Bioware, do you know the PVP map cycling is an issue right now?

Individual

Actually quite the opposite, seeing the WZ sample and the streaks lottery winners are falling within the expected probability. You are forgetting all those people who are not posting here because they are not seeing these streaks.

Sure, some might not post because they have no issues, maybe not playing even enough warzones to see it. But n the other hand, people who post on forums are also just the tip of the iceberg and there are surely plenty more who experience the same map cycling but don't care enough to post on the forums. Before I was looking just for that kind of thread I talked with others and almost everyone I talked to said that something is off with the map cycling since patch 2.0, so I don't think we all imagine things here. And I play since early access in december 2011, and have done plenty of warzones, and it was never like it currently is (with the exception of huttball back when that was the only warzone that one could play against the own faction).

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What ??

The probability of a streak of 3 identical Warzones using random assignment would be 0.2^2=0.04 or 4%. Again the probability of having a streak of 4 or more goes down precipitously.

Last weekend I experienced Ancient Hypergate 6 times in a row! In fact

First qoute is yours second two are from Dev posts

First qoute is yours second two are from Dev posts

No I meant what you are trying to say wasn't very clear, but I will take a stab on it.

Just because it is simple test, it doesn't mean what they saw was "wrong". The rolling mechanism is simple, they are assigning a 20% probability to each WZ. The data they provided , longest rolls and the WZ sample are enough to make an assessment.

The fact that you are asking the data to show you something you want is biased in itself. The findings are safe, there is not much to discuss about that.

Edited by znihilist

Why is there no way to q up just for the instances you enjoy? As far as coding from Bio's aspect....come on...it's not that hard to let people q for what they want.

Because of this problem, it led me to think...well they would probably have to get a dedicated server that people would get re-directed to (that all the worlds/realms (whatever) get directed to when their q poped because there simply are not enough pvp'ers on any one world/realm to accommodate a short wait time + q ing for what would in theory divide the q's by 5. My point being it would take re-coding and new hardware to make this happen, and I just don't see a Bio Management decision coming down the pipe that involves the spending of money vs. potential revenue lost by not offering this.

========================================================================================

Don't give me that do good good.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtQhMCUbpps

Get over it and just admit that you were wrong

Only, it's not just one person. Since v2.0 I've had multiples of x4 Hypergates in a row, or hyper, CW, hyper, VS, Hyper, VS etc. If it was just one person complaining about this, I would be agreeing with you. As it stands, many people have noticed this, and this is clearly not an isolated chance occurrence.

Get over it and just admit that you were wrong

But I'm not wrong. It's happening far more than "chance". That's a fact based upon my, and others, experiences. Since 2.0 went live, something is f'd up.

When I read this dev post I lol'd

I really don't care what your statistical analysis has to say... because you are wrong...

How about the age old testing method of playing your game (on live servers)???

OK OK OK... sometimes a WZ will be broken up by another.. so 3 out of 4 is still a steak...

Warzone Streaks have been occuring since 2.0, It is not a big deal, and it does not break the game... But lets not pretend it isn't happening

Edited by Rystet
typo

I think what it boils down to, is that the players dont actually want "random maps" but rather something which is less random and more distributed, but in a pseudo-random pattern. The occasional same warzone back to back would be fine, and acceptable (and people might like it if it was their favorite WZ) but having streaks is decidedly NOT fun. To that end, the notion of implementing a formula that the less you are in a particular WZ, the larger your chance of getting that WZ, might be the better method.

I think what it boils down to, is that the players dont actually want "random maps" but rather something which is less random and more distributed, but in a pseudo-random pattern. The occasional same warzone back to back would be fine, and acceptable (and people might like it if it was their favorite WZ) but having streaks is decidedly NOT fun. To that end, the notion of implementing a formula that the less you are in a particular WZ, the larger your chance of getting that WZ, might be the better method.

I don't know what the hell the problem is, maybe it was a bug they FIXED that rotated the maps previously, and now they are all "random" as they were meant to be - but I do know that pre 2.0, things were MUCH different than they are POST 2.0. POST 2.0, we get the same maps over and over and over and over again. Whatever the problem is, pre 2.0 was much better in my opinion (and apparently I'm not alone).

Just wanted to jump in to say that 3 friends of mine and myself experience the same issue regularly since 2.0 (on Vanjervalis Chain). It is a clear difference to how it was before. Given the amount of people that report this issue on different servers, it is simply impossible that there is no bug at all. Your numbers are wrong. Either there is some kind of mistake in your calculations or in your way of recording or you're not observing it under the same conditions as actual players do. Or maybe you want to cover something up from the past.

After all, let's be honest, it wouldn't be the first thing you screw up.

Edited by lokozar

it's not coincidence when this happens to a lot of chars at same time. And seems to have a pattern. Last nite was one WZ that keep repeating, today is another. All pep complaining that all of them is having the same issue. It's not a matter that is porbability. It's broken.

In regards to getting the same warzone in a row while queuing. A guildmate and I just played 10 warzones, and every single one of them was Huttball (4/15/2013.) Also the day before our entire swollen guild was experiencing 80% hypergates. I asked around a bit and every person I asked experienced the same thing..

So we now call them Hypergate Wednesdays, Huttball Thursdays. Considering they are my least favorite wz's I would love to see this not happen in the coming months.

Add another player to the list. Hypergate after Hypergate after Hypergate, then a Civil War, and more Hypergates. Last night it was Voidstar, Voidstar, Huttball, Voidstar, Civil War, Voidstar.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with the warzones themselves, but playing the same one over and over again, especially as bad as my teammates have been today... Let's just say that sitting on a pylon is the most thrilling PvP I've had all day... As a sniper... *sigh* Wish I'd at least been on my Sin...

We are definitely aware that this kind of "streakiness" is possible..... just improbable.

We are aware of these concerns and are actively tracking metrics to make sure this isn't a bigger issue. This is the kind of thing we will always keep an eye on and look to improve.

-eric

That is a nice story Eric, but even when there are no other matches on, these streaks are happening.

I am from that underpopulated, and soon to be nonexistent region of the SWTOR world, where there are often only enough people playing for 1 match to be running, at any given time.

Anyway, I can confirm to you that since 2.0, while 'improbable', these streaks are actually common, even when no other games are being played.

I just assumed you were doing this deliberately, to check features or bugs. Since 2.0 I have had a number of weird warzone experiences - such as being stuck in Hypergate matches - after they ended - or having tiebreaker scenarios kick in 2 minutes into a game. The most common of these annoyances however, by far, has been the continual streaks of identical games...

If you are going to make me play one over and over again, if I want to pvp, can you please at least make it voidstar? ;)

Edited by Kirjalax