Your personal Star Wars question you always couldn't find an answer too.

Magnusheart

Why are there no Jedi with a double-bladed lightsaber by the time of the movies?

I understand that it was outlawed. The weapons were said to be too chaotic, too unpredictable and unstable, too much like the Sith. They were mostly offensive, which rubbed the Jedi the wrong way, sure.

But the question is: what happened? Bastila and Satele wielded them just fine, and they were extremely powerful Jedi. What, or who, made the Jedi suddenly change their minds about allowing Jedi to use double blades?

The double bladed saber was limited in movements and the like. Plus the fact, its also a big target to be destroyed as evident with Satele's saber being destroyed in her duel against Malgus. The single blade, easy to work with and you have lots more options.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The double bladed saber was limited in movements and the like. Plus the fact, its also a big target to be destroyed as evident with Satele's saber being destroyed in her duel against Malgus. The single blade, easy to work with and you have lots more options.

Sure. But Jedi still used them. And in the thousand years or so of peace leading up to the movies, I would assume that optimal combat readiness might not have been the highest priority.

I was under the impression that the Order banned them. Am I mistaken? And if I'm right, why?

"it was over a month" "it was more than a few weeks"

Hold on a moment, I think we all now the movie quite well:

From the trash to Bespin shouldn't be longer then Lukes Hoth-Dagobah trip, so it doesn't count.

They didn't have a functioning hyper drive like Luke did, they made that trip on sub-light. It was estimated it took them about a month.

Then later it was retconned that they were actually using a weak back-up hyper drive since sublight would be incredibly unrealistic even for neighboring star systems. Time estimate did not change however.

SO yeah, about a month. Probably more like 5-6 weeks from the time Luke actually arrived on Dagobah to the point where he sensed the trouble on Bespin and left.

Sure. But Jedi still used them. And in the thousand years or so of peace leading up to the movies, I would assume that optimal combat readiness might not have been the highest priority.

I was under the impression that the Order banned them. Am I mistaken? And if I'm right, why?

They didn't ban them, General Krell used two double bladed sabers. The temple jedi guards used them. Its just more of a niche thing, a single saber you have a lot more options to work with which are always a good thing.

They didn't have a functioning hyper drive like Luke did, they made that trip on sub-light. It was estimated it took them about a month.

Then later it was retconned that they were actually using a weak back-up hyper drive since sublight would be incredibly unrealistic even for neighboring star systems. Time estimate did not change however.

SO yeah, about a month. Probably more like 5-6 weeks from the time Luke actually arrived on Dagobah to the point where he sensed the trouble on Bespin and left.

Which to reiterate, the Falcon does have 2 months worth of consumables so them spending a month traveling is perfectly plausible.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

They didn't ban them, General Krell used two double bladed sabers. The temple jedi guards used them. Its just more of a niche thing, a single saber you have a lot more options to work with which are always a good thing.

Oh!

Yeah... totally forgot about them!

Krell..... :cool:

Thanks. That answers that question then.

Actually the Jedi were prepared for combat (unlike what most others think). The double-bladed lightsabers were used in training, and we see Pong Krell use two, but they faded from combat applications. They weren't banned, it's just that they became frowned upon for their agressive nature.

That and the double-bladed lightsaber has notable weaknesses. The lightsaber can be cut in two, and you can't bring both blades to bear. Kas'im actually discusses the weaknesses of the double-blade as opposed to twin blades in Path of Destruction.

Okay, one more. (I'll probably have a few more, actually.)

Why do female twi'leks have ear nubs while males have real ears?

When I saw Return of the Jedi, I thought the bone nubs were part of the dancer's headpiece. Now that twi'leks have that as a signature mark, why did that happen? And how do they hear out of those?

When I saw Return of the Jedi, I thought the bone nubs were part of the dancer's headpiece. Now that twi'leks have that as a signature mark, why did that happen? And how do they hear out of those?

Genetics? Not sure there ever is an explanation for it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Genetics? Not sure there ever is an explanation for it.

But... but.... why?

What kind of adaptation is turning your ears into nubs? And why is it only for females? And, most importantly, how can they hear with those things?

Yeah.... okay fine, I guess there's not an answer for that. But hey, that's what this thread is all about, right?

