Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

When will we see new active sub numbers?

Toat

The investors are loving the returns they are getting currently, the Cartel Market is doing very well.

Last person i talked to over returns said basically for every $1 they get $34 in return currently ( though all not exclusively to TOR)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's curious that people claim that WOW is worse than TOR, since, y'know,

-TOR was forced to go F2P (and not WOW)

-Activision last fiscal year was once of it's best ever, and EA president resignated

-WOW have in North America alone over 200 servers. In over 8 years, the situation about low pop never got to the point that they HAD to close servers or even merge them (TOR managed to have force server merges within six months) (1)

Besides, it's silly for TOR to compare with WOW now, since, guess what ? TOR is a free game, WOW is a paying one. They were comparable in fiscal revenues previously, they are not comparable now. BTW, it's really hilarious to see people mocking WOW asian subs when a large chunk of TOR players are paying even less than Asian players...

(1)Even if half of the said servers are ''ghost towns'' (which is a wild exagerration), that would still means that there are 10 times more active WOW servers in NA than TOR servers.

And as for TOR making money, I would like to point out something that is a fact, and not speculation.

The Old Republic is not even mentionned in the two last investors reports of EA.

Completely incorrect.

SWTOR and FIFA are both leaders in cash creation for EA. Pull up the last quarter announcement.

Edited by Arkerus

I'm not sure why some of you are comparing this game to wow from a success standpoint. Active mmo may be the only comparison, unless of course you think the 10 servers in this game count more than the hoards they have

I'm not sure why some of you are comparing this game to wow from a success standpoint. Active mmo may be the only comparison, unless of course you think the 10 servers in this game count more than the hoards they have

Personally I don't really care what people call success other than what success can really be measured by. II look at myself. If I am having fun that is a success. If EA is making a lot of money from TOR, that is a success. If the sub numbers are growing, that is success on a whole.

Number of servers means nothing, and yet people bring it up like it means anything. EVE has one server, ESO will have one server. Does that mean they are/will be both failures? Unless you can guarantee that each server on each game can and does house the same amount of players then it's just apples and oranges.

What matters is the number of players. Alternatively if server numbers mean so much I could just release a text based multiplayer game with 100,000 servers to choose from. It may only have 2 players, but it'll totally be the best game ever with all those servers!

Ok, I always post in good faith.

Here is what I assume is an EA investor report for the last quarter (release january 2013)

There is not a single mention of the old republic there.

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=736891

Jorgensen said that SWTOR, among other titles, helped to contribute a tidy sum to the company: "Extra content and free-to-play contributed $185 million, up 50% led by FIFA and Madden Ultimate Team and Star Wars: The Old Republic."

3rd quarter earning call.

Edited by Arkerus

Simple fact of the matter is Subscription numbers are no longer the measurement for SWTOR's success. Cartel Market sales are. So, the question you really want to ask is, "Is the Cartel Market making enough of a profit to keep the game alive for a long time to come?"

:cool:

Do sub numbers really matter? No. The servers a heavily populated (and are still there), and AzuthTheHighOne's link to the Joystiq article proves that FTP has done wonders for SWTOR. And honestly, what do you care what the subscription numbers are, anyway? It won't impact your Ops, or your PvP, or your RP, or whatever it is you like to do in SWTOR. Even if the game was on the verge of collapse (which I'm sure it isn't) then Bioware would have announced it in advance. So, no. Don't worry about it, the game is profitable, and I, for one, don't care about numbers beyond that point.

What I linked you is the third quarter investor call.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/31/ea-pleased-with-swtor-f2p-so-far/

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/30/ea-releases-q3-earnings-call/

You must of missed where they talk about it.

Electronic Arts held a Q3 conference call today and released some earning calls with information related to SWTOR.

Extra content and free-to-play contributed $185 million, up 50% led by FIFA and Madden Ultimate Team and Star Wars: The Old Republic. These revenues relate to businesses on PC or consoles, where consumers pay for additional digital content — including virtual characters, map packs and micro-transactions associated with browser based games or MMO’s – like Star Wars. As a reminder, on November 15th we launched our free-to-play option for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Very early indications have been positive and we are pleased with the initial results but it is too early to know how successful this will be in the long term.

Subscriptions, advertising, and other digital revenue contributed $79 million, growing 18% over the same period last year. The current year includes a full quarter of Star Wars subscriptions, but it was offset by a decline in other licensing digital revenue. As a reminder, the non-GAAP revenue continues to exclude our Battlefield 3 Premium subscription service. For the third quarter, Battlefield 3 Premium generated $28 million in sales, bringing the total premium revenue for the first three quarters to approximately $108 million. We will recognize these sales as revenue in the fourth quarter when we release the fifth expansion pack, entitled End Game, and as another reminder, all of the development and delivery costs have been recognized in the previous quarters.

