Golden Guide - Voidstar

Polymerize

Poly,

I don't think I've posted on these forums since the game launched, but after reading thru this guide and the comments I had to login just to say outstanding! I just recently started focusing on pvp in this game (casual player) and this guide is pure gold. So many other L33t pvps always state the importance of situational awareness and leave it at that. You break down HOW to keep that awareness and what to focus on. By far the best Voidstar guide on these forums. By far. Please keep fighting the good fight. Your expertise, and the time you take to share it, are not wasted. I am a better player after reading your guide and I really hope you continue updating it and making others.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poly,

I don't think I've posted on these forums since the game launched, but after reading thru this guide and the comments I had to login just to say outstanding! I just recently started focusing on pvp in this game (casual player) and this guide is pure gold. So many other L33t pvps always state the importance of situational awareness and leave it at that. You break down HOW to keep that awareness and what to focus on. By far the best Voidstar guide on these forums. By far. Please keep fighting the good fight. Your expertise, and the time you take to share it, are not wasted. I am a better player after reading your guide and I really hope you continue updating it and making others.

Nykoli, thank you for the kind words of praise. It makes me feel good :D to know that you benefited from this guide. I try to find people in game and in these forums who are willing to discuss intricate tactics/strategies/nontraditional compositions/etc, but those people are far and few between.

When this semester ends for me (~1 month); I'll be getting Fraps and will start making videos coupled with guides to go along with. I'm very limited as to what I can discuss and attempt to convey with just words; people need a visual.

Thanks again for taking the time to let me know you read and enjoyed my post. Means a lot to me, really. ;)

Edited by Polymerize

Nykoli, thank you for the kind words of praise. It makes me feel good :D to know that you benefited from this guide. I try to find people in game and in these forums who are willing to discuss intricate tactics/strategies/nontraditional compositions/etc, but those people are far and few between.

When this semester ends for me (~1 month); I'll be getting Fraps and will start making videos coupled with guides to go along with. I'm very limited as to what I can discuss and attempt to convey with just words; people need a visual.

Thanks again for taking the time to let me know you read and enjoyed my post. Means a lot to me, really. ;)

I'm always willing to discuss things, but I have no decent track records to validate my points, ie.: I don't play rated because I'm guildless so I also only PUG. Some classes I can give my opinion about, but I'm no min-maxer...

But again, I'm always open for discussion.

I'm always willing to discuss things, but I have no decent track records to validate my points, ie.: I don't play rated because I'm guildless so I also only PUG. Some classes I can give my opinion about, but I'm no min-maxer...

But again, I'm always open for discussion.

Hey Spoe. As soon as I get the classes part of this guide going I'll throw your post in... I know it is taking forever, lol. :eek:

Great post. I can tell you that my guild on shadowlands, considered the premier pvp guild on that server, uses this exact same methodology in our rated games. We dont always execute it perfectly, and I can tell you as our teams primary smash mara, it is very easy to tunnel vision, but we always strive to execute this strategy. Against good teams, there does come a point when the chances of getting a single door are extremely low, and at that point, kills and deaths do matter, as the team with the most kills wins the match.

I don't really see why people make things so unnecessarily complicated.

Voidstar can be summed up as 'if they're not here they're there'. If both teams undesrtands this and are roughly equally matched the score is going to end in 0-0. Even on the hardest door to defend (the first one), you need an absolutely brilliant simultaneous attack to break a determined defense which usually involves one guy putting on his awesome hat and taking out two players by himself. There are far more interesting meta game against a weak team, but you should always assume the enemy is good enough to hold you at the first door and be prepared to win the killing game in a 0-0.

I don't really see why people make things so unnecessarily complicated.

Voidstar can be summed up as 'if they're not here they're there'. If both teams undesrtands this and are roughly equally matched the score is going to end in 0-0. Even on the hardest door to defend (the first one), you need an absolutely brilliant simultaneous attack to break a determined defense which usually involves one guy putting on his awesome hat and taking out two players by himself. There are far more interesting meta game against a weak team, but you should always assume the enemy is good enough to hold you at the first door and be prepared to win the killing game in a 0-0.

I prefer - "If you're not outnumbered, you're probably in the wrong place."

I prefer - "If you're not outnumbered, you're probably in the wrong place."

That's a more eloquent way to put it, yeah.

Here's what I have observed of how the ability Scamper impacts this map.

