Ok 940,000 U.S. Preorders, 105 U.S. Servers???

Shimy

This breaks down to 9852 players per server, and 2238 players per starting world. This is assuming everyone is logged in at once. Realistically even in times of great excitement like now only 33%-50% would be logged in. Based on these numbers is no reason why all 940,000 preorders should not have access on day one (13th). Thoughts?

This breaks down to 9852 players per server, and 2238 players per starting world. This is assuming everyone is logged in at once. Realistically even in times of great excitement like now only 33%-50% would be logged in. Based on these numbers is no reason why all 940,000 preorders should not have access on day one (13th). Thoughts?

agree, there is no reason ...

except that bioware says so

and since early access is a BONUS, not an entitlement, it doesnt bother me at all

Why do you think there are only 940,000 pre-orders?

Edited by Drewser

It's the safest way to insure that everyone has a reasonably lag free experience when they first start to play.

Letting everyone in at once is just begging for crashed servers and overloaded sign-in engines.

I've seen it plenty of times in other MMORPGs; I agree with Bioware's staggered early access.

My thought is that you have no idea what opening 105 servers simultaneously for close to a million people actually entails.

I will leave it at that.

can you imagine 2200 people on korriban at once. that should be all that needs to be said.

besides that we dont know how many digital sales there were, that number could be double.

bioware is doing this their way, dont like it dont play the game, but bioware told us upfront and they are following through with their plan. just the way it is sometimes.

Well maybe they are doing that because they have seen what 100+ people in 1 area at once will do to a server.

At 300+ people the lag becomes almost unbearable (see WSG in WoW when it first came into existence)

at 500+ people the server crashes

at 2200+ people the world explodes.

So yes, Bioware is trying to prevent the world from exploding.

Statistics show* that people who get into games earliest tend to use the larger character models. Similarly, starting zones tend to be smaller and have less area per character in the zone than do the later, large zones. Because of this, there is less room on any given world early in the game.

Therefore, they had to stagger access to allow these larger characters to get out of the starter zones and into the roomy zones, which allows more of the smaller characters to enter the game later on.

It is fairly simple.

* All supporting statistics come from the Bureau of Made Up Statistics.

Edited by Sotaudi

Well maybe they are doing that because they have seen what 100+ people in 1 area at once will do to a server.

At 300+ people the lag becomes almost unbearable (see WSG in WoW when it first came into existence)

at 500+ people the server crashes

at 2200+ people the world explodes.

So yes, Bioware is trying to prevent the world from exploding.

Ok, but what I want to know is what they intend to do when official launch date hits and you have hundreds of thousands (if not millions) trying to log in all at once?

Seems this is the perfect opportunity to determine if the servers can handle the sudden surge of players logging in. That way they have time to fix things come the 20th.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.