Golden Guide - Voidstar

Polymerize

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump.

I'm creating a little blog revolving around SWTOR to help my guilds as well as myself. Would it be OK if I reference and quote your guide? You will be credited off course.

Relevant side-question: would it also be OK if I link your YT vids as I see them fit?

I'm creating a little blog revolving around SWTOR to help my guilds as well as myself. Would it be OK if I reference and quote your guide? You will be credited off course.

Relevant side-question: would it also be OK if I link your YT vids as I see them fit?

I'm honored! For sure, man.

I don't need any 'credit' as my intentions, although I get side-tracked by the trolls, behind my constructive threads are to enhance the gameplay of the PvP community. Just trying to speed up the evolution process. :D

Cheers.

When you call for help on the doors, do you say left/right looking at the minimap? Because its kind of reversed depending on where you are :/

(Sorry for this "dumb" question)

Not a dumb question at all!

When I first started playing this game I used 'left' and 'right' because I assumed everything thought of those directions as being relevant to the spawning direction. People complained about it till my ears bled because I was the only person calling anything out, typically.

You want to go with the most universal, conventional terms. Such as 'east' and 'west' because no matter what is going on in the match, no matter your direction; 'east' and 'west' can always be determined by your map and it is universal to everyone.

I didn't like it at first but you can get used to it after playing for a bit. I associate 'east' and 'west' with particular sides to each map and not necessarily to the 'map' itself. I don't look at the map and say 'help east door' I just know which side is coined as what.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh voidstar. My least favorite map.

Most games on my server end with none of the doors being capped. The reason is simple: it is nearly impossible to wipe the other team.

Therefore, our strategy is quite simple: go for the most kills. This works most of the time. Using this strategy we only really lose to <don't panic> and that is mainly because they are using lvl 54 gear and we aren't (our GM doesn't let us queue if we are exploiting bolster). Due to the brute-force nature ofthis map, the extra damage from the 54 gear goes a very long way here.

For my guild, our biggest weakness is stacking up too much on defense. Luckily we tend to get away with it because of good cc/taunts/heals. It is our weakest map.

If we do get the first door, we are very good at kiting all the way to the final door. We tend to take the longest route possible to maximize distance between the capper (usually me rolling across the entire map) and the opposing team. So, if we cap the left side first, we go left > left bridge > right door 2 > 3rd barrier > right door. This is, of course, situational. If we have a large enough gap we take a shorter route.

Most games on my server end with none of the doors being capped.

I'm only a PUG, but I don't see *no* doors getting capped, but it is a rare match where both teams make it all the way. I don't know if this is intentional in the design that BW did, but I think it would make a much more exciting game if it were tuned so that both teams usually made it. That way it would really be a race against time. Just my 2 pennies. :D

I'm only a PUG, but I don't see *no* doors getting capped, but it is a rare match where both teams make it all the way. I don't know if this is intentional in the design that BW did, but I think it would make a much more exciting game if it were tuned so that both teams usually made it. That way it would really be a race against time. Just my 2 pennies. :D

I agree. My suggestion to the door problem is:

Reduce the cap time on bombs to 3 seconds, but require 3 bombs to be planted. This would place a lot more emphasis on defending the door and diffusing the bombs.

Reduce the cap time on bombs to 3 seconds, but require 3 bombs to be planted. This would place a lot more emphasis on defending the door and diffusing the bombs.

That's actually an interesting idea.

I don't know if defusing would be any more important - but you're more likely to get three 3-sec caps than one 8-sec cap (in my opinion). Would also add an element of knowing you had to defend/push the door with 2 caps on it, but that could leave you open to a 3-man ninja on the other (and make having more than one capping at the same time actually useful).

Edited by Wainamoinen

That's actually an interesting idea.

I don't know if defusing would be any more important - but you're more likely to get three 3-sec caps than one 8-sec cap (in my opinion). Would also add an element of knowing you had to defend/push the door with 2 caps on it, but that could leave you open to a 3-man ninja on the other (and make having more than one capping at the same time actually useful).

Well the idea is that you would have to plant all 3 bombs on the door, then once the third bomb is planted they all explode simultaneously.

So if you have one bomb on the door, diffuse is a medium priority, but if you have 2 of the three bombs on the door then diffusing is a high priority.

It also means that you can't just leave one guy on the weak side as a node guard, because a 3 second cap is too easy. This would mean you leave 2 guards on the weak side, making be strong side a 6v8, which would make wipes on the strong side possible.

That is a pretty interesting idea. I definately think there should be some changes. But as far as the map goes now, the Bastion streams that I have watched when VS has been the warzone there has pretty much just been a Zerg on one side. Not attacking both sides with some kind of tact.

Force the defending team to rotate giving you opportunity to stall their rotation, possibly force them to over rotate in which now you can stall and clog up the middle, pressure the weak side with an Assassin that has phase walk set on the strong side so he can force 1+ defenders to the weak side and CC them then phase walk back to the strong side, forcing a team to rotate makes it easier for you to do things like seperate their healer/tank combo by forcing LoS issues through a pull(or a double pull).

And you could 'plan' these extreme quick rotations just to make it a little bit harder on the defending team to react...even though you might not get a cap immediately it could possibly throw them out of wack enough for a cap down the road. Have a sorc run mid and allow for Juggs to intercede to him, throw a sorc pull on someone, marauder predation everyone else out.

Then at that point you have a bazillion moves to stall the other team- AoE sniper knock back/root, leg shot, AoE sorc knock back/root, enemy pulls, root grenades, etc etc etc . Then you have a lot of resolve left to fill with mezes and hard stuns

So it's obviously there is no fool-proof plan for VS but there are definately more intricate things that could be done than what I've seen on streams.

And just food for thought, if what I have mentioned doesn't get you the cap on the door; it still allows for a better opportunity to kill some mofo's. Especially when you force them to rotate mid and you pull out someone behind one of those big cases, or something of that nature.

Saturday morning ramble...hope some of it makes sense

Edited by Polymerize

I really like this idea!

It'd force more paying attention to the doors, and also inhibit teams with 3-4 stealth capables from constantly breaking up caps on respawn. Tough to CC what you can't see.

Even doing something like 2 4 second bombs, it'd keep things moving.less stagnant

Edited by islander

I really like this idea!

It'd force more paying attention to the doors, and also inhibit teams with 3-4 stealth capables from constantly breaking up caps on respawn. Tough to CC what you can't see.

More importantly it is difficult to take a stealther out of playing safety! (More doable since the sniper have amazing stealth vision now.)

More importantly it is difficult to take a stealther out of playing safety! (More doable since the sniper have amazing stealth vision now.)

This is true, but you also need the actual cc available. Too often pugging I find I've used my flash grenade previous to it typically trying to cover a previous attempt. plus often times if I see one more person coming to cap, I'll get up and stab him in the gut with my stun. I like this one, cause it means even bads can't wreck it by hitting him afterwards.

Again, pug life :eek:

Edited by islander

• 1 month later...