The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

I haven't read the novel they're talking about, yet, but I did read Lords of the Sith... The imperial characters didn't seem to have a problem with Delian Mors, except for one unlikeable fellow who didn't like her because she was (paraphrasing here) "hedonistic, lazy, and soft" (and because he was ambitious and wanted her job).

But we find out that she's just been adrift and directionless since the death of her wife in an accident.

When we actually get to see her point of view, we get a much more nuanced look. She's probably my favourite of the minor characters in that book.

So, despite the implications of the article, I don't think the Imps have a problem with non-heterosexual sexualities. I guess I'll have to read Aftermath and find out if I'm right here.

I based the comment purely on the article linked. Haven't read the book. The article made mention of the evil empire may not like it.

One can go by past books, but as all books written in the EU, they have contradicted each other.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, they've said they're working on a blog post on the leveling changes for next week. I wonder if that means we'll get any news on whether or not they'll be adding SGR to the 1-50 leveling experience.

Doubt it. They'll probably talk about story changes separately from mechanics changes.

Yes...unfortunately we most likely won't see SGR(A?) content for 1-50

If we see any 1-50 story changes, they'll be "kill Quinn/Skadge at appropriate times," something far more in demand than our simple desires have ever been and far easier to implement (they just have to restore beta content instead of rewriting or adding anything new). And I sincerely doubt we'll even get that. We definitely won't be getting "dude-romance Vector from the start." Too much work for something they're trying very hard to completely move on from - the only reason KotFE is even an expansion and not a new game entirely, as far as I can tell, is so they don't irritate their current subscriber pool due to lost titles/achievements/gear/pets. They certainly aren't interested in continuing the same story.

Also, I can't say much on these forums, but float around Reddit for a while if you want to see how optimistic you should feel about getting Kara to kiss your female JK in any of the new content. (Hint: it sure ain't happening any time this year.)

That said... I still think there's hope for moderate light siders and Lana. I'm glad other people are as unimpressed by her behavior on Ziost as I am, but I think that can be attributed to the fact that she's completely freaking out. Her whole plotline on Ziost is basically "she really isn't right for this job and can't hack it," as evidenced by her constant panic, short temper, complete failure to notice the mole right in front of her face, and the entire conversation afterward where 2/3 options get her to resign. Contrast this with Theron, who screwed up badly but is still calm, jovial, and totally focused and self-controlled, identifies the mole on his own, and can't be convinced to quit, because this is what he's supposed to be doing. I think Lana's excessively cold, dark side behavior is meant as a very deliberate demonstration of how far she's in over her head, not a change in her alignment (which was always only LS Sith, which is at best grey by Jedi standards). Similarly I think people extrapolating from a single dark side decision she wants you to make in the livestream are jumping the gun a bit. One moment doesn't tell us anything definitive (Mako and Kira have dozens of dark side decisions they support, but they're still solidly LS characters, for example).

Pure light siders were never going to make it work even on Rishi, though, so yeah, it'll be pretty lame if we don't get a real LS female option in KotFE. As far as straight options go, it's not so bad to have Doc or nothing on a female Knight because I can always just roll a consular and enjoy the Iresso romance - not every one of 8-16 stories needs to have a perfect match, because at least enough of them will that I can get that experience for much of my 1-50. But KotFE is one story, with what looks like one set of companions to choose from for all 8-16 characters, so it's way more important to have more options in that small set if we're to get the same level of satisfaction in the 60+.

Also, I can't say much on these forums, but float around Reddit for a while if you want to see how optimistic you should feel about getting Kara to kiss your female JK in any of the new content. (Hint: it sure ain't happening any time this year.).

Reddit is a cesspool of misogyny, homophobia, and pedophilia, so you'll forgive me if I don't take their opinion seriously.

Reddit is a cesspool of misogyny, homophobia, and pedophilia, so you'll forgive me if I don't take their opinion seriously.

