Where Is It?

Kevinor

Hmmm.

I must have imagined the continuous, ear-splitting, often-clueless whinefest, and never mind the suggestions about devs' competence, bias and general cleanliness.

I'm all for more, and fresh, content. But let's not lose all tenuous grip on reality: when Obi-Wan called Mos Eisley the most wretched hive of scum and villainy, he was actually thinking of the SWTOR PvP forums.

A dog can bark loud and still be loyal. The whining is insane, but does that make them unsub at the first complaint? No, they're just loud and annoying, but they don't go away at the first hint of lack of content, because then no one would be left in this game at this point in time if that was the case. What happens to PvErs at the contrary? They just go because no one can resist farming the same new Operation every week for two months (who cares about the old ones, we farmed them 246537357 times before the new came, until being sick of them).

At least, that's what happened with my old guild ^^ only people who enjoyed PvP are left after more than a year.

Edited by TheHybris

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree that PvP has an inherent advantage over PvE in sustaining interest, because succeeding in PvE involves gearing up and then mechanically learning the same scripted routine to perfection. I got sick of PvE raids in Another Game and, other than story/levelling, pretty much solely PvP in SWTOR. Incidentally, arena strikes me as nearer the PvE model than warzones - about gear and who can best mechanically execute the optimal routine on the optimal classes. In both cases, more variables is more fun (for me at least).

I suppose PvP is a different beast to provide for than PvE, and maybe even more efficient: devs create the framework (combat mechanics, setting and objectives) and then the players create the battles themselves. In PvE the devs have to decide how the battle will go too. PvP would be about balancing a load of factors and then letting it go, whereas PVE would be about setting a series of puzzles requiring timed actions (and brute power) to complete.

Ran off with a thought there, sorry about that.

So - yes, would agree that PvP is easier to sustain because its player-created nature gives it much more variety. The problem is setting it up straight first, but that may also explain why we haven't seen as much PvP content - *because* PvP is more self-sustaining.

Edited by Wainamoinen

A dog can bark loud and still be loyal. The whining is insane, but does that make them unsub at the first complaint? No, they're just loud and annoying, but they don't go away at the first hint of lack of content, because then no one would be left in this game at this point in time if that was the case. What happens to PvErs at the contrary? They just go because no one can resist farming the same new Operation every week for two months (who cares about the old ones, we farmed them 246537357 times before the new came, until being sick of them).

At least, that's what happened with my old guild ^^ only people who enjoyed PvP are left after more than a year.

Dhaima! <3

I do agree with what's been said so far regarding player's loyalty to the game and the incessant whining that comes with it. After all, people wouldn't voice their concerns unless they ultimately cared. The biggest issue we have right now is the lack of diversity in the ranked match set up, not just in normal warzones, where essentially ranked becomes a race of who ever gets the cap first in node objective battlegrounds, and a Huttball win is determined by whoever has their CC immunity cooldowns ready after a score to prevent the enemy team from getting the ball first.

Node objective warzones can be easily won or lost depending on two factors: does your enemy team communicate effectively when incomings are inbound, and how many healers did they send your way.

Huttball is similar: is the Sniper/Gunslinger sitting next to the ball have Entrench activated? If yes, can your Sniper/Gunslinger get them out for CC? Is your Sin/Shadow alive, do they have Shroud/Resilience? If yes, score. If no, don't score and wait it out as long as possible. Issue here is again if the enemy team get the ball the ONLY way to kill them is by pulling them into a fire pit away from his healers, or by some miracle kill him/his support through shear dps and a race against time in hope that the enemy team doesn't score while this is all happening. More than likely though this is just futile and it's just easier to wait it out in middle.

My point is, certainly on ToFN, most teams are bored with the way ranked is played at the moment. Unfortunately until BW changes the impact of heals, dps or support, then the same old boring warzones we always play in will burn us out, and then we come here to moan about it, and eventually we'll quit and move on.

