Former SWG/Tarquinas players check-in thread

Tyndaleon

Even though (like has been said) world pvp seems to be non existent, I have always hated the idea of playing on PvE servers..no matter what the game is/was. I suppose I would transfer to a PvE server if thats where everyone seemed to go. But I would still prefer PvP.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though (like has been said) world pvp seems to be non existent, I have always hated the idea of playing on PvE servers..no matter what the game is/was. I suppose I would transfer to a PvE server if thats where everyone seemed to go. But I would still prefer PvP.

The only reason I stopped playing on them was I got tired of being on lopsided servers ( and when we left Shattered Hand in WoW it was like 80% horde) and I knew these would be from the get go.

I also get tired of being griefed over and over by the same douchebag stealth dude that will never fight and always runs like a ***** if its even remotely close to a fair fight while I'm trying to get dailies done, or whatever it may be.

If someone ever came out with a PvP server where you couldn't have level 50's strolling around killing level 25's I might be more inclined to do it again. As it stands now, when server pops get way out of hand the amount of low level griefing seems to skyrocket, and its usually pretty bad to begin with.

The only reason I stopped playing on them was I got tired of being on lopsided servers ( and when we left Shattered Hand in WoW it was like 80% horde) and I knew these would be from the get go.

I also get tired of being griefed over and over by the same douchebag stealth dude that will never fight and always runs like a ***** if its even remotely close to a fair fight while I'm trying to get dailies done, or whatever it may be.

If someone ever came out with a PvP server where you couldn't have level 50's strolling around killing level 25's I might be more inclined to do it again. As it stands now, when server pops get way out of hand the amount of low level griefing seems to skyrocket, and its usually pretty bad to begin with.

I rarely experienced that in SW:TOR though. Although I guess my first character wasn't Republic. It happened to me a little bit as an Imperial - on my first character which obviously had higher populations on all servers. Mostly whenever two friends leveled together. I couldn't handle two of them. Occasionally I'd see a 50 trolling. Honestly, people who troll at 50 are failures because among the productive/useful things to do as a 50, griefing the other side is pretty low on that list.

Did it ever occur to you that you could go do a different mission and come back and do that one later? It's what I did the rare occasions I was outnumbered by Republics that didn't leave me alone. Or you could just do a warzone.

Unless you're just someone who has to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, without exception. Then I guess you have to hide on a PvE server.

Edited by islander

we're still on a pvp server, to hell with the carebear servers everyone else went to - Terentatek

I rarely experienced that in SW:TOR though. Although I guess my first character wasn't Republic. It happened to me a little bit as an Imperial - on my first character which obviously had higher populations on all servers. Mostly whenever two friends leveled together. I couldn't handle two of them. Occasionally I'd see a 50 trolling. Honestly, people who troll at 50 are failures because among the productive/useful things to do as a 50, griefing the other side is pretty low on that list.

Did it ever occur to you that you could go do a different mission and come back and do that one later? It's what I did the rare occasions I was outnumbered by Republics that didn't leave me alone. Or you could just do a warzone.

Unless you're just someone who has to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, without exception. Then I guess you have to hide on a PvE server.

Oh in WoW I used to do that all the time, I never stayed in one zone too long. However with this game its insanely linear so its much harder to do. I haven't really seen the level 50's in this game rolling around yet, that was more to do with what I've seen in other games. TBH its gotta be a PITA to even try to do with all the road blocks and guards they put everywhere.

I guess for me it really boils down to this, if I gotta try that dang hard to even find world PvP why not just roll on a PvE server and do BG's. In WoW PvP servers were actual PvP servers, in SWTOR I'm not really even sure you call them PvP servers. TBH population wise I think they would of been far better off just making one type, there isn't that much difference atm anyways.

we're still on a pvp server, to hell with the carebear servers everyone else went to - Terentatek

Terentatek is just a big a wasteland as Kinrath Spider, honestly.

I still feel as though people who call pvE servers in TOR carebear are simply wrong. These are the same people who spend all their lives in warzones being "uber PvPers" you know, not doing a damn thing in open world.

