The Old Republic Insider - April 2013

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the two main questions are: When is this coming out, and is it coming to the PTS?

I believe they said 5-8 weeks for release, so it could come out as early as the 14th. Hoping it will be on PTS but it's unlikely. Anyone have any other info on these questions?

I remember having to pay an initial $25 to change my appearnce in WoW.

These guys made this game F2P. They have to make their money some way.

This game is not actually F2P, it's "freemium." Not the same things, but in any case, there is a way to make plenty of money:

Release a quality to product that people will want to sub to for the right reasons, not just because the restrictions on freebs/preferred are so downright spitefully asinine.

E:

I really wish all these squee-on-cue BioDrones would...go away. Just go away.

Edited by midianlord

This game is not actually F2P, it's "freemium." Not the same things, but in any case, there is a way to make plenty of money:

Release a quality to product that people will want to sub to for the right reasons, not just because the restrictions on freebs/preferred are so downright spitefully asinine.

E:

I really wish all these squee-on-cue BioDrones would...go away. Just go away.

We get that you don't like the game. You need to get that we don't care. The game is succeeding with the current setup. Your personal preferences are completely irrelivent.

Wow, I've always been impressed with the incredibly good looking armor in the game, the unify colour option and the cartel sets but Bioware is going big this time, I cannot wait to see the options given to me to customize the look of my character. Keep up the good work on the game, the cartel market and the frequent updates and you can count on people like myself to keep subscribing. This is an MMO worth the monthly fee.

The ironic thing here is that your subscription gets you none of the things in the video.

The ironic thing here is that your subscription gets you none of the things in the video.

... And that's quite annoying dont you think? We suscribe for what? Avantages everyone can buy via cartel points, paying ONE TIME only?

Oh well, we can go in battlefields etc... yeah... Cool story for 15$/month... And we pay in the cartel too, to get new things... Double pain in fact.

Thanks Bioware, and enjoy! You just lost one more suscriber.

Quick question - will it be possible to change hair colour in barber shop? And when exactly is it coming live?
I believe so, yes. And it's schedualed to come out 5-8 weeks since 2.0.

It all looks great but when is character/legacy cartell coin paid name changing service coming in?
2.1. Read the fansites shown in the community update thing. Good info, including that.

Hey if you can change your species, the color of your armor, why not offer a ONE TIME advanced class switch. Some people won't want to do it, some will, like myself. I don't think it is such a bad idea, especially what with all the new content. Some just get tired of tanking, dps, heals, whatever. Who want's to re-roll at lvl 55? Not me, but playing the other class would be fun.

Can we change bodysize?

Yes.

Hey if you can change your species, the color of your armor, why not offer a ONE TIME advanced class switch. Some people won't want to do it, some will, like myself. I don't think it is such a bad idea, especially what with all the new content. Some just get tired of tanking, dps, heals, whatever. Who want's to re-roll at lvl 55? Not me, but playing the other class would be fun.

I'm going to guess there's a technical reason. For one, you have certain advanced-class-specific abilities you buy from your trainer. When you switch classes, there would have to be a system in place to determine which ones you've bought. Wiping them is out of the question, no one wants to spend an extra 300k or more when they switch advanced classes. Additionally, the Sith Warrior's and Jedi Knight's advanced classes have a difference in armor. If you're changing from a Sith Juggernaut to a Sith Marauder, and you have fully augmented dps gear, all of those augment slots are rendered worthless. Furthermore, if switching from, say, Sith Juggernaut tank to Sith Marauder which would be dps, you also lose all of the gear progress you have made. This is rather self-inflicted but would still cause problems. Probably the biggest issue this would cause, though, is the fragmentation of countless guild operation groups across the game. It's friday night and your group is forming up. Where's your Assassin tank? Oh, he's a sorcerer now. WHAT?! Oh yeah, and he renamed his character and quit the guild, too, so you can't even talk to him. ¿!¡?

Edited by idnewton

Confirmed no.

So this Update Is basecly Waste of time...cus can Costumise ur char All over egain but can't change gender lol thats some Mindless stuff... i was Hoping for this Update to come out but now there is no gender change then its useless to me.

Edited by yosniel

So this Update Is basecly Waste of time...cus can Costumise ur char All over egain but can't change gender lol thats some Mindless stuff... i was Hoping for this Update to come out but now there is no gender change then its useless to me.

The gender change would effect the story coding from companion characters so I can understand why that won't likely happen. As a subscriber I enjoy some feature of the Cartel Market but also agree that they need to either raise the stipend and/or add some Subscriber and Collectors Edition Exclusives and benefits to the game to the game. I subscribe and own the collectors edition pro-ordered before initial launch. I even participated in the beta but am not sure I will continue to do so for too much longer if I'm not getting the Value for my subscription. The Economy is in bad shape and what's happening to subscribers is basically price gouging. I like the idea of Customization in the armor and such. What I laugh about is the Species unlocks on the Cartel Market are for F2P and subs but species I've unlocked via leveling to 50 are no longer unlocked if I go F2P so again subs and preferred accounts get shafted.

BioWare and EA, please think about your subscribers instead of just getting money from those who don't subscribe. More importantly, if you offer real benefits to subscribers that will save them money in the long term beyond the monthly stipend you may get more regular subscribers out of it. Excellent Customer Service will get you more customers than what you are currently doing to those of us who do pay for service every month.:(:(:(:(

When/where was it said 5-8 weeks?
I looked for the quote but I couldn't find it. I remember it was from a credible source though (dev interview on fansites, official swtor video, dev post, something of the sort).

Until you've made games yourself or even done minor coding, I hardly think you in any position to call the decision useless or a waste of time. Gender change is very difficult, overly time-consuming and ultimately unimportant. It affects your gear, your companion quests, your class story, planet story, and character customization features. I'd be careful when throwing around 'mindless,' especially when it pulsates from you like a Volatile Conquerer's lightsaber.

Edited by idnewton

It'd be nice if an upcoming patch fixed the achievement system. Some of the space mission bonus mission achievements don't work, as well as the PvP damage and healing achievements. Edited by idnewton

So you say it affects storyline and companion quests, but if ur done with ur story and level 55 and have done ur companions then u wont see difference

Because your companion Story is tied to this and when they add more content in the future they may add more companion related story as well. This is one of the things BioWare is est known for, the actually Story aspect of their games that make them more interesting to play. In addition as the previous poster also mentioned, computer programming is a labor intensive process and they would need to go in and re-code so much to make that possible