Basically, this means that F2P for SWTOR is doing quite well, but it is early to tell how successful it will be in the long term. Subscription revenue also increased, partly due to SWTOR, but the earnings were offset by other properties within EA.

Jorgensen said that SWTOR, among other titles, helped to contribute a tidy sum to the company: "Extra content and free-to-play contributed $185 million, up 50% led by FIFA and Madden Ultimate Team and Star Wars: The Old Republic."

3rd quarter earning call.

wait for May 7 for the newest one

Do sub numbers really matter? No. The servers a heavily populated (and are still there), and AzuthTheHighOne's link to the Joystiq article proves that FTP has done wonders for SWTOR. And honestly, what do you care what the subscription numbers are, anyway? It won't impact your Ops, or your PvP, or your RP, or whatever it is you like to do in SWTOR. Even if the game was on the verge of collapse (which I'm sure it isn't) then Bioware would have announced it in advance. So, no. Don't worry about it, the game is profitable, and I, for one, don't care about numbers beyond that point.

Subscription numbers are everything to an MMO. They are stable revenue that the company can plan around. Cash shop numbers will fluctuate and inevitably decrease over time as the game's newness wears off.

And don't expect anything more than what ever is the legal minimum notice of the game shutting down, not that I think it's close, but if I got that email tomorrow I would only be mildly surprised.

Simple fact of the matter is Subscription numbers are no longer the measurement for SWTOR's success. Cartel Market sales are. So, the question you really want to ask is, "Is the Cartel Market making enough of a profit to keep the game alive for a long time to come?"

^This.

People who speak about active and non-active accounts in a F2P game don't understand how F2P works account-wise. Anyone can have multiple accounts, at any time. That goes for legit players as well as china farmers and so on. Open up an account, let it untouched for a few months. Is it active? No? Whoops, you just logged in? Active now? Yes? Whoops, gone for a few more months? So, what is this account now, active or not? How could anyone measure this?

2 million new accounts is keen and all that, but uh ... how many of these accounts are actually in use and generate money? And of those that generate money, how much do they generate? What's the sum? <-- That's the important question in a F2P game.

In any case, overall EA (BW is part of it) isn't doing great. They just had to close another studio recently.

Personally I don't really care what people call success other than what success can really be measured by. II look at myself. If I am having fun that is a success. If EA is making a lot of money from TOR, that is a success. If the sub numbers are growing, that is success on a whole.

+1

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the success of the game.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but what I linked is an official call, and they are not mentionning it.

Willfully ignorant. Fantastic.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/31/ea-pleased-with-swtor-f2p-so-far/

Are you saying EA and the media are both lying about the investor call? I didn't think so.

And just in case you need to dig, the source is right there. It's linked in black and white. Try again pal. Keep them coming. I love knockin them down.

Edited by Arkerus

Well in business success is measured by profit. But I agree with what you are saying, if the game is making money and growing it is some form of success. Comparing it to wow as a business though is like comparing the cowboys and the jaguars, one has made quite abit more money than the other.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but what I linked is an official call, and they are not mentionning it.

What you are posting are the highlights before the call. This is listed in your highlights.

Conference Call and Supporting Documents

Electronic Arts will host a conference call on January 30, 2013 at 2:00 pm PT (5:00 pm ET) to review its results for the third quarter ended December 31, 2012 and its outlook for the future. During the course of the call, Electronic Arts may disclose material developments affecting its business and/or financial performance. Listeners may access the conference call live through the following dial-in number: 773-799-3213 (domestic) or 888-677-1083 (international), using the password "EA" or via webcast at http://ir.ea.com.

If you go here, on their official website, you will see a link for the transcript of the call.

http://ir.ea.com/

Here is one tiny quote from the big transcript.

Breaking the digital revenues down by type for Q3 shows the following. First, full game downloads contributed $44 million, down 57% compared to the same period

last year. Full game downloads have typically been driven by PC products such as Battlefield and Star Wars, and this quarter we did not have any PC-centric titles. The

majority of our Q3 digital revenue full-game downloads came from FIFA, Medal of Honor, and Need for Speed. We believe that full-game downloads will grow in the

future.

Extra content and free to play contributed $185 million, up 50%, led by FIFA and Madden Ultimate Teams and Star Wars - The Old Republic. These revenues relate to

businesses on PCs or consoles where consumers pay for additional digital content, including virtual characters, map packs and microtransactions associated with

browser-based games or MMOs like Star Wars.

Direct link ti transcript is: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2442050916x0x632104/45e55ae1-cab7-43dc-9cf3-138385a4e30c/Q3%20FY13%20Transcript.pdf

Edited by AzuthTheHighOne

And as for TOR making money, I would like to point out something that is a fact, and not speculation.

The Old Republic is not even mentionned in the two last investors reports of EA.

And I would like to point out that you are completely full of $hit, I've read them, even searched the PDF for Star Wars specifically, SWTOR. Is all over their quarterlies, so which are you, stupid or liar?

That is pretty much the reality yes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.