Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Let's be optimistic and assume that this is a subtle plan to soften up the opposers before they throw in full-fledged SGRAs.

:rolleyes:

If the SGRs in Makeb and the [Flirt]s in the BBA haven't done it, nothing's going to - and certainly not an off-hand remark of a man killing his husband.

For the most part, though, it appears that the most vocal of detractors have largely left or been banned, so there's that. Anyone bringing up the "waah, people who aren't Straight Cis Men are getting content! WAAAH" cries are new people who haven't read the forum rules. Or done any research. Not even a simple Google.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the SGRs in Makeb and the [Flirt]s in the BBA haven't done it, nothing's going to - and certainly not an off-hand remark of a man killing his husband.

Slightly off topic, but did he actually kill him? I'd assumed he'd been tricked into thinking he had through visions.

Slightly off topic, but did he actually kill him? I'd assumed he'd been tricked into thinking he had through visions.

I don't play Republic, but it's heavily implied it's part of the hallucinations - the Dread Masters picking up on the viewer's deepest fears. Being responsible for the death of a loved one tends to rank pretty high.

It should be noted that Lord Cytharat was written by Alexander Freed before he life Austin to work freelance, and he was the writer responsible for the Imperial Agent story line, which is considered to be the best and, at least to my mind, has some of the most interesting NPCs and companions. Including the oft-cited bisexual Kaliyo.

I thought something was up with Kaliyo. Not only does she flirt with a female PC but she'll give you negative reaction points for flirting with men.

I had assumed that because I installed Rise of the Hutt Cartel, she was interested in my female Imperial Agent, but then I read up on that expansion and realized that couldn't be the case. I was confused.

That explains it.

-- Maria

Yeah, there's no word on SGRAs with existing companions, nor any indication that there will be, ever. Actually, there's no indication that Bioware will be adding SGRAs with companions, at all. So... yeah.

You may want to contact Dulfy, maybe. She has far more information about SWTOR than Mr. Musco seems to, at times.

I thought something was up with Kaliyo. Not only does she flirt with a female PC but she'll give you negative reaction points for flirting with men.

To be fair, this isn't consistent. Kaliyo tends to approve of seduction in pursuit of an objective: hit it, get the information, and quit it. She doesn't like it when the Agent gets laid for any other reason.

Also: hey, another BSN refugee!

BSN refugee? Is it that bad over there?

(Also, from what I remember, Kaliyo doesn't mind lots of casual sex. I think with the female!Agent she practically encourages it. "You take the smart ones, I'll take the rich, dumb ones" or something to that effect. Of course, my Agent never romanced her or any other lady and I don't actually have a female Agent, so I have no basis, other than watching over my husband's shoulder while he levelled his rather asexual lady Sniper.)

(Also, from what I remember, Kaliyo doesn't mind lots of casual sex. I think with the female!Agent she practically encourages it. "You take the smart ones, I'll take the rich, dumb ones" or something to that effect. Of course, my Agent never romanced her or any other lady and I don't actually have a female Agent, so I have no basis, other than watching over my husband's shoulder while he levelled his rather asexual lady Sniper.)

Let's see... as far as schisms go, there's:

Mage/Chantry

Qunari/Kossith wordage

"Romance all the companions... yes, even Shale! Especially Shale!"/"No, go buy a dating sim!"

Hawke and or Warden closure/"They were eaten by a grue, case closed"

Grimdark/Don't force grimdark

Loghain/Alistair

DA2/Never again

That's just the Dragon Age things... and I probably forgot a couple.

To be fair, this isn't consistent. Kaliyo tends to approve of seduction in pursuit of an objective: hit it, get the information, and quit it. She doesn't like it when the Agent gets laid for any other reason.

Yeah...the key to understanding Kaliyo's likes and dislikes is more about your motive for what you do rather than what you actually do.

Yeah, there's no word on SGRAs with existing companions, nor any indication that there will be, ever. Actually, there's no indication that Bioware will be adding SGRAs with companions, at all. So... yeah.

