So you're a pub and you want to be better at PVP?

mattjurado

After seeing a gunslinger cost us a match tonight by trying to stop a cap with a flyby (SMH), and in general the excess bad play since 2.0 and these lovely new brackets, thought I would make a list of things to do or NOT do in PVP, that can help your team win. And if you're on the imp side these will in no way help you in any way, shape, or form :p Much of this is basic stuff, but I realize not everyone has a ton of PVP skill... ERR experience.

1. Healers. I can't tell you how many time I see pug teams ignore healers. To the point of several minutes into a match, and they aren't even marked. DPS, this is your job primarily, find and mark healers. In Huttball, feel free to debuff or slow the ball carrier, but you'll never burn the ball carrier down without at least being an annoyance to his healer. And don't quit beating on the healer because they aren't going down. Honestly if you find yourself spending a lot of time fighting a healer and you yourself aren't dead, then its helping your team. Keeping them from healing others is a good thing.

2. Huttball. Please stop letting them leap to you. Stand far back if you are respawning and they are in the pit. Standing up at the top is BAD, don't do it. Also, when YOU have the ball on our side, NEVER run over the fire trap. If you get the ball in our pit, make sure to rotate your camera to see if a tank is above you waiting to pull your *** into the fire. If so, dump the ball. Save your CC breaker on this map for escaping trap damage should you have the ball, and if you're tanky, save your pulls for when they are really needed on defense.

3. Voidstar. If its 3 on 1 or 4 on 1, and you are on defense, there is a problem. ALWAYS watch the doors. Ranged should stick close to the columns/boxes in the rooms, use them to LOS incoming damage. The instant the doors are down, drop what you are doing and move, regardless if you are on defense or offense. If you are going one on one and its going to be a lengthy fight, let it go. The exception being you are on offense and 2 or 3 defenders are attacking you, feel free to kite the in the direction opposite where they need to go when the door is down, increases the odds your team can get ahead and plant the next bomb.

4. Novare Coast. If you are in need of a cap, south isn't happening, and you see someone already heaing to the east, most players will mindlessly respawn and head that way too. That rarely helps. All the imps will rotate back east to defend that. Instead, do what you can south to distract, slow, apply DOTs, etc... Giving the guy(s) that went east a chance. Same goes if you just lost east and your team is rotating back south, try to interrupt the flow of imps heading back south. And similar to voidstar, if its 7 on 2 imps at south, big problem. I ALWAYS watch the health bar of the person defending west. The instant I see something going on with their health or energy bars, I am rotating to them to help.

5. Hypergate. FFS, don't stand on top of the pylon defending. Stand far away, just enough to be within 30m range to use a ranged attack to stop them. Don't ever leave the pylon unguarded. I shouldn't have to emphasize this, but since 2.0, I have seen this countless times. In fact, the match before I typed this, every single round someone capped it and ran off. Anyways... If defending, and your CC breaker is on CD, call it out, should have 2 on defense. If you see the score is lopsided in your favor early, and there is only 1 defender, go back him up. No reason to risk losing the pylon for a few more kills. Play smart. At the start of this map, never just go solo to the imp side "to delay them." Its dumb, and you are giving them a free kill. Should you find yourself in a position where a shadow or scoundrel is trying to stealth cap the other pylon, don't interrupt their CCs. Speaking of which...

6. CCs. Learn to recognize them and if you see one applied to someone, stop for a moment and look around, would hitting this person allow them to interrupt someone on your team capping? Yes? WELL THEN DON'T DO IT!

7. Defense. Don't stand on top of the objective. Should you get ambushed by 2 stealthies, it helps if you are a distance aways, and kite them away. Pop a cooldown and call for help immediately. Tired of hearing "they raped me" and its a shadow who didn't bother to use resilience, cloak, etc... Its your job to delay them and make it harder to cap, not kill them solo.

8. Tanks. Throwing your guard on a healer isn't enough. Go stun their attackers, smash them in the face, TAUNT them, etc...

