Your personal Star Wars question you always couldn't find an answer too.

Magnusheart

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke used The Force, to tell where the torpedo's to go.

Right, the Death Star was perfectly safe from harm unless there was a force sensitive(which Luke was and him doing that feat was rather remarkable considering he had minimal training up to that point). The Rebel Leaders didn't know this, and figured the targeting computers would be able to hit the mark.

No because the targeting computer couldn't tell how the torpedo's were suppose to move, only Luke could make that shot via The Force. I suppose the leaders were counting on the torpedo's to home in on the signature that the reactor was giving off sort of like a heat seeking missile. There is also the factor of the shaft, being only 2 meters wide...remember what was said?

"That's impossible even for a computer."

"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger then 2 meters."

Pretty much yes, if you recall Red Leader had a perfect shot and it only impacted on the surface.

Month late, don't know if anyone else commented, but to your explanation on why the torps made a 90 degree turn... no.

If you all recall correctly, they said to shoot the torpedoes inside and it would start a chain reaction that would reach and detonate the core. Red Leader's never made it inside the hole... thus "impacted on the surface."

The reason behind the 90 degree turn could be in part the targeting computer giving the command at the right moment (and yes, this is entirely possible... we have the technology today), but the most likely reason for the turn (at the time) is "Hollywood" magic.

Edited by FuryoftheStars

If the 'Emperor' is basically a 'God' in TOR. Why does the Empire lose the war?! :(

We don't know that they lose the war. In fact even with some continuity pieces:

Which imply that the sith of this period may WIN, as his empire is modeled after this one (in universe) and it's most likely that palpatine would model after the ONLY successful sith empire rather than the ones in the past or the new sith. Along with that we have a period of over 1000 years during which the sith could marvelously rule a majority of the galaxy, with history forgetting this time, explaining that quote and everything else.

The only tricky part of lore is this guy.

Darth Desolous

Who may have to be retconned or have the republic exist in some weakened state, but even so the sith may very well RULE the galaxy (YAY) and awesomeness could continue through this period for the foreseeable future.

because in his visions she will die, no madder what he will do. Now we do not know for real that it is because of his actions yes or no.

No, he saw her die. He never saw she'd die no matter what he did. If he'd just let go, let nature and Coruscant's plethora of medical droids and doctors have their way, Padme would've been fine, and the Jedi would not have been wiped out.

Month late, don't know if anyone else commented, but to your explanation on why the torps made a 90 degree turn... no.

If you all recall correctly, they said to shoot the torpedoes inside and it would start a chain reaction that would reach and detonate the core. Red Leader's never made it inside the hole... thus "impacted on the surface."

The reason behind the 90 degree turn could be in part the targeting computer giving the command at the right moment (and yes, this is entirely possible... we have the technology today), but the most likely reason for the turn (at the time) is "Hollywood" magic.

I never said Red Leader's shot made it into the hole, and what is impossible about Luke telling the torpedo's to go via using The Force? That is what he did...I am not using an out of universe excuse, of course out of the universe and moving to real life it was done by Hollywood magic, but in universe he did use The Force to tell where the torpedo's to go.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I never said Red Leader's shot made it into the hole, and what is impossible about Luke telling the torpedo's to go via using The Force? That is what he did...I am not using an out of universe excuse, of course out of the universe and moving to real life it was done by Hollywood magic, but in universe he did use The Force to tell where the torpedo's to go.

I didn't say that you did say that it made it into the hole, but you are claiming that it was impossible for anyone else except Luke to do it because the shot required the use of the Force. You really think that a bunch of analysts and commanders of the Rebel forces would be that dumb as to look at the DS schematics and say "yeah, we just put a couple of torps here and all will be good" and fail to realize that the shot is actually completely impossible? Plus, as I stated, we already have the tech for those types of things. And actually, in universe, I refer to Ep II where Jango shoots those Torpedoes at Obi-Wan....

I didn't say that you did say that it made it into the hole, but you are claiming that it was impossible for anyone else except Luke to do it because the shot required the use of the Force. You really think that a bunch of analysts and commanders of the Rebel forces would be that dumb as to look at the DS schematics and say "yeah, we just put a couple of torps here and all will be good" and fail to realize that the shot is actually completely impossible? Plus, as I stated, we already have the tech for those types of things. And actually, in universe, I refer to Ep II where Jango shoots those Torpedoes at Obi-Wan....

