Can't Fix Sittable Chairs? Sitting Emote = Solution!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but no, it doesn't "simply" work like that.

The problem with animations is positioning.

You have to align the animation so your derrière isn't hovering way above the chair, but doesn't sink too far into the chair either (a little sinking into the chair is actually good!)

Okay, so we make the animation align on the hip, and position according to that. That leads us to the next problem..

Not all characters are of the same length!

So a sit might look nice and perfectly alligned on one character, put cause the feet of a taller character to sink through the floor! Let the next next "my feet clip!" whines commence! So THAT is why those chairs in the cockpit of your starship are so oversized! They have to accommodate both size 1 and size 3-4 characters. And that is also why I don't want to see "gnome sized playercharacters", they look even more rediculous on those things (never mind the badly positioned armors and weapons and whatever else they carry). And that is why speeders like the meditation chair and the skiff have seats where the legs aren't alligned vertical or lower than the hip!

Now some speeders do have a vertical leg alignment going below the waist or hip. If you look more carefully, you'd see that some bodytypes have the feet not even reach the steps, or the hands not holding the handlebars properly. It's covered up pretty well on the speeders, but the tricks used there simply don't work on furniture.

Emotes are NOT the "silver bullet" solution you're hoping for.. The only solution is going through every seat design and making seperate animations and positionings for each bodytype. That IS quite a monumental task. I'd like to see Bioware do it, and I really, really hope they will assign a developer to go through every single seat design sometime to add proper sitting animations. But a sit emote is the exact equivalent of the solution they don't want, which would be adding a default script to all the seats (they could develop that in about 3-4 hours if they wanted), resulting in a lot of misalignments and because of that, only more complaints. If sitting is to be added, they want it done RIGHT, and not half-A'ed.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want my hard-arse, guns-and-explosives Trooper being forced to walk around daintily because some man who's insecure with his gender identity and his sexuality thinks that women and men should be forced to walk differently.

If you really think the walk is "dainty", you have bigger problems, like the fact that you take what appears to be a perfectly normal animation and somehow manage to turn it into a gender stereotype.

The non-sprint female run is definitely kind of silly, though.

Edited by Phorenzyk

If you really think the walk is "dainty", you have bigger problems, like the fact that you take what appears to be a perfectly normal animation and somehow manage to turn it into a gender stereotype.

The non-sprint female run is definitely kind of silly, though.

I'm referring to possible future walks, not the current one. Hence what I quoted, which was part of a short discussion of possible future walks.

I've seen what the developers have done in this game. They'd take a Parade March for men and turn into a skip for women.

Edited by Tatile

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to burst your bubble, but no, it doesn't "simply" work like that.

The problem with animations is positioning.

You have to align the animation so your derrière isn't hovering way above the chair, but doesn't sink too far into the chair either (a little sinking into the chair is actually good!)

Okay, so we make the animation align on the hip, and position according to that. That leads us to the next problem..

Not all characters are of the same length!

So a sit might look nice and perfectly alligned on one character, put cause the feet of a taller character to sink through the floor! Let the next next "my feet clip!" whines commence! So THAT is why those chairs in the cockpit of your starship are so oversized! They have to accommodate both size 1 and size 3-4 characters. And that is also why I don't want to see "gnome sized playercharacters", they look even more rediculous on those things (never mind the badly positioned armors and weapons and whatever else they carry). And that is why speeders like the meditation chair and the skiff have seats where the legs aren't alligned vertical or lower than the hip!

Now some speeders do have a vertical leg alignment going below the waist or hip. If you look more carefully, you'd see that some bodytypes have the feet not even reach the steps, or the hands not holding the handlebars properly. It's covered up pretty well on the speeders, but the tricks used there simply don't work on furniture.

Emotes are NOT the "silver bullet" solution you're hoping for.. The only solution is going through every seat design and making seperate animations and positionings for each bodytype. That IS quite a monumental task. I'd like to see Bioware do it, and I really, really hope they will assign a developer to go through every single seat design sometime to add proper sitting animations. But a sit emote is the exact equivalent of the solution they don't want, which would be adding a default script to all the seats (they could develop that in about 3-4 hours if they wanted), resulting in a lot of misalignments and because of that, only more complaints. If sitting is to be added, they want it done RIGHT, and not half-A'ed.

Everything you bothered to use as your argument is invalid; they already HAVE the /chair sit look, they have the /lay animation. The animation for every character to use the captain’s chair fits all 4 body types for both genders. I urge you try it yourself. Create various body types, and click on the captain's chair in each ship. Now imagine that animation freely given. Granted, people might look like they're squatting in the middle of nowhere if they use the emote no where near a chair.... but let's be honest; there are far more silly animations in game currently. I consider it a small price to pay.

