The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Walker mounts for this game

With Tauntauns already in the game it may not be too difficult to put something like the AT-RT or even a Walker with a closed cockpit like the AT-PT into the game. Seeing how they even revived the bulky Dessler series Mounts with the Nomad and Explorer variants, a Walker might be taller (even if a Scoutwalker might be just as tall as Tauntaun), but acutally leaves more space between his legs, so they would not blockade vendors and stuff.

SWG was set in modern days of SW pick some time during/after battle of Yavin.

Old Republic happend 3000 years BBY.

Basically what OP asked was the equivalent to Roman's using tanks, because he saw a movie about Roman's using catapults and thought it would cool to use tanks instead.

Star Wars tried to make the Old Republic era actually look old/ancient. In the Tales of the Jedi comics. Then KOTOR came and as great as it was, the concept of old technology went outta the window. KOTOR/TOR tech, fashion and everything else looks as advanced as stuff in the movies.

Anyway I support this, would be especially popular among Troopers.

Edited by Pietrastor

Walkers as mounts - In theory it would work but the major difference is that Walkers are the tanks of Star Wars with weapons. If they are going to add walkers, make them tanks with heavier shielding rather than yet-another-cosmetic-speeder

It would be nice if they could be introduced in a ground vehicle combat expansion but I doubt it.

I would LOVE to see walker mounts in the game. However, the thing with them is, that NOONE seems to grasp here, is that walker mounts are taller than any existing mounts. Now, those mounts would either have a larger base texture, rendering them unable to move through smaller holes created by objects or terrain, or have them move through other objects. One would put it in a disadventage against regular mounts that can fit through, or it'd look increadibly dumb by moving through a rock with the cockpit of you mount. We and the developers don't want it either.

However, as this thread made me realize, there are absolutely no small/one person walkers in the game yet. Devs could easily introduce them at any time, and I hope they will, as they are iconic to the SW universe, but given the large introduction opportunity in this, I hope they will make a new OWPvP area with vehicular combat also. THAT would be huge!

I would LOVE to see walker mounts in the game. However, the thing with them is, that NOONE seems to grasp here, is that walker mounts are taller than any existing mounts. Now, those mounts would either have a larger base texture, rendering them unable to move through smaller holes created by objects or terrain, or have them move through other objects. One would put it in a disadventage against regular mounts that can fit through, or it'd look increadibly dumb by moving through a rock with the cockpit of you mount. We and the developers don't want it either.

However, as this thread made me realize, there are absolutely no small/one person walkers in the game yet. Devs could easily introduce them at any time, and I hope they will, as they are iconic to the SW universe, but given the large introduction opportunity in this, I hope they will make a new OWPvP area with vehicular combat also. THAT would be huge!

I think youre the one missing the point, have you seen all the big speeders in game now, and how they clip everywhere and on everything? A walker would be no different, just clipping vertically instead of horizontally, its just something you have to swallow.

Walkers would be pretty awesome, as it'd profoundly expand the universe. There's already a tank mount, from the EC NiM, seeing this, one might assume that a 1-person walker, whether it be like a chicken walker or a tri/ quad, shouldn't be too difficult. Perhaps, confine it proportions to tall yet slender, in all respects to the other big mounts. Edited by Willjb

Why are so many people having trouble grasping the OP's suggestion? He is requesting a mechanical mount that is the lore equivalent to the KDY AT-RT single man scout platform. It's a bipedal walker roughly the same size as a tauntaun. They were deployed by the GAR during the Clone Wars and later by the Empire against the Rebel Alliance. It was small, light-weight, and fast. They were deployed in packs as recon scouts and infantry support. The AT-RT was supposedly capable of a sustained 70-90kmh speed, and had the ability to leap.

In game terms, it's a mechanical tauntaun. It should have no other issues than what the tauntaun already has with regards to clipping. I am sure the talented design and graphics folks at EA could extrapolate a "Lore Appropriate" version of a single man, open air, light scout walker similar to the AT-RT.

And I would totally own it, by hook or by crook.

I agree swtor could use a mechanical mount different than a speeder. If you take a look there are in-game mounts larger than bikes (meditation chair, dominator's throne or the Dessler Turbo/Avenger) so a small Single Trooper Walker (STW for short) would fit. Similiar in size to tauntaun it would provide the trooper and BH with a nice climatic mount.

• 1 month later...

I'm all for walker mounts and tanks put on the cartel market. Just got to put in both Imperial and Republic versions. Two reasons why:

A:) Ensure variety

B:) Anyone who's looked at both sides knows that they have different design styles. In mechanical vehicles, it'd be the same kind of thing. Republic would look light & airy, Empire dark & scary.

Of course, you don't want make them too tall or too fat as they'd look ridiculous. Although not as ridiculous as a Dewback speeding across the desert. Saw a fat creature with short legs running across Tatooine and died laughing.

As for walker combat, I'd love to see either a few flashpoints, operations or even a warzone where we'd use hovertanks and/or combat walkers to engage the enemy. With bigger explosions and objects in the environment that we could shoot, which would fall over and crush enemy npcs under them (objects like rock formations, cliff walls, towers, large buildings, etc).

That, in my opinion, would make a fun expansion to the game. Just got to remember not to use the current targeting system and instead go with a setup where you point-and-aim at targets.

Edited by Klishar

I'd love if they added walker vehicles, so long as they were something that fit within this game. So nothing from later on in the timeline like the movies, although they could be inspired by them, like how the Kyber Assault Cannon is pretty-much a hand-held Death Star laser.

I'd be very curious to see something akin to the AT-PT that fits within the timeline of this game.

Edited by Nichos_Ketra

i would love to see walkers considering they are scattered all over the place as display pieces. I agree w/ the OPs point. The walker would need to fill the vertical space of a taun taun or a throne mount which would totally work. We got personal sail barges now or Forces sake! We could have walkers.

• 1 month later...