9. Buffs. Sentinels. Cough. Learn to save your stacks for transcendence so your team can get to objectives or move the ball quickly. Don't mindlessly pop zen to beef up your damage. Sages. DPS included, keep people bubbled as much as possible. There is more to be said here but I'm getting kinda tired...

10. Cooldowns. Learn when to use them. Don't always pop them in a 1 on 1 fight just because you want the kill. If you dying won't cost your team an objective, you might save it for later when you do need it. Take a moment now to look at your cds and think when a good time to use them is. Sentinels, pop your camo EARLY when 2/3 people are on you. Save your rebuke for solo fights. Shadows, use your resilience not just when you are being focused, if you see someone capping and you are the only one to stop it, pop it first, then go interrupt them. Don't be stunned in Civil War walking up the steps... Troopers, using your reactive shield when leaving the spawn area is really stupid, but I see it often. This one really puzzles me. Many players don't use cooldowns, they just spam certain attacks. This is sad. Use them wisely to help your team, not your damage total.

Feel free to add to this thread, but these are some of the most common mistakes I see, and a lot of this stuff is really getting old.

Edited by mattjurado

After seeing a gunslinger cost us a match tonight by trying to stop a cap with a flyby (SMH)

I see this all the time, even imp side and its one of those *** ARE YOU DOING THAT FOR moments. But it does make me laugh when its on the other team :p. Its a whole lot easier to just chuck one of your lovely grenades.

I think one of the reasons why you're seeing more "newbs" since 2.0 is because you are queueing with people who might actually be pretty new to pvp instead of just simply stupid. Some players who are level 30ish might be doing warzones for the first time...is all I'm saying.

I enjoy a nice "how to" post as much as the next girl, but how many times are people going to continue to post the same instructions? If someone truly wants to learn these things they can easily find the information all over the place. Fact is, most people are playing to have fun. They rarely visit these forums and they probably don't care what you think they are "supposed" to be doing.

I know I have a lot of attitude and sometimes run my mouth in warzones so I probably don't have any right to say this...

BUT

Maybe if people actually helped others learn what to do inside of the warzones themselves instead of preaching, being bossy douchebags, or sarcastic meanies, the newer players might actually care about what you're saying and listen instead of automatically ignoring you.

Or you can continue to come onto the forums and make lists and how to's that no one who actually needs the information is going to probably read.

Not picking on you personally for making this post. At least you're trying to be constructive. :D

tbh. while the tips the op are good I think a good part of the frustration simply comes from what appears to be a lack of "common sense". Most decent pvp'ers understand that there are non-decent players but unfortunately they have to be played with. It may be a fair argument that many players are just casual and have not invested the time and energy into learning how to succeed like the rest of us. Double xp was a double edged sword. many people climbed levels quickly but have not gotten the time to learn how to play their toons successfully. pvp is going to be a hot mess for a while to come.

maybe bioware could incorporate pvp playing tips into the ? element of the game. I mean anything to help needs to be done.

Edited by DoppaE

"Maybe if people actually helped others learn what to do inside of the warzones themselves instead of preaching, being bossy douchebags, or sarcastic meanies, the newer players might actually care about what you're saying and listen instead of automatically ignoring you."

Edited by CaptainRod

"Maybe if people actually helped others learn what to do inside of the warzones themselves instead of preaching, being bossy douchebags, or sarcastic meanies, the newer players might actually care about what you're saying and listen instead of automatically ignoring you."

Beacuse when i try to give advice all i get is a "I do what i want" or a "**** you douche"

1 out of 10 people are receptive. And I'm being generous. I've offered advice in game, as well as inviting players to speak with me after the game. I've had a few bite, a few even thank me sometime later. But mostly, it incites verbal abuse. Karma I suppose.

- Jolly

Edited by Sowwy

Thanks for this Obim.

I agree with Mackayla: I believe that many who now PVP are indeed new to it (particularly Pub side). There's nothing wrong with this as we all have to start somewhere. However, many of these new players do only just that: start.

