Scrapper Scoundrel PvP video(s) + tips/guide

Kutsus

First and foremost, I wanted to thank you for this guide. It has proven invaluable to me in performing better in Warzones and Ilum.

However, I keep running into the same issues over, and over, and I'm pretty sure I'm simply doing something wrong, or, I'm just not geared enough.

(I'm a 3/31/7 scrapper scoundrel, fyi)

My problem is the following. When I am playing with a premade, I tend to stick with my group (obviously). What happens here is, the battles tend to get pretty big when you get a full 5v5+ clash of players in a warzone. It becomes a huge meatgrinder. I simply cannot help my teammates by killing of people in the middle of the battle, because I'll just get whittled down to nothingness.

So I try to stay a little further back, and sneak onto healers and stragglers. The issue with healers is that I just don't seem to have enough burst to take them down. If they survive my initial burst, there is nothing I can do. They simply outheal my dps, which is incredibly frustrating. This applies to just about any class, actually. I'll get them down to 25% hp, and they'll just use their medpacks, or heal and I'm screwed. The only thing I can do is fall back, get out of combat (which isn't exactly easy, and vanish isn't always up), and try again.

While this may be a problem related to lack of gear (I just hit 50 last week, and I have a 2 champs pieces, 2 centurion pieces, the rest are random world drops, quest rewards, level 40 pvp gear, etc), I feel like there's an aspect of the class that I'm just not using properly.

My rotation is usually something around the lines of:

Shoot First>Back Blast> Blaster Whip> Sucker punch> Sucker Punch > Quick Shot

And repeat blaster whip/sucker punch/ back blast/quick shot until dead.

Energy consumption isn't much of an issue, with pugnacity and cool head, I'm all good.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you remember to use interrupt and cc when you see them healing. Also remember to use relics and stims just before your attack.

One thing you could try is to flash them for 8 sec, cover, throw sabotage charge, cast xs and back to rotation. Think Kutsus has suggested this in this thread already for additional damage.

If you're playing with premade, just call out those healers for focused fire from your teammates.

I'm also curious to what gear you are using, the stats are confusing and there doesn't seem to be one set of gear that is made for scrapper.

I use battlemaster/champion Enforcer gear. Both weapons and all jewelery are the higher cunning option since power/crit are pretty equal to me. I have replaced all of the accuracy+power/crit "enhancement" slots with lvl 56 mods from other gear (23end 34power 48surge).

Stats as of today (with 5% consular buff and self 5% crit buff up, no trooper buff).

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/sparks03max/swtor2012-01-1612-47-18-09.jpg

I use battlemaster/champion Enforcer gear. Both weapons and all jewelery are the higher cunning option since power/crit are pretty equal to me. I have replaced all of the accuracy+power/crit "enhancement" slots with lvl 56 mods from other gear (23end 34power 48surge).

Stats as of today (with 5% consular buff and self 5% crit buff up, no trooper buff).

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/sparks03max/swtor2012-01-1612-47-18-09.jpg

Thank you for the response. I guess I couldn't tell that there was a mask in your picture in the video. Maybe I should have looked closer at the character. Can I ask which relics you use also?

Thank you for the response. I guess I couldn't tell that there was a mask in your picture in the video. Maybe I should have looked closer at the character. Can I ask which relics you use also?

Can you tell me what gear you can get these from? I have been looking around but cant find them.

I use the matrix shard relic and Rakata power relic (+380 power).

Envii:

Could you repost this pick with the "Tech tree" and "PvP" tree selected so we can see it?

Best,

Tetona

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/sparks03max/swtor2012-01-1700-32-05-20.jpg

More gear questions i'm afraid

for PVP:

Crit or Power blaster/Shotgun?

for 2nd slot (modification in french, I think it's mod) you prefer which ones?

(some give higher raw cunning , some have a lot of power, others have low power/low crit + maybe others I don't know of)

Also at which point in critical index it becomes less worth it compared to power?

