The Scrapper's Handbook: A PvP Guide

ktkenshinx

Forgive the noob question, but what is the easiest way to get the 2 pieces of PVE gear for the backblast bonus. Is that only from Operations?

There is no such thing as noob questions! Only noob answers (and I will try not to give one)

There are really two ways to get the PvE bonus for Backblast.

1) Use Tionese shells and EWH Bracer/Belt Armorings

The PvE set-bonus for the PvE Gear is tied to the SHELL ITSELF, not the armorings.

The PvP set-bonus for the PvP Gear is tied to the armorings, not the shell, with TWO EXCEPTIONS: EWH Bracer and Belt. These items have armoring that is NOT tied to any specific set bonus and, most importantly, does not need to fit into a certain item slot (i.e. head, feet, chest, etc.).

If you strip out the EWH Bracer/Belt armorings and stick them in the Tionese shells, you will keep the PvE Backblast bonus and still have the +50 expertise armorings.

2) Use any shells and Campaign Enforcer's Armorings

Another option, as Hallowed talked about, is to use Campaign Enforcer's Armorings in any item shell. In this case, the PvE bonus (+15% BB Crit) is tied to the PvE armoring itself. These armorings are slot specific, as in, for just head, chest, feet, legs, and gloves. But it means you can have any shells that you want, plug in the appropriate Campaign Enforcer armoring, and now have the PvE set bonus.

Hope it helps!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Miyke, Hallow, Habdl and Ilmarinen for the helpful replies. I’m approaching 50 and almost have my comms maxed, so I am trying to figure out my plan of action for spending them when I ding to give myself the best starting advantage possible. I have come up with 3 options that spend all 7250 comms.

Option #1 (2 piece PVE)

2x EWH Bracers – 2500 ranked comms

2x WH Bracer – 1100 (Need these to buy the EWH, correct?)

WH MH – 1550

WH OH – 1550

WH Relic – 550

I would put the EWH Bracers armoring and mod into the Tionese Head and Chest. I would buy the Recruit gear for the other slots.

This would give me the 2 piece PVE bonus, WH weapons and 1123 Expertise.

Option #2 (2 piece PVP and 2 piece PVE)

WH Ear – 625

WH Implant x2 – 1250

WH Bracers – 550

WH Relic x2 – 1100

WH MH – 1550

WH Gloves – 875

WH Legs – 975

WH Boots – 875

Wearing Tionese Head and Chest

This would give me both 2 piece bonuses, WH MH and 1061 Expertise.

Option #3 (No set bonuses)

WH MH – 1550

WH OH – 1550

WH Ear – 625

WH Implant x2 – 1250

WH Bracers – 550

WH Relic x2 – 1100

WH Belt – 625

This would give me the WH weapons and 1185 Expertise.

Right now I am leaning towards Opt #2 and following that up with the next step of saving for the WH Head and Chest to put those mods into the Tionese Head and Chest shells. Then the WH OH and Belt to complete my WH gear. Then min/maxing that from the advice of Hallow’s Concealment Op guide and doing dailies/weekly to get Campaign Enforcer Head and Chest Armorings so I can customize my look . Any additional tips/advice appreciated!

Edited by Mel_the_Jedi

Thank you Miyke, Hallow, Habdl and Ilmarinen for the helpful replies. I’m approaching 50 and almost have my comms maxed, so I am trying to figure out my plan of action for spending them when I ding to give myself the best starting advantage possible. I have come up with 3 options that spend all 7250 comms.

<snip>

Option #3 (No set bonuses)

WH MH – 1550

WH OH – 1550

WH Ear – 625

WH Implant x2 – 1250

WH Bracers – 550

WH Relic x2 – 1100

WH Belt – 625

This would give me the WH weapons and 1185 Expertise.

Right now I am leaning towards Opt #2 and following that up with the next step of saving for the WH Head and Chest to put those mods into the Tionese Head and Chest shells. Then the WH OH and Belt to complete my WH gear. Then min/maxing that from the advice of Hallow’s Concealment Op guide and doing dailies/weekly to get Campaign Enforcer Head and Chest Armorings so I can customize my look . Any additional tips/advice appreciated!

I think that I would be leaning towards Option 3 instead of 1 and 2. Although all of the options have their merits, Option 3 is probably going to give you the most bang for your buck in the early days of 50 WZs. It balances survivability (highest expertise, healing, endurance, armor, and shield probe absorption of the 3 options) with damage (highest cunning and expertise). To me, this makes it the clear winner.

Let me walk through my reasoning:

1. Highest Expertise (1185)

Because our survivability is just naturally so bad, the early weeks of 50 WZs can be pure hell. Well-geared Pyrotechs, Sins, and even Snipers will regularly hit you for 5-6k. Smashers will be hitting for 6-7k. You will die a lot, and the most important priority is increasing your survivability. Of course, expertise also boosts your damage, so you will not be totally irrelevant.