Let the community worry about positioning their asses on the chairs, is my suggestion, thus making the whole positioning AND the need to program all the chairs in the galaxy like the captain’s chair (which I already said that when I spoke to Damion Schubert he said they will NEVER go back through the code to do that) invalid. It seems that you, he, and I agree that the task is too monumental for so little gain. So it seems that your statement that they will want it done right is void. They don't care to even get it done, and I can't blame them. I want content... not a full re-design of the chair and sitting system in SWTOR. So what is the alternative?

Unlock various animation sitting positions as emotes and allow the community to worry about the positioning of their... as you say... derrières.

It is actually quite that easy.

Edited by Creedys

I like this idea, cryptic had something like this in city of heroes they had a few different sit animations you could use to sit on just about anything from chairs to benches or dangling your legs of the top of a wall. +1

^^ and OP - brilliant ideas. Just simply brilliant.

This would completely solve the sitting problem at a stroke and gives the CM tons of new emotes to play around with. The system in CoH Was so good. You could perch on ledges, sit in any type of chair you wanted, lean against walls and even crouch on top of statues like freakin batman.

Do it devs - this is pure win.

edit: Ah, /ledgesit ..... /walllean .......How I miss thee.

Edited by UltimateKrucible

I don't post a lot either, but this thread definitely is one of those I need to put my 2 credits worth. Yes, please can we have this? We were able to sit in chairs in SWG so it can't be that hard to implement. And having them as emotes would be profitable for the game and apease players :D

Granted, people might look like they're squatting in the middle of nowhere if they use the emote no where near a chair.... but let's be honest; there are far more silly animations in game currently. I consider it a small price to pay.

This could be easily solved by having a stool appear under your arse when you sit- rather like the Xantha or holo-kloo appears when you use those emotes.

If you position yourself near a chair or stool already, the animation will simply be eaten by the existing object. Therefore, no problem. In fact, I had presumed this was the OP's intention when suggesting this idea.

Also, YES PLEASE! Signed.

This could be easily solved by having a stool appear under your arse when you sit- rather like the Xantha or holo-kloo appears when you use those emotes.

If you position yourself near a chair or stool already, the animation will simply be eaten by the existing object. Therefore, no problem. In fact, I had presumed this was the OP's intention when suggesting this idea.

Also, YES PLEASE! Signed.

I actually LOVE this idea. I've added it to the original request.

Edited by Creedys

I'm not into RP, but I am definitely behind this for the people who want it.

But, theres always a but :) I cannot see them ever doing it via the cartel coin option, as it would be a pretty sloppy item, and way too probable for people to lodge complaints because of real money involved.

The ones mentioned that would work correctly like injured and lie, or sit cross legged would be ok, but the mid air thing would be much better slipped into a patch as a /type command only, sort of an unofficial release type thing.

Your role-players are the ones who keep playing even when content is old and boring, because they're making their own fun. Supporting them with cheap implements like this would likely appease them. As others have mentioned...

/liedown

/wall lean

/injured

All of these things are 'emotes' your npcs already use so you've coded them into the game!

Think of the micro-transactions!!!

QFT

And...

/Signed

This thread needs to be seen by everyone, mostly BioWare employee's.

My thoughts are that normal sitting and lying down and all that stuff should be given to everyone. Otherwise you'll have situations where only one person came up with the will and cash to buy the emote and suddenly he/she looks out of place. It'd be too much of a hassle buying the emote on all your characters anyway. Plus it'd be a slimy move on BW's part.

Edited by Duravian

It boggles my mind that with all the crazy emote animations that have shown up in cartel packs we still don't have a basic "sit" or "lie down." It can't possibly be a tougher technical challenge than doing a backflip or rocking out on a holographic musical instrument. They keep coming up with new increasingly complex animations that nobody asked for. All we want to do is sit down. No magic hologram chairs or anything. Don't overthink it. Just let us SIT DOWN.

They need to add a section of code to every chair individually, and they're too lazy to do it, basically. I understand that it would be a fairly monumental task to do it all at once, but if they did the chairs on one or two planets with each major update (every 8 weeks), it would show that they care about the community and, eventually all of the chairs would be done with very little actual work. Still, this portable chair is a step in the right direction, but it really should be a common loot item rather than super-rare :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm not the only one who wants the chair to last longer.

How about a compromise: make the emote last many seconds, like the Twilek dance does. That has to be easier than programming it to be totally persistent. Especially when it is clear swtor is using the code from the carbonite chamber for the chair (the icon is the same).

• 1 month later...

Honestly it wouldn't be /that/ hard to program all the chairs to sit, especially since they are all the same design. All they really have to do is code one of each chair design then clone it over and over and over again and replace the current chairs. All in all it would take maybe a day or two? Less if they only replaced the chairs in Cantinas. The problem would come with lag and server space issues. Because that code would have to be constantly running it would create lag.It's why if you notice they don't have doors that open and close. Emotes though create almost no server lag because they are attached to the individual avatars. So that /shouldn't/ be a problem for them at all. Which is why I don't get why they don't just do it.

Also I would like to point out that It takes more effort and more resources to make the animation end after ten seconds the it does to leave it active.

Edited by BlueDesoma