1. 12th April 2012 - Novare Coast Warzone
  2. 26th June 2012 - Ranked Warzones Pre-Season 1
  3. 11th December 2012 - Ancient Hypergates Warzone
  4. 9th April 2012 - Improved Bolster

So correct me if I'm wrong; but is the list I've given above an accurate reflection of the major PvP features/content introduced since release? (NB: I'm specifically excluding World PvP and the Ilum debacle and focusing on Warzones/structured PvP)

We now also have enough information about 2.1 to conclude there are no PvP features of any significance coming soon.

So I have a simple question: Where is the PvP content? What reason is there for PvP centric players to continue paying and playing?

I'm aware of two well-known and respected PvP Guilds on two different servers who have folded and/or disbanded this week. This is not a new thing either; I've watched PvPers bleeding from this game since the initial failure to introduce RWZs in 1.2.

And then BioWare asked the PvPers to shell out money just to let them reach the level cap and continue participating in RWZs; and incredibly managed to not include any PvP content in the expansion with the exception of a poorly implemented, poorly tested, and still broken Bolster system.

I don't think PvPers are asking for anything extraordinary. Personally all I'm looking for is a single new warzone every once and a while, some actual information and a road map for Season 1, any kind of information on the PvP roadmap for this game.

I'm sure your metrics tell you that only 2% of the population play RWZs regularly.... but at the rate you're releasing PvP content it will be .1% and you'll lose whatever "hardcore" PvP element still play this game. And I don't think a lot of those people are truly "hardcore" either; many just play for a couple of hours every couple of days but like to play something competitive while they do so.

Anyway; I suspect this isn't likely to get much notice, but it's the first time I've ever bothered posting here in the main forums... and for anyone who knows me they'll appreciate this is a pretty big deal to me. I may be only one customer; but I'm sure there are others out there who agree with me.

TL;DR: Where is the PvP content? Where is the information on PvP content? I'm seeing this game bleeding "good" PvPers and I don't think it would take much to keep at least some of them around... put some more damned effort into it please.

100% Agree

1. 12th April 2012 - Novare Coast Warzone
  2. 26th June 2012 - Ranked Warzones Pre-Season 1
  3. 11th December 2012 - Ancient Hypergates Warzone
  4. 9th April 2012 - Improved Bolster

So correct me if I'm wrong; but is the list I've given above an accurate reflection of the major PvP features/content introduced since release? (NB: I'm specifically excluding World PvP and the Ilum debacle and focusing on Warzones/structured PvP)

We now also have enough information about 2.1 to conclude there are no PvP features of any significance coming soon.

So I have a simple question: Where is the PvP content? What reason is there for PvP centric players to continue paying and playing?

I'm aware of two well-known and respected PvP Guilds on two different servers who have folded and/or disbanded this week. This is not a new thing either; I've watched PvPers bleeding from this game since the initial failure to introduce RWZs in 1.2.

And then BioWare asked the PvPers to shell out money just to let them reach the level cap and continue participating in RWZs; and incredibly managed to not include any PvP content in the expansion with the exception of a poorly implemented, poorly tested, and still broken Bolster system.

I don't think PvPers are asking for anything extraordinary. Personally all I'm looking for is a single new warzone every once and a while, some actual information and a road map for Season 1, any kind of information on the PvP roadmap for this game.

I'm sure your metrics tell you that only 2% of the population play RWZs regularly.... but at the rate you're releasing PvP content it will be .1% and you'll lose whatever "hardcore" PvP element still play this game. And I don't think a lot of those people are truly "hardcore" either; many just play for a couple of hours every couple of days but like to play something competitive while they do so.

Anyway; I suspect this isn't likely to get much notice, but it's the first time I've ever bothered posting here in the main forums... and for anyone who knows me they'll appreciate this is a pretty big deal to me. I may be only one customer; but I'm sure there are others out there who agree with me.

TL;DR: Where is the PvP content? Where is the information on PvP content? I'm seeing this game bleeding "good" PvPers and I don't think it would take much to keep at least some of them around... put some more damned effort into it please.

Bolster is the pvp content, so now you can pvp in your pve gear from raiding--oh wait.

I completely agree with ya kevin, well said! :) ..oh and arena would be so damn nice! and as someone said , a Team deathmatch would be awesome to :D .. lets put our hopes in 2.2, it has to be the patch we are waiting for.

