Revan's Chestplate; any word on a fix?

Terin

Let me see if I can summarise a train of thought that seems a bit derailed.

<elaborate, logical explanation of the situation (please excuse me leaving this in Official-Yellow, but it is IMO needed to retain visual context) —Laurreth>

So you couldn't have changed the gear to look <completely different from what Revan is wearing if I actually stood beside Revan>?

Did I miss anything?

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your pictures are pointless, you are comparing the bug with the bug. Unless you are comparing it to a picture dated before 1.6.1 All your doing is running in a circle

Well, Revan does have visibly darker armor.

btw it was among the requests to bring revan's armor's colors to the state tehy were pre 1.6.1

People will never be happy with this, That's a fact and this thread is getting a touch old now. Game play bugs are a bigger issue then what my character looks like and theres many of them gone unresolved thus far. Yet a thread on a piece of armor gets 60 odd pages one has to laugh lol

I tried finding a screenshot of my character with the robes on when they first came out, but I came up empty. So, instead, I am using this picture as a comparison. If you inspect the file data, it shows as being last modified on 12 November 2012, before 1.6.1 according to the Patch Notes page.

Here is side-by-side of Revan in the same pose. Bloom is off in my screenshots, marked New, just because it was brought up earlier in this thread that bloom could make a difference. For what it's worth, I attempted to fiddle with my settings multiple times, and I could not re-create a darker Revan armor (like the Old ones here) without also messing up the belt portion too much.

Here is Revan, my character, and even a companion in the closest approximate black-dyed outfit I could manage. (Enshrouding Force with the Black/Yellow dye.) Bloom is off in this one as well. I'm including this only to be thorough and show that, yes, the colors match the current version of Revan in-game. However, as has been stated multiple times, these colors are not the colors of the old Revan, shown above.

EDIT: I forgot to add this Youtube video I found, which is old enough to show the original color of Revan's robes.

Oh, and personally, I don't feel strongly one way or the other. I actually use the robes for the secondary color, that coppery color you see on my character's lower robe. Heh. :o I was honestly just curious and wanted to see it side-by-side for myself. I do feel it was a bit misleading of BW to make it seem like the old color was coming back, however, when in reality they merely made sure the colors matched to the current version of Revan.

^ EricMusco, what more proof do you need that his chest armor is bugged? This post right here shows that your whole team messed up the colors in the first place.

Tell your incompetent team that they screwed up, and a fix is needed,

Yes, you did miss something. Revan's color is incorrect.

Assuming the color was changed, and I can't comment on that either way, you are using a pretty liberal definition of "incorrect." They have essentially said that the current color is what they want it to be. So what you are really asking for is a color change. It's entirely different from the double-hood fix, which they stated was a bug and not working as intended.

That said, there are other armors that still have the double hood bug (Investigator's Robe). If this was a bug, and not working as intended, on Revan's chest piece, then it should also be fixed on the others as well.

Silly question, but wouldn't allowing people to use dyes on Lore armor fix this whole silly debate?

We would be forced to pay over 1mil credits (Depending on how many characters you want the revan set to be fixed on) or spend CC or RL money to get the black dye.

If the Black Dye wasn't so pricey, then I would agree with you.

This is an easy fix.

This thread is getting to the point of pathetic. Eric Musco and the art team has done everything he can to fix such a MINOR issue and people are complaining. Is everyone on this forum 12 years old???\

Its the lighting people. It also effects lightsaber colors in certain areas. Get over it!

Assuming the color was changed, and I can't comment on that either way, you are using a pretty liberal definition of "incorrect." They have essentially said that the current color is what they want it to be. So what you are really asking for is a color change. It's entirely different from the double-hood fix, which they stated was a bug and not working as intended.

That said, there are other armors that still have the double hood bug (Investigator's Robe). If this was a bug, and not working as intended, on Revan's chest piece, then it should also be fixed on the others as well.

BioWare says many things, but they are usually wrong.