You may want to contact Dulfy, maybe. She has far more information about SWTOR than Mr. Musco seems to, at times.

I am unsure who Dulfy or Mr. Musco are or why I would be contacting them.

Not by my reckoning.

I interpreted it as interest.

And greetings.

-- Maria

Edited by MCaliban

Oh, sorry. Dulfy is the owner and updater of a third-party information and database site of the same name. She produces guides for Flashpoints, Operations and Daily areas, as well as having images and information for up-coming patches and Cartel Market content releases. I mentioned her in particular, because she was a part of the Makeb beta, and subsequently came to this thread to talk about the SGRA content after posting it to her site - that the Republic side would have a lesbian romance and the Imperial side a gay-male romance - and she did this before Eric Musco - Bioware's own Community Manager and the person who should handle all communication - even considered that that might be a good idea. (In spite of his, and previous CM's, promises to keep this thread appraised of updates.)

Musco was even surprised by a) the fact that the romances were divided in sexuality by both factions and b) that we would be angry about this.

It should also be noted that, in spite of his promises to the opposite, SGRA options still remain limited in access by faction in new content (Czerka) and likely up-coming content. One can assume this is because lesbians hold more appeal to the Straight Male Gamer, than do gay men.

It should also be noted that, in spite of his promises to the opposite, SGRA options still remain limited in access by faction in new content (Czerka) and likely up-coming content. One can assume this is because lesbians hold more appeal to the Straight Male Gamer, than do gay men.

If general chats reaction to Makeb and CZ-198 is any indication, this is sadly accurate.

On the whole faction specific thing, I'm sort of ok with it, in the sense that not every story content update includes characters of both genders as romance/minimance options and I'm fine with that. But, after a solid year of alternating between deafening silence and 'oh uh yeah it's coming guys', and the fact that six months and four major patches after RotHC went live there's still one m/m option in the entire game and it's Empire only, it's a bitter pill to swallow.

Edited by Bleeters

You forget that options for straight male characters greatly outweigh those for straight women (or bisexual individuals looking for an opposite/other-gender dalliance), overall:

http://brightephemera.tumblr.com/post/41922575001/number-crunching-and-female-companion-dynamics

(I should add that Bright's "**** Quota" includes moments such as Pierce, which are not fully scripted romances but rather fade-to-black scenes, whereas all the female companions have fully scripted romances as well as the obligatory "Are you going to choose me or her" conversations.)

There are a lot of reasons why I'm unhappy with how the romances are presented and made available in Star Wars: The Old Republic and, by god, if that Canita Tour ever comes back to London...

Wait, they actually made a non-romanceable female companion? ... Scorpio, or maybe the Khem/Zash remake of "All of Me"? (Pardon the obscure reference.)

Or is the Ewok meant to be a female? ... Not counting her, if so - because Cartel Market.

Edited by Palar

Wait, they actually made a non-romanceable female companion? ... Scorpio, or maybe the Khem/Zash remake of "All of Me"? (Pardon the obscure reference.)

Or is the Ewok meant to be a female? ... Not counting her, if so - because Cartel Market.

I think people count LS and DS Jaesa as separate companions, and she's only romanceable if she's DS.

I think people count LS and DS Jaesa as separate companions, and she's only romanceable if she's DS.

A lot of people do, but I personally don't, as it's still up to the player whether they want to romance Jaesa. It's not like there's an option to romance Lord Scourge, but you have to do X first, or romance Gault, but you have to do Y first.

Yes, Treek is female, but talking original companions, EVERY female companion is romanceable (as others said, LS Jaesa may not be but DS Jaesa is... so IMO that counts). As for Scorpio and other persons that are not actually female... Like take Scorpio. Scorpio isn't a woman. Scorpio is a droid. Who happens to have a female chassis and voice modulator. "She's" no more female than a car the owner calls by a female name.