No Voip programs in game still?

mosskiller

It was in Star Trek Online, commonly considered one of the worst MMOs of all time, so we should use it here in SWTOR. Furthermore , STO was so great but WoW, the most sucesfull MMO is awful. Umm... yeah

/thread

lol wut?

Please re-read that post - nowhere did I say WoW is awful. "Chip meet shoulder"...:rolleyes:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the dirty little secret behind most of the resistance me thinks. But people won't say that is the reason; they say "Oh the lag will be terrible!" or "No one will use it!" or <insert alternate made up excuse here>...

They will say anything to keep their advantage in WZs.

In this case you are prolly right:) It would be interesting if they ever did implement chat here, what would happen with that

It's a simplistic statement because it's a simple problem. It's not cost effective for EA and therefore they are not going to green light it under any conditions no matter how bad we want it and If you think that's being deluded then your simply to young and inexperienced in the real world and a little thing I like to call GREED.

I don't like it any more than you do but, it is what it is.:(

Since when is making sound financial decisions considered greed...

Since when is making sound financial decisions considered greed...

The problem is what you and I perceive as cost effective is completely different to what EA perceives as Cost effective. If you own a bussiness and are making a great profit and then one of your employees suggest an Idea that dipp's into profits but will make your customers happier you would consider it and look at the possibilities and maybe try it. Now if I'm a BW high ranking employee and suggest something to EA that might dipp in profit's I'm going to be laughed right out the door due to the fact that EA doesn't care about the making improvement to an already profitable game. They would just assume stay the course they are on and not bother.

The problem is what you and I perceive as cost effective is completely different to what EA perceives as Cost effective. If you own a bussiness and are making a great profit and then one of your employees suggest an Idea that dipp's into profits but will make your customers happier you would consider it and look at the possibilities and maybe try it. Now if I'm a BW high ranking employee and suggest something to EA that might dipp in profit's I'm going to be laughed right out the door due to the fact that EA doesn't care about the making improvement to an already profitable game. They would just assume stay the course they are on and not bother.

But this is implying that voice over IP would make people happy. From this thread I can tell most people would not be happy with it. I suppose we could just not use it if we didn't like it but the problem is, every hour spent on making the VOIP system is an hour not spent making content. Every dollar spent on making a VOIP system is a dollar notspent on making content. Furthermore, a large majority of people will not use it if it is there for various reasons. Not to mention making a quality VOIP would cause disastrous server lag, cost a large sum of money and would take a large amount of time. So not wasting time and money on an unnecessary item is a sound econmic decision.

Oh and trust me, I hate EA as much of the next guy (lol,servers for a single player game) (I want my refund!!) (please don't ban me), but choosing to not include a VOIP is a smart move.

TL;DR VOIP is a waste of time and money. Get over it /thread

I really think they should have an in game VOIP.. would make guilds alot more talkative, and also groups alot more smoother.

I use ventrillo, but alot of times i hate going in there because I never know who I am gonna have to deal with, but an in game voice option would be a great idea. I won't have to worry about logging into the vent and when I'm in a group I wont have to worry about getting vent info, also it will make players a little more respectful of you when they have a real voice behind the toon. I think anyhow, depending on the community and the group this could make things worse when certain bullys are around.

But this is implying that voice over IP would make people happy. From this thread I can tell most people would not be happy with it. I suppose we could just not use it if we didn't like it but the problem is, every hour spent on making the VOIP system is an hour not spent making content. Every dollar spent on making a VOIP system is a dollar notspent on making content. Furthermore, a large majority of people will not use it if it is there for various reasons. Not to mention making a quality VOIP would cause disastrous server lag, cost a large sum of money and would take a large amount of time. So not wasting time and money on an unnecessary item is a sound econmic decision.

Oh and trust me, I hate EA as much of the next guy (lol,servers for a single player game) (I want my refund!!) (please don't ban me), but choosing to not include a VOIP is a smart move.

TL;DR VOIP is a waste of time and money. Get over it /thread

If creating this thing means causing the gaming performance to deteriorate , then I would probably oppose it. I like the idea though.

Really ask any EQ2 player,it works great i never used any third party program after the chat became available,like i said the only people who have issue's with VOIP in game have a host of other issue's and one of them is mainly being anti social in an MMO of all things which i find funny,people brought up abuse,that is very rare and guess what people abuse chat far more,why? because they dont hear a human being behind the pixels it's that disconnect that creates this from the IM,Tweet generation.

Your anecdotal evidence of one game that may or may not have a decent in-game VOIP is taken with the grain of salt that it was meant to be. There's a reason why every guild I've ever seen in every game I've ever played has used TS, Mumble, or Vent. In-game VOIP is usually terrible.

And to those people bringing up PUGs in WZs, I mean, really? Do you honestly believe that 8 random people thrown together in a WZ group are going to use in-game VOIP? I would never bother wasting my time.