Obviously you haven't played any Huttball lately, or even some AH. Seems all anyone does is deathmatch in those lately anyways.

Don't you all remember!? There Was communication about a new PvP update... Duhhhh!

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates/2.1-dance-of-the-hutts

Lol, in all seriousness though, I have no "credible" perception of the "bad" PvP status of this game because I am ramping my play back up.

However, when I do play, I queue whilst doing dailies and am progressing with my gear rather quickly and am having fun doing so. There's no doubt for the current casual player that there is a lot of content for me to go through before truly becoming bored with the "ho-hum" nature that is described in this thread.

On that note, imagining playing this game for as long and as intensely as I did swg... I can very well see how the game is lacking from a PvP perspective.

The game has a lot of PvP potential, and rest assured the developers know it too.

Speaking from the software development point of view, there is nothing more disappointing than to have a major feature of your product be lack luster and hated on and or misunderstood by the user base. As such, there is no way in my mind that bw will ditch PvP altogether.

Will the final product be what us PvP enthusiasts have envisioned? Maybe not.

Will it be robust? Possibly.

Will the community be ready to play it when it's released? Absolutely.

Will we still ***** out it not being enough? Absolutely, you can't please everyone.

Just like the launch of the game, patience and understanding will be a key component to the community's handling of the PvP situation that is present now.

It is imperative at this point that bw does two things:

*communicate their plans so as to manage expectations of any future revitilation of illum or ow PvP.

*carefully execute their PvP plans so as not to derail other initiatives related to other parts of the game that may piss off even more of the user base if not addressed.

Tldr ; chill out, there's reason for concern but no reason to barrade anyone over their performance. The game's quality relative to the mmo market is self evident as top tier. Quit the game or provide constructive feed back.. Constructively. Projects like this game are the heart and soul of these developer's careers, believe me, the last thing they want to do is fail.

Because it's what I'm used to... I thought this thread was going to be a rant on how we need season 1 to start and totally ignoring the fact that we need to fix PvP before season 1 begins.

I was wrong... just one good point after the other and worthy of a 5/5.

More and more PvP'ers leave and the content is barely enough to keep those of us who see the potential around.

Don't you all remember!? There Was communication about a new PvP update... Duhhhh!

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates/2.1-dance-of-the-hutts

You know...i actually got a bit annoyed at that joke. The pvp community asks for content and they make a joke about it and then mess up the little content we have completly.

They dont need our feedback, they need to show us their roadmap for pvp or they need to tell us that not much will be happening to pvp in any forseeable future - so people can abandon hope and leave peacefully.

The lolbolster was the final slap in the face for me. It should not even exist in 55 WZ's and yet they went 2 weeks without patching the painfully obvious bugs that a lot of people were using. If casual 55's want to PvP and not have to worry about gear, then they should make a separate queue for bolstered PvP so the care bears can run around naked face-tanking each other. These WZ's would provide no commendations since the people playing them don't want PvP gear. This would really solve multiple problems by separating the casuals from the "hardcore" PvP'ers which should (in theory) make both sets of WZ's more competitive. Then, the casuals would have nothing to complain about because there is no "giant gear gap" causing them to lose all the time. Bring back recruit gear for those that want to play unbolstered and get started with gear, problem solved. As it is, I'm out until bolster is gone or fixed to the point that it works properly (so maybe I'll check back in about 6 months). Edited by stendarrs

The lolbolster was the final slap in the face for me. It should not even exist in 55 WZ's and yet they went 2 weeks without patching the painfully obvious bugs that a lot of people were using. If casual 55's want to PvP and not have to worry about gear, then they should make a separate queue for bolstered PvP so the care bears can run around naked face-tanking each other. These WZ's would provide no commendations since the people playing them don't want PvP gear. This would really solve multiple problems by separating the casuals from the "hardcore" PvP'ers which should (in theory) make both sets of WZ's more competitive. Then, the casuals would have nothing to complain about because there is no "giant gear gap" causing them to lose all the time. Bring back recruit gear for those that want to play unbolstered and get started with gear, problem solved. As it is, I'm out until bolster is gone or fixed to the point that it works properly (so maybe I'll check back in about 6 months).

