raid on arcanum

nikulka

Please excuse Bioware for making something which is actually not only FAR more fun than using a Seeker Droid, but also adds some much needed variation within the already known formula. After all, they do not know what they do... :D

- - - -

On a more serious note, I love the Arcanum instance. Light on the storyline but so much fun and caters for both group and solo approach, by scaling it accordingly. Can't ask for more.

First attempt...failed because of jumps, incredibly frustrating. Left it alone until last night: second attempt, managed to get through it and have to say that even though the final boss was crazy-easy it really was exhilarating. Bit my nails and hyperventilated after most of the jumps but in retrospect it was fun :)

But I empathize, OP. I hate despise loathe revile jumping. I also imagine those with rocket boots just zoom through the place...if ever there was a subtle nudge towards buying the legacy unlock for rocket boots, it's The Arcanum :rolleyes:

I did it on my first try & loved it, especially the mid-way boss and the explanation of the stolen staff.

One problem though: my brother in arms and healer just can't get the jumps before patient 0 right. His toon just won't jump. Could it be a bug with the vectorial maps?

My wife, who is horrible at jumping, only died one time on this mission.... The Jumps are not as bad as some for datacrons, which of some I also have trouble with. Jumps may be frustrating, but it is also a different kind of challenge and that is refreshing just as much as frustrating. :) Edited by Themanthatisi

Have gotten a little better at the jumping-thing now. Arcanum was a lot of fun, managed the H4-jumping-session for the marcrobinoculars without too many restarts. I think it is fun. There are many people in the guild who are far better than me at jumping but I am glad that this is something different, a new type of challenge.

well, after 50+ deaths trying to jump, i give up. i'll scrap this quest line and never touch it again. thanks bio for making something this frustrating.

Try doing it with someone else, preferably one that can pull (or push) you across. In my experience, a sorc/sage works best for this using extrication/rescue to tug you across the more difficult jumps.

That said, I solo'd it without too much difficulty (and a few "thank the maker I have phase walk" moments). The key, I found, is patience and to step away from it for a bit if you're struggling - frustration just leads to worse and worse jumps.

• 4 weeks later...
Ditto. Got better things to do with my time than waste it on this sort of rubbish.

Same here. Gave it up on my Sorc (even have rocket boots), and I was still dying because there is something with the jump controls in this game where I never seem to be able to jump consistently. I was either not jumping at all, or hitting the ledges then dropping.

• 1 month later...
This has to be The worst ever quest/mission I have ever come across in an MMO.Been on this now for 3 hours and I'm being screwed by The ridiculous jumps,some of which have to be made from tiny square boxes with no chance of a run-up resulting in a fail at every attempt........Like I say....This mission is awful :(

This has to be The worst ever quest/mission I have ever come across in an MMO.Been on this now for 3 hours and I'm being screwed by The ridiculous jumps,some of which have to be made from tiny square boxes with no chance of a run-up resulting in a fail at every attempt........Like I say....This mission is awful :(

All i can say is: Are you even trying? Ran through it without any difficulty at all, only had to climb to jump 3 times, because usually you can just walk, never even had to use rocket boots... And i never encountered a single small box jump, every jump had atleast 3-5 yards of running before the jump, so i'm assuming you didnt climb far enough and are now attempting a jump where none was intended.

Edited by Karness

• 1 month later...

Just wait to see end chain H4 jump wagon...

Super Mario quest in MMO on bad engine with lag ... priceless.

Only way to do this with my wife was to jump both characters ... leave my laptop, go to move her char... back and again.

2nd time with a friend - he just use Sage friendly pull on her and we waited till it is up for next jump.

Stupid to the boot.

And end chain H4 is 2 levels above this in stupidity ... jumping on moving platforms and NPC that chock you down.

Go to your consoles and play Mario if you are so tainted with it.

Ok some people are being ridiculous, the jumping is not that hard and while jumping in the final part of the

Shroud

quest line can be a bit problematic, its not a hard as you are making up to be.

Sure its not a platforming game but its a nice change of pace from the same old "kill a set number of these creatures" or "go fetch that item and bring it back", and yes i know those are standard rpg quest and i don't mind them one bit,but a bit of diversity in quests department never hurts.

Edited by Raidmyster

The jumping part is hard for me, but doable. The part I have the most trouble with is Patient Zero, but after leveling a little more, I was able to wear him down...the part that ticked me off was getting past him and almost to the end where the last jump is and then falling! I was so frustrated that it happened that I put the mission away for the night. People who have trouble jumping aren't being "babies" nor are they being "ridiculous" when they say they're fed up with this quest. It can be frustrating to die so many times. There is a trick I noticed when jumping though. If you turn your camera so you're looking down over the "divide," you'll notice a little ledge hanging out...jump there....it's much easier. hth

Same here. Gave it up on my Sorc (even have rocket boots), and I was still dying because there is something with the jump controls in this game where I never seem to be able to jump consistently. I was either not jumping at all, or hitting the ledges then dropping.

^^ This.

Timing of hitting your jump and when you actually jump is inconsistent. Even a slight bit of lag will kill a proper jump off a tiny box across a wide ledge. Jumping off boxes with a tiny edge that you can get caught on... that's frustrating too. I don't find any challenge in trying to jump off of poorly designed items in the game. I finished the quest on my 5th attempt from the start, but I absolutely understand those who are frustrated by this mission. I love you SWTOR, but to be honest, I'd rather be killed 20 times by a boss and pay the repair bills than be frustrated by a mission like this.

Really guys? I often have horrible lag and I am the absolute worst at these jumping passages (I also suck at Mario games that are not Mario Kart, so it's not just this game :D), getting to the Endurance datacron on Makeb took me 5 hours in total. But I only fell 1 time, just once, during the Arcanum mission. And it was so early that it was barely an issue.

Also, I haven't checked lately, but for the H4 near the end of the Macrobinocular series, there was a "sweet spot" a little before the 2nd checkpoint where if you fall you would respawn at the checkpoint closest to the end (where the droid can be killed), I don't know if it was removed, but it sure helped me out :p