Playing PVE and was jumped by a PVP player

Darwarhammer

Hello,

My friends and I were adventuring this weekend and it just so happens one of the missions is in a contested area. We are all PVE and have no desire to do PVP. Hence the reason we created or characters on a PVE server. So as it turns out My friend cast an area of effect spell on a group of 4 mobs were needed to kill and next thing you know she is being attacked by a Sith Assassin . He killed our healer but failed to realize my trooper was part of the group he jumped. So I targeted him and let all heck roll down upon his head. We killed him pretty easy but still this should never be allowed to happen. We were not tagged a PVP and did not intentionally target the Sith. Heck he was invisible we didn't even know he was there. It is easy to say well just don't use AoE spells try playing a trooper that takes nearly all of your weapons away (so that is unacceptable). We had to quick port back to a Cantina and then sit and wait for the PVP flag to wear off as we DO NOT DO PVP. This is my plea to please make a fix to this so it will stop happening.

Thanks for hearing me out,

Darwarhammer

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, this a "feature". The only question would be the PvP player's intent. If you think he/she intentionally used this "feature" to get your flags turned on then report it.

But it's not always intentional. This last couple times I saw this I think it was actually due to lag. NPC(s) are not always really where they appear to be, or they may appear to be in different places to different players. Seems to happen more and more these days. Tell-tale signs are NPCs moving too slow or too fast (or doing like a "gumby" run where they are moving fast but their legs aren't moving).

Why go back to the cantina for the flag to wear off when you guys were able to kill him?

Eh, I don't get why people are so opposed to pvp. Not saying I approve of the flagging exploits because I don't - another one I've heard about is casting gaurd on an npc an unflagged player is attacking...not sure if it works but if you're that opposed to pvp watch out for it I guess.

Guarding an NPC used to be a way to do it. Not sure if it still does, but probably yes. I don't recall seeing BW make any fixes for this kind of stuff in a long time (or else they just didn't advertise such).

What I've seen most recently (Ilum Gree event) is basically the flagged person engages something inside an AOE I am dishing out. The last one then Sir Robin'ed as fast as he could to disengage from the situation. I was alone so I have to assume it was not intentional, because otherwise why do it and then beat feet before I even fire a single shot at him.

Heavens to betsy did ya'll get the vapors and have to rest for a while? I mean good lawd one of the game constructs you had to fight was controlled by a person and not the computer. You must have all been all shaken up afterwards. I hope you all had some coco and exchanged backrubs before waiting for the coast to be clear of that 1 sith for the 4 of you. I cant believe such a thing could happen and in this day and age too. I hope you guys are all ok and not suffering from some kind of PTSD from this horrible incident.

hehe. ;)

Edited by Smuglebunny

To those pvp'ers who tell others to suck it up, get off your high horse and stop being jerks. People join a PVE server for a reason. They don't enjoy pvp, or they want to choose when to pvp, or many other reasons. A very common reason is that they don't want to be questing and get jumped by some pvp eager thug (because that is all they are) who either drags mobs into your aoe, or waits for you to pull mobs to try and get you to hit them so you flag, or even those who wait till you are flagged pvp and wait till you pull something else and then attack you. Take your pick of various jerk moves pvp'ers do that can make questing down right annoying. The gree even has proven just how annoying the pvp'ers can be, and I hope beyond hope that Bioware does not do another event like this again. It wasn't about pvp, it was about waiting to see how much of a jerk you could be.

That being said, there are clearly exploits that can cause a pvp flagged player to force a non flagged person to become flagged and those problems need to be addressed. They should not be able to use exploits for their silly little games.

I have played every class (on both Imp and Pub side), and never once did I HAVE to go ito a Contested area, with the exception of the Events on tatoonie, and illum...not sure what quest line you guys were completeing.

Only way to avoid this, is to avoid contested areas. it is COMPLETELY acceptable for PvP players to PvP in contested areas...if you were there it is safe to assume you were there to PvP.

On a side note, most contested areas I know of, auto flag you PvP upon entry to the area...maybe I have missed one or two though.

To extract revenge, tag a world boss, and try to kite him to the opposing teams base....thats always fun. :D

Hello,

My friends and I were adventuring this weekend and it just so happens one of the missions is in a contested area. We are all PVE and have no desire to do PVP. Hence the reason we created or characters on a PVE server. So as it turns out My friend cast an area of effect spell on a group of 4 mobs were needed to kill and next thing you know she is being attacked by a Sith Assassin . He killed our healer but failed to realize my trooper was part of the group he jumped. So I targeted him and let all heck roll down upon his head. We killed him pretty easy but still this should never be allowed to happen. We were not tagged a PVP and did not intentionally target the Sith. Heck he was invisible we didn't even know he was there. It is easy to say well just don't use AoE spells try playing a trooper that takes nearly all of your weapons away (so that is unacceptable). We had to quick port back to a Cantina and then sit and wait for the PVP flag to wear off as we DO NOT DO PVP. This is my plea to please make a fix to this so it will stop happening.

Darwarhammer

What? Since when does non targeted AOEs hit hostile players?