2. Best armor/cunning/endurance

You are going to get the best raw stat bonuses from Option 3, which is going to help both your survivability and your damage output. The extra cunning is particularly important because it increases both crit and damage, not to mention benefiting from the 9% bonus talent. It also increases Shield Probe absorption by some amount, which further helps survivability.

3. Best base damage

Between the extra cunning, expertise, and the barrels of your MH and OH weapons, your base damage will be highest in Option 3. Although you won't have the awesome 60-65% crit from the BB, you can quickly build up to that with a few wins under your belt. Having high base damage is important because it keeps your damage consistent throughout the WZ.

Some people might argue that fresh Scrappers should start with damage and forget survivability. This is an extremely risky strategy and basically assumes you will be playing against easy targets (Sorcs and Snipers and Mercs) or just bad opponents. But if you are playing on a server with lots of geared teams and premades, you realistically are going to run into a lot of opponents who will try and kill you. The difference between 14k HP and 1050 Expertise and 16-17k HP and 1180 Expertise is enormous. That's 2-3 extra GCDs of life, not to mention better heals and damage output.

Option 3 is a gear package that gives you the ability to stick around big fights without fear of getting focused, as well as participating in 2 man raids on the side nodes (even 1 man if you can see an under-geared target). As said earlier, it balances survivability (highest expertise, healing, endurance, armor, and shield probe absorption of the 3 options) with damage (highest cunning and expertise). To me, this makes it the clear winner.

Edited by ktkenshinx

I think that I would be leaning towards Option 3 instead of 1 and 2. Although all of the options have their merits, Option 3 is probably going to give you the most bang for your buck in the early days of 50 WZs. It balances survivability (highest expertise, healing, endurance, armor, and shield probe absorption of the 3 options) with damage (highest cunning and expertise). To me, this makes it the clear winner.

Let me walk through my reasoning...

Actually, when you break it down like that it does make more sense. I think I was putting too much emphasis on trying to get set bonuses but I guess it doesn't matter how high my BB crit is if it is critting for piddly damage and I am not living long enough to get off more that one per life, haha.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to write up these detailed responses. I really appreciate it! :)

As a note for those following the thread, I finished all of the Warzone Tactics section. The guide is now officially "done". Of course, there is always room for edits and additions, but at least in this early form, it is complete and ready for reading.

Thanks all for the suggestions, ideas, and views!

I love your guide, it helps me alot after beeing away since pre 1.2.

My Battlemaster-Armor becomes useless, so i calculated the cost for this Setup, when i extract all the Mods/Armorings etc. from Elite-PvP Armor.

It would cost 17325 WC & 39400 RWC or with trade from WC to RWC it would be 135525 WC... happy farming! :eek:

This is a truly excellent guide, and I am impressed by the effort you put in.

Only one thing stuck out to me: Scoundrels should get all the Cunning, Endurance AND Aim datacrons, because Aim improves some tech stats.

re-read your tool tips. Aim for Operatives/scrapper on gives ranged dmg, not tech. meaning the pew pew rifle, and overload shot..

re-read your tool tips. Aim for Operatives/scrapper on gives ranged dmg, not tech. meaning the pew pew rifle, and overload shot..

I stand corrected. Still, it provides a benefit, whereas Willpower and Strength datacrons offer absolutely no benefit.

OP, i'd be interested to see what your keybinds are like. I feel like im less efficient in WZ's because my skills are binded all over the place. Its hard to keep track of everything.

A lot of it is just personal preference, but there are some general guidelines I like to follow.

First, because Sabotage Charge is such an important part of our arsenal, we need to be able to use it and the "Take Cover" command quickly and efficiently. I bind these two right next to eachother: Shift+F for Cover and Shift+G for Charge. This lets me rapidly drop to cover and place probe without wasting too much time.

I also like to keep all my healing abilities in the same cluster of keys. For me, Shift+E, R, and T are all different healing abilities used in different situations. Shift+E is my Cleanse (more on that in a second). Shift+R is my Emergency Medpac. Shift+T is my Diagnostic Scan (when I need to heal but can't waste energy, which happens quite a lot).

As a final note for now, I also like to cluster abilities that need to be used quickly and in rapid response to an opponent's actions. For example, against Snipers you need to be able to cleanse your root and throw a grenade as quickly as possible. My grenade is bound to E so whenever I get knocked back I don't have far to go to reflexively toss out my Thermal. My cleanse is bound to Shift+E so it is a) close to my movement keys and b) still in my healing cluster.

Alright thanks a lot. I'm going to try some things out after work. Where do you bind all of your of your opening moves/melee moves?

As ktkenshinx said, it's personal preference really, whatever works for you. But there are a couple of things to keep in mind when setting them up.

