Who made this terrible decision?

DarkWyndre

Servers going down at prime playing time for maintenance and update? Yet another reason other mmo's *cough*WoW*cough* have thrived on the subscription model ... they realize not to take the servers offline during prime time. What an incredibly bad decision... I actually called the first few people who told me the servers were going down in 90 minutes trolls because I mean really ... how stupid does a company have to be to take their game down for prime hours?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The expansion release isn't for several days. It's irrelevant what time of day the servers come back up for "early access" ... taking servers down during the primary hours in which working adults are able to play is the height of stupidity.

Servers going down at prime playing time for maintenance and update? Yet another reason other mmo's *cough*WoW*cough* have thrived on the subscription model ... they realize not to take the servers offline during prime time. What an incredibly bad decision... I actually called the first few people who told me the servers were going down in 90 minutes trolls because I mean really ... how stupid does a company have to be to take their game down for prime hours?

Its just for the expansion, it means that RotHC early access launches as soon as the 9th arrives which means no complaints about the early access not being a full 5 days. Considering that we will not see this again until at least the next expansion its a petty thing to complain about.

Those of us who live in the Southern Hemisphere have to put up with the servers going down in prime time every time there is maintenance. I'm sure you can cope with it as a one off.

Southern Hemisphere has the same time zones as the Northern Hemisphere.

At prime time? Mate, they're going down so ROTHC can have a midnight launch for early access players.

Here in the UK, we got to wait till 2AM before we get any patch, which many of us will be asleep by then and then mostly getting up early for work, whilst US folk can wait until the patch is installed and then probably play for 1 or 2 hours before they too go to bed.

Cmon man. I'm sure there's hundreds of other things you could do whilst the patch is implemented. Considering the servers are gonna be swamped tomorrow too, I think it's fair to say none of this even matters...

The expansion release isn't for several days. It's irrelevant what time of day the servers come back up for "early access" ... taking servers down during the primary hours in which working adults are able to play is the height of stupidity.

We in the European and Southern Hemisphere regions normally suffer this every single patch, I'm astonished that they've chosen to inconvenience the precious North Americans this time.

Mind you I'm sure the emergency patches will be in Euro prime time so business as usual there :D

I think the problem is not the prime time. It is the change. If maintenance is always happening in a time zone and you are changing it, some people will complain. Announce a time for maintenance or release whatever and stick with it.

Pretty good idea for peeps that don't work tomorrow. I do, but that's nice to give them all day tomorrow instead of burning their morning. /shrug It's just one day. The game has been running for a year and a half and this is the first instance they have had a major patch in prime time NA hours. I think we can make it.

I'm not sure what I find most amusing... that people are defending a prime-time downtime for where (presumably) the majority of the playerbase resides (aside from Eastern MMO's, the US is pretty much the vast majority of mmo players afaik. There was actually a very long and detailed research project that someone did over the course of years ... should be easy to google if you're actually interested in all the breakdown of mmo players and such)

OR

That people actually believe the patching will go off without a hitch and servers will actually be up for a Midnight (PDT) / 3am (EDT) launch.

I'm not sure what I find most amusing... that people are defending a prime-time downtime for where (presumably) the majority of the playerbase resides (aside from Eastern MMO's, the US is pretty much the vast majority of mmo players afaik. There was actually a very long and detailed research project that someone did over the course of years ... should be easy to google if you're actually interested in all the breakdown of mmo players and such)

If you look at server demographics for SWTOR.. the EU server farm has at least as many players as the NA server farm. So give it a rest.

That people actually believe the patching will go off without a hitch and servers will actually be up for a Midnight (PDT) / 3am (EDT) launch.

All the more reason to do the patch early.. so as to not blow an entire prime time cycle away in the EU....because... yes.. something will go wrong and need hotfixing.

TL;DR six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Note: I'm a NA player, so don't even go there with some silly retort either. ;)

Edited by Andryah

OR

since when is 50% the vast majority. Another Yank thinking USA is the center of the world.

If you look at server demographics for SWTOR.. the EU server farm has at least as many players as the NA server farm. So give it a rest.

All the more reason to do the patch early.. so as to not blow an entire prime time cycle away in the EU.

TL;DR six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Note: I'm a NA player, so don't even go there with some silly retort either. ;)

What do you consider "prime" time? Europe would see uptime around noon with the current schedule. Backing that up 3-6 hours and putting it in a more "normal" window doesn't seem like it would bump through the evening.

The servers are going down right after I get off work and coming up right after I go to bed.

So I won't be able to play today, and will have to wait until tomorrow.

And yet, for some weird reason, it's not a big deal to me. I've been playing this game for over a year. One day is going to mean exactly jack - (diddly / squat) in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Khevar

1. it's a one off
  2. You finally feel what peeps in the other timezones feel week in week out.
  3. it always goes down on someone's primetime.
  4. we can finally throw some of your go out and play statements back at you.
  5. one day's not going to hurt you. go out and play.

Edited by forumname

What do you consider "prime" time? Europe would see uptime around noon with the current schedule. Backing that up 3-6 hours and putting it in a more "normal" window doesn't seem like it would bump through the evening.

Dude.. we both admitted above that the patch won't go according to plan which could mean the servers are down for 9 hours or even 12 hours.. or glitchy after they go back live.. yada yada.

LOL... give it a rest already will you.

since when is 50% the vast majority. Another Yank thinking USA is the center of the world.

I was referring to player population in general. Here is a link to the Deadalus project, a long running research project into the demographics of MMO players.

As far as I'm aware, Bioware/EA hasn't published server populations or concurrent population data, so I can't really look to the actual real data for guidance. I may live in the states, but I'm an Israeli so kindly leave the racial slurs out of it please.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.