I wish Companion starter gear was moddable.

Every (or nearly every) companion I get, on every class, starts out with a really cool, unique outfit that was clearly handcrafted to fit that companion's personality. It looks really great on them.

Then you start giving them armor upgrades and they rapidly look like a humiliating clown, or at the very least, much less "in character" with their personality.

It would be awesome if the companion starter outfits (and the "special" outfits you're rewarded when you reach the spaceport on capital world) were converted to green-quality moddable gear. So, the starting stats don't change, but you can keep your companion looking fit and fabulous for their entire tenure with you.

~~~

Like, Kaliyo. She works in that casual outfit with trenchcoat. She doesn't really work dressed up in huge bulky Mandalorian armor with camouflage marks all over it, that's just not really her personality — and the devs knew that, which is why her starter outfits are so relaxed and casual looking.

~~~

Of course, since almost everyone vendored these outfits a long time ago, it would make sense to give you a vendor (maybe on capital world? Your ship droid? Companion vendors on Taris, etc?) where you can buy the (moddable) starter outfits again if you're level 50 and sold them ages ago.

~~~

And no, I'm not asking for the option to spend 1200 Cartel Coins to get "Kaliyo Djannis' Awesome Tennis Outfit — with chance at a RARE Kaliyo Djannis' Unstoppable Techblade Tennis Racquet". Please, just let one thing not go through the damn market. :(

I just think it would be cool for each companion to be able to keep their unique, personalized outfits strapped on the whole time. :)

Edited by SW_display_name

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not all the companions..

But I agree with what you're saying, and it would be nice to see modable versions of those low level gear pieces show up as mission rewards the same way they added endgame moddable companion weapons.

it's not all the companions..
Which ones don't have a unique outfit? I was trying to think of it, but every companion that sprang to mind has a personalized starter look. But then I feel like at least some of them are wearing 'generic' pieces, I just can't remember specific examples.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think most starter outfits for companions aren't that memorable and often times there are similar options available.

Kaliyo is a notable exception as her starter outfit is boss and suits her much better than the bulky bounty hunter armor (yeah..she's not even a bounty hunter). There's no other armor piece like that one in game (afaik). So, I'd like to see a moddable armor similar to Kaliyo's starter added for use by her or PCs but really don't care much about the others. Though, this would probably be a carter market item, ofc.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think most starter outfits for companions aren't that memorable and often times there are similar options available.
A lot of those "similar" options are green-quality gear, though. This would be a simple way to let you keep that companion's look without gimping them statwise, if you feel it fits them well.

Most companions you get past like level 30 start with a moddable weapon already, so it seems reasonable to just convert their whole starter set to modded stuff. That leaves it at the player's discretion whether to keep it, or immediately switch them to the Slave Girl outfit.

Edited by SW_display_name

True say. Other companions who should have their starter gear modable...

- Jedi Knight Companion:

Lord Scourge

- Smuggler Companion: Akaavi Spar (very obvious... should not be looking like a republic trooper...)

- Sith Warrior Companion: Leutenant Pierce (should not look like a bounty hunter...)

Which ones don't have a unique outfit? I was trying to think of it, but every companion that sprang to mind has a personalized starter look. But then I feel like at least some of them are wearing 'generic' pieces, I just can't remember specific examples.

Tanno Vik has a really kool Bounty Hunter look going on during the Trooper story, before he becomes your companion, but once he is your companion he has the default Havoc Squad armor. I was hoping he would keep the Bounty Hunter look myself.

I agree, there should be modifiable versions of those outfits, but I don't think we'll get them anywhere except the Cartel market. They'll never add them in retroactively for free.

:(

Edited by Blackavaar

In fairness:

1) Player characters do not get modable starter gear either. So I would rather see player starter gear modable first... and I don't mean CM equivalents.. I mean the stitches they come with or gain on the starter planets.

2) There is tons of low cost modable gear in the GTN these days that can be mixed and matched to come fairly close to appropriate for the different companions.

(quoted the wrong person the first time)

Kaliyo is a notable exception as her starter outfit is boss and suits her much better than the bulky bounty hunter armor (yeah..she's not even a bounty hunter). There's no other armor piece like that one in game (afaik). So, I'd like to see a moddable armor similar to Kaliyo's starter added for use by her or PCs but really don't care much about the others. Though, this would probably be a carter market item, ofc.

Qyzen comes with a bounty hunter chestpiece, which fits him more than trooper gear. That big guy for the warrior comes with black imperial trooper gear, which you can't get if you don't have CE. Ashara comes with a Jedi robe.

Jedi Companion:

Lord Scourge comes with Sith Warrior gear.

I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind.

EDIT:

In fairness:

1) Player characters do not get modable starter gear either. So I would rather see player starter gear modable first... and I don't mean CM equivalents.. I mean the stitches they come with or gain on the starter planets.

2) There is tons of low cost modable gear in the GTN these days that can be mixed and matched to come fairly close to appropriate for the different companions.

The Aspiring Knight's Vest from Tython needs to be made moddable. The rest of the Aspiring Knight's set that's craftable actually matches the green set from Tython, except for the chestpiece, which doesn't fit at all. Rename the sport's bra of the same name, and add a schematic for an orange version of that chestpiece!

Edited by MillionsKNives

All of Havoc Squad.

Any companion that doesn't show their character gear. (T7, Bowdaar, Khem Val). But yes, ?I do wish that we could mod their starting outfits. Talos and Lokin have been gimped for a long time, simply because I refuse to upgrade their sets to generic styles.

In fairness:

I don't understand what this has to do with anything. That's a totally different topic. If you want moddable ugly starter gear, make a request. :confused:

No, there isn't. I mean, seriously, this is really just flat-out incorrect.