Oh, and 'open world' being Ilum, a place that exists on PvE servers all the same. No difference, automatic flagging.

Fact is, the PvP server stigma is all but gone in this particular game. That's probably to Bioware'sblame. They kept areas much too seperated, especially at higher levels.

Trill is correct in this aspect. I see these "PvP" servers for what they are - meaningless.

Population for me is what matters most, and why I'm somewhat concerned about Ajunta Pall personally as it's a West Coast server and as such, gets much more active around 10-11pm my time, which somewhere along the way is a time I need to start going to bed at. Ajunta is fantastic if you are a late playing east coaster, on par with anything else. It's still light years better then Kinrath, Terentatek, or any of about 50-75 servers on the list even at 8pm. I'll probably end up there after it's all said and done.

Still weeks to decide though. I'll personally do a more thorough population analysis when it comes closer to the time. It just seems like the 'heavy' population servers are more west coast then east coast.

Edited by islander

Well I'm guessing with the announcement of Ranked Warzones not being included in 1.2 that many PvP servers will become even more desolate. Feels pretty shady too that they wait til just a few hours before it was supposed to go live to announce it.

Well I'm guessing with the announcement of Ranked Warzones not being included in 1.2 that many PvP servers will become even more desolate. Feels pretty shady too that they wait til just a few hours before it was supposed to go live to announce it.

Are you *********** serious? I didnt know they announced that. Well my account is cancelled and wont be renewed. Unbelievable.

Yep. This had to be EA's doing. Bait and switch. This is a classic bait and switch. All the people who resubbed in the past day (which, to be fair, can't be but so many!) just got hooked like a bass.

They HAD to know, when they made the announcement Tuesday, that Ranked Warzones weren't ready. Why? Because Stephen Reid just said it might be 1.3 before they are fully ready now

If i were just resubbing, I'd be irate.

Edited by islander

Are you *********** serious? I didnt know they announced that. Well my account is cancelled and wont be renewed. Unbelievable.

What Afto said, and also they are basically saying it needed more testing. I don't disagree with that when you shove it on a PTS and don't have a way to create max level characters instantly. They look even more stupid by saying " having an NPC that auto 50's wouldn't solve anything". Really I don't care much about PvP and all of this makes me want to stab them.

SOE may have some competition at the bottom if this crap keeps up.

There's a reason EA was voted worst corporation in America

http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012.html

Actually, a lot of them.

Look, I'm not a Bioware coder.

It's possible, although extermely unlikely, that someone found a dealbreaking code problem in the 24 hours between the announcement of 1.2 and the removal of ranked warzones.

It's far more likely that EA is doing what EA has always done. They havent been that fun little company of 20 years ago for a long, long time.

I'm still here to stay. My main gripe is my mostly dead server. I'll be happier in a few weeks when I can transfer to some place with more people who still enjoy the game for what it is. There were still hundreds of thousands of people playing this game regularly. They are just too spread out over 170 servers these days.

Edited by islander

So far I've found little reason in this patch to stick with it, at least stick with it over newer games coming out or even going back to older ones.

This Legacy system is a joke. Here grind out all this XP to unlock this slightly useful thing, just so you spend the cash you make actually being able to use the ability.

Lord I had hoped in 10 years time MMO's would start coming up with systems that were something more than mindless grinds. This Legacy system isn't even a creative grind, its just a big ole sign saying " blow your time here and pay us for it".

At least the Jedi grind was worth it, this is almost laughable. In fact content wise nothing they added isn't a grind except maybe the instances ( which are parts of a grind too lol ).

I may just be getting too old for this **** to be fun anymore.

I'll deal with any 1.2 disappointment now (if any) while I play for free the next month :)

Yeah its just something for me to do late at night when the wife is in bed anyways for me.

On a secondary note, the idea of only giving free time to those with level 50's may be the biggest cluster**** I've ever seen. Who in gods name thought that was a brilliant idea?

Edited by Armourboy

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have turned our Guild over to Khelhorn. We aren't imploding or anything ( actually we are growing) RL is just really getting in the way. The chances I do have to log in are mainly after 2am and thats just not good as a GM. So I thought it best if we had someone in control during prime time hours.

