Endgame Crafting Goes Buh-Bye in 2.0

Heezdedjim

This game is not a WoW clone... similar, but regardless if you like WoW or not (which i don't), BiS crafting is a bad for an MMO. SWTOR's market proves it.

BiS is not bad, lol. That opinion is literally the antithesis of anyone who ever played an MMO besides WoW.

The major problem with SWTOR's crafting AND RAIDING is that they overlap. If raiding provided gear that did not overlap with crafters' market, and crafting materials came solely from outside the raid, this game would have a bustling economy and active raid participation.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BiS is not bad, lol. That opinion is literally the antithesis of anyone who ever played an MMO besides WoW.

The major problem with SWTOR's crafting AND RAIDING is that they overlap. If raiding provided gear that did not overlap with crafters' market, and crafting materials came solely from outside the raid, this game would have a bustling economy and active raid participation.

That is the case on 2.0. Items like augments, Stims, adrenals, and medpacs cannot be earned through raids. However, everything else has to be earned through raids. People are forgetting how important augments and stims are for raiding. Having full augments and stims are pretty much like adding an extra 2 pieces of gear.

That is the case on 2.0. Items like augments, Stims, adrenals, and medpacs cannot be earned through raids. However, everything else has to be earned through raids. People are forgetting how important augments and stims are for raiding. Having full augments and stims are pretty much like adding an extra 2 pieces of gear.

the problem is that makes the rest of crafters' endgame content pointless, thus the content still overlaps.

Now, if everything we could currently equip was best obtained from crafting, and PVP and PVE content provided gear for another slew of slots that crafters did not touch, that's what would give us the proper bustling economy.

the problem is that makes the rest of crafters' endgame content pointless, thus the content still overlaps.

Now, if everything we could currently equip was best obtained from crafting, and PVP and PVE content provided gear for another slew of slots that crafters did not touch, that's what would give us the proper bustling economy.

Rest of crafters? You mean just cybertechs? Every crafting skill has the ability to craft BiS items in 2.0 except cybertechs, and cybertechs already have the upperhand on pre lvl 55 armorings/mods which still will have a market, because lvl 54 items will be entry-level gear for flashpoints and SM operations. Every crew skill does not have to have to make the best endgame gear for crew skills to have a purpose at lvl 55.

Edited by bbare

Rest of crafters? You mean just cybertechs? Every crafting skill has the ability to craft BiS items in 2.0 except cybertechs, and cybertechs already have the upperhand on pre lvl 55 armorings/mods which still will have a market, because lvl 54 items will be entry-level gear for flashpoints and SM operations. Every crew skill does not have to have to make the best endgame gear for crew skills to have a purpose at lvl 55.

the value of your crew skills, which take time and effort to train and gather resources, is significantly diminished when only a very small fraction of the goods have an endgame use, thus lessening your potential to make profit. The lack of endgame goods to construct also results in deflated cost, just barely countered by the massive influx of credits into the market from dailies -as it is-.

On paper, what you say would work out. In practice, there's no real market to profit from besides "BRING ME MATS AND I MAKE UR CRUD, PLS GIVE TIP", or selling the consumables, which are already low, low profit as it is on the Bastion. And augment kits and augs go for nothing now.

Rest of crafters? You mean just cybertechs? Every crafting skill has the ability to craft BiS items in 2.0 except cybertechs, ...

Eh?

So far as I know, hilts, barrels, relics, earpieces, implants, armoring, mods and enhancements at a 72 level are all uncraftable. As far as BiS goes, this leaves augments and stims.

the value of your crew skills, which take time and effort to train and gather resources, is significantly diminished when only a very small fraction of the goods have an endgame use, thus lessening your potential to make profit. ...

What kind of profit are you after? I make enough money on grade 26 stuff (even today) to supplant any need for dailies. The grade 27 stuff is just icing on the cake.

The ability to craft Underworld stuff could probably net 10 million in a good week. The ability to craft Arkanian could probably net half a million weekly easy breezy.

So the 10 million is what you're after? Anything less isn't worth it?

Edited by Khevar

That's what I've always thought.

Crafting should provide BiS gear that raiding can't get.

Raiding should provide BiS gear that crafting can't get.

I've seen it work before, so why shouldn't it work here?

So, does this mean I will no longer be able to craft level 10-45 purple gear? I worked very hard for years for that ability. Or is this just a change to level 50 and above gear?

