Tionese Set Bonus counterproductive?

KhodaKat

I know the devs have put a lot of time and effort into giving us a wide variety of customizeable and in some cases adaptive armor.

Then when our characters get to 50, they give us 99 Tionese commendations that have set bonuses, and force us to either wear the (almost universally ugly) Tionese gear for the set bonus, or give up the bonus and wear the gear we prefer the looks of.?

This seems counterproductive to me.

Any chance of moving the Set Bonus for the Tionese stuff to the armoring or mods, like the Black Hole pieces? This would at least give us the option of keeping the appearance stuff we like...

I know the devs have put a lot of time and effort into giving us a wide variety of customizeable and in some cases adaptive armor.

Then when our characters get to 50, they give us 99 Tionese commendations that have set bonuses, and force us to either wear the (almost universally ugly) Tionese gear for the set bonus, or give up the bonus and wear the gear we prefer the looks of.?

Any chance of moving the Set Bonus for the Tionese stuff to the armoring or mods, like the Black Hole pieces? This would at least give us the option of keeping the appearance stuff we like...

No. It was a different design structure and its not going to change, according to bioware.

You will soon pass Tionese gear. Either pull the mods and put it in gear you like or wear Tionese gear. You can be out of Tionese gear in one or two weeks.

Tionese, columni and rakata are a relic of the early stages of the game when set bonus was locked to armor type. they could fix it with future content. which was campaign gear. Bioware then gave campaign armorings to blackhole in another patch enabling non-high end raiders to get the set bonus in their perfered armor.

long story short, as of the end game right now..

they expect you to use that to grind harm mode flashpoints and other sources of blackhole comms to get the campaign armorings to get the set bonus in your perfered gear type.

they expect you to use that to grind harm mode flashpoints and other sources of blackhole comms to get the campaign armorings to get the set bonus in your perfered gear type.

If you typed that on purpose, have my children.

On toast.

Depending on your class, you might also not miss too much from those set bonusses.

And there's 5 pieces, while the set bonusses require only 2 or 4 pieces. So start out with the most obvious:

1) Rip the mods out of the chestpiece and put them in you usual one.

2) Set headslot to hidden

3) Unify colors to chest!

4) Now decide whether that 4-piece bonus is really necessary or not. For some classes it is, for others it doesn't matter that much. If you don't need the 4-piece bonus, pick 2 more items from the set, rip out the mods, and put them into your own gear.

5) Repeat the same for the 2-piece bonus. If you feel you could do without, then rip out the mods of the remaining pieces and put them into your own gear.

Now do look careful while deciding whether to skip a setbonus! The Shadow Tank set for example, is a bit low on shield rating compared to what you should've had had before if you kept your gear optimal. So that 2-piece bonus is pretty important to bring it back up to where it should be. The 4-piece bonus on the other hand is an extra. It won't affect your rotations or threat capabilities, and while it does give a nice survivability bonus you don't get anywhere else, you can ask yourself whether you really need that extra or not for the content you plan to do with it.

Save up Black hole comms for Campaign armorings, get custom armor: Profit

Rip the mods out of the Tionese set and stick it in the armour of your choice - it's cheaper than grinding.

I can't tell if you're being serious here.

The point of the OP is exactly that if you do this, you LOSE the set bonus on the Tionese, making the set bonus useless...

Edited by Midgen

Note: The only bonus worth having on the Tionese is the 3 piece bonus. So wear three pieces of Tionese and pull the rest of the mods out to put in your favored gear. You can still get a pretty good look if you're just wearing the Boots, Gloves and Pants. Just pop on the Chest piece you like and color match. Voila!

:cool:

Save up Black hole comms for Campaign armorings, get custom armor: Profit

This is fine, and that is obviously what I will do.

That this is not a trivial task. At least not for me, and the entire time I'm doing this, I'm doing it in ugly armor while the cool adaptive stuff I bought or farmed, is now rotting in my bags.

The whole point of adaptive armor is that I can customize my character. The dev and art teams put a lot of work into implementing this, only to force us to stash it when we get our free Tionese gear...

Edited by Midgen

Note: The only bonus worth having on the Tionese is the 3 piece bonus. So wear three pieces of Tionese and pull the rest of the mods out to put in your favored gear. You can still get a pretty good look if you're just wearing the Boots, Gloves and Pants. Just pop on the Chest piece you like and color match. Voila!

There is a three piece bonus? What class'/advance class' gear are you referring to?

This is fine, and that is obviously what I will do.

