R.A.W Season 1

Scorpiooooo

Hi everyone! I've updated the front page with the first round of the finals and rankings from the Round Robins.

Great work to all teams, looking forward to next week!

Just a quick recap - It's basically the same format as the AFL Finals series. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/AFL_finals_v2.png

So its using the same format as the NRL finals. Which should put Strike Team last and Wookie Leaks above them.

And in all fairness it would be better that way with teams playing different sides of the tournament against each other.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So its using the same format as the NRL finals. Which should put Strike Team last and Wookie Leaks above them.

And in all fairness it would be better that way with teams playing different sides of the tournament against each other.

It really doesn't matter who strike team plays.

To be honest that ladder is pretty silly, I mean Wookie leaks has to play Core 2 again which is just super unlucky, I think Wookie and strike team swap spots. So that way Wookie plays against Boss and Core 2 plays against Strike team.. thats only fair, seeing as how those teams did not get to play each other in the finals. Also the way this tournament has been designed it is likely That Some Guilds will not get to play each other which is really unfortunate.. I think this could have been designed a lot better. Speaking from Pandemic point of view. We would have liked the opportunity to play Legit, Core1, Boss, Strike team but by this design we will likely never play against at least 2 of those teams.. Dont get me wrong i really think this has been a fantastic tournament and cheers to you guys organizing this. I just think it would have been fun to play all the teams. and just the TOP 2 or TOP 4 in the finals.. but thats just my opinion. :)

I think Xavier has a point.

it really should have been modelled off the old NRL top 4 system. With only 8 teams in the comp its a bit silly to have it set up like this.

Once we get server merges and get 16 team in the comp (how awesome would that be) the current format would be perfect. Well anyway, I guess lessons for next time.

I still think Strike Team and Wookie Leaks should get swapped so at least they get to play different teams. It also mixes it up a little for Core(2) and BOSS - I am sure they would like to play someone different too.

I do see it as a shame for the bottom four teams not to be playing against new opponents.

At the end of the day, all we are aiming to do is keep it fair, and the structure we have here ensures that.

I would be more than happy to swap the bottom four teams matches so that Core(2) play Strike Team (5v7) and BOSS play Wookie Leaks (6v8) - but only if all four teams agree to it (by Midday Sunday).

Thanks all!

Edited by Scorpiooooo

Also how did you come up with that rankings? I think you need to have some real stats behind it because its not clear cut with W vs L.

edit:

and what is more confusing is why have you changed from Tournament/Cup platform to a ladder platform?

You ran it as "Groups" which means really, only the top 2 teams from each group should be progressing to any finals. You know like World Cup's etc.

It's getting a bit pear shaped to be honest. Either have a ladder comp, or a group tournament with a finals series. Not both.

Edited by Dacce

Strike Team placed higher because they lost to Boss 1-2 where as Wookie lost all gmaes 2-0.... Also why did Core 1 place higher then Ewok? all the other rankings makes sense based on win/loss ratio.. however both Core1 and Ewok won all their matches 2-0 I think its a bit silly to put Core 1 first because of their Reputation. Was their some logic behind this?

Core(1): 6 Wins, 0 Losses

Ewok'alypse Now: 6 Wins, 0 Losses

Legit: 4 Wins, 3 Losses

Pandemic: 4 Wins, 3 Losses

Core(2): 3 Wins, 4 Losses

BOSS: 3 Wins, 5 Losses

Strike Team: 1 Win, 6 Losses

Wookie Leaks: 0 Wins, 6 Losses

With both 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 tied we went in alphabetical order, wasn't based on any bias toward any team.

The two pool format kept the length of the series short. It meant that all the teams and us as organisers didn't have to commit more time than we were able to make this happen. It also gave us a ranking system wherein teams were able to actually have a crack for a few weeks before getting into the Elimination section. Last year when we did it once off, one of the biggest pieces of feedback was that teams didn't get a chance to play against anyone else, it was in and out straight away. This way, everyone at least gets a crack before the finals.

We could work out a percentage based ranking based on time played, medals per match and all of that - and I'd be happy to look at that for future series. But for now, this was the simplest approach.

I've personally gotten emails and messages and PM's since we announced this and I've taken everything on board to improve on a weekly basis, how we present this to everyone, how we cast it, how we structure and record it. This is new territory and both EsKy and I are loving it. So far all the feedback has been generally positive and constructive but it feels like it's getting a bit negative now.

Please keep in mind we are doing this for fun (and for free), for the community and more than anything to make it entertaining. Always happy to listen to feedback, but keep in mind no one has done this before and we need to take everything in our stride.

:rak_01:

I wasn't being negative about anything, I was just asking the question as it was all a bit confusing with the changes that happened.

also, one of my guildies suggested this site which you could use as a resource for setting up ladders etc. Just something to consider?