It's not actually a change, they're just not letting us craft Underworld (level 72) sets. Since you're only crafting 10-45 you're 27 levels away from being affect.

So far as I know, hilts, barrels, relics, earpieces, implants, armoring, mods and enhancements at a 72 level are all uncraftable. As far as BiS goes, this leaves augments and stims.

Augments and stims are enough to make crafting at lvl 55 viable. Getting fully augmented and stimmed up is almost as good as going from Arkanian to Underworld gear.

One of the great things about this game that set it apart from wow was having relevant endgame crafting. Removing the top tier from being craft-able completely ruins that. Being able to craft the 30s, while not useless, is no where near as useful as being able to do the 26s and 27s was. I geared up all my alts in 27s, the time and effort put into that was worth it. Took at least 4 months to get all the relevant patterns. With the 30s not even being the top gear, the mats being much harder to obtain, and the RE chance being halved why would i even bother crafting stuff for my alts?, might as well just run story mode ops and faceroll my way through. I dont mind gearing a toon or 2 through raid drops, but most of my alts will be abandoned now because there is no way im going to raid across enough of them to get them all geared up this way. This is a crappy change and in my opinion lowers the appeal of the game.

In my opinion they have gone too far with the changes. If they had just reduced the RE chance, and the mat drops but left in REing 72s, that would have been fine with me, a bit annoying considering how hard it was to learn some stuff at 20% (20 skill barrel 27s) I think that would have been sufficient to keep the crafting limited for a few months even with the REing of player made components. Or if they had removed the REing of player made mods and left the rest alone i could have eventually accepted that as well. Raiding isnt fun enough to keep me interested in playing for more than a month or 2 and i fear that I will not enjoy the game enough after 2.0 to keep playing for more than a few months, certainly not 4-6 months that seems to be the time between their raid releases

the value of your crew skills, which take time and effort to train and gather resources, is significantly diminished when only a very small fraction of the goods have an endgame use, thus lessening your potential to make profit. The lack of endgame goods to construct also results in deflated cost, just barely countered by the massive influx of credits into the market from dailies -as it is-.

On paper, what you say would work out. In practice, there's no real market to profit from besides "BRING ME MATS AND I MAKE UR CRUD, PLS GIVE TIP", or selling the consumables, which are already low, low profit as it is on the Bastion. And augment kits and augs go for nothing now.

Your point is moot.

In my 12+ years experience playing MMOs and their respective in game economies I have never seen an MMO where every item a particular crafting skill can make actually sell consistently and persistently. I have found that 99% of those who craft for profit find a handful of items and focus their efforts on those items. Those who are adaptable to markets have a larger number of items to craft but that is (more often than not) the result having access to multiple crafting skills not having more items within a given crafting skill. Players choose to sell a small subset of items, they are not forced into that subset.

Augments and stims are enough to make crafting at lvl 55 viable. Getting fully augmented and stimmed up is almost as good as going from Arkanian to Underworld gear.

How if we reverted the thing?

Mods are craft-able and only shells and augments loot from the Ops.

Really, it's almost as simple as this (would require a complete rework of crafting for all tradeskills to be valuable, but that's something else).

Edited by JMCH

It's not actually a change, they're just not letting us craft Underworld (level 72) sets. Since you're only crafting 10-45 you're 27 levels away from being affect.

ah, good. I am a founder and closed beta tester so I will reach those levels in 2015 at my current rate of play.

Nope. I don't believe it.

Crystals: Crafters will finally get a large amount of colour crystals to craft. They will be no longer loot only! You can farm up/grind them now and r/e your columi/rakata and other colours, like black-purple. After 2.0 those colours will be drop in the new ops. I am sure purple crystals will be in demand with so new many players around.

Mods/Enhancements and such: While top gear is not craftable, progression guilds will still want their members to optimize their Arkanian stuff as soon as possible. Even casuals and semi-hardcore guilds will want it to decrease their chances of wiping over and over. It means the Arkanian stuff WILL sell as it will be recommended for the new hard mode ops. Grinding best in slot of that stuff will take time but with crafters around it's gonna be faster. Also look at the XP boosts recently and sick amounts of alts people have. Not all of them are "play and forget". Some people might want to gear them up but they have only time to participate in ops with a single character. And here comes a crafter.