My point is, that this is not a trivial task. At least not for me, and the entire time I'm doing this, I'm doign it in ugly armor while the cool adaptive stuff I bought or farmed, is now rotting in my bags.

The whole point of adaptive armor is that I can customize my character. The dev and art teams put a lot of work into implementing this, only to force us to stash it when we get our free Tionese gear...

Well, unfortunately when the devs originally designed end game gear they were assuming everyone would love the designs they made. When they discovered the players were more excited about customization they changed tracks and all end game gear since has had the bonuses attached to the mods, instead of the armor. Unfortunately they also said that because of the way they were made they could not rework the first 2 tiers to work like that. So, that's why we have this.

The best you can do is work around it as best you can (like I suggested above) until you can get the upper tiers of end game gear.

There is a three piece bonus? What class'/advance class' gear are you referring to?

Well, the ones I have had Tionese for so far are Agent (Sniper) and Warrior (Juggernaut), but to my understanding there are two set bonuses for all Tionese. One is for wearing 3 pieces, the other is for wearing 4. Is this not the case with yours?

Edited by Blackavaar

Well, the ones I have had Tionese for so far are Agent (Sniper) and Warrior (Juggernaut), but to my understanding there are two set bonuses for all Tionese. One is for wearing 3 pieces, the other is for wearing 4. Is this not the case with yours?

It's usually 2 pieces and 4 pieces. At least it's been that way on most of my characters, but I haven't bothered to check for my Agent and Warrior.

I think you miss the point that those 99 Tionese commendations are free. FREE!

As several poster have said the set bonus is for 2 and 4 pieces so you can rip out the mods from the chest piece and put those in your adaptive armour to keep the best part of your look. Hide the headpiece if the helm is horrible (more for the sith inquisitor set ;) )

And then aim to get the campaign armourings as quickly as possible.

Nope, all of mine have 2 piece bonus and 4 piece bonus (including the Agent I'm looking at right now)

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I know you all mean well and just want to help.

I know how to get gear upgrades.

I'm just trying to make the point that the free tionese gear is forcing out of the orange/adaptive armor from the cartel market and social gear.

Hopefully I don't see how it would be terribly difficult to change. Remove the set bonus from the Tionese gear and create a new set of Armorings that are slot specific and have a the set bonus on them.

They've already demonstrated they can and will do this.

i'm just hoping they'll extend the effort to include Tionese.

I would like to add that not all set bonuses are really worth troubling yourself over not having. The marauder/sentinel 4 piece is fairly horrendous, for example. Then again some classes like assassins/guards completely rely on their 4pc so there's that too.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I know you all mean well and just want to help.

I'm just trying to make the point that the free tionese gear is forcing out of the orange/adaptive armor from the cartel market and social gear.

Hopefully I don't see how it would be terribly difficult to change. Remove the set bonus from the Tionese gear and create a new set of Armorings that are slot specific and have a the set bonus on them.

Dude.. just put the tionese gear on a companion, equip your recruit gear, and start running Warzones. You can easily get a new piece of gear every 1-2 days if you're doing the daily and weekly quest, and you're really going to want some solid PVP gear for the next patch.

WH > RAKATA, nuff said.

I know what you mean! My suggestion, just do what I did.

I said "Screw it! I paid real money for the look I want to fit this character! I'm not giving it up!" Then I ripped out the mods from Tionese, put them into my pieces and went on from there.

We dont even know if we'll need all that BH gear for Makeb, and Makeb might give better gear than BH as drops.

Well I think Tionese / Columi / Rakata should stay as they are, because they may come in handy in some situations. Imagine if we get a new grade of "black hole" gear for new commendations. The gear doesn't have set bonus, because you get sets only from raid. Well you could put those "new black hole" mods into tionese / rakata / columi and have BIS, till you get set armorings from new raids.

From what I've seen you still have the problem with belts/bracers even though they don't contribute to set bonuses. Some CM sets sell belts/bracers but from what I've seen even the Black Hole/Campaign belt/bracers aren't orange shells you can rip the mods from. In that regard I'd like to see them add schematics for crafters. Crafted armor wouldn't get a set bonus (so you still have to grind for that) but it would allow people to wear all of the armor pieces they like.

That point was made and discussed to infinity and beyond about eight or nine months ago when Explosive Conflict(and therefore Black Hole/Campaign-gear) came out.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back at the beginning you couldn't even rip out the armorings of Tionese/Columi/Rakata-gear because it was locked.

There was a thread about this in the PTS-forums back then that had hundreds of pages of discussion about this. They refused to change it back then, they won't change it now.