Edited by Dacce

I wasn't being negative about anything, I was just asking the question as it was all a bit confusing with the changes that happened.

Ok cool, no worries. May have just read the earlier posts with the wrong intonation.

also, one of my guildies suggested this site which you could use as a resource for setting up ladders etc. Just something to consider?

Thanks for that I'll go check it out!

Really do appreciate the feedback and anything you want to know about the comp or anything like that we're not like Bioware with the APAC situation, we try to respond and clarify ASAP!

:mon_trap:

im with obiray, this setup doesnt make much sense when there are only 8 teams, however with 16 it would be fantastic.

not complaining though, just making an observation. great work with the comp so far

one other thing, what happens if 2.0 is released before the 28th of March? :confused:

im with obiray, this setup doesnt make much sense when there are only 8 teams, however with 16 it would be fantastic.

not complaining though, just making an observation. great work with the comp so far

one other thing, what happens if 2.0 is released before the 28th of March? :confused:

da***? i didnt say anything... there is nothing wrong with the setup. everything is perfect, i dont know what everyone is whinging about.

i understand that we didnt get to verse everyone but no biggie, im sure he can make it better for season 2.

but as this structure goes... we are playing to see whos the top team so doesnt matter who you verse. if youre the best team you will make it to the finals.

EDIT: also scorpio has everyone paid there 1mil? should make sure they pay before they play next. i dont know if we paid, ill ask tonight

Edited by Obirayy

Great tournament so far, seems like everyone is having heaps of fun. Thanks for the games last night Legit, sorry about keeping you waiting with that ranked pop against the Imps.

As for the finals, I think a top six is worth considering for next season as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_six_play-offs

You could implement it very easily for a 2 pool tournament as well. For example, Core 1 and Ewok would go straight through to round 2. Then you would have 2nd from Pool 1 play 3rd from Pool 2 and vice versa, so Legit plays Core 2 and Pandemic plays Boss in round 1. Then the winners from those two play, and then the winner of that go on to play the loser of Core 1 and Ewok. Then the winner of that would go on to the grand final.

I'm not trying to be negative either, but I don't agree with all 8 teams making it through to the finals. A top 4 or top 6 would offer more incentive for teams to win their group stage matches, instead of just being used to rank the teams.

but I don't agree with all 8 teams making it through to the finals. A top 4 or top 6 would offer more incentive for teams to win their group stage matches, instead of just being used to rank the teams.

Shock horror, I actually agree with this, Strike Team and Wookie Leaks shouldn't have any chance to make it to the finals as they did the worst in the tournament. (No offence to these guilds.) It just seems silly, you should have just made it a knock out tourny like last time if that was the case.

I mean if you just did it to get a ladder, if you'd spoken to anyone from Core, Ewok, Moist, maybe boss, myself. I think you would have had a similar looking ladder the only two surprises for me come from Core 2 and Pandemic.

Edited by Antiskeptic

Shock horror, I actually agree with this, Strike Team and Wookie Leaks shouldn't have any chance to make it to the finals as they did the worst in the tournament. (No offence to these guilds.) It just seems silly, you should have just made it a knock out tourny like last time if that was the case.

As it was run as 2 groups - it should really now be a playoff series between the top 2 from each group. If it is run as a ladder from the start, the top 6 idea has some merit, as I mentioned earlier, I think changing the format of the competition mid way is a bit strange, and quite confusing.

As it was run as 2 groups - it should really now be a playoff series between the top 2 from each group. If it is run as a ladder from the start, the top 6 idea has some merit, as I mentioned earlier, I think changing the format of the competition mid way is a bit strange, and quite confusing.

It was always clear from the start that it was to get a ladder formed, but it was never clear [to me anyway] how many teams would participate in the play offs.

Yep, I was under the impression that the bottom team from each pool would not have a shot at winning, but more in a losing final type scenario? In this case we would play WL and that would be the last game we played. i would probably like to organise this game anyways if its not part of the finals and broadcast.

As is, im more then happy to play as many games as possible against whoever. If you want to restructure so we play Core 2, great. If not, we will prepare for BOSS again, our game is on monday I believe (i cannot attend mondays and therefore we will require a new healer).

I think some people are getting a bit confused and maybe you should fill in the TBD with potential match ups. The structure is fine, just a bit unfortunate that it has resulted in repeat matches as im sure the community would like to see something different. We would actually like the chance to repeat and hopefully do better tho.

any eta on our game upload mate?

Hey all,

Next go around we will take all this under advisement. Hopefully we get a merger and more teams competing!

Either way it should be good fun - Kaelus that sucks mate, sorry your going to miss the match.

Videos are now uploaded. I had to spend some time in the YouTube editor cutting out the 45 minutes of waiting from the first match up last night lol.

Game 3 -

Game 4 -

Match of the Week on its way...