Main is: keep hand-movement to a minimum. The further you have to reach, the longer it takes, the greater chance you miss-click in a hurry. If you have some combination of W/S/Q/A/E/D as your movement keys (only need 4: fowards/back and strafe left/right - some would say remove back, but it comes in useful on occasion), then attacks are usually on the number keys with your main ones closest on 1 - 4, and your other oft-used abilities on other nearby keys.

I use shift and sometimes ctrl to double-up keys with other abilites, but this makes them a bit harder to activate. I tend to use related or similar abilities on the modifier (T for Stealth, Shift-T for Disapperaing Act. This also means I don't blow Disappearing Act by accidentally missing a key - sausage fingers syndrome).

It takes a little bit of self-training to get used to them, but it's the only way to play efficiently (also using a mouse with more keys is probably a little better again, though not as much of a jump). Plenty of people who solely click abilities with the mouse say they can do as well in PvP as they would with keybinds. They are wrong. They'd be better with keybinds if they made the effort to use them.

Of course, If you were a PT you'd only need 1 for Flame Burst, 2 for Rail Shot and move with mouse. As a scrapper I have 30 or more keybound.

I want to thank the OP for sharing this excellent guide.

After leveling 7 classes to 50 I have quickly fell in love with the Scrapper Scoundrel such an underrated, under appreciated spec but in the right hands can be a game changer. My new main :)

PTS FORUM HAS THE 2.0 PATCH NOTES.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=600569

Smuggler

New Ability Highlights

• Scoundrel: A new ability, Scamper, has been added. Scamper will roll the the player forward up to 12 meters. When slowed, players will only roll forward 6 meters. While rolling, defense is increased. Scamper does not break stealth, costs 25 Energy, has no cooldown, and is trainable at level 51.
  • Scondrel: A new passive ability, Street Tough, has been added which increases Energy regeneration rate.

General

• Using cover while jumping will now issue an appropriate error message.
  • Sabotage Charge now costs 25 Energy and deals slightly more damage.
  • Vital Shot now costs 16 Energy.
  • Dodge now removes all hostile effects without requiring Lucky Dodge.
  • Headshot has been removed from the game.
  • Cheap Shot has been removed from the game

Alacrity has been redesigned to be a more universally useful stat. Now Alacrity reduces the activation time of all abilities, including instant abilities. If such an ability is reduced below the global cooldown, the global cooldown is reduced as well. Alacrity now also increases resource regeneration for all classes by the same amount that it increases ability activation speed.

• A new ability, Scamper, has been added. Scamper will roll the the player forward up to 12 meters. When slowed, players will only roll forward 6 meters. While rolling, defense is increased. Scamper does not break stealth, costs 25 Energy, has no cooldown, and is trainable at level 51.
  • A new passive ability, Street Tough, has been added which increases Energy regeneration rate.
  • Lucky Dodge has been removed from the game. This effect is now incorporated into Dodge by default.
  • Blaster Volley is now trainable at level 12.
  • Kolto Pack has been redesigned. This ability now heals for a moderate amount up front in addition to a moderate amount over 9 seconds.
  • Pugnacity is now trainable at level 16 and has been redesigned. This ability no longer requires and consumes Upper Hand. Instead, this ability now has a 2-minute cooldown, grants Upper Hand, and increases alacrity for a short duration.
  • Upper Hand now causes the character to giggle the first time it is applied if Upper Hand is not already active.
  • Diagnostic Scan is now trainable at level 18.
  • Smuggle can now only be activated while Stealth is active. Additionally, Smuggled group members can now use Sneak and Blackout.
  • Smuggle now provides a visual effect that shows the stealth field projected around the Scoundrel.
  • Smuggle now reduces movement speed by 15% (down from 30%)

Plus these relevant bits that will absolutely affect Scrappers:

General

• Personal shield generators are now effective against all attacks that deal Energy and Kinetic Damage, rather than just direct weapon attacks.

Set Bonuses

• All set bonuses are now stored exclusively on Armoring mods instead of equipment shells. Players will now be able to transfer set bonuses shells between equipment shells by simply moving the Armoring mod. The rules are as follows:

Scoundrel (DPS)

• Field Tech's Gear 2pc PVE: Increases Back Blast critical chance by 15.

And general PvP changes that are relevant to all us PvPers

PvP

• PvP-based equipment at level 20 and 40 has been removed.
  • Players can now exchange 40 Warzone Commendations for a Planetary Commendation at the PvP Items vendor.

Warzones

• Bolster is now based on item rating rather than character level. Recruit-level gear is no longer available, as players will be automatically bolstered to this level of item power if they do not meet it naturally.
  • Players will now be separated into three level brackets for normal Warzone play: 10 – 29, 30 – 54, and level 55. Ranked Warzones now requires level 55.