Bye. This idea is terrible, since removing bolster from one bracket that allows you to earn comms to buy gear with expertise while having another that bolsters but awards no comms effectively accomplishes nothing. You sound like a skill-lacking baddie who can only win because of superior gear. There are better solutions proposed on this forum, including having bolster adjust pve gear stats to ~90% of partisan (or whatever set would currently be available from regular comms) or simply fixing the bugs to the system as it's currently implemented, because if bolster were fully working-as-intended, it'd be excellent.

There's already a system in place to separate casuals from hardcores: it's called ranked warzones, which, obviously has been left to rot since its initial implementation.

Bye. This idea is terrible, since removing bolster from one bracket that allows you to earn comms to buy gear with expertise while having another that bolsters but awards no comms effectively accomplishes nothing. You sound like a skill-lacking baddie who can only win because of superior gear. There are better solutions proposed on this forum, including having bolster adjust pve gear stats to ~90% of partisan (or whatever set would currently be available from regular comms) or simply fixing the bugs to the system as it's currently implemented, because if bolster were fully working-as-intended, it'd be excellent.

There's already a system in place to separate casuals from hardcores: it's called ranked warzones, which, obviously has been left to rot since its initial implementation.

You don't get it. The fact that PvP gear even still exists means that people are still going to cry foul over the "humongous gear gap". Why not just give everyone a free set of something called...oh i dunno...let's just call it "recruit" gear for fun and make it 90% of partisan? Then you remove the equations/bugs/manipulations of the bolster system. The only....and I mean ONLY...benefit of having a bolster system is not having to augment 2 sets of gear. If people want to cry that hard over augments then build an augment slot in to the new recruit gear. If people can't be bothered to buy or craft some augments, then you have to wonder why even have gear at all. As soon as people hit 55, just "bolster" them all to exactly the same and let's all have a big group hug.

The pvp 'team' has nothing to offer. Layering development of bolster on live is a sure sign that the team is very small and doesn't have much to contribute. Ancient hypergate is a reskin of Khaine's Embrace from Warhammer Online. They have little to offer and that will take who knows how long to fully realize. My bet is bolster gets abandoned midway through development and you will have another half-arsed system to cry about.

You don't get it. The fact that PvP gear even still exists means that people are still going to cry foul over the "humongous gear gap". Why not just give everyone a free set of something called...oh i dunno...let's just call it "recruit" gear for fun and make it 90% of partisan? Then you remove the equations/bugs/manipulations of the bolster system. The only....and I mean ONLY...benefit of having a bolster system is not having to augment 2 sets of gear. If people want to cry that hard over augments then build an augment slot in to the new recruit gear. If people can't be bothered to buy or craft some augments, then you have to wonder why even have gear at all. As soon as people hit 55, just "bolster" them all to exactly the same and let's all have a big group hug.

So your entire argument is some people will still whine? The point of bolster is to reduce the gear gap to something that's not absurd like Recruit vs EWH was. Gear gaps will always exist in RPG-style games. Pvp gear and bolster, as implemented in this game, serve as a means to control TTK.

You're wrong about the benefit of bolster. It exists so that the devs don't have to go through and hand out gear to fresh 55s every time a new set is released and phases out a previous one. Instead, the bolster system just sets the pvp effectiveness of gear that isn't the currently available pvp gear to some percentage of the regular comms set. More people would complain that they hit 55 a few days before a patch came out that got rid of the Recruit gear they just got from the terminal and now they're stuck with crappier gear than people who just hit 55 and got Partisan.

And really, "he only....and I mean ONLY...benefit of having a bolster system is not having to augment 2 sets of gear"? Ignorance must be bliss.

You really are someone who's gear-reliant. If your last, sarcastic suggestion were implemented, it'd quickly point out design and balance flaws among the classes, and assuming all of those were addressed, pvp would be skill-based and we'd see who's truly bad at it. Really the only good idea you've had.

