Best PVP Tank in 2.0?

Twitchy_Eye

I realise this may be opening a can of worms and I also realise it may depend on precisely the role one is trying to fill, but what do people think which tank will be best for PVP in 2.0?

At the moment in terms of pure survival and therefore keeping others alive the best tank seems to be Guardian\Jugg. They just have so many ways to regain health and mitigate damage without relying on shield. But will that change with the changes to shields in 2.0?

Be interested to hear your thoughts and ranting if you prefer

I've played quite a few games on my PT tank tonight and it's crazy how much better they are now. 20% self heal with shoulder cannon and redesigned kolto overload greatly increases survivability. Oil slick is now insanely good and very difficult to get out the radius is huge. Jet speed buff , HO, flame sweep slow, and grapple root make us very formidable huttball players now. IMO PT tanks are now competitive with jugg tanks even for RWZ . BW gave us everything we needed to be good in PVP. The only thing i don't like is the change to heat blast

Right now Juggs make great Huttball carriers, and reflect should help a ton to thin the herd of people beating on them. They make OK node guards, because they can just stay alive so long. From what I have seen on PTS, none of those things change, Juggs will still be good at that.

Tankasins are by far the best node guards right now. They live forever like Juggs but also have more CC options and stealth. They also make decent ball carriers with their force speed, but are even better at just stealth hiding in EZ waiting for a pass. I think their new ability just makes them better at both of those.

PT's I don't really know how they are as tanks, because with the insane damage pyro does, nobody ever bothers to spec anything else. Their new ability is an offensive one, not defensive or utility, so I can't really see them catching up there. So it would all be down to tree changes, they could make good PvP tanks now, but I have a hard time seeing them catch up and be better than the other two for tanking or utility.

I've played quite a few games on my PT tank tonight and it's crazy how much better they are now. 20% self heal with shoulder cannon and redesigned kolto overload greatly increases survivability. Oil slick is now insanely good and very difficult to get out the radius is huge. Jet speed buff , HO, flame sweep slow, and grapple root make us very formidable huttball players now. IMO PT tanks are now competitive with jugg tanks even for RWZ . BW gave us everything we needed to be good in PVP. The only thing i don't like is the change to heat blast

Put Heat Blast/Energy Blast back to a solid on use ability instead of feeling like retaliation/riposte and were golden probably. According to the devs their keeping an eye on it.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=602200

For guarding nodes, its still Tankassins, that's easy. Now between Juggs and PTs, both will be a "bit" better compared to each other for each WZ. In actually protecting your teammates, Juggs will still be better in PTs in that regard, especially with Sonic Wall. Although in terms of affecting the opposing team and/or slowing down DPS trying to focus on your healers, the PTs snares, roots and slows galore they got in their tree now is a huge boost that makes them extremely viable for RWZs. In Huttball, Intercede is really the only ability that gives Juggs a "slight" edge over PTs and with the PTs roots, snares, and slows they become superior in Voidstar. In the other 3 WZs for now it's a toss up which could be better.

What might put PTs over the edge is their ability to set up your teammates' AOEs by Jet Charging near a cluster of 2-3 enemies > Grappling another over > Oil Slick > Rocket Punch (Proc Ion Cylinder) > Rail Shot > Flame Sweep > Flamethrower (with Flame Engine Proc is bonus) > Flame Sweep. With that serious amount of slowing and snaring, you will become a Smashers BEST friend.

Edited by BanetheDarkLord

In my first night of PTS PvP, let me tell you that tank spec juggernauts are brutally tough to kill.

I'm not sure if its bug or intended, but I've never been force choked and ravaged by the same jugg at the same time until last night on PTS.

Juggs looks like they will still be better than PTs, push >>> pull, chiiling scream spam >> flame sweep spam.

But at least PT tanks aren't a distant 3rd any more.

Edited by anwg