal/elemental. Also I said in my post these were two points that were moveable.

2. RB does 2x as much damage none crit than FB does. So if you have a 15 second fight, or less it can does out DPS FB.

3. Please find me a better way to spend those 2 points on the shield. If a dps turns on you, it definately helps because elemental is'nt mitigated dmg and I think the shield crits.

Remember I'm not super happy with alot of the talents in pyro, and some in other trees. This build is about recognizing the current state of pyro based builds and trying to make something work. I have had sucess with this and it seems others have too.

Thank you for your input.

Love it. Pulling massive numbers. Like massive. Outdpsing all the snipers I run with.

Glad your enjoying it, I still really enjoy PPA and have found this build to work well for my playstyle. I do try APT too, but still am a Pyro at heart.

Been trying the build out and really like it. A lot of things going on that were responsible in a pvp match but could you post a single target rotation. Mine is RB,IM,RS,RP,FB anything you like to add to that?

Been trying the build out and really like it. A lot of things going on that were responsible in a pvp match but could you post a single target rotation. Mine is RB,IM,RS,RP,FB anything you like to add to that?

If I'm at a distance I open with Rapid Shots to get CGC proc on them, then start with a typical Pyro rotation. But if I'm in melee range and hav'nt had a PPA proc in 6 seconds, the optimal rotation would be to start with RB, RS,RP/FB,RS,Then typical Pyro rotation.

I mix in RB when I'm confident the fight will last 12-15 seconds. I will occasionally throw in IM but only with (Free no heat cooldown we have that I can't remember the name for the life of me). And I only use IM with the free heat ability if I'm confident the fight is going to last. I'll use IM, RB, RS, RP,RS, FB and begin the typical rotation. If there is'nt a someone that can cleanse around, and your sure it will be a longer fight your DPS is actually pretty high starting off by layering these dots.

Both Retractable blade and Imolation missile are situational. More often than not you will just use a typical PPA based rotation. You will use RB more than IM, but they both serve a purpose in this build.

Edited by MyDominion

Can you list/show your stats: crit, surge, accuracy, and power.

I am min/maxed partisan with 3 pieces of conquerors. Everything is replaced with power/surge.

So I have 0 crit/acc etc. And I use Overkill augments (power/end). I also use eliminators 4 piece.

Great looking build, what would you tree would you recommend for leveling ? I started out a new PT and it's at 26,should I go with getting oil slick first ? or pyro, shield, AP ?

I would reccomend getting your 24 points in pyro first. That way your main avenue of DPS is there, then fill out either tree however you see fit.

Thanks for your interest in this build.

I think this build exposes how little value the top of the Pyro skill tree has. Thermal Det and Power Bracer are the only worthwhile skills at the top, and it just isn't good value to spend 11 skill points to get those two. Little filler skills at the bottom of the other two trees are contributing more than the top of the Pyro tree. Doh.

I can see the better defensive value of this build vs. melee opponents. I think that you are still rather vulnerable to ranged opponents though. Not much you can do about it I suppose. Personally I'd take Volatile Igniter rather than Flame Suit though. There just aren't a ton of enemy DoTers out there. Those that do exist might do 30% of their damage via DoTs, so cutting the damage output of a minority of enemies by 4.5% for 2 skill points doesn't seem like good value. And while the CGC DoT does mess up cc's, it only lasts for 6 seconds.

I think this build exposes how little value the top of the Pyro skill tree has. Thermal Det and Power Bracer are the only worthwhile skills at the top, and it just isn't good value to spend 11 skill points to get those two. Little filler skills at the bottom of the other two trees are contributing more than the top of the Pyro tree. Doh.

I can see the better defensive value of this build vs. melee opponents. I think that you are still rather vulnerable to ranged opponents though. Not much you can do about it I suppose. Personally I'd take Volatile Igniter rather than Flame Suit though. There just aren't a ton of enemy DoTers out there. Those that do exist might do 30% of their damage via DoTs, so cutting the damage output of a minority of enemies by 4.5% for 2 skill points doesn't seem like good value. And while the CGC DoT does mess up cc's, it only lasts for 6 seconds.

Yeah I agree with your thoughts, and spoke a bit about it in my original post. Pyro tree in all falls very short, where this really becomes apparent to me is when I play any of my alts, and you can see the depth of other advanced classes trees.

I can see changing the two points out of flame suit. I know that by speccing into volatile your overall DPS would go up, you'd just have to work it into a rotation, and be mindful of it's heat useage. I just don't like flame sweep much, and don't use it all that often. But maybe I'll do more testing with it, and see what numbers it can produce.

Thanks for your insight and suggestions.

I know that by speccing into volatile your overall DPS would go up, you'd just have to work it into a rotation, and be mindful of it's heat useage. I just don't like flame sweep much, and don't use it all that often. But maybe I'll do more testing with it, and see what numbers it can produce.

Yeah, I'm of the same opinion. Flame Sweep is a trash ability. CGC after its nerf is also trash. So Volatile Igniter = trash + trash? Just seems bad, waste of heat and waste of a GCD.

Hey there,

I use a very similar build. I call it the Wet Noodle (11/10/25) cuz compared to pre 2.0, it hits like a wet noodle but survivabiliy is much better4. I really like the idea of taking GUT/RB ad adding a 2nd DOT during a fight. Will give this a whirl and provide feedback.

