So.. is this really happening?

skiibyrd

I think I'm starting to see the whole picture here, but still maybe a little confused. There seems to be a big pattern taking place, and its pointing to this game being for people with a lot of extra money lying around. In other Big named MMO's a real money market place is a great way to add extra, non essential, cool content to the game, things that are not industry standard things, just fluff.

Why does it seem like that besides warzones, and operations EVERYTHING else in this game, since the cartel markey has been released, costs something to aquire, no matter if you sub or not. IMO if its a game FEATURE (aka in game character modification to body, hair, ect.... and future classes) should be given to the people who pay the monthly sub.

It seems this is not how this is going to be. If I have been reading correctly, the people who sub basically get the game content prior to the cartel market release for a monthly fee, then any content released after that, will have to be paid for in addition... I will just stop there, i think thats enough said... this trend is pointing to me dishing out a lot of extra money (yes, i know subs get free cartel coins a month... but with everything coming out, is it honestly enough?)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to pay for expansions but still CM is 100% optional for everybody however being a sub doesn't entitle anyone to not having to still pay for perks. It's just how it goes. I have multiple lifetime subs to a number of MMOs but still have to buy cash shop currency for certain perks. Still it's all optional.

It's a good question. I'm kind of shocked that the barber shop is now being relegated to Cartel Coins. That's a crock if you ask me.

I have to say, it seems as if the predictions were true.

And with people buying 2 packs of hypercrates at a time, I don't think it's going to end anytime soon.

That's EAWare for you. Trying to nickel and dime just about anyone they can. The monthly stipend you get from beinb a loyal customer isn't even enough. I just have the monthly complimentary CC sitting there, building up, collecting dust, just there not being spent on anything.

Probably as the months pass, more and more customers will realized this game's direction is the Cartel Market and this game will lose more players.

Not that I'm defending the direction the game is going, but what major F2P MMO right now has stuck to only cosmetic items and hasn't let development of the cash shop overtake development of the actual game?

Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest 2, and pretty much all the others - they've all gravitated toward revolving entirely around their cash shops.

Cash shops are money-makers. There are people out there that absolutely must have every single little thing from the cash shop, even if they end up spending $50 a month. Those are the people Bioware is targeting.

Edited by carnac_fett

Got to pay for expansions but still CM is 100% optional for everybody however being a sub doesn't entitle anyone to not having to still pay for perks. It's just how it goes. I have multiple lifetime subs to a number of MMOs but still have to buy cash shop currency for certain perks. Still it's all optional.

Understood, but should subs have to pay or features? We get the rest for free... And races? And come on, all gear and color crystals released since the cartel market ha been on cartel market? What's next? WZ and ops gear? Schematics for crafting? Mods, enhancements, armoring and hilts? They have already damaged synth weavers and (especially) artificers that sub by just straight up offering them on cartel market without schematics for gear and cool color crystals for crafting.

What you fail to realize is that you can get anything from the cartel market off of the GTN (aka auction house). I know cuz I buy everything I want off of the GTN. I only pay real world money for my monthly sub and have at least one of all the new color crystals. I have some mounts, armor, little bit of this and little bit of that. The only time I pay real world money is when I feel in a gambling mood and want to buy a cartel pack of one sort or anther.

Everything you can buy for real world money you can buy off of the GTN.

I think I'm starting to see the whole picture here, but still maybe a little confused. There seems to be a big pattern taking place, and its pointing to this game being for people with a lot of extra money lying around. In other Big named MMO's a real money market place is a great way to add extra, non essential, cool content to the game, things that are not industry standard things, just fluff.

That big named MMO would be SWTOR then :)

Everything that has been added to the real money marketplace is "extra, non essential, cool content to the game, things that are not industry standard things, just fluff" other than the items that need to be bought if you want to match the access that a subscriber gets without paying a sub.

Why does it seem like that besides warzones, and operations EVERYTHING else in this game, since the cartel markey has been released, costs something to aquire, no matter if you sub or not. IMO if its a game FEATURE (aka in game character modification to body, hair, ect.... and future classes) should be given to the people who pay the monthly sub.

In SWTOR all the actual meaningful content does not cost money if you are a subscriber. Everything that does cost you money is fluff. Character modification is cosmetic, it is fluff and its not game content.