Thks

Hey man awesome videos! I have some questions, in your battlemaster gear you switched out your mods for power? If so can you pm me the name of the mods and or a SS, also did you switch out all of the mods in your whole set? Where do you get the matrix shard from and did you collect all your datacrons? I'm a 48 scrapper with 42 valor and I'll be greatly appreciated of the info on the mods in your gear. Thanks again and keep slayin em!

what's your view on the new 50 only warzones?

personally i ve gone back to sawbones/dirty fighting after realising that much of my damage potential is eaten by expertise (my server suddenly has a crap ton of new empire valor 60s).

dot damage seems largely unaffected some how or i am simply dotting more...

where i was critting reliably around 6k (no stims/adrenals) just from relicts and buffs i am now lucky to hit 5k for the medal.

seems i m doing more good to my (pug) team as a healer/dot'er/disabler.

Just wondering, did you switch out your mods in your BM gear? If so what mods did you swap for and did you do it for the whole set?

Yes, all of the "enhancement" slots are 23 end 34 power 48 surge from columi/champion level gear.

Amazing thread. Would it be possible for you to give us information about what gear you wear /aim for.

e.g head- battlemaster ******** have replaced mods with blah blah

please please please, i will give you a magic cookie :)

Well I had planned on doing a lot of frapsing, but have been struggling with FPS issues since 1.1... This patch roughly halved my FPS in pretty much all situations. I've already tried all the FPS fixes and played with graphics settings, both in game and in nvidia control panel. Regardless, I can't fraps full size right now. This really annoys me considering my comp should slaughter this game on max settings.

Will let you guys know if i figure something out and manage to get some fraps going.

What are your thoughts on the proposed 1.11 changes to Scoundrel/OP

I just got to 50 and my gear is still terrible so I dont know how bad it will become.

Overall I think they need to change 1 thing at a time to accurately nerf/buff any class. If the 1.5s KB still gives full resolve, nobody will ever spec for it again.

I'm already having entire warzones in the level 50 bracket where my highest hit is 5200 and this is with me popping "expertise consumables" on cooldown and whoring red buffs + popping 2 relics on cooldown. I guess it will be like when I was fresh 50 again and I'll have to struggle to find someone who's undergeared in light armor to get the 5k hit medal.

I'm pretty worried about our performance against tanks (especially powertechs), but I guess they intend for tanks to be a hard counter to us.

Have also been tempted to give dirty fighting a whirl, but I am thinking it's highly likely that wounding shots primary hit is affected by defense (meaning it requires accuracy) and since I'm built for tech damage with 0 accuracy mods it wouldn't work out too well.

In the end those of us who love the class will adapt and make it work while the FOTMers quit or reroll their sorcs/mercs. Good riddance I say.

Edited by Kutsus

Overall I think they need to change 1 thing at a time to accurately nerf/buff any class. If the 1.5s KB still gives full resolve, nobody will ever spec for it again.

I'm already having entire warzones in the level 50 bracket where my highest hit is 5200 and this is with me popping "expertise consumables" on cooldown and whoring red buffs + popping 2 relics on cooldown. I guess it will be like when I was fresh 50 again and I'll have to struggle to find someone who's undergeared in light armor to get the 5k hit medal.

I'm pretty worried about our performance against tanks (especially powertechs), but I guess they intend for tanks to be a hard counter to us.

Have also been tempted to give dirty fighting a whirl, but I am thinking it's highly likely that wounding shots primary hit is affected by defense (meaning it requires accuracy) and since I'm built for tech damage with 0 accuracy mods it wouldn't work out too well.

In the end those of us who love the class will adapt and make it work while the FOTMers quit or reroll their sorcs/mercs. Good riddance I say.

Personally, the nerf to Shoot First doesn't bother me all that much (although 20% is quite a bit). What does is changing something like Flechette Round, which affects our sustained DPS and burst outside of stealth.

I haven't had time to PvP extensively since hearing of the nerfs, but my question is how would you compare our DPS to other classes as of 1.11? I don't mind if our class is brought "in line" with everyone else. But it does bother me if we're brought below a class like Trooper / Bounty Hunter, who is blessed with 30m range and more utility.

Well the nerf was a BIT much but I stll hit over 5.5k openers and had a 6.8k max so far. Every 2 minutes we can do a double opener which still drops most. Just have to be a bit more careful during pvp. My only problem is it seems that blaster whip doesn't go off most of the time for some reason. All in all it's a sad patch with the Ilum mess and and the huge dps nerf to agents, but w/e I still love my scoundrel and will **** most 1v1.

Just hit valor 60 today also.. So it all good!