Who made this terrible decision?

DarkWyndre

OP, your complaint is invalid for citing WOW. It is also invalid because of the pre-planned midnight release of Rise of the Hutt Cartel Early Access. This is a non issue for all but a very, very, veeeeeeery tiny speck of the playerbase. People will always complain about something. If you get upset because you miss a few hous gameplay once in a while then maybe you need more hobbies.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, your complaint is invalid for citing WOW. It is also invalid because of the pre-planned midnight release of Rise of the Hutt Cartel Early Access. This is a non issue for all but a very, very, veeeeeeery tiny speck of the playerbase. People will always complain about something. If you get upset because you miss a few hous gameplay once in a while then maybe you need more hobbies.

Yes because referring to the elephant in the room when it comes to successful mmos automatically invalidates any statement, right?

As far as I'm aware, Bioware/EA hasn't published server populations or concurrent population data, so I can't really look to the actual real data for guidance.

Torstatus.net. EU and NA servers are the same superserver configurations.. so on a relative basis they are identical. so torstatus is relevant comparison. EU servers are slightly less populated, but they have 9 of them compared to NAs 8, so it's a wash.

Yes because referring to the elephant in the room when it comes to successful mmos automatically invalidates any statement, right?

:rolleyes:

This is the SWTOR forums... WoW populations and demographics are not relevant.

Edited by Andryah

The same people who have made all kinds of stupid mistakes and poorly thought out decisions with this game, that is who.

I mean it isn't like other companies have been able to patch a major update during off peak hours for both NA and EU (by running separate maintenance windows for each region), nor been able to provide players with the patch data via download days if not weeks in advance of release, nor able to hit a 12 AM launch for new content without taking the servers down for hours immediately preceding launch.

Oh wait - other companies have patched major updates during off peak time for both NA and EU, have provided the patch and expansion content to players weeks in advance, and still have been able to hit a 12 AM release for new content.

So while it isn't the end of the world, it is clear that patching does not have to occur during peak time nor at the same time for every server cluster nor immediately preceding a launch.

Just because Bioware does it, doesn't make it the best for players, just the best for Bioware.

The expansion release isn't for several days. It's irrelevant what time of day the servers come back up for "early access" ... taking servers down during the primary hours in which working adults are able to play is the height of stupidity.

People bought ROTCH for 5 days of early access.....they are trying to bring the servers back as soon as all of the US timezones hit April 9th in order to give those people 5 full days of early access. And you can't figure out why they would do that? How many days out of the year are they going to be launching an expansion for early access? Contrast that with how many days out of the year will someone be grinding quests and XP in the evening? You want your just 1 of 365 other nights out of the year to take priority over the early access people? Doesn't take a business degree to figure out why they are doing what they are doing.

since when is 50% the vast majority. Another Yank thinking USA is the center of the world.

What is the second share? By the way I am not an American but yes it is the center of the world when it comes to consumer spend.

That doesn't make me feel any better about it lol.

I don't think anyone cares how you feel about it, the times were planned for a midnight release so yes the expansion does drop at midnight. Just because you might not of preordered and won't have access for a couple of days does not mean it doesn't drop at midnight, if you don't like go do something like talk a walk, watch a movie, go out to dinner, maybe talk to a person( actually in person).

The same people who have made all kinds of stupid mistakes and poorly thought out decisions with this game, that is who.

I mean it isn't like other companies have been able to patch a major update during off peak hours for both NA and EU (by running separate maintenance windows for each region), nor been able to provide players with the patch data via download days if not weeks in advance of release, nor able to hit a 12 AM launch for new content without taking the servers down for hours immediately preceding launch.

Oh wait - other companies have patched major updates during off peak time for both NA and EU, have provided the patch and expansion content to players weeks in advance, and still have been able to hit a 12 AM release for new content.

So while it isn't the end of the world, it is clear that patching does not have to occur during peak time nor at the same time for every server cluster nor immediately preceding a launch.

Just because Bioware does it, doesn't make it the best for players, just the best for Bioware.

Please refer to this earlier response:

I hope it doesn't take too long to download the 2.0 update. WoW let users pre-ownload the bulk of Cataclysm weeks before it was released so they could hop on right as the servers came up. Most of the heavy assets like sound files, texture, art, videos etc can and should be available for download well prior to launch so that the installer only has to fetch a few deltas on launch day.