I will still be around as much as I can but if things keep going the way they are that won't be much.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have turned our Guild over to Khelhorn. We aren't imploding or anything ( actually we are growing) RL is just really getting in the way. The chances I do have to log in are mainly after 2am and thats just not good as a GM. So I thought it best if we had someone in control during prime time hours.

I will still be around as much as I can but if things keep going the way they are that won't be much.

On that tangent, I'm actually GM of Path of Destruction now, not that it matters much.

PoD is just in a state of stasis right now. Server, like about 30 others, is pretty dead. It's a good thing I like PvP because at least there is queueing for that. I'm still playing, on almost every night. Mostly enjoying things. It's just weird to see only 6-10 people online though. Glad for the people who are sticking it out with me though.

Early word is Australia transfers have executed pretty smoothly. Still ongoing, but I've read a couple fo redditors over there who said they didn't have issues. Hopefully this continues and Bioware has the guts in place for a system that can get more of us moved in a few weeks.

On that tangent, I'm actually GM of Path of Destruction now, not that it matters much.

PoD is just in a state of stasis right now. Server, like about 30 others, is pretty dead. It's a good thing I like PvP because at least there is queueing for that. I'm still playing, on almost every night. Mostly enjoying things. It's just weird to see only 6-10 people online though. Glad for the people who are sticking it out with me though.

Early word is Australia transfers have executed pretty smoothly. Still ongoing, but I've read a couple fo redditors over there who said they didn't have issues. Hopefully this continues and Bioware has the guts in place for a system that can get more of us moved in a few weeks.

Canderous just kills me, or maybe its the game, either one it sucks. The server has lots of people on it, seen it hit two instances on the fleet during primetime ( and thats on the republic side) but once midnight hits its like the game just stops. Its really frustrating as a late night player to try and do anything other than stuff that can be solo'd. Very few instance runs, almost impossible to get the new heroic 4 done for the weekly, hell the one time I actually decided to try and PvP I sat in the queue for nearly an hour and said screw it. I thought it might just be the Republic side so I hoped on my Imp toon, nope exactly the same.

I'm going to cancel my sub tonight. I've got 52 days left so if they manage to get a LFD tool put in by then I'll reup and keep rolling, if not I'm heading elsewhere. I think by the time its up The Secret World may be out anyways.

I predict the Secret World will be a broken piece of junk within 30 days of live. I've looked into it. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Every combat based sandbox that claims freedom will prove out to be anything but. People won't put up with OP'd classes like they did years ago.

Same with TERA, Tera's awful.

Seems to me your problem is you don't play East Coast hours. Perhaps when character transfers go into play, you look into a west coast server. You're on one of the best servers in the game for action between 8 and 11pm.

Maybe look at Jedi Covenant (or is it Harbinger?) PvE CO equivilants down the line.

Also, nice to see we're the only two holding this thread out. Tarq never dies, just gets reborn :)

Edited by islander

I predict the Secret World will be a broken piece of junk within 30 days of live. I've looked into it. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Every combat based sandbox that claims freedom will prove out to be anything but. People won't put up with OP'd classes like they did years ago.

Same with TERA, Tera's awful.

Seems to me your problem is you don't play East Coast hours. Perhaps when character transfers go into play, you look into a west coast server. You're on one of the best servers in the game for action between 8 and 11pm.

Maybe look at Jedi Covenant (or is it Harbinger?) PvE CO equivilants down the line.

Also, nice to see we're the only two holding this thread out. Tarq never dies, just gets reborn :)

There are no classes in the game and no levels, if something is OP every single player in the game will be able to play it without needing to reroll. Its also will be nice to not need 5 billion toons to be able to do everything, you can learn it all on one. I don't trust Funcom any further than I can throw them, but from a gameplay stand point, if I could put up with SOE for 3 years I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Its also going to be a very niche game, so I don't see the massive cryfest ensuing on it like you see on most big titles. It will also be refreshing to play a game that isn't a freaking WoW clone for once. Heck I'm considering going back to WoW, because why pay to play a half finished clone of a game thats already finished.? In the end I may just drop MMO's for a while if I can find enough stuff to do late at night.