Opening: Your node defender needs to drop down immediately (1 at each door). You do not have time to look at which way the enemy is going because in the time you're studying this, an Op can roll in stealth all the way to the door, and it is very hard to see him capping from the top, and even if you do there's always a possibility of the other side dropping a flash bang or similar CC on time to stop you. This means you're going to be slightly imbalanced on the defense, but you got no choice. Here, being the attacker first helps as you'll know by the time to defend whether you need to prepare for this. On the reverse, for attackers always have your Op rolled his way to the door in stealth if you don't see a guy drop down immediately, as this suggests they're still studying how you're moving your people and you might as well force them to commit immediately with the roll. If you're lucky you can cap outright.

If the enemy has Scamper, start crying after the doors down. Actually, have one person do /stuck because he's usually going to get to the bridge controls before you can possibly get there unless you have the same ability. This means if you died while the door is about to be blown up you shouldn't take your rez and wait until the door blows up, so that you respawn to defend the next door. On the second door, you've a very narrow time to catch up to the roller after it blows up, before the long straight path where the roller is going to take off like Sonic the Hedgehog and comfortably drop the furthest shield control before you can get there even if his team is offering no opposition whatsoever. Scamper is just too threatening as an ability that you're better off having your entire team commit mass suicide after the door is down than risking the roller will bomb the next door unopposed, though you really should agree ahead of time who is going to kill themselves on purpose when you see the enemy has this ability.

Edited by Astarica

That's a more eloquent way to put it, yeah.

Here's what I have observed of how the ability Scamper impacts this map.

Opening: Your node defender needs to drop down immediately (1 at each door). You do not have time to look at which way the enemy is going because in the time you're studying this, an Op can roll in stealth all the way to the door, and it is very hard to see him capping from the top, and even if you do there's always a possibility of the other side dropping a flash bang or similar CC on time to stop you. This means you're going to be slightly imbalanced on the defense, but you got no choice. Here, being the attacker first helps as you'll know by the time to defend whether you need to prepare for this. On the reverse, for attackers always have your Op rolled his way to the door in stealth if you don't see a guy drop down immediately, as this suggests they're still studying how you're moving your people and you might as well force them to commit immediately with the roll. If you're lucky you can cap outright.

If the enemy has Scamper, start crying after the doors down. Actually, have one person do /stuck because he's usually going to get to the bridge controls before you can possibly get there unless you have the same ability. This means if you died while the door is about to be blown up you shouldn't take your rez and wait until the door blows up, so that you respawn to defend the next door. On the second door, you've a very narrow time to catch up to the roller after it blows up, before the long straight path where the roller is going to take off like Sonic the Hedgehog and comfortably drop the furthest shield control before you can get there even if his team is offering no opposition whatsoever. Scamper is just too threatening as an ability that you're better off having your entire team commit mass suicide after the door is down than risking the roller will bomb the next door unopposed, though you really should agree ahead of time who is going to kill themselves on purpose when you see the enemy has this ability.

You're a tad too butthurt about this scamper ability. Sounds like you don't get sleep at night because of it...

You're a tad too butthurt about this scamper ability. Sounds like you don't get sleep at night because of it...

It's pretty hilarious you're advertising a Voidstar guide and yet you don't realize this ability single handedly wins Voidstar games.

It's pretty hilarious you're advertising a Voidstar guide and yet you don't realize this ability single handedly wins Voidstar games.

Lmao. That is funny. You see when this guide was wrote?

And even if I just wrote this yesterday, it wouldn't matter. You clearly think you're on to something that no one else is aware of, or something of that nature. Pretty hilarious.

I just realized that I received a warning for bumping this thread, about a week ago.

Are you SERIOUS? I will bump this thread until the end of time.

Hey Moderators.... how about you *sticky* worthy threads instead of handing out warnings for people keeping threads 'off of the first page'. That being said....

Bump.

I just realized that I received a warning for bumping this thread, about a week ago.

Are you SERIOUS? I will bump this thread until the end of time.

Hey Moderators.... how about you *sticky* worthy threads instead of handing out warnings for people keeping threads 'off of the first page'. That being said....

Bump.

one work around to the "no bump" rule is to include a link to the guide in our forum signature.

Here is a tip for something that just bit me in the rear. MAKE SURE YOU ARE OUT OF STEALTH WHEN CLICKNG THE FINAL TERMINAL!

I just did a heartbreaker at lunch. Defense first, and just got trounced. Offense time and we had 3 min 30 sec. I was able to stealth cap nearly every door. Some one else planted the final door with 28 seconds left. I stealthed over to the non-contested door with my finger hovering over force run. Got to the bottom of the ramp with 2 seconds left, clicked the terminal and thrust my fists in the air, only a nice red warning told me I could not click in stealth. Bzzzzz, game over before I could get my fingers back on the keyboard. Ouch.