Yes they would because that is what happened, they didn't know the shot was impossible they figured if the computer could hit it in the simulation they showed, then it could. As per the EP 2 bit, yes however that wasn't a trench and a 2 meter wide hole, it was a ship and Jango was using homing missiles not Proton Torpedo's.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Luke didn't tell the torpedo where to go, he used the force to feel when to fire it, the torpedo was still computer controlled. It wasn't impossible for the others to have done it, just so hard as to be nearly impossible.

Yes they would because that is what happened, they didn't know the shot was impossible they figured if the computer could hit it in the simulation they showed, then it could. As per the EP 2 bit, yes however that wasn't a trench and a 2 meter wide hole, it was a ship and Jango was using homing missiles not Proton Torpedo's.

I'm referring to the evasive the torpedoes made to avoid the asteroid... that goes well beyond simple homing technology.

Luke didn't tell the torpedo where to go, he used the force to feel when to fire it, the torpedo was still computer controlled. It wasn't impossible for the others to have done it, just so hard as to be nearly impossible.

Yes, Luke did use the Force to determine when to fire. However, the initial question asked was about the 90 degree turn the torpedoes made and Wolfninjajedi is saying Luke used the Force to make them turn (and as such, was impossible for a non-Force user to make the shot).

He did...if you recall in the movie.

"Use The Force, Luke."

"Let go Luke."

"Luke trust me."

"His computer's off, Luke you've switched off your targeting computer what's wrong?"

"Nothing I'm alright."

Also here in the novel.

“Luke...trust me,” the tickle requested, forming words for the third time. He stared into the targeter. The emergency exhaust port was sliding toward the firing circle again, as it had once before—when he’d missed. He hesitated, but only briefly this time, then shoved the targeting screen aside. Closing his eyes, he appeared to mumble to himself, as if in internal conversation with something unseen. With the confidence of a blind man in familiar surroundings, Luke moved a thumb over several controls, then touched one. Soon after, a concerned voice filled the cockpit from the open speakers.

“Base on to Blue Five, your targeting device is switched off. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Luke murmured, barely audible. “Nothing.

He blinked and cleared his eyes. Had he been asleep? Looking around, he saw that he was out of the trench and shooting back into open space. A glance outside showed the familiar shape of Han Solo’s ship shadowing him. Another, at the control board, indicated that he had released his remaining torpedoes, although he couldn’t remember touching the firing stud. Still, he must have.

The cockpit speakers were alive with excitement. “You did it! You did it!” Wedge was shouting over and over. “I think they went right in.”

--Taken from A New Hope

Even his wiki page says this..

During the Battle of Yavin, Luke managed to destroy the first Death Star by letting the Force tell him when to fire his proton torpedoes, while traveling at very high speeds, and not knowing the distance to the port, and having no previous knowledge of proton torpedoes and their abilities. One should note that Luke only had little training with the Force at this time.

Not sure what more you want.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Your quoted excerpt in no way suggests he manipulated the direction of the torpedo...

In fact. "letting the Force tell him when to fire his proton torpedoes"

"tell him when to fire"

"when to fire"

Not where. When.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

Your quoted excerpt in no way suggests he manipulated the direction of the torpedo...

Ya...because Ben telling him to use The Force instead of the targeting computer, isn't enough evidence. Its implied that he did, otherwise what would be the point in showing it?

Ya...because Ben telling him to use The Force instead of the targeting computer, isn't enough evidence. Its implied that he did, otherwise what would be the point in showing it?

To not rely on the targeting computer that appeared to be faulty based on its previous failure. Also to prove to Luke that the force exists.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

To not rely on the targeting computer that appeared to be faulty based on its previous failure. Also to prove to Luke that the force exists.

Exactly, thats the point I am saying here...ok I shouldn't have used the word 'where' apologizes on that I was mistaking where for when, but he did use The Force is my point.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Exactly, thats the point I am saying here...ok I shouldn't have used the word 'where' apologizes on that I was mistaking where for when, but he did use The Force is my point.

Yeah... I'd say that you used the wrong wording... and misunderstood the question.

Good questions so far!!!

My "curiosity" has always been piqued by the trajectory that Luke's torpedo's go in at to destroy the Death Star...they make an arbitrary 90° turn at exactly the right moment to go down the exhaust port...how the flip did they make that turn???

EDIT: Also, the excerpt taken from the book... there's a disconnect somewhere between the book and the movie as the events in the movie did not play out in that order.

Edited by FuryoftheStars