In addition to lack of new content, the expansion demolished the little content we already have. I personally stopped PvPing on regular basis, because of 1) lolster, 2) lack of class balance, 3) lack of predictability. I can't really tell what stats I will get with the gear I am wearing, 4) the 5 WZs we have are getting really old, 5)PvP gear was the carrot that keeps me grinding and I used in both PvP and PvE. With the PvP gear being below "basic" PvE gear, on top of all of the above, I found that my fun in WZs have diminished and I have no reason to be there. I was doing PvP dailies among 2 max lvl toons. Now I play around 4-5 WZs a week.

While PvP desperately need new content, BW completely ruined the fundamentals of PvP that we had. Before the expansion we had a decent PvP system, between gear and balance (note that it was not perfect). What was needed is little notches in class balance here and there and reducing the entry barrier for new players at max level to compete in PvP. We had the "wheel" in place and it was working for the most part. In the expansion, BW decided to recreate the wheel as rectangular wheel, needless to say, it is not working.

The pvp 'team' has nothing to offer. Layering development of bolster on live is a sure sign that the team is very small and doesn't have much to contribute. Ancient hypergate is a reskin of Khaine's Embrace from Warhammer Online. They have little to offer and that will take who knows how long to fully realize. My bet is bolster gets abandoned midway through development and you will have another half-arsed system to cry about.

I also agree with this. You've got F2P, you've got tons of money rolling in from Cartel Packs, you've got Bioware and the fanboys telling us that all this new money must clearly be good for the game - but looking at this expertise debacle it is abundantly obvious that there's probably only *1 PVP DEVELOPER* for the entire damn company. This is what makes me so angry about the whole F2P nonsense. Ok, do it if it makes you fat profits, but focus some of that into making the game better. Seems like the only thing that has come out of the last 8 months or so of F2P cash has been...a paid expansion? That lasts like a whole day to complete? With one new operation? Come on.

To actually post on-topic, the lack of content/information for/on pvp is pretty disappointing. I don't necessarily think we need more wzs, but fixed mechanics would be one of the greatest things we could get, in addition to rewards beyond gear. Same thing goes for pve comms. If there were little things to keep people playing other than just to kill other players, like pets, speeders, fun consumables, etc, it'd really increase the quality of gameplay.

So your entire argument is some people will still whine? The point of bolster is to reduce the gear gap to something that's not absurd like Recruit vs EWH was. Gear gaps will always exist in RPG-style games. Pvp gear and bolster, as implemented in this game, serve as a means to control TTK.

You're wrong about the benefit of bolster. It exists so that the devs don't have to go through and hand out gear to fresh 55s every time a new set is released and phases out a previous one. Instead, the bolster system just sets the pvp effectiveness of gear that isn't the currently available pvp gear to some percentage of the regular comms set. More people would complain that they hit 55 a few days before a patch came out that got rid of the Recruit gear they just got from the terminal and now they're stuck with crappier gear than people who just hit 55 and got Partisan.

And really, "he only....and I mean ONLY...benefit of having a bolster system is not having to augment 2 sets of gear"? Ignorance must be bliss.

You really are someone who's gear-reliant. If your last, sarcastic suggestion were implemented, it'd quickly point out design and balance flaws among the classes, and assuming all of those were addressed, pvp would be skill-based and we'd see who's truly bad at it. Really the only good idea you've had.

First of all, you really need to get over the "you're a baddie....ignorance must be bliss" not-so-passive-aggressive (though quite amusing) crap that you're spewing. You do realize that you're playing a MMORPG and not a pew pew shooter, right? Though, I'm sure you do more than your fair share of playing pew pew kid in the WZ's.

Gear is one of the biggest driving forces for many of the people that play MMO's. If you'll read my very first post over again, you'll see that I said I would be okay with bolster if...IF... it worked the way that it was intended. However, I'm not willing to pay/play a broken game for who knows how long it will take for them to fix the bolster system. The PvP development team is clearly a small one, and they seem to be spending a very large part of their time on a bolstering system that for the most part is neither wanted or needed. The only problem with the previous system is that the recruit gear just needed to be reworked to reduce the gap. The bolster system makes gearing feel obsolete and people lose interest. Look no further than the hundreds of other posts on the board to see how most people feel about bolster.

