Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Can't seem to break 5K HiB hit as Assault Vanguard

iamef

Stats (rakata reflex stim, no buffs): 1800 Aim, 29.09 Crit Chance (321 rating), 72.93 Crit Multiplier (213 surge), 677 Power, 1339 Expertise... I'm full up the Assault Tree as far as Plasma Cell and HiB talents go. Also have 2 pts in Focused Impact (40% penetration), 2 in brutal impact (6% HiB damage increase), and 3 in Steely Resolve (+9% Aim).

I did make a decision to take a point out of Focused Impact and put it in Steely Resolve instead. This dropped HiB armor penetration from 60% to 40%, but, I am still getting 30% penetration as well from High Friction Bolts talent. I thought the + 3% Aim overall better than the armor penetration.

Anyway, I am constantly hitting for 3500 - 4500, but the elusive 5K mark seems to only come vs a very poorly geared player. I always make sure a burn is applied to target first. I can't help myself but mention(and this is not a troll / smash complainer thread, but a help with HiB thread, I'm just mentioning this as my point of reference) that even in heavy armor (4989 rating), I am regularly hit for 5500 to 6000K+ Smashes. Is this just where HiB damage is now? Should I pull some crit or aim and put it in power or surge? Have I gimped myself by losing that last 20% armor penetration in favor of additional aim? Thanks.

You can lose some expertise and stack some more Aim/power, over 1300 is overkill. Easy swap is expertise crystals for power. You could also swap the armorings from your belt and bracers for PvE aim ones. Edited by Domatron

I did make a decision to take a point out of Focused Impact and put it in Steely Resolve instead. This dropped HiB armor penetration from 60% to 40%, but, I am still getting 30% penetration as well from High Friction Bolts talent. I thought the + 3% Aim overall better than the armor penetration.

why did you do this? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

ps, stack moar powah

1250 expertise is plenty.

Make your bracers and belt 63 armorings with the 72 aim and then use a PVP power mod (the high power one)

Then put power crystals both in your main and and offhand.

use the eliminator set bonus (15% more crit to high impact bolt)

if your PvPing w/o TD your foolish... pvp is all about bust and that ability makes you one of if not the most bursty class in the game.

He asked how to get 5k railshots lol. and that spec seems to give me more damage then when I run TD.

in Rateds with another PT usually things are dead so fast TD is a waste IMO. personal preference... but since this guy is probably talking about regs he probably should just use TD

Edited by Jakev-

Drop expertise to approx 1200 and you can afford to drop crit and accuracy as well. Play around with it but I believe my accuracy and crit rating by itself is below 200 for both atm. (and I'm not done) But my aim is near 1500 and power is approx 1200-1300 I believe. Buffed and stimmed my tech bonus damage is approx 950 and you should be worried about that more than rail shot. Better bang for the buck.... take a look at how much white vs yellow damage you're doing.

You're already squishy... why bother worrying about expertise and damage reduction, plus you get a better damage increase by dropping expertise for power. In competitive PvP your damage will out weigh your survivability if you have competent tanks and healers.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

You can also use 4 piece PvE shells for another 8% damage on HiB, if you are that desperate to get big numbers.

has anyone run with this? I was debating the same strat (I have plenty of BH comms laying around) and I would still be fine to loose 200 expertise....seems like the 2 piece and 4 piece bonus is better on the pve gear.

Simply stated is the reduced cooldown on battle focus (increasing crit percent more often) and 8% boost to HiB/rail shot damage better than the 2 set dps pvp (which half of the bonus (unless I'm completely off base "Determination or Tenacity by 15 seconds.")) doesn't even work for vanguard/ptech) and 4 set +15% crit chance?

has anyone run with this? I was debating the same strat (I have plenty of BH comms laying around) and I would still be fine to loose 200 expertise....seems like the 2 piece and 4 piece bonus is better on the pve gear.

Simply stated is the reduced cooldown on battle focus (increasing crit percent more often) and 8% boost to HiB/rail shot damage better than the 2 set dps pvp (which half of the bonus (unless I'm completely off base "Determination or Tenacity by 15 seconds.")) doesn't even work for vanguard/ptech) and 4 set +15% crit chance?

A number of PT's use this... personally I like the crit chance bonus because I drop my crit rating so low in exchange for power and the only white damage I care about is rail shot, so it increases my chances to crit without having much crit.

And yes the 2 set bonus is worthless for PT's.

A number of PT's use this... personally I like the crit chance bonus because I drop my crit rating so low in exchange for power and the only white damage I care about is rail shot, so it increases my chances to crit without having much crit.

And yes the 2 set bonus is worthless for PT's.

ty for the reply...i was just thinking that I HiB way more than shock strike, so the 8% boost would be better....now if the bonus were extra %15 crit DAMAGE vs CHANCE then it wouldn't be much of a discussion.

ty for the reply...i was just thinking that I HiB way more than shock strike, so the 8% boost would be better....now if the bonus were extra %15 crit DAMAGE vs CHANCE then it wouldn't be much of a discussion.

It's def give a little to get a little and you can go either way and get about the same effect. Personally I'm learning as I'm playing around with gear that my rail shot damage is secondary to all tech damage. Most of a PT's damage is NOT coming from rail shot and rail shot should NOT be the focus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to the OP...

To sacrifice a ton of tech damage just to get a 5k rail shot doesn't make much sense when the only ranged (white) damage is rail shot and rapid shots.

Yellow damage or Tech damage

- Thermal detonator

- Explosive dart

- Rocket punch

- Death from above

- Flame burst

White damage or Ranged damage

- Rail shot

- Rapid shots

So for anyone unsure... this is what I've recently come to realize. Where do you think you should focus your stats around? White or yellow damage? ;)

Edited by UGLYMRJ

you are using the wrong set bonus if you are talking about the stockstrike 15% crit with the combat tech... , Switch to the war hero eliminator set bonus for 15% crit chance to HiB.

Edited by Jakev-

you are using the wrong set bonus if you are talking about the stockstrike 15% crit with the combat tech... , Switch to the war hero eliminator set bonus for 15% crit chance to HiB.

Originally he was talking about the 8% damage increase to rail shot through the PvE gear set bonus. I know a number of PT's that use this vs the 15% crit chance.

(which half of the bonus (unless I'm completely off base "Determination or Tenacity by 15 seconds.")) doesn't even work for vanguard/ptech) and 4 set +15% crit chance?

Thats in the combat tech WH Set bonus. (Which actually does work for vanguard/ptech I believe.. since its your CC break)

Unless I read that wrong.. I think he is using the combat tech set bonus instead of the eliminator.. also because he mentioned that he uses HiB(railshot) more than Stockstrike(rocketpunch) The eliminator 2pc setbonus is useless though for vanguard/ptech because it reduces the cooldown to the merc/commando only knockback

Edited by Jakev-

8% boost to HiB/rail shot damage better than the 2 set dps pvp (which half of the bonus (unless I'm completely off base "Determination or Tenacity by 15 seconds.")) doesn't even work for vanguard/ptech) and 4 set +15% crit chance?

This is what I was referring to.

The 8% damage increase is from the PvE set bonus.

He bounced back and forth but originally was talking about that bonus vs the eliminator set.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.