Anyone Else Miss the "Good Old Days"?

Cleet_Xia

Back when a night of playing went something like this.....

1) round up a group of 4 friends - with NO augmented gear

2) warm up on a round of Dailies on Ilum or Belsavis to get purple mods from mission rewards

3) buy a Rakata implant if you had the comms saved up, or buy an armoring

4) go wipe 5 times trying to clear a HM none of you had ever completed

5) burn up all the credits from the warm up dailies repairing your gear

Nobody had a full set of purple level 51 mods in their gear when they started doing HM

Nobody went into a HM "cold" & the dailies honed their rotations, threat dumps, & interrupts.

DPS didn't dare break CC or pull a boss.

None of the bosses had been nerfed

Nobody knew how to skip half the bosses

If somebody got a columi drop that was actually for their class & spec we felt like partying.

& we block listed a hoard of ninjas over those dayum BMA's

2) warm up on a round of Dailies on Ilum or Belsavis to get purple mods from mission rewards

Nobody had a full set of purple level 51 mods in their gear when they started doing HM

Nobody went into a HM "cold" & the dailies honed their rotations, threat dumps, & interrupts.

If somebody got a columi drop that was actually for their class & spec we felt like partying.

I do, I remember when I was first gearing my Juggernaut tank. By that time the skipping of content hadn't become much of an issue....an I was able to enjoy the entire flashpoint (HM). Sigh, yes, yes I do miss the "good ol' days."

I miss the "non-augmented" era.

Before, you just had to earn your gear. Now you have to earn it, and augment it. Especially in PvP where you have to deal with gear level gap and Augments gap when you start at 50 with recruit. I have seen some people say "augment your recruit"... Each time I'm like "Huh, what ? You want people to spend 40-50K par augmentation kit for 10 pieces of gear which all of them will go to waste when you earn <insert purple gear name> ?"

But let be frank, it allow to make for the lack of stats in some case (like tank stuff with only ~50 Absorb rate)

Edited by Altheran

I miss the "non-augmented" era.

Before, you just had to earn your gear. Now you have to earn it, and augment it. Especially in PvP where you have to deal with gear level gap and Augments gap when you start at 50 with recruit. I have seen some people say "augment your recruit"... Each time I'm like "Huh, what ? You want people to spend 40-50K par augmentation kit for 10 pieces of gear which all of them will go to waste when you earn <insert purple gear name> ?"

But let be frank, it allow to make for the lack of stats in some case (like tank stuff with only ~50 Absorb rate)

Well the non-augment era ended before the augments and kits were craftable, the second they attached set bonus to armoring(which I liked since it allowed us to use social gear). However I agree that its a shame that we need to augment everything. It seems like it would be easier to just have straight gear.

Having to do the original Belsavis dailies was probably the worst experience I've ever had in this game. Gear was also a big problem in creating class imbalance myths that still persist to this day in that it was so poorly optimized for some classes. EV was so, so very bugged out at launch.

So no not really. The game has improved dramatically in the last year.

You'll get most of the 'good' parts of this back after the expansion when there's a higher tier of OPS and FP's out there. However only for a while, until everything is back on farm. It's the pretty standard cycle for MMO's haha.

I came here expecting talk of white or green lined mazes and text based combat. Son, you have no idea what the Good Ole Days really are.

:p

BJ

Just wait till RoTHC releases, then the fanbase will be divided into "vanilla" SWTOR fans, and neo-SWTOR fans.

I always miss the initial innocent bliss period of a game as well :(

I am one of the people who enjoyed wiping for 3+ hours in a HARD HM instance, with other undergeared friends. Do I want to experience that again? Well, no, I moved on to wiping in HM/NM raids. But yeah, good old days!

I felt nostalgic the other day and ran Esseles on my Level 11 smuggler, solo. Well, I turned 12 in there, and it became trivial (with 400 presence). But Corso and I wiped and few times before then. Yay!

To answer your question: No.

Same.

Do I miss the higher repair costs and the fact that not only was respecing only free once/week but that the cost went up each time? No.

Do I miss that the shuttle didn't allow you to go from Illum to Belsavis to Black Hole District directly? No.

I do miss there being more than 12 servers, but that's about it.

"Good old days" for me was when we fended off woolly mammoths with pointed sticks and fire was considered a gift from the sky gods.

You kids today are spoiled rotten! Ever seen a member of your family mauled by a saber tooth tiger? No? I thought so.

:eek:

Just wait till RoTHC releases, then the fanbase will be divided into "vanilla" SWTOR fans, and neo-SWTOR fans.

If changes are released as it is described in some website which bring "supposedly datamined" data (we can't even be sure these info are real since it is only relayed from some mysterious/unknown source and not their own miners), then count me in the first category.

I came here expecting talk of white or green lined mazes and text based combat. Son, you have no idea what the Good Ole Days really are.

:p

BJ

I'm right there with you - hence the " " around these "Good Old Days".....

But seriously, what inspired my Op is the 50 new threads in the last 2 days about repair costs. These players are screaming bloody murder ~ and I just don't understand how they are wiping that frequently in gear that would generate those kind of repair bills. If they're wiping that much on NiM content......well.......duh..... idealy it should be nearly impossible.

They cry that the HM content is too hard until it gets nerfed

Then they cry that the HM content is too easy

Now they're crying the the NiM content cost too many ingame credits to complete....

Business as usual I guess. I'm not going to say that the players who have subbed in the last 6 months don't know how to play. But the overall quality of player skill took a sharp dive after the 1.5 patch ~ and I blame all of that on people just not practicing enough before they start playing HM's.

BH comms/ gear, augments, skipping bosses, and nerfed bosses, let people play stupid and still believe that they know how to play their class.

I remember when everyone was more nervous about HM Esseles than they were about HM Kaon.

Edited by Cleet_Xia

i still wear my energized and exotech gloves and boots that i had to farm rakata enery nodes to craft to get to crit. for the augment... i crafted something like 20 boots and 15 gloves before they finally crit... then 1.3 came out the next week lol. prior to 1.3 this was the only way to get augmented boots and gloves, besides getting 60 or 70 valor and critting on the battlemaster oranges.

*clipped*

*clipped

Amen and nobody knew the fights, I wonder how many people miss out on end game content because of all the "Must be geared and know the fights" I have seem some groups/guilds offering to help and that are a lot more casual player friendly, I still haven't done a single hardmode or Ops despite having 7 50s because of all the horror stories I hear from other players about their experience.

I'm thinking I may start queing for some non-HM fps and get the hang of tanking/healing a group and see how it goes, I'd love to finally upgrade my tionese and would enjoy doing some FPs and Ops I haven't experienced.