Yes, I am asking for the color to be reverted back to the way it used to be. (AKA: Chest and legs MATCH at all times)

This thread is getting to the point of pathetic. Eric Musco and the art team has done everything he can to fix such a MINOR issue and people are complaining. Is everyone on this forum 12 years old???\

Its the lighting people. It also effects lightsaber colors in certain areas. Get over it!

Read Magnusheart's post

Now then. Bioware. My endgame. The final 2 pictures alone will 100% PROVE THERE WAS, AND IS A COLOR BUG, AND THE ROBES ARE IN FACT SUPPOSED TO BE A BLACK PRIMARY. But I will be nice enough to show even more then and now comparisons before and now in the patch.

But for those to lazy and wish to skip to the key images to prove they were BLACK and NOT GREY. Look at the spoilers for the shortcut

ITS NOT A LIGHTING ISSUE, HERE IS ONE IN BRIGHT CLEAR LIGHT. PUB SIDE.

If this one doesn't prove it, I'm going back to World of Warcraft.

From the conclusion quest. "The Jedi Prisoner"

Revan on the Telos after Maelstrom Prison PRE PATCH 1.6.1 BLACK ROBES

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2lvehc7.jpg

Revan on the Telos after Maelstrom Prison NOW POST PATCH 1.6.1 LIGHT GREY

http://oi42.tinypic.com/35bxmv9.jpg

ITEM COMPARISON SHOWING THE SET WAS BLACK PRIMARY BEFORE 1.6.1

Revan's BLACK Robes before they were bugged to light grey in BETA- pre 1.6.1

http://oi48.tinypic.com/dovzi9.jpg

After 1.6.1's Light Grey Bug to now 2.2.1

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2ptorx5.jpg

SAME LIGHTING, BT and Sex and Class. Different patch times.

The bug affected the entire set, not the top back before 1.6.1 The primary was BLACK. before that patch.

NPC COMPARISON OF REVANS ROBES BEING BLACK BEFORE PATCH 1.6.1

Battle Ready:

Image of Revan in the Foundry PRE 1.6.1 Black Robes.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120520103151/starwars/images/2/26/RevanFinalDuel01.jpg

Image of Revan in the Foundry NOW Post 1.6.1 Light Grey

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2cz57df.jpg

Revan's Redemption Speech:

Image of Revan in the Foundry PRE 1.6.1 Black Robes

http://calreth.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/swtor-2012-01-08-02-24-54-181.jpg

(If image does not work)

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2jzlmv.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2iibo90.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^ This. For the new page.

Your pictures are pointless, you are comparing the bug with the bug. Unless you are comparing it to a picture dated before 1.6.1 All your doing is running in a circle

Look, I get that you're passionate about this, but before you call Eric a liar, you should actually pay attention to what he wrote:

When I said originally there would be a color shift along with the double hood, we were also under the impression it would require a color shift to appear the same as the NPC armor. Unfortunately after looking over the NPC armor it appears it was already the same color, so no color shift occurred.

Eric never claimed that Revan's robes are the same color as what they were in the past, and he never claims that they are "supposed" to be darker. The only thing he claims is that currently the CM Revan's robes are the same color as the ones the Revan NPC is wearing, and that this is how BW wants it.

You can make the argument that you would still prefer them to be darker, but don't call him a liar or tell him that what he's telling isn't true, when it clearly is. That just makes you look like a crazy person.

Edited by Rassuro

MagnusHeart: I have reading glasses--can see just fine. But thanks for the assist there, bud.

I noticed that your screenshots are of the login screen, and that Revan is not a character available to players on login; this makes side-by-side comparisons a bit tricky.

May I make, however, a very relevant request? I think I have an idea of what's going on here...

Could you set your textures or overall graphics settings to Medium and Low, and try screenshots of those as well?

The reason I ask is that...well, there's an interesting effect that goes back to the game's launch. You remember the old Holoterminal glitch? Where you can see your character in full high-res textures and lighting for like 2 seconds when you activate the holoerminal on your ship? One thing that always struck me, back when forumites were screeching about wanting that level of detail by default, was the dramatic difference in lighting. Outfits seemed to almost cast their own glowing luminance, and took on rather different appearances (in addition to more detail).

