Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Not likely, no. Unless they're some right *** who thinks it's all easy. It would be funny as all hell to see some over-confident, swaggering macho-man take it, and suddenly get all the crushing stigma and mixed-messages aimed at women, along with all the anti-trans and transmisogynist crap come pouring down. Hahaha.

I am a cruel person, but I realise this and am better for it.

(No I'm not.)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah those don't make sense ¬_¬ tbh I didn't the whole list.

Gender identity is something studied in scholastic and academic circles, so it might not be something that's "set" yet.

AND OH MY GOD NEW COMPANIONS

http://dulfy.net/2013/11/14/swtor-galactic-starfighter-companions-and-crew-guide/

Maybe we'll get romances with them?

"There are eight new companions introduced with Galactic Starfighter. They are specifically for the Galactic Starfighter portion of the game and does not appear in rest of the game. They will fit the five crew spots by default. This allow players without companions (i.e. new characters) to play Galactic Starfighter without being at a disadvantage."

Set 'em and forget 'em GSF crew, who simply get shuffled for passive bonuses and maybe the co-pilot will spout reaction lines to battles. That's how I'm reading it.

(Inner Pedantic: Should be 'don't appear', not 'does not'.)

(Scratch that, misread part of it.)

I get the feeling they'll give little lines, like the starter companions do during Space Combat now. "Phew, close one!" and so on.

Dulfy's bit about "not appearing in-game" isn't a good sign for much else.

Edited by Palar

The link says they can be co-pilots in the section where it shows what positions all the current companions can fill. I think if they were going to give us a bunch of new unvoiced companions it would have made more sense to completely skip that and just have customizeable pieces of ship armour to fill the roles instead.

Because it takes all of five minutes to do so and brings a lot more depth and interest to the characters?

Considering that story content is supposedly so expensive and time consuming to make because writing takes a long time to do (so we've been told), I'm surprised.

Also, interest? Yeah, I was interested. For five minutes before being told you won't a) ever see them and b) ever interact with them.

What, they just randomly turn up on your ship because Darth Marr told you? And you never speak them once? They might as well be droids. They could be doing *********** anything in my engine room.

They're not doing anything in my "engine" room and that's the problem.

What, they just randomly turn up on your ship because Darth Marr told you? And you never speak them once? They might as well be droids. They could be doing *********** anything in my engine room.

Now that would be a fun scene, if they just show up unannounced... my Smuggler and BH are both pretty paranoid, and would flush the bodies out the air-lock somewhere in the Outer Rim. My Consular still has the Rift Alliance onboard, 6 companions, the ship droid and an unhinged hologram - four randoms taking up more space and food will just drive him around the bend. (Luckily, head-canon says his only pet is a Gizka.)

Ah well, they can sleep in the storage space with his speeder collection.

Yeah, there are no beds for these extra companions and most characters would just outright kill them for magically appearing. Unless they turn up in your docking bay with a note from Darth Marr? But that would require Bioware to animate a scene - wouldn't that go against their "PvP only" label for the expansion?

Is story content PvE only? I don't PvP, but I've never heard any mention of it to PvP. Would PvP'ers get angry if the companions had story lines and conversations? Would that be "putting PvE in [their] PvP expansion?

:confused:

Why can't Bioware just talk to us? FOR ONCE D:<

Did you read the quote from the Chicago Manual of Style in that entry?

It pretty much says that while 'they' is accepted in casual/informal contexts, it is still grammatically incorrect in formal writing.

Read the following and tell me this isn't confusing or awkward in parts (and I've done my best to be as clear as possible).

Alex, Rachel, and Jess found themselves standing outside the bar. The bouncer glared at them, and Alex decided it would be best if they moved away a little, so they walked away down the street, while Rachel and Jess followed them.

I'm not a native speaker so I don't really know how "they" actually sounds as neutral pronoun. I don't have a problem using it and I understand it when it's used.

IMO, the most awkward thing in that paragraph is the narrator, the writer not knowing Alex's gender.

Yes, "they" as neutral can be confusing. It definitely will be if you purposely make it so.

If I wanted to, I could write (in spanish at least :p ) something that is perfectly correct from a grammar standpoint and still be confusing. I bet you could write incredibly confusing grammatically correct stuff as well.

For me, "they", "their" beats "s/he", "him/her", "his/her" everytime. As for being correct or incorrect, well, time will tell. Languages evolve and change constantly.

For me, "they", "their" beats "s/he", "him/her", "his/her" everytime. As for being correct or incorrect, well, time will tell. Languages evolve and change constantly.

S/he doesn't make any sense because it assumes that the individual in question is either a man or a woman - when you're dealing with someone who might be agender or bigender, or any other gender, trying to describe them within the rigid and incorrect binary gender system is at once disingenuous and insulting, not to mention incorrect.

