Bioware, Early Access Was a Horrible Idea

Slicksteezin

"Bioware, I didn't preorder in time, it's Friday, and I want to play on Mekeb this weekend!!! Make it happen or I'll invent lame reasons as to why you've ruined the game!!"

KMSL! INDEED!

I didn't pre order, don't have any toons even close to 50, & I've watched every storyline on YouTube! But guess what! I'm still playing thru with every class and I'm still gonna get the expansion! It's all about choice...u don't want spoilers, it's not that difficult to avoid em.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes in these forums everything Ea does is a bad idea, if they gave away cartel packs to all that would be a bad idea, have a small expansion was a bad idea, having Tor in the first place was a bad idea, life on Earth was a bad idea,,,geez :rolleyes: Edited by kevlarto

And my reasoning is not because i'm fusterated that i didn't make the decision to get early access like many people did. I deliberately chose not to pre-order during early access simply because at that time there was close to zero information on the expansion and what it contained, and i felt dropping $$ on something i knew nothing about could be a bad idea.

So, why do i think this early access situation was a horrible decision?

This 5 day period of essentially splitting the community into two groups has provoked a ridiculous ammount of spoilers. After all SWTOR is considered a "story MMO". Regardless of what measures you take to avoid any type of spoilers on what the makeb storyline and other expansion features have to offer, It's gonna happen. Guild chat, General chat, Youtube videos, forum posts - you name it. It suprises me you didn't think this one through.

Not only a first expansion, but an expansion that many would agree is the crucial update for the state of SWTOR and it's future. Wouldn't you want the player base to experience Makeb's storyline and new features as a whole rather than implementing these "bang for your buck" deals? Don't get me wrong, everything i have heard about this expansion looks and sounds awesome. I'm not complaining about that at all. And i'm looking forward to playing it.

All i'm saying is, in my opinion, reconsider the after-effects when you do things like this. I feel like myself and a lot of other players will be going into Makeb with less enthusiasm as we could be.

I really hate players who think with this mentaility. Basically to sum it up this equates to your whining.

Merchant comes with the first apples from a distant region and begins to sell them.

Someone: These apples I wonder if they taste good?

You: I know this merchant he brings the best products from across the land if he sells it, its has to be delicious.

Your Spoiler: Yeah I know the apples he gets them from taste really juicy and sweet with a crunchy texture.

You: Dude! Spoiler alert! Not everyone wants to hear what apples taste like! Now you ruined my first taste and thus I shall never eat an apple ever again.

Basically this is interchangeable with anything. From the invention of the wheel to reading a scientific report study on a new particle theory.

I deliberately chose not to pre-order during early access simply because at that time there was close to zero information on the expansion and what it contained, and i felt dropping $$ on something i knew nothing about could be a bad idea.

You deliberately chose not to purchase the expansion, and now you deliberately have to deal with the consequences.

I deliberately chose to purchase the expansion, and I've had a blast playing these past few days. We both had the same information when it was first made available for purchase. I took a risk on purchasing the expansion which we had little information on at the time, and I profited from that risk. The only person you have to blame for not making that purchase is yourself. Do not punish others for your lack of initiative.

I'm not one of these "non-early access people" you are talking about, but I see the point of the OP. Posts like this are the ones who split the community, posts like this are the ones that make me feel that this isn't the community that I want part of.

And the forums are full with posts like this ... it's a shame.

At the same time... the OP is splitting the community by posting a topic designed to bait contention and devisiveness of opinion. That is the very definition of spiltting a community.....OP is deliberately picking a fight IMO. ;)

How so you ask? Just look at the title of the thread. It was chosen to inflame opinion.... or the OP is simply immature and does not know how to launch a conversation constructively. Either way... the OP baited with this thread IMO.

Edited by Andryah

The irony of this statement, you and your friend posting below are illustrating the dividing of the community. Your so divided you think ppl who didn't pre-order should be 'banned' and your friend is concuring. You may and likely are being somewhat sarcastic but at the very least antagonistic towards other members of the community.

There's been a LOT of threads asking for early access to end and in almost every thread are 10-15 early-access people calling them losers, liars, douchebags, idiots, implying illiteracy, calling them cheap, etc. Ironically, many of these people I doubt have early access since they are spending the majority of their time posting on the forums and not playing. If they hadn't access, wouldn't they be using it to...play the game?