When I look at your comparative images, I can't help but notice that in one, it's clearly before BW moved to the higher graphical performance settings, and the other is after. I'm suspicious that the variance in luminosity might be due to the way the engine lights models on the higher gfx settings, as opposed to the color of the robes (and thus, all of the persuasion in the world to alter the outfit's color will not have any effect).

I know there have been some arguments in this thread that having the appearance change because of lighting is a screw-up on Bioware's part, but those posters are, frankly, idiots. Put a vibrant yellow outfit in a dark room with backlighting, and it'll be black--put a deep black robe in bright light and it'll be dark grey. Thus, if the complaint is that the robe isn't a "flat" enough black, and that its reflectivity index is too high, then that's something no outfit colorist can fix--we've got to get Bioware to ask the right people to look at the issue. Whether that's a modeller, texturer, or someone working on the engine itself depends a bit on how the game defines the amount of lighting to do on each outfit.

Can you confirm this is the issue?

Edited by Journeyer

Do you also have the picture of player that is wearing Revan's robe during the cutscene with Revan? The point is to prove that the 2 chests (CM and NPC) have different color even when they're in the same environment (in darker lightning as Eric said).

For reference, clarity, and comparison this is a screenshot from the scene after Revan is rescued. This was taken in-game April 27, 2012.

MagnusHeart: I have reading glasses--can see just fine. But thanks for the assist there, bud.

I noticed that your screenshots are of the login screen, and that Revan is not a character available to players on login; this makes side-by-side comparisons a bit tricky.

May I make, however, a very relevant request? I think I have an idea of what's going on here...

Could you set your textures or overall graphics settings to Medium and Low, and try screenshots of those as well?

(snip)

Can you confirm this is the issue?

I had this same thought, so I went through the conversation in the Foundry multiple times. I did my best to change my graphics settings around as much as possible and I tried several different combinations. I, at least, could not reproduce the darker robe appearance without also messing up the rest of the outfit (and, well, everything else). More to the point: I could not get a current in-game screenshot that looked anything like an old screenshot.

In my post here I put Revan, in the same pose, next to himself. This was the closest direct comparison I could make. As stated, I have no strong feelings on the subject and I did this out of curiosity, so I at least did my best to approach the issue with a skeptical eye. If others would do the same and see if they can make it happen, I'd love to see the results.

Furthermore: If the complaint that 1.6.1 "broke" the coloration is correct, then that patch was several months after the biggest graphics optimizations were put into the game (1.2 and 1.3, unless I am missing something). I tried skimming the patch notes to see if there was an actual, intended, noted graphics change at the time, but I didn't see anything.

Long story short: I did not, at first, believe it to be an actual color issue. I now feel I have reason to believe that it is.

Edited by wishingwell

Why would Revan not being available at the login screen be relevant? The issue isn't that the Cartel Market robes are different to the NPCs robes. The issue is that they're both wrong.

Revan's robes on both the player robes and the NPC have been changed from black to grey. That is the colouring bug, not that the robes are different to the NPC.

BioWare says many things, but they are usually wrong.

Yes, I am asking for the color to be reverted back to the way it used to be. (AKA: Chest and legs MATCH at all times)

It's a matter of preference, not correctness. They can't be "wrong" in making an armor the color they want it to be. If there isn't a bug present, then you guys are just complaining that it's not the color you want it to be. What about people that prefer the color the way it is atm? Should we start having votes on what color every piece of armor in the game should be? (they would all be black)

I am for allowing dyes on lore items. I am for fixing other BUGS (like the double-hood still present on the Investigator's Robe). I am not for BioWare changing the color of items just because a group of players don't like it the way it is. That's the whole point of the dye system.

I at least did my best to approach the issue with a skeptical eye. If others would do the same and see if they can make it happen, I'd love to see the results.

...snip

Ahh, thank you for your side-by-side; I hadn't seen it (And thank you for reading my post!). That's quite interesting there, as the difference in tone is much more subtle than the other comparison I'd been looking at, but much more compellingly clear in its differences. (I agree that the last big update to higher res textures and auto-detected gfx settings was 1.5, but given the screenshots I was looking at, it was clearly a comparison between the old medium res textures and the new high res ones; I figured the screenshotter might have recently changed his settings, or had them auto-changed)

The two images are different enough to be distinct, yet similar enough that I still wonder if lighting hasn't made the difference.