TBH I think this is a good game, the problem is 1.2 is how the game should of been released, and we should have already gotten a LFD tool, Ranked Warzones, and several other systems that are considered standards for a mondern MMO. They said they had all of those things pretty much ready to go quickly after launch, I wouldn't exactly call it quickly.

Keep in mind I didn't play SWG because I was a StarWars fan, I became a StarWars fan because of SWG. The StarWars part has already lost the coolness factor 3 months in. I got my LS and Blaster fix and I'm tired of leveling alts so meh. Also I'm not sure swapping servers will help, I've heard even on West Coast servers it dries up by about 11-12 pm ( which is only about 1-2 am here). Thats better but still doesn't fix the problem, and it still doesn't solve the problem that everyone I know or have gotten to know I'll need to leave behind.

BTW, how did you end up GM? Everyone quit or did they restart on another server?

Edited by Armourboy

Blackpool quit, I was second in line. I still believe in the game. It's the population numbers that are agonizing/frustrating. We had a bunch of people from Tarq basically "use" PoD as a means to recruit people for their own mini-guild which they couldn't get started on their own, so they eventually split off (stealingsome of our people)and offered end-game PvE stuff which we just don't do.

Even when we had 40 people online, we'd almost never get a guild PvE raid going (outside of these people who formed their own clique/guild from the start - they used their own timers on themselves and no one else)

PvP isn't bad, it's just really hard for the typical person and you can see that from the forum whining in the PvP forum. People coming from smash 4-8 button WoW are completely and utterly overwhelmed in TOR. A sentinel or marauder has to deal with upwards of 20-25 skills you could use in a warzone over the course of about 3 minutes. It's overwhelming compared to my first char, a sorc healer, which uses, I dunno, maybe 12 or so.

Of course, he quit/his sub ran out days before the free 30 days kicked in. He's kicking around WoW for now, but is trying to get into the GW2 beta. He tried Tera and like I predicted, didn't last but a few days before he saw it for what it was.

Edited by islander

Blackpool quit, I was second in line. I still believe in the game. It's the population numbers that are agonizing/frustrating. We had a bunch of people from Tarq basically "use" PoD as a means to recruit people for their own mini-guild which they couldn't get started on their own, so they eventually split off (stealingsome of our people)and offered end-game PvE stuff which we just don't do.

Even when we had 40 people online, we'd almost never get a guild PvE raid going (outside of these people who formed their own clique/guild from the start - they used their own timers on themselves and no one else)

PvP isn't bad, it's just really hard for the typical person and you can see that from the forum whining in the PvP forum. People coming from smash 4-8 button WoW are completely and utterly overwhelmed in TOR. A sentinel or marauder has to deal with upwards of 20-25 skills you could use in a warzone over the course of about 3 minutes. It's overwhelming compared to my first char, a sorc healer, which uses, I dunno, maybe 12 or so.

Of course, he quit/his sub ran out days before the free 30 days kicked in. He's kicking around WoW for now, but is trying to get into the GW2 beta. He tried Tera and like I predicted, didn't last but a few days before he saw it for what it was.

Meh I think the major problem with PvP is that the gear entry makes it frustrating to get into. I know I was gonna start messing with it, but to talking around to different people and all of them told me to make sure I at least had the blue set to start with. They also advised me not to start on a level 50 toon, especially being I was a healer, because it would get frustrating quick. Apparently the Imps on our server are very good at singling out healers and killing them quick.

I personally can't blame anyone for cancelling and either trying something else out or heading back to WoW. Someone sent me a Scroll of Resurection the other day so I used it lastnight. As a DPS I logged in and had a group in less than 2 minutes, it was definately nice.

I think the problem is, just like every other new MMO people go in telling themselves they can over look things, I know I did. For the most part I have, but I must admit that the leveling to endgame switch is very lackluster. You are leveling and its awesome, it feels very different from a questing stand point. You feel immersed, you get this feeling that your character actually has some meaning. Then you hit 50, it all stops and you are back to dailies, instance runs, and PvP. Don't get me wrong, I knew it was probably going to be that, I just didn't think the transition would be so abrupt, its something they really need to work on imo.

