The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

LucasArts has been shutdown.

Raansu

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

So why exactly did Disney acquire the SW franchise? First they canceled the Clone Wars which was doing extremely well, and now they shut down LucasArts and cancel 1313 and first assault. Ya know, at first I was kind of hopeful that Lucas losing the franchise would be a good thing and bring new talent in, but instead Disney is just butchering everything...

I always doubt Disney, after MR George Lucas made his life's biggest mistake selling SW legacy to Disney I start to fill anger towards greedy Disney and now when they shut down Lucas arts I start to really hate Disney...

Disney thinks ''We are making new SW movie, that should cover everything!'', so now rest is left in shadow...

Lucas Arts will be the licensing arm and will no longer develop games. Games will be developed by other, better companies. All projects will most likely be made by other companies, including 1313. This was a brilliant move by Disney as LA has made a lot of crappy games. Remember TFU2? Movies, games, novels and tv shows will continue to be made. Disney will not ruin the franchise.

Lucas Arts will be the licensing arm and will no longer develop games. Games will be developed by other, better companies. All projects will most likely be made by other companies, including 1313. This was a brilliant move by Disney as LA has made a lot of crappy games. Remember TFU2? Movies, games, novels and tv shows will continue to be made. Disney will not ruin the franchise.

Too sad that they muck your face with mud of lies!...

I would love to see Mickey slaying Jawas...

Edited by sandisrd

Im just going to repost what has already been said in a dozen threads across loads of different forums and chat rooms --->

O.k, well as interesting as it all is, some how the big tag line today is "Disney shuts down LucasArts" and well it cant be further from the Truth. LucasArts is not shutting down, it is shifting its perspective away from development / creation to licensing. They are Basically doing what they have done with SW:TOR, instead of making the product they licensed it to BioWare / E.A and let them develop it.

Sadly it has come with the result of job losses which is never good, but on the flip side it can lead to bigger things down the road. Now that LucasArts no longer will develop and create SW titles in House it leaves the field open for a wide variaty of new Star Wars games, that LucasArts can license till the world ends.

So this could in fact be a good thing, as I point out with what was said in the statement released:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games, As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.

It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans. We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production… "

So its an End in one way but a New Hope in another ....... sorry for the bad pun, just dont get caught up in the hysteria of "Omg Disney screwed over Star Wars By shutting down Lucas Arts" cause they havent they have just shifted its focus.

Edited by rykiana-ferina

All the games aren't ruined. Star Wars games will continue. Disney is going to dstribute the rights to other companies rather than having only one own it all. To me, that can be good and bad. Let's just hope they don't completely ruin all the great upcoming games.

Lucasarts has been going downhill for sometime as a developing arm. This move will allow other companies to produce quality games in conjunction with Lucasarts (since the company isn't being shut-down completely as stated within articles). Disney made a completely valid business move that will expand the Star Wars game library, not contract it.

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

So why exactly did Disney acquire the SW franchise? First they canceled the Clone Wars which was doing extremely well, and now they shut down LucasArts and cancel 1313 and first assault. Ya know, at first I was kind of hopeful that Lucas losing the franchise would be a good thing and bring new talent in, but instead Disney is just butchering everything...

Did you actually READ the announcement? Sigh. They are shifting from internal development to external licensing of future Star Wars video games. This couldn't be better news. That means more companies will compete for the right to produce/create the next Star Wars game, which means more Star Wars. Calm down. Disney made a brilliant move.

I have to wonder about an Article on a Web Blogging Website that claims everything this guy just claimed, but which refuses staunchly to name the people it is using as "Reliable Sources." The reason he can't name them of course is because he is likely violating whatever laws are in place to prevent Insider Trading, or what not. But claiming he knows this kind of thing without providing source information is a bad way to do news.