Tonight a number of us were discussing a pattern we have noticed over the past six weeks or so Pub side: a sizable number of new players play four or five warzones and then stop. They are, in turn, replaced by even newer players who, also after four or five warzones, stop. This pattern seems to be repeating itself ad infinitum. As such, a sizable portion of those who PVP Pub side are pretty much guaranteed to be in the most basic of PVP gear and clueless as to how PVP operates. Helpful posts such as these are, I'm afraid, only going to be read by a few who need them (which I suppose is better than none) and who knows how many of those will actually stick around...

For AH if you are a VG with Shouldre Cannon loaded you can happily stand in the middle of the pylon. It shoots while stunned and no need to face the enemy.

I do suppose this is a bit advanced for this thread but I do not want people shouting at VGs because of it =D.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

BUT

Maybe if people actually helped others learn what to do inside of the warzones themselves instead of preaching, being bossy douchebags, or sarcastic meanies, the newer players might actually care about what you're saying and listen instead of automatically ignoring you.

Or you can continue to come onto the forums and make lists and how to's that no one who actually needs the information is going to probably read.

Not picking on you personally for making this post. At least you're trying to be constructive. :D

The real issue is, most of them have experienced so much of the bossy douchebagness and etc that ANY amount of suggestion or helping is autoignored now. Also a lot of them really just don't care.

This guide is sucks. Actually give class guides for each class pls

Sin - stay at the node

Operative - go the the enemies off node, and solo the poor guardian, or commando that is there. (sin, and operatives can switch places or heal)

Marauder - Kill healers

Jugg - Smash healers

Sniper- Pew pew healers

sorc - just heal

PT - GCD people

Mercs- Don't queue

Sin - stay at the node

Operative - go the the enemies off node, and solo the poor guardian, or commando that is there. (sin, and operatives can switch places or heal)

Marauder - Kill healers

Jugg - Smash healers

Sniper- Pew pew healers

sorc - just heal

PT - GCD people

Mercs- Don't queue

Sounds like XKUNX the complete guide.

I think one of the reasons why you're seeing more "newbs" since 2.0 is because you are queueing with people who might actually be pretty new to pvp instead of just simply stupid. Some players who are level 30ish might be doing warzones for the first time...is all I'm saying.

I enjoy a nice "how to" post as much as the next girl, but how many times are people going to continue to post the same instructions? If someone truly wants to learn these things they can easily find the information all over the place. Fact is, most people are playing to have fun. They rarely visit these forums and they probably don't care what you think they are "supposed" to be doing.

I know I have a lot of attitude and sometimes run my mouth in warzones so I probably don't have any right to say this...

BUT

Nah they don't.

Otherwise PvP wouldnt be this poop in the first place. The reason why people just tell others how bad they are is because of the situation that it led themselves into.

My problem lately is that I hate the new PvP 2.0. Its a DM fest, nobody was doing anything properly and the one that had the most DPS wins because of the TTK.

Its funny how WZ are being more stupider than before. I dont even bother PvPing much anymore due to this. I might join in with a premade or two, but I stand by on how stupid the PvP has become, its just a herp derp fest.

Hell I hate the premades that keep chasing my jugg even though I wasnt doing anyhting but DM, while my team was scoring or doing objectives. This seems to be more true against republic, I guess they were all angry about how I 3 shotted them with my Jugg pre 2.0 and wanted their revenge or something *shrug*.

Eh, I agree with you guys by saying there not many people who likes to learn how to pvp, and with the expension, people went full retard. Lots of players who quit came back, new skills, changes in class trees, etc. I really like 2.0, but I think just giving one piece of advice, to any noobs in your team each game, and in a week, they'd become good if every one does it.

I take offense to this.

You would :p

I agree with Kuvox, Lots of people just in it for the daily, with no gear.

Ohhh, also no common sense. Is it really that hard to jump into the pit if you steal the ball in your end zone, or throw it away? Or my favorite is when people are completely set up for chain passes in Hutt Ball and the noob picks up the ball and wants to run it all the way into the end zone. There's nothing worse than being completely open for a pass and the guy ignoring you.