Here's the link the the Wet Noodle build in the VG Forums http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=629010

Shinigami - Harbinger

Hey there,

I use a very similar build. I call it the Wet Noodle (11/10/25) cuz compared to pre 2.0, it hits like a wet noodle but survivabiliy is much better4. I really like the idea of taking GUT/RB ad adding a 2nd DOT during a fight. Will give this a whirl and provide feedback.

Here's the link the the Wet Noodle build in the VG Forums http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=629010

Shinigami - Harbinger

Thanks, yeah I've run 11/10/25, it's basically the same. I just like the option of having the additional dot, it does pay off in certain encounters. It is sad how much we were toned down, I look at old screen shots of my character and total dmg/dps highest hit. And they don't look that much different than now.

I just don't see the point... but to each his/her own i guess....

Not sure what your specifying. If you mean the powertech in general, each person makes that choice. If you mean the build, each person makes a choice. This build is for those that want to use a pyro based build in PvP, nothing more nothing less.

RB seems a bit of a waste not enough burst to really threaten anything, but other than that it looks solid. However the heat management for that looks rough

RB is situational as I explained. It's not meant to use everytime you start a rotation, also it only costs 16 heat. You will occasional use it in your rotation, but the majority of time your doing a basic PPA proc based rotation.

And if burst was all PvP was based on, no one would PvP with this class anymore at all. This build is about making Pyro work as best we can.

RB is situational as I explained. It's not meant to use everytime you start a rotation, also it only costs 16 heat. You will occasional use it in your rotation, but the majority of time your doing a basic PPA proc based rotation.

And if burst was all PvP was based on, no one would PvP with this class anymore at all. This build is about making Pyro work as best we can.

Hello,

First off all i would like to say that i value creativity and while most people say powertech/vanguard is unplayable i very much disagree. With that being said i will also note that i had tested dozen different setups revolving around plasma cell, CGC alone. I see you as one of the few people testing and reaching for things that are not standard.

This was the build i came up with some time ago, when i had thought about strong pressure on target with as many dots as possible.

BUT this setup comes with price, and the price is huge - predictability and lack of burst. I loved the protection level of combined Flame Sweep with included 5% damage reduction and 2% damage reduction from Power Armor, combined with Oil slick, but the problem is - you have much less tools to kill Operative healer, and it's impossible if he is guarded or healed by another side healer. You can build some tempo with the right mixture of dots and rotation, but it's simply predictable. I like the idea of having gut as a third DOT but after extensive 3 week tests of more than dozen CGC specs i had made a conclusion that the extra protection will not give you enough of it to survive focus anyway, and that the lack of burst makes you unable to finish targets fast which under most circumstances should be your job.

With that in mind, and with all due respect i have for this build and small variations of it i came to conclusion that 4/6/36 is still the BEST BURST pvp build of a pyro simply because you put huge pressure.

First of all you have 3 dots, but they are all fire based. Additional damage on Stockstrike/Rocket Punch and Assault Plastique/Thermal Detonator simply makes it even better. On a good day after popintg 25% you get 6.1k TD followed by RS for almost 6.5k, followed by Stockstrike for 6.2k followed by another RS for 6.5k . This by itself is enough to beat most targets of their feets leaving them with only handful of HP left (considering you also use rapid shots, flame burst, and incendiary round and finish with shoulder cannon and other 2 dots are sitting on target that just went to less than 30% health). I do agree this it's only situational but the right tech crit amount added from upper Pyro talents, combined with more damage to TD and RP give enough burst to deal with most pesky healers. Also, because you have 3 dots you can build a huge pressure even when not doing top damage. Simply 3 burns when the target is bellow 30% health finish him off by doing more than 3k per dots tick (CGC, Incendiary and TD dot).

Additionally reduction of cooldowns on both Vent Heat and Thermal Sensor gives you the right amount of help needed to sustain top burst all the time (with Incendiary Missile, TD and CGC). IF the target also targets you it's in the worst position taking damage from your poped Energy Shield (counts as 4th dot).

With all above, you can easily lose that 6% elemental damage, and 3% aim AND 6% IP damage, simply because you have bursted target before ion pulse/flameburst spam is necessary, and more importantly BEFORE you took much damage.

As for defense, you don't have to look at it, when you are in defense phase - simply roll hybrid with Prot Flamethrower for antismash or roll full Advanced Prototype (sometimes works with shield generator and ion cell making u unkillable).

Time of well round all can do specs is simply over for pyros and vanguards, and we need to adjust to every warzone in a different way filling gaps of your ranked team. For assault Phase, burst is they key, for defense, well fieldrespec can be done under 15 seconds :).

I liked the idea very much, but for me it's more of a fluff "Republic Commando" type of a build. Rounded but not good in any particular aspect. Good for 1v1, baaaaad for organized warzones.

PS, I didn't wanted to sound unpleasant or anything. This is not a pun, or epen contest. I am simply sharing my thoughts and my subjective experience on playing Vanguard and Pyro.

PS2. For me, the 5-7% alactrity makes the difference. But that is also subjective.

Edited by Nezyrworks