Not to mention, his/her is just generally clumsier than "their". But binary gender bollocks anyway.

According to the data-mining on Reddit, it's just their Codex entries.

Data-mining was also saying a couple months ago that they were adding new class story content, which seems a little unlikely anytime soon. They've been wrong before, it's probably best to just wait and see.

S/he doesn't make any sense because it assumes that the individual in question is either a man or a woman - when you're dealing with someone who might be agender or bigender, or any other gender, trying to describe them within the rigid and incorrect binary gender system is at once disingenuous and insulting, not to mention incorrect.

Not to mention, his/her is just generally clumsier than "their". But binary gender bollocks anyway.

I have to say, I'm so happy that in Finnish language, we have only one word for she and he. ^^ So these kind of problems don't exist.

I have legitimately no idea what is happening here.

Back on topic, though, Bioware are still ignoring me. It's really starting to annoy me (⊙‿⊙✿)

Ahhhh, that.

Thing with that is, Finnish doesn't have these...what do you call words like to, from and in? Instead, the word itself changes. I.e. Finnish word for table is "pöytä". In English, you'd say on table, in Finnish, you'd say pöydällä. (Notice that the t changed into a d? Yeah, that happens a lot too. I pity all the people who study Finnish as a foreign language, because it's probably very hard.)

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a way to make this post look something else than totally off-topic...umm.

Well, it annoyed me that in the Czerka fp quest, imperial females could flirt with that female Czerka officer on the imperial fleet, but pub males couldn't flirt with that male Czerka officer in republic fleet. -.- *Post saved*

Oh, it came up on my dash!

http://lolatmra.tumblr.com/post/64694466545/white-guys-are-so-proud-of-their-ability-to-be-not

White guys are so proud of their ability to be not offended. When one of them tells a rape joke or uses a racial slur, they wink and pat themselves on the back and give endless attaboys for their superior skills in being not offended. They decry the “politically correct” society they find themselves in and look down on anyone who has the lack of fortitude to be offended by anything.

Of course, what allows them to be not offended at rape jokes and racial slurs is that they are not targeted at them. For white guys, these are fun toys to play with; while for much of the rest of the world, they are tools of violence and oppression. Not just relics of the past, but very much alive and well today. So, then, the magical quality that allows these guys to remain so aloof and above-it-all is, quite simply, privilege.

And if you want to watch hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance in action, simply bring up privilege to these not offended white guys and see how fast and hard they become offended. Privilege is a concept so simple and obvious that most social scientists take it as axiomatic, but the mere mention of it gets these guys worked up into a rage. They’re so proud of their ability to be not offended by oppressive language and stereotypes, but they’ll be damned if you point out why. Funny. It’s almost as if they are the beneficiaries of systems of oppression and want to subtly encourage those systems so as to continue benefiting, while simultaneously stifling all mention of those systems, so as to mollify their fragile egos and underused consciences.

But by all means; continue to congratulate yourself on your superior ability to be not offended by oppression and cruelty.

I thought some in this thread might appreciate that.

Ahhhh, that.

Thing with that is, Finnish doesn't have these...what do you call words like to, from and in? Instead, the word itself changes. I.e. Finnish word for table is "pöytä". In English, you'd say on table, in Finnish, you'd say pöydällä. (Notice that the t changed into a d? Yeah, that happens a lot too. I pity all the people who study Finnish as a foreign language, because it's probably very hard.)

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a way to make this post look something else than totally off-topic...umm.

Well, it annoyed me that in the Czerka fp quest, imperial females could flirt with that female Czerka officer on the imperial fleet, but pub males couldn't flirt with that male Czerka officer in republic fleet. -.- *Post saved*

Well, Mr. Musco did say they'd endeavour to make the SGR options more equal between the factions, but it seems what he actually meant was:

We'll make more options for straight men to enjoy, which bisexual and lesbian women might like. Gay men and straight women will have to live with it - this game is only meant for straight men. Straight men rule. We all love straight men. Go straight men. Whoo. Straight men. They're so straight.

*. Straighty straight straight. Mmm, straight dudes. They're our demographic. Our only player base. At all. Straight dudes. Everywhere. Forever. Straight dudes.

*best video I could find, sorry

We'll make more options for straight men to enjoy, which bisexual and lesbian women might like. Gay men and straight women will have to live with it - this game is only meant for straight men. Straight men rule. We all love straight men. Go straight men. Whoo. Straight men. They're so straight.
*. Straighty straight straight. Mmm, straight dudes. They're our demographic. Our only player base. At all. Straight dudes. Everywhere. Forever. Straight dudes.

If a couple of nice policemen come knocking your door and arrest you for murder, it's because I have laughed myself to death. :D

I'd want to play my scoundrel as someone who pretty much takes whoever he can get, no matter the gender, but BW is forcing him to be completely straight. My scoundrel is very unhappy about this.