The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

High heels and high heel boots

I have actually seen some fanatics claim that there are no high heels in the Star Wars universe.. :rolleyes:

Well, if you look at a certain holo advert in game, they would know high heels are now officially part of the Star Wars Universe.

Anyway, yes, I think they'd be a nice addition to our wardrobe. But High Heels do occasionally cause a LOT of headaches to developers as well. It depends on whether the engine allows for it or not. Just imagine a 7-inch heel. That character would have to move up 7 inches as well when standing, walking, etc, or half the foot would sink through the ground. So raise the character 7-inches, easy!

Now, let's say, someone kills the character. If the engine wasn't designed for high heels, the dead character would hover some 7 inches above the ground. So the rule "lift the character 7 inches" would need some exceptions added.

Then there is the thing that those heels add a little to the length of the legs. A character without heels, with his/her legs in an angle of X degrees, will have his/her feet apart by Y meters (most games are metric rather than imperial). Since the heel-wearing character has longer "legs" because of the heel addition, the bottoms of the feet will also be a bit further apart. Not much, but with some walking animations, the result will look like a really odd iceskating or moonwalking. It's not always noticable, but things might well end up that way.

Altogether, that makes for a LOT of things to fix in the game just to add high heels. If the engine already allows for them, then great, I hope Bioware adds a few some day. If the engine doesn't allow for them, then I won't get my hopes up, and understand if it simply wasn't done because it takes too much work. Still, it would always be interresting for the developers to just check whether the engine supports it or not.

only bad thing about this is the part about adding them to the cartel market

That's not bad. If it's a feature of the cartel market it will get done faster than if it were given away as part of the game for free. I rather it cost money by putting it in the cartel market, but gets done faster.

I should be clear, by faster I mean it's more of a priority.

Edited by Knockerz

As we can see, it seems like the short skirts was a huge hit, the Handmaiden skirt is selling well on GTN. Same for the tall Outlaw boots, they are still selling hot and for over 200k. My wife is all over both and if high heeled stuff came out, I think it will be great for male and female alike...

Ive actually been looking for boots that look the most like heels for my female trooper. Been considering Carth Onasi boots because they have a black leather look.

Its some what amusing when I think about it, because I spend much more time and money about how my female character should look than my male main.

• 3 months later...

I have made the suggestion twice during development for this game far before release.

High Heels can’t be too tricky to add. Even Guild Wars 1 did it! The idea that you will not find High Heels all over the Star Wars Galaxy is incomprehensible and outrageous.

I have made the suggestion twice during development for this game far before release.

High Heels can’t be too tricky to add. Even Guild Wars 1 did it! The idea that you will not find High Heels all over the Star Wars Galaxy is incomprehensible and outrageous.

Not if we go through six movies and never see them!

I'm pretty sure it would require new animations because I'm almost positive that it would look hilarious with the current running animation.

The trick is to hide the foot and a piece of ankle as high as the heel itself, and then rig a high heel boot to the leg instead of rigging it to the foot. So to add the heel, you shorten the leg. If done right, noone will notice the leg being a little shorter (about 7-10 percent), since the boot will hide that bit. The only telling thing is that heels wouldn't make a character visually taller. There are several more tricks to expand further on this one, which, depending on the game engine, may or may not work.

I would love high heels (I suggested this once before too!).

For those talking about the difficulty on animating this, I say make it simple - don't change the height of the character. Basically just add the heel in the usual foot position. The same way that some of the social gear sandals show bare legs, just by pasting over the toon.

You don't need heels to change the height and cause drama, they just need to look like they are wearing heels.

Edited by CrazyMcGee

• 3 months later...
Not if we go through six movies and never see them!

Wrong. When Anakin and Obi-Wan are in the club in AOTC there are plenty of women wearing them.

High heels are G-Canon. Not that I really care if BW adds them or not, but I was bored and reading through old suggestions and saw this.

sounds easy but high heals/boots are a complete nightmare to model then animate.

I doubt we will ever see anything like this in game.

It would be a lot more simple that you think. The game engine obviously has the capability to accomplish that, the feet and hands do articulate. moving the foot to a standing on the balls of the feet can be accomplished and added as easily as adding a new animation. It's just a matter of the base character positioning for the rest of the animations. They may have to override foot movement for walking but even that is not hard.

And if they didn't want to go to all that trouble a simple Alpha mask over the base foot and you would just add the shoe to it. This though would only work for a high heel boot and not something like a open toe high heel sandal. You would have trouble with matching skin tones for anything that showed skin.

Would be nice especially high heel boots as most my characters wear boots and can imagine the rp I could do "accidently" stepping on someone in the middle of their foot with it."

The old spy movie type thing where there's a blade hidden in the heel?

Actually I did that in when I was in school lol. (the stepping in the middle of someone's foot in my heels)

Hmmm.... I'm a guy, but I still wear those steel-reinforced work boots. those hurt like a ***** if you get stepped on, unless you're wearing the same.

How did that statement have anything to do with your post? No idea. :p