Edited by Warren-Stride

Yeah I think it was a misinterpretation by artists that they eventually just stuck with. I'm pretty sure Oola's "nubs" were supposed to just be part of the head dress. Also Lyn Me has no nubs. You can't see any ears, but theres no bulge for nubs tthere. So yeah, Lucas's original intent I think was for them to have regular ears but artists afterwards messed up and at some point Lucas or whoever said "you know what, screw it, they look nice so canon-stamp it."

Luke and training:

I didn't realise there were hyperdrives on X-Wing Fighters? Tie Fighters for sure didn't have them ("small range for a craft like that, must've come from a convoy").

I have another one! How much did Han pay the Barkeep for the mess he was sorry for (meanng dead Greedo). Looked like just one coin...

Luke and training:

I didn't realise there were hyperdrives on X-Wing Fighters? Tie Fighters for sure didn't have them ("small range for a craft like that, must've come from a convoy").

I have another one! How much did Han pay the Barkeep for the mess he was sorry for (meanng dead Greedo). Looked like just one coin...

Was the 1st bit a question? As for the cantina bit dunno, it was actually retconned for some odd reason so the pricing who knows. But before the retcon, Solo gave 1 Wupiupi which equaled to 1 or 2 credits depending on fluctuation.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Luke and training:

Luke went from Hoth to Dagobah to Bespin in his X-wing in ESB, then from Tatooine to Dagobah to Sullust in RotJ; clearly he used a hyperdrive both times.

X-Wings do by canon have hyper drives. Tie-Fighters do not, as a cost cutting procedure. Most mass produced star fighters did not have them really and required dock rings, but the rebels used the more expensive fighters that did out of necessity for their guerrilla tactics (and since they were much smaller in number they could afford to).

X-Wings do by canon have hyper drives. Tie-Fighters do not, as a cost cutting procedure. Most mass produced star fighters did not have them really and required dock rings, but the rebels used the more expensive fighters that did out of necessity for their guerrilla tactics (and since they were much smaller in number they could afford to).

Tie Fighters didn't have shields either, unlike most fighters, they where basically limited to one system and easier to destroy, but the Empire kept using them. You would have thought that someone would have suggested a Tie Fighter/Interceptor upgrade with shields and hyperdrive.

Logical explanation? It was a credit chit, probably worth any amount.

Better explanation? He was just paying for the mop and bucket to clean up Greedo's remains.

The reason the Rebels have them is because the X-Wing was going to be the new Imperial fighter, but the design team defected and brought the schematics with them.

The X-Wing was one of the first fighters to have shields, and I believe the first to have a hyperdrive. It was revolutionary and the Empire had poured money into its design...

How could someone that was cut in half surrivive with the help of the force?

Or Why was the clone wars cancelled?

Question only the man him self can answer.

How can someone survive only half a torso in today's world?(Kenny Easterday) Same thing...Maul's survival is ok, and also The Force has no limits in what it can do.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The X-Wing was one of the first fighters to have shields, and I believe the first to have a hyperdrive. It was revolutionary and the Empire had poured money into its design...

The Aurek-class tatctical strikefighter had both shielding and an hyperdrive (which was a class 2, not bad considering it was the same as an Imperial I Star Destroyer or a Kandosii (a Mandalorian Dreadnaught of the same era), while Maul's Scimitar had a 1.5, the standard X-Wing and the Ebon Hawk had a 1.0, and the Falcon had a 0.5) and that was in the time of the Mandalorian Wars: 3,976 BBY.

I have to thank this video for the recalling of the Aurek fighters' hyperdrive right when I read through your post :p

Also, that is just an example: I would guess there are more primeval starfighters with those features.

Edited by Lurtzello

How can someone survive only half a torso in today's world?(Kenny Easterday) Same thing...Maul's survival is ok, and also The Force has no limits in what it can do.

People don't survive having critical organs sliced out without being immediately hooked up to machines to replace them. Which he wasn't in the cartoon. Your example was cut at the hip, medically. Maul was cut at like the belly button, and no medical attention.

The force can excuse a lot of things, but not replacing a digestive track, come on. Maul still eats, with no way to poop. How does that work? I could believe it if he just stopped eating and used force energy to keep himself alive, something proven to be possible. But he does eat, so thats not the case.

Bad cartoon is bad.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe