The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

what PT spec is the most fun?

AceOfThrawns

Definitely depends on play style.

If you like doing damage, check out the Advanced Prototype and Pyrotech builds. If you like keeping the enemy busy while your friends / companions do most of the damage, Shield Spec is the way to go.

Based on my server, I get the most out of my Tanking Shield Spec. I can always find a group for the Heroic 4s in the dailies, and if I do any sort of Flashpoint or Heroic Flashpoint, I'm in the queue no longer than 2 seconds before there's one available. To me, constantly being in demand is fun.

AP is the most creative spec.

I run a no-dot no-railshot spec which is fairly solid. It's not a dps monster but it's very relentless and difficult (impossible?) to lock down.

I've had mine at 50 for 3 weeks now, I've tanked every HM FP with randoms now, geared in only dps gear and no shield. 1 shot it all except lorrick, took me a few tries to avoid all the crap. I'd never tanked before. Lots of dps but no tanking.

In PVP its an ultimate ball carrier and all-purpose utility spec.

I run a no-dot no-railshot spec which is fairly solid. It's not a dps monster but it's very relentless and difficult (impossible?) to lock down.

I've had mine at 50 for 3 weeks now, I've tanked every HM FP with randoms now, geared in only dps gear and no shield. 1 shot it all except lorrick, took me a few tries to avoid all the crap. I'd never tanked before. Lots of dps but no tanking.

can you link this spec pls

That's your healer carrying you trough the content then. In guild runs with great healers I've tanked even LI HM in pyrotech spec and gear, so it's 100% a question of whether your healer is geared and skilled enough to make up for your **** mitigation.

Please don't give people bad information. HM FP are very easy. Even LI can be tanked by a sniper. Yes, a sniper given he puts out the most damage to hold aggro. You have a big problem when you are a dps and say "I'm not a dps monster" Utility is great in pvp, but sacrificing lots of damage for a little utility is not what a dps should do.

Edited by bbare

I don't know about everyone else, but I have a ton of fun with pyro spec. Flame burst is kinda meh, but I do really love the laugh and the rail shot.

I confess though that I'm a bit of a numbers whore, and minmaxing the DPS on pyro is much more rewarding/effective than doing so on my sorc. I can "phone it in" on the pyro and put up as much as my sorc on my best days, but when I really put in the effort on pyro it actually shows. I just find fun in that I guess.

both damage are fun, havent tried shield in a while but it was alright for a vanguard at the start

AP is a bit more complicated to play imo. your movement is a lot more important and you have a few more options on what skills to use. still pretty bursty but well sustained. the buffed flamethrower is a nice situational.

pyro revolves around the rail shot. your rotation is standard, FB or incendiary to light, rail shot, FP/RP until laugh then rail shot, then try fill out while surving the next 6 without letting your heat get too high, maybe tag a few others with incendiary depending on situation and heat levels, but you move slower and get focused down more easily. you can put out big numbers, especially if you have good surge rating for those rail shots. the laughs are awesome.

imo, pyrotech has great potential, but needs a good team to carry it out. ap can go more beast mode solo and is a much better 1v1er.

Edited by therealeasy

Obviously it depends alot on what YOU find to be the most fun play-wise, in other words it's subjective.

Me myself foremost enjoy different kinds of hybrid specs - whats the most fun of those, well thats something that change from day to day.

What kind of play style do you enjoy the most - no matter class/game/role/etc?

Please don't give people bad information. HM FP are very easy. Even LI can be tanked by a sniper. Yes, a sniper given he puts out the most damage to hold aggro. You have a big problem when you are a dps and say "I'm not a dps monster" Utility is great in pvp, but sacrificing lots of damage for a little utility is not what a dps should do.

Jumping in waving your arms when you didn't read the thread title or the OP?

just like the title, and please FUN not "best"

sorry for the noobness, thanks all :D

Edited by Gyronamics

Obviously it depends alot on what YOU find to be the most fun play-wise, in other words it's subjective.

Me myself foremost enjoy different kinds of hybrid specs - whats the most fun of those, well thats something that change from day to day.

What kind of play style do you enjoy the most - no matter class/game/role/etc?

Right now I'm playing a shield spec, I sorta like watching enemies futile attempts to kill me :D. But I've heard that pyro does some pretty good burst, and I haven't heard anything about AP. I'll probably stick to shield spec though, cause all of my friends are dps.

TANK FTW:rak_03:

It's in the eye of the beholder, but I find AP and Shieldtech both loads of fun to play. AP is all about maneuvering and unleashing an 8k damage doing flamethrower on 3+ enemy players. Hydraulic overrides gives it a well needed mobility boost & escape tool.

Shieldtech is outperformed by pretty much every other spec in the game, but its loads of fun thanks to the mobility of the jet charge and bursty enough to even score some kills. What I miss from the spec are proper tools to protect my allies/hinder the enemy, and survivability. They really need to rework how defensive stats work in pvp.

With the upcoming Powertech changes I saw on Darthhater it looks like shieldtech will become a bit more viable in PvP, with a reliable AOE snare, an interesting dps boost through flamethrower talent, and some self-healing tools.

imo, pyrotech has great potential, but needs a good team to carry it out. ap can go more beast mode solo and is a much better 1v1er.

Little correction on this, AP is a better 1vs1er versus melee classes, specifically marauders and juggernauts. (Good assassins still wipe the floor with AP like they do with Pyrotech) and Snipers. However Pyrotech is a better 1vs1er versus other Powertechs, Sorcerers and any type of healer.

OMG I haven't heard talk of that spec sine I returned from my absence.

I had ultimatly reverted to Pyro, as it is the most powerful, but I definitly used to run NORSE (No Rail Shot e). Everyone on my server thought I was crazy... It was back when the snare on proto flame was broken for the vanguard and the stacks applied to every one of my AoEs, oh man those were the days! Popping mypower adrenal + relic and getting a Mortar Volley that was Unbelievable.

You know i had won many 4v1s in huttball with that spec, fighting and kiting with my AoE's near the health pack. ]

Thanks for the nostalgia!