COMMENTS PENDING

ALSO PENDING: An analysis of how the OTHER class changes are going to affect our matchups.

Edited by ktkenshinx

Before I get into the skill tree, here are the new skills that we get with their numbers. Using Operative names because my Scrapper didn't get copied over.

Preparedness

Passive

Increases energy regeneration rate by 1 per second

Exfiltrate

Energy: 25

Cooldown: 0

Roll forward 12 meters. When slowed, you only roll forward 6 meters. While rolling, your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks is increased by 30%. Does not break stealth. Cannot be used while immobilized.

Stim Boosts

Cooldown: 2 minutes

Inject yourself with a specially-engineered Imperial stim, immediately granting TA and boosting Alacrity by 10% for 15 seconds. Does not break stealth.

Kolto Infusion

Energy: 25

CD: 9 seconds

Range: 30 meters

Activation: 2 seconds (by comparison, Injection activation is 2.5 on this character)

Executes your TA to heal the target immediately for 1285-1730 followed by 2334 over 9 seconds. Requires and consumes TA. (by comparison, Injection heals for 2717-3162 on this character, and Kolto Probe heals for 2179 over 18 seconds).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the skill tree changes to Operatives. Names will be changed for Scrappers.

CONCEALMENT TREE

Tier 1

• Concealed Attacks: Unchanged
  • Imperial Brew: 0/3 - Increases ranged and tech accuracy by 1/2/3%. Additionally, increases the damage dealt by Corrosive Dart by 6/12/18% and Acid Blade by 3/6/9%.
  • Survival Training: Unchanged

Tier 2

• Infiltrator: Unchanged
  • Surgical Strikes: 0/1 - Increases the damage dealt by Shiv, Overload Shot, and Backstab by 4%
  • Inclement Conditioning: Unchanged
  • Scouting: Unchanged (New icon)

Tier 3

• Flanking: 0/2 - Reduces the energy cost of Backstab by 5/10.
  • Laceration: Unchanged
  • Collateral Strike: 0/2 - Laceration has a 35/70% chance to trigger Collateral Strike, dealing 560 additional kinetic damage. Standard and weak enemies are additionally stunned by Collateral Strike [Laceration can now proc multiple times every 10 seconds!!!! Awesome, but mitigated by a later change]
  • Revitalizers: NO LONGER IN TIER 3

Tier 4

• Pin Down: Unchanged
  • Tactical Opportunity: 0/2 - Collateral Strike has a 50/100% chance to immediately regrant TA when hitting a poisoned target. This effect cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds [10 second limitation moved from Collateral Strike to this talent]
  • Sneal: Unchanged

Tier 5

• Waylay: Unchanged
  • Advanced Cloaking: Unchanged
  • Culling: 0/2 - Increases damage dealt by Laceration and Collateral Strike 2/4%. In addition, when Collateral Strike damages a target, you recover 5/10 energy.
  • Revitalizers: 0/2 - Stim Boost now additionally rants Revitalizers, restoring 2/4% of total health every 3 seconds for the duration.

Tier 6

• Meticulously Kept Blades: Unchanged
  • Jarring Strike: Unchanged

Tier 7

• Calculated Frenzy: 0/3 - Backstab and Hidden Strike have a 33/66/100% chance to trigger Calculated Frenzy, which increases Alacrity by 2/4/6% for 15 seconds.
  • Shadow Operative Elite: 0/2 - Increases your effective stealth level by 1/2. In addition, whenever you active Exfiltrate [the roll], you have a 25/50% chance to trigger Evasion for 1 second. This effect cannot occur more than once every 15 seconds. Also reduces the energy cost of Exfiltrate by 2/4.

Tier 8

• Acid Blade: Unchanged, but the buff stays on until used.

LETHALITY TREE

(NOTE: Not doing the whole thing: Just the first two tiers)

Tier 1

• Deadly Directive: 0/2 - Increases Alacrity by 1/2%
  • Lethality: Unchanged
  • Hit and Run: Striking a target with Shiv grants Hit and Run, increasing your move speed by 25/50% for 2 seconds.
  • Razor Edge: REMOVED

Tier 3

• Slip Away: 0/2 - Reduces the cooldown of Debilitate by 7.5/15 seconds.
  • Other talents: Unchanged

Edited by ktkenshinx

Scrappers/Concealment get about 8 percent alacrity purely from talents, but our self healing is nerfed with that 45 secs with 2 minute cd.

While not much, it still was free healing.

18% alacrity with stim boost.

Love scamper BTW. wish they would remove the ghost healing debuff thing. Scamper makes it obsolete.

Scrappers/Concealment get about 8 percent alacrity purely from talents, but our self healing is nerfed with that 45 secs with 2 minute cd.

While not much, it still was free healing.

I'm not sure where you got that 45 sec, I'm pretty sure it's 15 sec.