What would it have been like...

KaruulJensen

... if Bioware had waited until the game was finished to release it? Imagine, just a few months delay, Legacy system all set in place, group finder on launch day, cross server FP's and WZ's. The amount of money they would have gotten from subs not fleeing the game would have allowed them to fix all the dumb glitches in the game, create an actual expansion, solid response to issues. What dreams would have come had SWTOR not shuffled its mortal coil a few months after its launch....

... if Bioware had waited until the game was finished to release it? Imagine, just a few months delay, Legacy system all set in place, group finder on launch day, cross server FP's and WZ's. The amount of money they would have gotten from subs not fleeing the game would have allowed them to fix all the dumb glitches in the game, create an actual expansion, solid response to issues. What dreams would have come had SWTOR not shuffled its mortal coil a few months after its launch....

So many "what if" questions. But whats done is done. SWTOR already has a bad reputation and unfortunately that will never go away, even if it is improving. Oh well serves them right for pushing it out too quickly. This game had so much potential but nope it flopped. Hopefully ESO will be good.

Edited by DarthWoad

There is no "done" in MMO games, it is a genre that by its definition keeps evolving. Yes, postponing the release to at least finish with Karraga's Palace might be better, but what was done was done.

I personally assume that people who burned through the content and started yapping about how the game was bad would still do so, it might postpone it for maybe few weeks or a month, but that is it.

I still think that the main problem was that BW spend massive amount of time of ridiculously complex server transfer system which has yet to see its full utilization, which drove many people from the "ghost town" servers away. If they forced the transfers without the need of website interface, it might have gone better.

Which translates to 'It wasn't done'.

No. See the comment starting with "there is no done."

To Bioware's defense I think every new mmo that comes out lately has run into these problems because the market is saturated to the point that the average mmo consumer is an advance player and there are not many new players coming in. Every gamer that would have played an mmo has by now.

WoW's success is due to starting in an earlier period prior to this market saturation, establishing a dedicated fanbase, and then living through this current period with a machine-like expansion and content patch process.

Edited by Toat

No. See the comment starting with "there is no done."

To Bioware's defense I think every new mmo that comes out lately has run into these problems because the market is saturated to the point that the average mmo consumer is an advance player and there are not many new players coming in. Every gamer that would have played an mmo has by now.

WoW's success is due to starting in an earlier period prior to this market saturation, establishing a dedicated fanbase, and then living through this current period with a machine-like expansion and content patch process.

I was happy with what we had at launch really, endgame didn't matter to me when we could make alts and have fun with their class stories. I liked WoW pre-wrath, now it is just dull and boring.

This topic is a contradiction of the highest level, an mmo is never finished until they shut down the servers.

This begs another question, what do you think the lifetime of this game will be? With all it's flaws, I still enjoy playing it, I think playing through the story lines are fun, and being given options on how to respond to quests instead of turn in 5 herbs, get bracers, is awesome, but my fun only means something to the people in charge of this game if it makes them money. At what point do they pull out and end the game?

This begs another question, what do you think the lifetime of this game will be? With all it's flaws, I still enjoy playing it, I think playing through the story lines are fun, and being given options on how to respond to quests instead of turn in 5 herbs, get bracers, is awesome, but my fun only means something to the people in charge of this game if it makes them money. At what point do they pull out and end the game?

When EA decides to try again with a new MMO game. :p

It was done (enough). Every single MMO that has ever existed has added features post-launch. Your post presumes that unlimited funding and patience existed. MMOs have to launch as soon as practicable. Too much money on the line to keep the project a cost center.

My guess is if they had been given a 3 extra months their would have been no group finder, or end game content. They would have maybe got legacy out and maybe added a few more tweaks but my honest belief if they thought lv 1 - 49 content was going to take 6 months and when we finished that we would roll an alt and they had 1 - 2 years to get end game content out not 1 -2 months.

Having no cross-servers was a conscious decision on their part, and I much supported it back in the day. Had the game been more successful, with a wider end game, I'd probably still prefer the no cross-server system of a cross-server system.

It's just... the game fell flat on its face. Very little end game, and what end game there was was copied from WoW, riddled with bugs and not very difficult. Once they had finished the game, they should've started building content to slowly release for over a year, before release. Massive content updates every 2 months for about a year. I think that'd keep people hooked.

Edited by Majspuffen

All mmos have flaws, they can be bug based, features specific people think are missing. In a group of 10 people you will have most say 30 different features that are missing and nearly all of them say there feature is more important so can that really be a flaw.

Quests like you mention are part and parcel of pve mmos and every quest when its boiled down is go fetch, go kill or go take this thing there. So complaining about that is pointless.

For this games lifespan, who knows. how long is a bit of string. MMO's have lasted over a decade and still retain profits, some dont. Some have there license taken away and with others the parent company simply shuts it down for no apparent reason. I see this game easily lasting a decade, disney have no need to remove the license, they are quite happy to have competing titles running against each other as all bring in money.

And at what point do EA pull out of an mmo, basically when the last person leaves and turns the light out. Just look at ultima online thats been running for 15 years and ea still is happy for it to run along at its own pace aslong as it has a fanbase.

They would have run out of money and the game most likely would have collapsed in a huge mess of lawsuits and legal battles.

An MMORPG is never finished. It is always in a constant state of enhancement, upgrade, and expansion.