Given your post, I'd wonder @ Bioware whether anything changed recently in the way that lighting is handled? Such that the same outfit, under the same lighting as you demonstrated, might give off a bit more light? I *know* that the way in which lighting was handled changed in 1.5, and at that time, we were told "it's joined by some even better improvements in the pipe." Sometime after that, we got dynamic shadows. Is it possible that everything was artificially lightened a bit, for example, to account for the new selective darkness introduced by shadows? Was there something else in that pipe we don't know about? :D If the colors are numerically the same, can the lighting guys weigh in?

Edited by Journeyer

Low, Medium, and High res wouldnt matter.

Black Robes pre 1.6.1

Grey Robes post 1.6.1

The resolution is nearly the same. The pre 1.6.1 picture looks fuzzier because its from a frozen part of a you tube video. It's not a lighting issue, its not a resolution issue. I've had a 1080P desktop powerhouse I got for this game. I know it was changed during that patch, I've *****ed about Revan's Armor bugs before the Phantom and Spymaster fiasco. The Primary color was altered when the armor was changed to accommodate the Revan Mask for body type 3 without clipping issues. of patch 1.6.1

beta-1.6.0 Item screenshot of Revan's set

1.6.1-now item screenshot of Revan's set

Why is it so hard, with photos, AND YOUTUBE showing Revan's set Primary was Black before that patch to fix 1. STUPID ARMOR SET? This is stupid and redundant, that it is taking over 6 months to fix 1 armor set, out of the many that are broken in the cartel market.

Revan's Primary Color is still light grey instead of the black it used to be before patch 1.6.1

Investigator's chest has a double hood, hood down shouldn't exist

Pathfinders chest has a double hood, hood down shouldn't exist

Preceptor's Robe has a clipping mesh error for its butt-flap sticks out of the robe part.

Calo Nord's Helmet on most sex/body types has your head sticking out of it.

Calo Nord's Chestpeice has HORRIBLE clipping meshes with the bags on the jacket free fall mesh parts.

Thana Vesh's butt cover robe piece doesn't position properly for MALES.

Trouble Makers Duster has similar buggy appearance above on females.

Relaxed Vestments have a horrible glitch on female bodies under the right breast. http://img2.picload.org/image/awowraa/chestglitch.jpg

Bastila Shan's Brown shoulder parts clip inside on every sex/bodytype doing any animations even walking.

Now then. Bioware. My endgame. The final 2 pictures alone will 100% PROVE THERE WAS, AND IS A COLOR BUG, AND THE ROBES ARE IN FACT SUPPOSED TO BE A BLACK PRIMARY. But I will be nice enough to show even more then and now comparisons before and now in the patch.

But for those to lazy and wish to skip to the key images to prove they were BLACK and NOT GREY. Look at the spoilers for the shortcut

ITEM COMPARISON SHOWING THE SET WAS BLACK PRIMARY BEFORE 1.6.1

Revan's BLACK Robes before they were bugged to light grey in BETA- pre 1.6.1

After 1.6.1's Light Grey Bug to now 2.2.1

SAME LIGHTING, BT and Sex and Class. Different patch times.

The bug affected the entire set, not the top back before 1.6.1 The primary was BLACK. before that patch.

NPC COMPARISON OF REVANS ROBES BEING BLACK BEFORE PATCH 1.6.1

Battle Ready:

Image of Revan in the Foundry PRE 1.6.1 Black Robes.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120520103151/starwars/images/2/26/RevanFinalDuel01.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2cz57df.jpg

Revan's Redemption Speech:

Image of Revan in the Foundry PRE 1.6.1 Black Robes

http://calreth.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/swtor-2012-01-08-02-24-54-181.jpg

(If image does not work)

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2jzlmv.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2iibo90.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://oi42.tinypic.com/35bxmv9.jpg[/Quote]