Servers going down at prime playing time for maintenance and update? Yet another reason other mmo's *cough*WoW*cough* have thrived on the subscription model ... they realize not to take the servers offline during prime time. What an incredibly bad decision... I actually called the first few people who told me the servers were going down in 90 minutes trolls because I mean really ... how stupid does a company have to be to take their game down for prime hours?

Welcome to how the rest of the world has been treated since launch - and every single time someone's complained, at least one American resident has told the poster to suck it up and go get some fresh air... so why don't you suck it up and go get some fresh air?

Since when has Monday/Tuesday been prime time or peak hours for TOR?

The weekends are TOR's prime time hours. The highest amount of traffic on a single week day is nothing compared to the weekends.

In other words it's moronic to complain about this sort of thing at the moment. They'll more than likely have to patch something between Tuesday and Thursday anyways, that's just how these things go. It's more important to have everything running correctly when the weekend hits.

Correct it does invalidate any statement.

The reason being as the poster you quoted pointed out the reason for bringing the servers down during prime time is for the release of Early Access. Also and I am not sure if you know this but Bioware tries to do its downtime in such a way that it effects the least amount of people. Saying that if your play time is disrupted during the downtime why not just play something else or do something else. It is not necessary to complain on the forums about a truly non issue.

Bioware does a lot of strange things. I guess they're still mmo noobs. No pre-launch download in the background, taking the game down in prime time (non-yanks notwithstanding), letting silly but annoying bugs go on for years... is pretty typical of them.

all i gotta say is finally its the americans who get the down time, here in the uk we always get hit like 80 % of the time along with the rest of europe during our 'Prime Time' as the op calls it. Not meaning to sound hostile here buddy but you can understand why a lot of folks will not have any sympathy for your post or care less.

Its a fact off mmos that all timezones get hit once in a while, balance it like this better to have things nice and smooth with a dedicated amount of time put into a smooth deployment than having it rushed and bugged more than usual.

anyhows thats my view see u all in early access

This is the single dumbest thing I've seen Bioware do. Deploy an update in prime time for the vast majority of the game's population.

For those who don't get it... yes, someone is always inconvenienced. The common sense thing is to inconvenience the least amount of players possible. Instead, they have inconvenienced the most possible.

all i gotta say is finally its the americans who get the down time, here in the uk we always get hit like 80 % of the time along with the rest of europe during our 'Prime Time' as the op calls it. Not meaning to sound hostile here buddy but you can understand why a lot of folks will not have any sympathy for your post or care less.

Its a fact off mmos that all timezones get hit once in a while, balance it like this better to have things nice and smooth with a dedicated amount of time put into a smooth deployment than having it rushed and bugged more than usual.

anyhows thats my view see u all in early access

Um, because the majority of the player base is in the states. Why would they deploy patches at a time that is inconvenient for the vast majority of the player base?

I was referring to player population in general. Here is a link to the Deadalus project, a long running research project into the demographics of MMO players.

As far as I'm aware, Bioware/EA hasn't published server populations or concurrent population data, so I can't really look to the actual real data for guidance. I may live in the states, but I'm an Israeli so kindly leave the racial slurs out of it please.

So that project has been in hibernation and not running for the past 4 years, a lot can change in that time.

Um, because the majority of the player base is in the states. Why would they deploy patches at a time that is inconvenient for the vast majority of the player base?

How do you know the majority of the player base is in the states? Plus, I get to play the expansion tonight instead of tomorrow. I'm quite happy they are doing it this way.

How do you know the majority of the player base is in the states? Plus, I get to play the expansion tonight instead of tomorrow. I'm quite happy they are doing it this way.

Because it is. The U.S. servers are the largest by far. This isn't rocket science. It's not about you. It's about doing what is most convenient for the most number of players. And they are doing the opposite.

Those of us who live in the Southern Hemisphere have to put up with the servers going down in prime time every time there is maintenance. I'm sure you can cope with it as a one off.

Thank you. As someone who benefits from living in the U.S I can completely understand this argument. Game goes down ONE time for maintenance during you guy's peak time and you whine? Pathetic. Get a life.