I was also disappointed with the new daily area. No new story really, just click on a terminal and collect them and turn them in. It works, but it definately gives it a feel of, here this should tie you over.

I also think many of us keep looking for the social game we had back when we played games like SWG, and I'm sad to say I think that is something from a different era that we will never see again. What people play MMO's for now has fundamentally changed from 10 years ago, and I guess I'm included in that as well.

I have also been playing WoW (with about 8 RL friends) now for a couple weeks. Since I havent played in a year, there is a lot for me to do. This game just let me down in so many ways that its not even worth complaining about anymore. Such a shame.

Gear entry is a non factor into PvP now.

You can literally start with 70% of the max expertise as a fresh 50 by simply buying the recruit set. Recruit set is like 900 expertise, costs like 300k or so.

I semi PvP leveled Aftokratorikos and had enough stuff after tonight (4 days as a 50) to literally have 1100 expertise.

Full war hero is like 200 points more.

The real problem I see at 50 is idiots not using expertise. They'll go "look at that guy with only 13k health haha n00b) and I'm like yeah, and I have 1050 exprtise, and your stupid *** has 2k health more, but only 400-500 expertise.

Gear entry is a non factor into PvP now.

You can literally start with 70% of the max expertise as a fresh 50 by simply buying the recruit set. Recruit set is like 900 expertise, costs like 300k or so.

I semi PvP leveled Aftokratorikos and had enough stuff after tonight (4 days as a 50) to literally have 1100 expertise.

Full war hero is like 200 points more.

The real problem I see at 50 is idiots not using expertise. They'll go "look at that guy with only 13k health haha n00b) and I'm like yeah, and I have 1050 exprtise, and your stupid *** has 2k health more, but only 400-500 expertise.

Meh it is when your broke lol. What cash I did have all got sunk into the guild, and I had stopped making any prior to the patch because I didn't see much need for more. Didn't think I was gonna needs a crap ton of credits to get anything out of the legacy system because I thought we could either unlock it by grinding or pay for it. As much as I check the forums I got blind sided by it, didn't know that had changed. Also didn't realize the first bank slot was gonna cost 600k, which pissed me off beyond belief. Here start a guild, and the one thing worth having is a credit sink right off the bat.

You know I don't even blame BioWare, just like every gaming company that crawls into bed with EA they end up getting screwed. Game would have been so much better off if it was being released in the 1.2 state.

Meh it is when your broke lol. What cash I did have all got sunk into the guild, and I had stopped making any prior to the patch because I didn't see much need for more. Didn't think I was gonna needs a crap ton of credits to get anything out of the legacy system because I thought we could either unlock it by grinding or pay for it. As much as I check the forums I got blind sided by it, didn't know that had changed. Also didn't realize the first bank slot was gonna cost 600k, which pissed me off beyond belief. Here start a guild, and the one thing worth having is a credit sink right off the bat.

You know I don't even blame BioWare, just like every gaming company that crawls into bed with EA they end up getting screwed. Game would have been so much better off if it was being released in the 1.2 state.

I agree with the guild bank bit. I still haven't activated it. Havent had a ton of clamoring for it, and we don't PvE raid currently.

It really is easy to make credits in the game, it just takes time. I always do the Ilum dailies on both characters every day- even if it means I barely PvP cause I'm only playing 2 hours a given night.

You can crank out the 5 solo dailies on Ilum in 20-25 minutes. Some specs can solo the Poisonous Strat (I can't, on either character sadly). If you get all 8 comms on Ilum (3 from the heroic), you can pull 80k credits easy without any extra killing.

Belsavis can go quickly too if you get a good rotation going, but it's still less money/minute and I'd really rather be PvPing more. I'll just do some of those as I wait for PvP queues. I generally clear about 150-250k a night depending on how long I play.

I don't bother much with the market and running missions for things to sell, simply because my server's population is so low it's not really worth the trouble.

Edited by islander