I missed the part where you said you were in a contested area....an area that flags you for pvp when you enter it and is there entirely for pvp.

you went into a pvp area....what did you expect to happen?

I assumed since he said

We were not tagged a PVP and did not intentionally target the Sith.

That they were actually on a "contested" planet... like Tatooine, not actually in the PVP zone. But yea good point.

The illum rep quests, yea I've never had so many people cry to me or curse at me. You think its awesome being the bad guy? I patrol that little pvp area and make sure players get the experience they apparently wanted when they decided to cross the line that flags them.

Can you imagine how hard it is to find a group for xeno after everyone hates you? I guess i have to settle for the green rep reward instead of the purples :(

This has happened to my wife several times... They will get in her attack path, set the flag and kill her. The people that get off on that, have real deep down internal issues. Do they actually sit there, alone, bragging to them self how amazing they are for killing unprepared people trying to enjoy a game? Yep, they have issues...

It has happened to me only once, now when it happens (rare, but they try), I will change instances. My wife and I always play on the smallest instance now, so it rarely happens anyway. Why on a PvE server it even needs to be like this, is another matter. I think its nice to have a PvP option, but loopholes all need to be closed. No one playing PvE should be forced into any PvP.. ever!

Problem is many people go to contested areas such as the one in the Gree event with no intention of pvping. I've seen orderly queues of both factions taking turns in activating the pylon. Then on another occasion you'll get jumped trying to do the same thing. It's the lottery of what will happen that makes in frustrating. Pvp areas should be exactly that and not peppered with pve token awards quests

That's quite common in fact. I found many of those players, rushing into every packs of mobs i'm fighting in hope of being hit by an AoE and them tagging me for PvP. To bad for them, i do not use AoE often so i never get caught but that's pretty common these days.

Let say it adds a bit of fun to the fights.

Yeah, apparently this happens. I've only accidentally gotten flagged once. Thankfully, however it happened, no one attacked me. I was just about finished with my missions, so I completed then went back to my ship to drop the flag.

It should always be that easy, but some people just can't be cool.

Problem is many people go to contested areas such as the one in the Gree event with no intention of pvping. I've seen orderly queues of both factions taking turns in activating the pylon. Then on another occasion you'll get jumped trying to do the same thing. It's the lottery of what will happen that makes in frustrating. Pvp areas should be exactly that and not peppered with pve token awards quests

This.

PvP areas should warrant PvP rewards.

This has happened to my wife several times... They will get in her attack path, set the flag and kill her. The people that get off on that, have real deep down internal issues. Do they actually sit there, alone, bragging to them self how amazing they are for killing unprepared people trying to enjoy a game? Yep, they have issues...

It has happened to me only once, now when it happens (rare, but they try), I will change instances. My wife and I always play on the smallest instance now, so it rarely happens anyway. Why on a PvE server it even needs to be like this, is another matter. I think its nice to have a PvP option, but loopholes all need to be closed. No one playing PvE should be forced into any PvP.. ever!

Agree.

It does not bother me so much if I am accidently flagged because I find that I can hold my own in most cases. I don't mind at all losing a fight if I have at least some chance of fighting back. But my experience is that once flagged (without even realizing it while in the middle of a fight with npcs sometimes), a group apprears and gang **********s you.

One try at the Gree event and after a short time my wife and I were flagged (still do not know what caused it) and low and behold here comes at least 30 grouped pvpers over the hill killing everything in their path. They then camped the area to make sure that no one could complete the quest. I had just about talked my wife into trying pvp, but her opinion of people who like that aspect of the game is now so low, she will never do it.

I think that the Gree event was designed poorly and discouraged a lot of pve players. I think that content should be designed to encourage people to play it and not to avoid it.

Hello,

There were three of us so yes it was silly for that Sith to try and take us out. We were on tatoone doing the mission, The thing the Zerka found or something like that.

I am not upset or shaken, thanks for your concern Snuglebunny. It is nice to know you were worried about us.

DrewFromPhilly, We went back to the Cantina because we thought it would be the best place to wait for the PVP flag to wear off. We do not seek to PVP and want to avoid it. Again that is why we play on a PVE server. If I enter a PVP area that flags me for PVP and I stay there then all is fair bring it on, however, that is not me. I want to adventure with friends without worrying about some Bully or potential Thug killing us.

When I very first started playing I created a smuggler on a PVP server. I hated getting jumped all the time so I switched to a PVE server.

Thanks for allowing me to vent!

Have a great day,

Darwarhammer

Hello,

Darwarhammer

There are two ways of handling this situation.

1) You may continue to quest and avoid PVP as much as possible, and when you run across someone coming up to PVP with you, you'll die more often than not (if they're geared) or you will be able to kill them in groups most likely.

2) You may accept that PVP gear is helpful in some of those areas where enemy players frequent, and begin a task of engaging in PVP matches to build up your PVP gear so that you can be ready when such events occur.

For me, it was always when I was doing dailies in the Black Hole area that I ended up getting jumped by other players. Eventually I got tired of it, joined the PVP queues, worked my way up to a good set of PVP armor, and now I do those dailies in my PVP armor, and when Imperials appear, they usually end up as smoking corpses with a Republic banner shoved in their back on the ground.

:)