And, finally, here's the only argument that needs to be made on why there shouldn't be VOIP in game. It's a waste of time and resources on a program that would be largely neglected by the community as a whole. Especially when I can't even get the ability to toggle other people's buffs/debuffs on or off. Or be able to differentiate my buffs/debuffs from those of other people.

It would cause a lot of lag, and to be honest its not needed.

Anyone competent enough to download one can download the other 2, I have all 3 and I barely ever use teamspeak. They are just looking for an excuse to do little work imo.

Causing lag may be a problem, but I am skeptical, this thing not being needed is total BS, I would definately use it.. I prefer this thing over ventrillo. I have a guild, but we don't always do everything together, aside from pre-made warzones... this option would definately help out in random groups.

I am wondering if people don't want those to have it, because they are in vent with their guild and have an upper hand, but if everyone was using this in game that may make their easy wins alot more challenging.

What are the true motives behind people not wanting this tool that sounds so usefull? I played games where they have an in game voice and didn't notice alot of lag because of it.

Yes, I do have vent and can easily get in a premade with everyone in vent, but then what about the random matches? This VOIP could be such a handy tool in those times when you aren't with your guildies, or don't feel like dealing with all the personalities in vent. I only use vent when I am doing pvp premades and group activites with the guild, but I really hate logging in that thing, because it takes me off course and I don't get things I would like to get done, because I feel the need to participate with the others.

Then you have those guildies who simply refuse to get in vent, so this would be a good thing for those guys too.

If creating this thing means causing the gaming performance to deteriorate , then I would probably oppose it. I like the idea though.

Thank you for listening to the voice of reason. It would be nice but there are better ways to spend the time an money and third party program work just fine. The server lag would become unbearable as well.

Bioware is to gaming what Ventrilo/Teamspeak is to voice communication. In respect to Bioware as an influential game developer, wouldn't it be wise for them just to remain in the profession? It could be less of a strain for those who don't have Vent/TS and wish not to install for a built-in in-game VOIP, but why should Bioware commit their resources to this when there exists other VOIP providers which may likely be better?

Whether it is better is a point of view. I like to use vent because it is a necessary tool in certain situations, but I would prefer this in game VOIP over the vent. My reasoning behind this is simple, With this in game option guilds will be more social, and you don't have to hop in vent and get stuck there all day. Right now it seems like alot of the conversation is going on in vent and some guildies are left out because they either refuse to get in vent, or just don't want to deal with entertaining people in vent.

Give us this voip solution, would revive dying guilds and you wont have to feel like staying in vent and get stuck there while you need to cook food or take a shower or go to the store.

That's really my main problem with vent. I feel like I have to keep a conversation going, then I feel like I need to go do things with the people in vent, and then that gets in the way of real life. When I simply wanted to log in and do a few warzones or do one FP, I am being dragged into alot more.

Whether it is better is a point of view. I like to use vent because it is a necessary tool in certain situations, but I would prefer this in game VOIP over the vent. My reasoning behind this is simple, With this in game option guilds will be more social, and you don't have to hop in vent and get stuck there all day. Right now it seems like alot of the conversation is going on in vent and some guildies are left out because they either refuse to get in vent, or just don't want to deal with entertaining people in vent.

Give us this voip solution, would revive dying guilds and you wont have to feel like staying in vent and get stuck there while you need to cook food or take a shower or go to the store.

That's really my main problem with vent. I feel like I have to keep a conversation going, then I feel like I need to go do things with the people in vent, and then that gets in the way of real life. When I simply wanted to log in and do a few warzones or do one FP, I am being dragged into alot more.

Since most bigger guilds use a third party software, I don't think that this would effect them one way or another. Besides, most of the ingame chat I have seen requires you to be in a party/fellowship whatever. Since most of the guild is NOT gonna be in a party, then it wouldn't help them. It would help pug raids and pvp, and that's cool, but please don't use the "it will make guilds more talkative angle" doesn't really work well:) I'm not saying that in-game chat wouldn't be cool, but it really is only useful for a certain group of players at a certain time. No game has a wide open server-wide chat functionality. And TBH, I am sure that most folks wouldn't be part of it if there was one. Just like most of the players in the game don't care about the forums.

I also don't get the need to stay in vent while showering, going to the store whatever. Why would a guild want you in vent if you aren't there? Seems nuts.

Here's a quote from good ol' Mr Reahard.

Firstly, in-game VOIP. Look, I know it makes for a good back-of-the-box (do we still have game boxes?) bullet point, but the reality is that it's a waste of development resources even if it's shoe-horned in there by a third party.

I mean, really, what guild with a clue doesn't use Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Mumble these days? These are all free apps -- unless you're the guild leader paying for the server, and even then it's usually much cheaper than a traditional MMO sub -- and they dwarf the functionality found in current in-game solutions. In-game VOIP is going to be laggy, it's going to sound like crap, and the only people who might use it for more than five minutes are the poor saps in pickup dungeon groups.