You really don't understand his post do you. Its a sarcastic response to a STUPID OP. I don't have EA either. Get over it you f'ing cry babies.

Regardless of what measures you take to avoid any type of spoilers on what the makeb storyline and other expansion features have to offer, It's gonna happen. Guild chat, General chat, Youtube videos, forum posts - you name it. It suprises me you didn't think this one through..

I know absolutely NOTHING about the expansion. I heard awhile back something about a new planet, and lvl 55 cap. That's all I know. If you're watching YouTube videos on SWTOR and viewing forum posts, you're basically looking for it.

I'm just waiting for this dreadfully slow update to finish downloading so I can check it out myself. I'm on 55Mbit cable (I get 8MB/sec downloads) and I'm trying to download how many gigs of update at like 300kb/sec. Add another thing to the lists of why I hate this company. (the next logical question is, why am I stupid enough to keep giving them my money every month. Answer - hoping it will change for the better in the future... just like alcoholics do, and people in abusive relationships I guess...)

This 5 day period of essentially splitting the community into two groups has provoked a ridiculous ammount of spoilers. After all SWTOR is considered a "story MMO". Regardless of what measures you take to avoid any type of spoilers on what the makeb storyline and other expansion features have to offer, It's gonna happen. Guild chat, General chat, Youtube videos, forum posts - you name it. It suprises me you didn't think this one through.

Not only a first expansion, but an expansion that many would agree is the crucial update for the state of SWTOR and it's future. Wouldn't you want the player base to experience Makeb's storyline and new features as a whole rather than implementing these "bang for your buck" deals? Don't get me wrong, everything i have heard about this expansion looks and sounds awesome. I'm not complaining about that at all. And i'm looking forward to playing it.

All i'm saying is, in my opinion, reconsider the after-effects when you do things like this. I feel like myself and a lot of other players will be going into Makeb with less enthusiasm as we could be.

There will always be spoilers early access or not, because there will always be people who run through the content faster than others.

With that said it was your choice to avoid all the social media hubs where spoilers are typically discussed.

My shadow is lvl 54 I have been playing conservatively throughout the week and I still have no clue what the full story is on Makeb.

There is no splitting of the community early access is a common marketing practice with not only SWToR but many other games you make the decision to take advantage of it or you don't.

Edited by Hardwear

This 5 day period of essentially splitting the community into two groups has provoked a ridiculous ammount of spoilers.

That's probably the lamest excuse I've heard yet for being against early access. Spoilers? You could have found out everything about Makeb from a number of websites BEFORE early access hit. The NDA was listed before that and sites had walk-throughs up on everything. Don't look for spoilers if you don't want to find spoilers. Why are you searching YouTube for videos about Makeb if you want to avoid spoilers? As for general chat, I'm not sure what game you're playing, but people aren't posting spoilers about the content....I've seen people rant and complaint but are you seriously claiming that people are posting spoilers about Makeb quest content in general chat? All of the Makeb-related threads in general discussion are mostly just general complaints....people aren't posting storyline spoilers in general discussion.

If the ones who pre ordered didn't have a "BIG HEAD" or have a ton of "EGO" then things wouldn't be so bad. Almost every single early access person has done nothing but rub their early access in people's faces that don't have it. This is something a child or someone with no life would do. So "YES" in some respects, early access was a horrible idea for this expansion.

If the ones who pre ordered didn't have a "BIG HEAD" or have a ton of "EGO" then things wouldn't be so bad. Almost every single early access person has done nothing but rub their early access in people's faces that don't have it. This is something a child or someone with no life would do. So "YES" in some respects, early access was a horrible idea for this expansion.

No, it wasn't. You can't blame the machine being broken on operator error.

Knitting needles are not intended to be weapons, and yet a few idiots will use them as such anyway. Does this mean everyone is going to start boycotting knitting needles?

Word of the Day: hyperbole (Pronounce: hy-PUR-bə-lee)

n.

1: Intentional use of obvious exaggeration

2: A statement or figure of speech which is intentionally false in order to communicate some message or feeling

3: The following post:

If the ones who pre ordered didn't have a "BIG HEAD" or have a ton of "EGO" then things wouldn't be so bad. Almost every single early access person has done nothing but rub their early access in people's faces that don't have it.