It seems this is not how this is going to be. If I have been reading correctly, the people who sub basically get the game content prior to the cartel market release for a monthly fee, then any content released after that, will have to be paid for in addition... I will just stop there, i think thats enough said... this trend is pointing to me dishing out a lot of extra money (yes, i know subs get free cartel coins a month... but with everything coming out, is it honestly enough?)

Then you have not been reading correctly, subscribers will still get game content for free.

Yes. It is "weird". Subs get only basic content "for free", nothing new and extra isn't, everything cost something. Even Makeb which should be free expansion for subs not happend. Subs no longer receicing any additional content or stuff for being subs.

Yes. It is "weird". Subs get only basic content "for free", nothing new and extra isn't, everything cost something. Even Makeb which should be free expansion for subs not happend. Subs no longer receicing any additional content or stuff for being subs.

Call it a "small expansion" or "DLC" but either way you should not expect such things to be free for subscribers, that "Big name MMO" never gives expansions out for free (yes their expansions are bigger but they also cost a lot more). As a sub you do get it for half price.

If Makeb was just a one zone planet with an OP and no level cap increase then it should be free, but its more than that.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

It's a good question. I'm kind of shocked that the barber shop is now being relegated to Cartel Coins. That's a crock if you ask me.

I have to say, it seems as if the predictions were true.

And with people buying 2 packs of hypercrates at a time, I don't think it's going to end anytime soon.

I'm not surprised, Secret World sells the barber shop. plastic surgeon vouchers that way.

Well not quite, compare what subs get to what f2p get, still really getting considerable bang for the buck. F2p restrictions end up having to pay for weekly space passes, flashpoints and pay etc... plus getting comp coins makes the sub basically $10, in comparison it's not bad a deal. Can't expect to be entitled to everything free. Can expect to pay for new planets regardless.

We got the rep system & 3 rep venders....and f2p has to pay for unlocks to grind those reps...for 2 armor sets.

(space mission passes & section X authorization)

And that is basically it, since the CM launched.

How about charging f2p for some new unlocks & access to new content instead of charging subs?

How about rewarding the loyalty of subscribers instead of the "loyalty" of pack buyers?

How about giving us the SOONtm QoL improvements before dumping all the sub money into yet another feature for the CM?

Understood, but should subs have to pay or features? We get the rest for free... And races? And come on, all gear and color crystals released since the cartel market ha been on cartel market? What's next? WZ and ops gear? Schematics for crafting? Mods, enhancements, armoring and hilts? They have already damaged synth weavers and (especially) artificers that sub by just straight up offering them on cartel market without schematics for gear and cool color crystals for crafting.

the things you mention would be things that would have an impact on how powerful your character is and they would help you win. Therefore, they would be P2W and they've stated they do not want to go down that road. So maybe we should worry about it if they ever actually come up with a "genius" plan to add endgame gear to the CM.

As for Crew Skills being hurt by the market, I've said it before and I'm willing to say it again.

Artificers have not been nearly as hurt by it as Synthweavers and Armormechs.

Artificers might have lost most of their crystals (although older colors remain exclusive to them) but they could just shift their focus to endgame enhancements, hilts and relics and make a HUGE profit.

Synthweavers and Armormechs lost everything but augments and Augmentation kits, which are available to every Synthweaver/Armormech without the need to go through the expensive reverse engineering process of learning the schematic for a Hilt or an Enhancement, which in turn simply translates to "this is all we could make money from, therefore we all focused there and the prices went down faster than you can say Cartel Market".

What happened to Synthweaving/Armormech?

1. Lost a huge part of their profits to Cartel Market gear that was available almost for free on the GTN and looked twice as cool as 90% of what we could craft.

2. Got augmentation kits but in the process, lost our "Only augmented gear through crafting". Who would buy our "ugly/boring/old" gear when they could now buy the Kit and augment any (usually, Cartel Market) piece they liked? - so they stopped crafting as much, other than Kits and Augments

3. Got left behind when every other Crew Skill either had the chance to get better BoP items (like Exotech for Biochem) or learning a 61/63 schematic and all they could learn were empty Campaign/Dread Guard shells that needed 8 (IIRC) Molecular Stabs and sold for sh**.

