Way to WoW it! Too many abilities!

Regis_Blade

I've gotten back into playing SWTOR again JUST for the story because the game play itself sucks. There are WAY too many abilities just like in World of Warcraft. I was really hoping to enjoy the game thoroughly but instead they HAD to build it just like WoW and it's ...Not terrible ... but it does really suck. I know many ...apparently, many people enjoy having waaaay too many skills but I for one really like to enjoy a game for it's visual aspect and NOT need a PHD to play it :D There is complicated and then there is just stupid , extra , just-for-the-hell-of-it complicated. I really hate to see that SWTOR took the WoW route that even blizzard has gotten away from.

This is just my 2 cents. The way I feel. But it doesn't stop me from subbing and buying extra cartel coins while I wait for FFXIV:ARR to relaunch so they must be doing something right even if the controls suck :D

All in all, I do like SWTOR , I just wish they'd come up with their own way of doing stuff instead of feeling like they had to copy WoW just to make it in the market ....because apparently that doesn't work for anyone except blizzard lol

SW:TOR's general style of play is actually derived from WAR, not WoW. The majority of the SW:TOR team came directly from development on that game. In turn, WAR was heavily influenced by DAoC. In fact, WoW borrowed a lot more from this vein of games than they have from WoW's EQ vein.

To many abilities?? Are you serious?? They didn't really add any.. Some were taken away and others added.. For most classes it was a wash..

What abilities are you talking about?? Do you have like 4 different speeders on your button bar?? Perhaps a bunch of toys as well?? Both the Kolto tank to heal and the Carbonite case??

As for wow?? Ummmm.. Yeah.. Whatever.. :rolleyes:

What class are you talking about?

Ony first class, Jedi Guardian, when I was levelling, very soon I found that there were too many abilities to use - even at quite early levels with my regular rotation (ok, I guess tank classes can be more complex).

However, with my 28 DPS Powertech, nearly every fight I'm wishing for some more buttons to press. The same for my Jedi Shadow, where at level 27, it still seems to be just 3 or do abilities that you'd typically use when engaged in combat - I find myself using Telekinetic Throw just for the variety (this is a really bad ability to use for Shadows).

Anyone else feel that the classes have too much - or too little - abilities?

I'd like to start off by saying I've never played WoW.

Too many abilities? really?

Fair enough, Gw1 only let you use like 9 at a time on a bar (though you can use that many on SWTOR if you wanted) but there was like a 1000 abilities you could choose from. How in the name is there too many abilities in SWTOR?..

on EQ2 My sk has around 50 abilities. Maybe closer to 60. You use around 35 of them non stop, plus 5 CDs or so.

Again, non. stop. You spam -all- of them in an attempt to hold agro.

SW:TOR has a nice amount of abilities, and you're not supposed to use all of them.

I'll continue to cite Force Unleashed and Battlefront series as proof that it doesn't take a giant, complicated rotation to make gameplay fun.

For that matter, I'll also cite Warframe. It's got a quickbar system, and only a total of six abilities available at any given moment, and its gameplay is fun as hell. (Everything beyond gameplay is lacking, but still.)

I just wish they'd come up with their own way of doing stuff instead of feeling like they had to copy WoW just to make it in the market ....because apparently that doesn't work for anyone except blizzard lol

Yeah because WoW is the first and only game to ever use this method of promoting a wide variety of skills and abilities. :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

Edited by Hardwear

I'll continue to cite Force Unleashed and Battlefront series as proof that it doesn't take a giant, complicated rotation to make gameplay fun.

In Battlefront you could also kill people with 1 shot (headshot or, in battlefront 2, with a shotgun when you were so close that all the bullets hit). That wouldn't work in TOR, either.

Too much abilites? Complicated gameplay? Very True! In my opinion those are the reasons why I find this game so entertaining, especially in PVP. Because when I achieve something very hard and complicated, it just satisfies my ego. :D Edited by barkinsagin

I guess the OP never played EQ2. I had close to 7 full hotbars there, with the majority being things I used regularly. Granted that also counted various consumables, but still it was a lot more than SWTOR. Honestly I've yet to fill up all 4 hotbars on any of my characters, and from my experience you only use around 10 abilities on a regular basis.

Except neither one of those games are MMOs.

And MMOs don't have to follow exactly the same pattern. Hence why I cited Warframe, which is a third-person shoot-em-up/beat-em-up.

What matters isn't, "Is the game like all the other MMOs out there?", but "Is this gameplay fun and engaging?"

@Headshot comment: Obviously not everything has to be the same as in other games.

@Headshot comment: Obviously not everything has to be the same as in other games.

Personally I think this is the difference that makes little abilities work on Battlefronts. In SWTOR, "skill" means that you know what ability to activate after what ability. In battlefront, "skill" usually was that you were able to aim your gun when both you and the enemy were moving.

And MMOs don't have to follow exactly the same pattern. Hence why I cited Warframe, which is a third-person shoot-em-up/beat-em-up.

What matters isn't, "Is the game like all the other MMOs out there?", but "Is this gameplay fun and engaging?"

Again apples to oranges this is an MMO, Warframe is an action adventure co-op completely different expectations.

Again apples to oranges this is an MMO, Warframe is an action adventure co-op completely different expectations.

Alright then, Maplestory. It's a highly successful MMO with more engaging and addictive intrinsic gameplay qualities than I've ever experienced in an MMO. (Extrinsically lacking perhaps, but that's another issue.)

It is very different from other MMOs, yet it works.

Edited by ZoeTuah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.