About the Army of the Republic...

mrdrsenorpeanut

There is peace that lasts for a long time. No need for a huge army.

This, the typical morons who think just because you currently have peace you should completely dismantle your military so that's your completely defenceless if a threat arises. Luckily for the galaxy Palpatine was around to save their asses from the vong by starting the clone wars.

This, the typical morons who think just because you currently have peace you should completely dismantle your military so that's your completely defenceless if a threat arises. Luckily for the galaxy Palpatine was around to save their asses from the vong by starting the clone wars.

Not sure if I'd call Palpatine being around a good thing. The Clone Wars was his fake enemy versus the Republic. If he wasn't around there would have been no reason for war, no enemy.

Not sure if I'd call Palpatine being around a good thing. The Clone Wars was his fake enemy versus the Republic. If he wasn't around there would have been no reason for war, no enemy.

Except for the yuuzhan-vong arrival 45 years later and their enslavement or annihilation of every sentient species in the galaxy. Since there would be no military force strong enough to stop them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (though I'm pretty sure I'm not...), but there was a few thousand years between TOR and the PT... So I'm sure there's many number of reasons, and I'd bet there are even a dozen or so books that take place between these two time periods that may help. But if I had to bet, I'd say having one or two thousand years peace WOULD lead to such a large army becoming smaller over such a long time...

The Republic's navy was scaled down as part of the Ruusan Reformation, and placed it under the control of the Judicial Department as part of the Ruusan Reformation . Its priorities were shifted from full-scale conflict to sector-scale and system-scale patrol, anti-pirate operations, and exploration of the galaxy.

Also as part of the Ruusan Reformation the Jedi were made to renounce their military ranks and completely disband all their military, naval, and starfighter forces, making them the primarily peacekeeping & humanitarian force we see in the prequel trilogy.

You can read all about this & the events leading to & following it in the Darth Bane trilogy.

To be fair, it was followed by a thousand years of peace.

Edited by Ernost

The Republic's navy was scaled down as part of the Ruusan Reformation, and placed it under the control of the Judicial Department as part of the Ruusan Reformation . Its priorities were shifted from full-scale conflict to sector-scale and system-scale patrol, anti-pirate operations, and exploration of the galaxy.

Also as part of the Ruusan Reformation the Jedi were made to renounce their military ranks and completely disband all their military, naval, and starfighter forces, making them the primarily peacekeeping & humanitarian force we see in the prequel trilogy.

You can read all about this & the events leading to & following it in the Darth Bane trilogy.

To be fair, it was followed by a thousand years of peace.

This is also why jedi in SW:TOR don't look like they do in the movies, something that is very hard to explain to alot of the people whining about how jedi dont look "right"...

They put the Navy under the control of the Judicial system?

That has fiasco written all over it. And I thought people in the real world were stupid.

At that point they had been so scaled down, they were not really so much a navy as interstellar beat cops.