Commentary: In the above statement, Glorthox doesn't actually believe that "almost every single early access" has spent every waking minute antagonizing those who didn't purchase early. In truth, he only has experience of a very, very, tiny minority. However, stating the truth would not have the same argumentative weight as claiming that every single person spent every second of the last few days doing something unsavory. So, instead of trying to be even partially truthful, Glorthox opted to use the literary mechanism of hyperbole, which allows him to make up whatever lies he wants and disguise it as a rhetorical mechanism. He, like many people on internet forums recognize that even when facts and truth aren't on your side, hyperbole is always there to back you up.

.......uhhh stop playing with children???

I know lots of people that have the early access, none of them are acting egotistic about it to me.

I don't have EA, and I'm ok with it, and you don't see me starting 1,000 QQ threads about it.

I just think it's stupid that the expansion releases on a SUNDAY, it should have at least been Friday. Sunday is probably the worst possible day because it only gives 1 day before people go back to work/school.

Agreed! Most MMORPGs that work off 'Tuesday' as being server maintenance/patch update day choose to make early access 3-days in length so it starts on Tuesday and ends of Friday. That way players are able to enjoy the update over the weekend as opposed ot telling players to 'wait for no...no progression for you over these 2 day thats probably consist of the MAJORITY of your playtime in a week'.

P.S. 'Our decision to arbitarirly choose 3 days comes out of a position of 'love'.... sincerely, bioware TM'

I just don't understand why they didn't sell early access in the cartel market or something. Leaving money on the table, if you ask me.

Exactly, If they gave me a choice to pay $5.00 to play this wekened, I'd pay it.... and so would I guess probably ~50,000 other subscribers so they could make around $250,000.00 in a single day or about 12,500 subs worth of income. It's definately leaving 'money on the table' so to speak.

Exactly, If they gave me a choice to pay $5.00 to play this wekened, I'd pay it.... and so would I guess probably ~50,000 other subscribers so they could make around $250,000.00 in a single day or about 12,500 subs worth of income. It's definately leaving 'money on the table' so to speak.

Because that wasn't the point.

You failed to give them $ when they wanted/needed it. Having that extra money now wouldn't do them anywhere near as much good as having it back in January. I can't believe people are still complaining about this -- PLEASE tell me it'll stop on sunday.

Why do I get the feeling that if the OP had early access this thread would be... "Bioware, Early Access Was a Great Idea."

No I am sure the title would be the same even if he pre-ordered. A troll is a troll. OP, you know you can close the chat window in-game so you don't have to read spoilers.

It's not horrible, you just spend too much time thinking about it. It was an offer open to anyone and there was a deadline. You did not meet that deadline, you did not throw your full support behind the product before the cut off date, which was extended, for this exact reason. But even with that grace period given, you failed to act. All of you who didn't get it, failed to act. If you failed to act, you don't get the offer and just because you feel jilted, for whatever self justifying reason, you believe that the people who did act, deserve to be punished.

You believe that it is fair to rip away a deal that was honored by both parties because you didn't act when you had a rather large chance? Is that really fair? When in all likely hood, you were too lazy to do anything when you had the chance? I mean, to get the offer and qualify for early access is pretty easy. It could all be done online. You would have to be beyond lazy to not accomplish such a task, with such a large window.

Perhaps you had other reasons that you couldn't make the easiest deadline in the world:

• Too poor
  • Groundhog day, stuck in an infinite loop
  • Did not feel the xpac was worth the money until after you heard it from friends
  • Was against the xpac and "put your money where your mouth was"
  • Lazy
  • Never turned in an assignment on time, ever, in your history of education
  • Too busy eating bacon
  • Went on vacation
  • Just came out from under a rock
  • Time traveller dropped you off a year into the future so you could check out the state of the game, but you have to go back in time on the 14th
  • Had a meh' moment
  • Left the game several times to make some kind of point, no one cared, so you came back to stir the pot
  • You never read a single shred of information posted on this website or lack the understanding of a basic purchase incentive
  • Your favorite past time is forum QQ
  • You just wanted to jump on this "end early access" bandwagon to get a high post count
  • Look at all these words!
  • I made you sit and read all of this for nothing, ha.

And that's how you make a split pea soup.