Some guy just posted a small novel on how to min/max with the bolster system. Please tell me, how is that healthy for the PvP community? Every time you go in to a WZ your stats get skewed the way BW thinks they should be. All people have to do is figure out the equations they are using and game the system for better stats. The bottom line is that bolster is broken and it would appear that there's no timeline for when it will be fixed. I'll take gear...even put me in recruit for all I care...over a system that's so broken. As a matter of fact, I think playing in recruit gear was a good thing because I had to squeeze as much potential out of my classes as possible. In the end, it made me a much better player, a not-so gear reliant player. A player that still topped the charts and played a vital role in winning WZ's even in recruit gear. So, there it is....pew pew....pew

" You do realize that you're playing a MMORPG and not a pew pew shooter, right? "

Such a meaningless cop out. What does that even mean? Who is this definitive authority that commands this? There's been many, many, many MMO RPGs with PVP that aren't gear centric. I don't really care that you played World of Warcraft, there's plenty of MMO's that do not have "gear treadmills" and SWTOR is not obligated to do everything WoW does/did.

PVP can choose to or choose not to include gear grind but at the very minimal use case it must include *COMPETITION*. You're not competing when you have 50% more health than the other guy because you refuse to play more than one toon and just grind all day. Stop trying to replace skill with time burn and learn to play.

Ignoring the rants about bolster, theres 100's of threads about it go post there you bolster QQers.

I agree with OP, /sign, we need more content. NO ARENAS. Arenas killed class balance in that other game where you got the idea from. It will killed the very few Ranked Warzone teams that are queing because most of those players will arena instead, since they dont have to wait for 7 other people, they only have to wait for 1,2,3 etc.

Arenas kill class balance, because there will always be a composition that cant be beat because of the mechanics the classes posess that are in the said composition. It also leads to class homogenization which further polarizes diversity of classes at the top. Class unbalance kills Ranked, regs, arenas, and PvP period. They cant balance around arenas, that other games we dont talk about devs admitted this and has seen thier game quality of PvP disinegrate since then.

Hard to argue with anything else OP said, well done, 100% agree.

Edited by Mikeieveli

" You do realize that you're playing a MMORPG and not a pew pew shooter, right? "

Such a meaningless cop out. What does that even mean? Who is this definitive authority that commands this? There's been many, many, many MMO RPGs with PVP that aren't gear centric. I don't really care that you played World of Warcraft, there's plenty of MMO's that do not have "gear treadmills" and SWTOR is not obligated to do everything WoW does/did.

PVP can choose to or choose not to include gear grind but at the very minimal use case it must include *COMPETITION*. You're not competing when you have 50% more health than the other guy because you refuse to play more than one toon and just grind all day. Stop trying to replace skill with time burn and learn to play.

Read past the first 2 lines. BTW, I've never played World of Warcraft so I have no idea what you're talking about. The "gear treadmill" was driven by the expansion and the decision of the developers. Since PvP gear is not intended to be used in PvE, they could have left the PvP gear "as-is" with no bolster. I'm not asking for a gear grind, but if they're going to make new PvP gear and then steal the expertise off my old PvP gear, then it better be for a good reason. I was honestly happier with the naked PvP, at least you knew where you stood and didn't have to try to figure out what kind of crazy **** is going to happen when the guy on the other team starts switching out enhancements and augments. BTW, I have 6 toons and it's really not that hard to put gear on them. Don't presume to call me out and then end your post with some "learn to play" BS. First, learn to read, then learn to comprehend.

Ignoring the rants about bolster, theres 100's of threads about it go post there you bolster QQers.

Point taken, and quite right at that. Well said by the OP, my bolster QQ should have been more direct in regards to time spent on the things that need fixing. I thought PvP was quite fun at the end of 1.7 and was excited to see some new abilities implemented. It now feels like a step back due to some imbalance and the aforementioned gear/bolster issues. I'm afraid there's so much to fix now that it may be a long time until anything new is brought to the PvP world. But on the plus side...you can finally change your hairstyle :p