4. The only upgrade they got to their crafting that moved them from BoP Rakata belts and bracers were BoE Campaign Belts/Bracers. The catch was that even if you Re'ed them, learned the schematic and were able to buy the mats to craft them... they were still worse than orange gear with L26 armoring and mod which by that time were cheaper and made more sense to buy as you could later move them to an alt,. Which also meant that you'd have to sell them for 0 profit.

(the last 2 points are not directly related to Cartel Market, but I'm just mentioning them to show the horrible situation armor crafters are in the game).

So, once again, as a person who has all crew skills, I have to point out that Armormech and Synthweaving are (as of 1.7.2) in a very, very, VERY bad place both because of the Cartel Market and because Bioware just simply chose to forget them...

Edited by TheNahash

Ok then. Please, tell me what upcoming content us subs are getting for free then?...

Achievement system and the FP Titans of Industry. We don't have much info on what's after 2.0 though, so this is sort of a silly question. It'll generally be more events, more warzones, more operations, more daily zones, pretty much what we've gotten more of up til now.

Ok then. Please, tell me what upcoming content us subs are getting for free then?...

Gree Event also the Raghoul event that is coming again. How much content have we had to pay extra for? We received new war zones, operations and gear all for free last year as far as I can remember only this year have they had the Makeb thing. History shows that for actual game content all you need is a subscription for the fluff stuff yes you will need to pay. So really what is your point? Cause it comes off as if you are saying I don't like it that we have to pay for this and I am going to make up stuff to justify my anger at not getting my way.

I know what you mean, aside from events (I don't consider Relics of the Tron Legacy to be much of an event) everything new seems to end up in the CM.

I've been a sub since launch, but because of the way the CM has been handled I've been considering leaving. I have 2 more characters I want to lvl, I'll hold off my final decision until then.

I've been a sub since launch, but because of the way the CM has been handled I've been considering leaving. I have 2 more characters I want to lvl, I'll hold off my final decision until then.

This. Letting my sub lapse, seeing how this'll go. I'm averse to putting any more money into this money grab that once started out as a cool game.

Why should we get anything for free? I don't understand.

I am not asking for the expansion for free. I have been gaming too long to ask for that. But I do feel there should be perks for continued and committed subscribers. I have been playing this game since launch and it is getting to the point where there is no reason to even do the content there is in the game. I don't know about ya'll but once you get a toon to 50 and gear them up, there is nothing to do but roll another alt.

They have taken away the reason to raid by making all of the raid gear craft able. They have been lazy with new looks and skins by just recoloring the ones we have. I have been on the pts and the fact that the new pve and pvp sets are the same really urks me. I want something to work for. I want something to show off. If I am valor capped I want a cool outfit or color crystal or speeder that no one else can get unless they do it. If I have completed the pve content I want pve gear that you can only get from that content.

I am sick of not having anything of status to set the skilled players apart from the ones that buy their way into a raiders gear. It is BS and it is what is pushing me and a lot of my friends out of the game. If I wanted to run instances to change my outfit I would be playing GW2. Give me a reason to raid, Give me a reason to PVP. Stop giving the casual player the same stuff a raider EARNS. Give your loyal subscribers the things that you have promised.

Duel spec

QOL fixes

New gear

The rep grind is ok but not enough to keep me coming back, I want something that sets me apart from the rest based on the time and effort I have put into playing and BW has taken all those away.

I want to be able to look at another player and know if they have done the content, I want to be able to look at someones gear and know if they are skilled enough to pug with my group. I want Raiders to have a set of vanity items that only they can get. I want Pvpers to have something they can show off after they grind the same wz's all day since there is not open world atm.

BW has stated that they want the casual player to be able to raid. Fine that is what Story Mode is for but don't allow the Casual player to be able to look like a committed raider. There is no need to raid if I can buy all the gear. What is there to motivate me... A title... yeah no thanks i'll pass.

We asked you to fix crafting, not replace raiding. We asked you to fix open world pvp, not create and event in that area and just give up on it. We asked for bug fixes, not a cash shop full of bells and whistles (did you think that would distract us?) We asked for better gear, and you guys can't figure out how to itemize it so we can actually wear a whole piece. I can't remember the last time I could use a whole piece of gear I earned.

Meh, this rant has been brewing for a long time. I just want a game that make sense to play, where I can actually earn something cool, and that cares enough about the players to want to fix **** when they **** it up.