I mean, "low cost" moddable gear? Unless you want every companion to look like a hobo picked up off the streets of Alderaan, most of the good-looking Cartel stuff runs between 100 and 500k credits per piece depending on the day / time / whims of the market.

Cheap non-adaptive stuff is readily available, because people make it to level up crew skills, but it's always class-specific, so companions can't wear it. And finally, a lot of this stuff absolutely does not look like the companions' starter gear or has important details changed that make it not fit their personality the same way.

Whether you can make an "Appropriate" set isn't the point for people who want that set the companion starts with. Since no new graphics need to be created, and the gear is already tailored to "fit" the companion graphically, this really does seem like one of those "Just flip a switch" changes.

In fairness:

Well, for the gear they gain, there are modifiable versions that Armormech and Synthweaving crafters can make. Of course, they have the wrong graphic in many cases, but they are there in some form. The actual starting gear isn't really great looking though anyway. They're very simple, low detail crappy armor that looks like something you are about to replace in 3 levels.

Yeah, somewhat, for the primary companions at least. Others you can actually make a better look with existing drops.

Guss Tuno for instance, always talks like he's a Jedi, so it's really fitting to put him in Jedi style outfits.

There are still a few where the look just cannot be duplicated. You can put them in more casual outfits and it kind of works, but it's just not the same.

:cool:

I agree with this: the companions lose their more unique look and end up just being clones of player gear.

The CM seems like a good avenue for companion-specific styles.

And I can guarantee that will be the avenue they will take. Get ready to spend some CC to give Corso his starting outfit. On the positive side, at least it will be adaptive, meaning Player Characters will be able to wear it too.

:(

Edited by Blackavaar

In fairness:

In fairness

1) this argument only makes sense for 8 of the 42 companions. There is no reason at all why the starter gear that the other 34 shouldn't have modable outfits. Those are some very nice looks, and there isn't any reason why they shouldn't be viable to maintain as you level.

2) This just isn't true for many of the companions. The companion looks the OP is talking about are very unique reskins in most cases. Just on the Republic side Qyzen, Nadia, Iresso, Sgt Rusk, Yuun, Corso, & Guss each come with some very interesting gear. The other knight companions & the cunning based companions are the only ones that can be closely approximated.

The real reason why companions don't come equipped with modable armor is so that players cannot use these looks, and so that players are driven to customize their companions. But, I'm not sure those are completely valid reasons. I see nothing wrong with players having access to those armor skins, if they want to dress exactly like someone else's companion. And players would still use enough different gear pieces on their companions to keep things interesting.

.I mean, "low cost" moddable gear? Unless you want every companion to look like a hobo picked up off the streets of Alderaan, most of the good-looking Cartel stuff runs between 100 and 500k credits per piece depending on the day / time / whims of the market.

NONSENSE.. unless you simply must have the few most desirable armor items in game... which for a companion is both silly and a waste.

Learn to shop and use style and match to chest to your advantage IMO. The armor skins are cheap..as in cost you less then 25K to fully skin a companion. You will spend more for mods to be honest.. unless you make them or use comms to get them.

Most of your credits will go to select a desirable chest piece.. and the rest can be had very inexpensive and will color match well. That is the beauty of adpative gear. Sure.. might take you a few shopping tries to get a really low price on a chest piece... but honestly it's not hard to do.

NONSENSE.. unless you simply must have the few most desirable armor items in game... which for a companion is both silly and a waste.

Learn to shop and use style and match to chest to your advantage IMO. The armor skins are cheap..as in cost you less then 25K to fully skin a companion. You will spend more for mods to be honest.. unless you make them or use comms to get them.

Most of your credits will go to select a desirable chest piece.. and the rest can be had very inexpensive and will color match well. That is the beauty of adpative gear. Sure.. might take you a few shopping tries to get a really low price on a chest piece... but honestly it's not hard to do.

I can attest that in my search for a piece of armor that had a similiar feel to Lord Scourge's original armor, I ended up spending over 200k on a chestpiece and it's still not the same look as what he came with, but there was nothing that fit his personality, in my opinion, at lower price points. These companions come with gear with a certain look that fits their personality to a T. It would be nice to have that gear be moddable so we had the option of keeping that look if we wanted. (For what it's worth, I think the starter gear for the character should be available in moddable versions too, but that's a tangentially related topic.)

Or if there were purchasable moddable gear which looked like their starter gear (and/or, for the first companion, the gear you can choose for them when you get to the fleet).

As for whether something is "silly and a waste," the whole game is "silly and a waste," so nothing in the game is any more silly or wasteful than anything else in the game.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I can attest that in my search for a piece of armor that had a similiar feel to Lord Scourge's original armor, I ended up spending over 200k on a chestpiece and it's still not the same look as what he came with, but there was nothing that fit his personality, in my opinion, at lower price points. These companions come with gear with a certain look that fits their personality to a T. It would be nice to have that gear be moddable so we had the option of keeping that look if we wanted. (For what it's worth, I think the starter gear for the character should be available in moddable versions too, but that's a tangentially related topic.)

Learn to be just a bit creative and flexible IMO......or not.. the choice is a personal one... but then you made a choice and said choice may indeed constrain your economic options.

A year ago.. it was nearly impossible to fit out a companion with modable gear at reasonable prices and reasonable appearance. Today... it's really a non-issue unless you absolutely must have a 100% complaint look (as if there WAS actually a complaint look for companions. Some companions don't even show the armor you equip them with).