"Opinion" is not the issue here. Reddit is where the dataminers post. Data doesn't care what you think of it. It just is. And what it is, for us, is not promising on the "existing romance companions" front. For anyone, really, not just us. SGR folks actually get a shred of good news from mined data that for some bizarre reason BioWare is leaving completely unsaid.

This is true of the internet as a whole, so there's no point hating on specifically Reddit when they're virtually the only worthwhile source of information on KOTFE.

If we see any 1-50 story changes, they'll be "kill Quinn/Skadge at appropriate times," something far more in demand than our simple desires have ever been and far easier to implement (they just have to restore beta content instead of rewriting or adding anything new).

It's still lots of work to add that back in and assuming many former companions will be killable in KOTFE story anyway, no point spending time on that. I expect zero changes in terms of story/content in original 1-50 class stories, just modified XP numbers

I expect zero changes in terms of story/content in original 1-50 class stories, just modified XP numbers

I expect the same, but just because we will be able to kill companions (yay) in KotFE why will it be a waste of money and time?

Imo that will give a new life to 1-50 and will bring alot of people to replay their favorite (or favorites) story/stories....ofcourse that's an imo and I may be overestimating how many story loving people are left with swtor...

PS: why doesn't the reply shows the whole thread/topic, but I have to open it as another window to see it. Why Bioware are you making me work harder why?!? /whine end :)

I expect the same, but just because we will be able to kill companions (yay) in KotFE why will it be a waste of money and time?

Imo that will give a new life to 1-50 and will bring alot of people to replay their favorite (or favorites) story/stories....ofcourse that's an imo and I may be overestimating how many story loving people are left with swtor...

PS: why doesn't the reply shows the whole thread/topic, but I have to open it as another window to see it. Why Bioware are you making me work harder why?!? /whine end :)

It's a waste of time because BioWare is moving away from the "old game." Knights is where BioWare wants everyone to be once the expansion drops. The old world will still be there for those who want to play around in it, but it's going to be a side note in the story. No one will care if you were a mighty Darth or the most wanted bounty hunter alive. BioWare isn't going to invest precious animation time on anything related to old world content.

You've also made the most common mistake of assuming that "odd" people on this message board reflect the opinions of the super majority of people who play the game. They do not. I'd like to say that the average player doesn't log in thinking about how to get digitally laid in an MMO. I'd like to say that but I won't because I don't know what the average gamer thinks when logging in and neither do you. You can't say that adding a romance scene is going to cause most of us to roll new characters and expect it to be taken seriously, because you don't actually know that.

It's a waste of time because BioWare is moving away from the "old game." Knights is where BioWare wants everyone to be once the expansion drops. The old world will still be there for those who want to play around in it, but it's going to be a side note in the story. No one will care if you were a mighty Darth or the most wanted bounty hunter alive. BioWare isn't going to invest precious animation time on anything related to old world content.

You've also made the most common mistake of assuming that "odd" people on this message board reflect the opinions of the super majority of people who play the game. They do not. I'd like to say that the average player doesn't log in thinking about how to get digitally laid in an MMO. I'd like to say that but I won't because I don't know what the average gamer thinks when logging in and neither do you. You can't say that adding a romance scene is going to cause most of us to roll new characters and expect it to be taken seriously, because you don't actually know that.

Well somebody woke on the wrong side of the bed...how nice!:)

But since we are only allowed to form and give opinions on 100% known facts: good to know that we will not be recognized as a darth (or whatever title we had at the end of SoR)....can you tell us more of the story since you apparently already know it...use spoiler tags just in case....

....just curious: when did I made ''the most common mistake of assuming that "odd" people on this message board reflect the opinions of the super majority of people who play the game''? I was actually thinking of the 2.5kk people that were there at the start (and few months after) of the game and assumed most of them were expecting kotor 3&4 (and 5&6?) from it. And went away after the devs weren't fast enough with the story updates.

....did you pull these things out of your *** and put them in my mouth so your post can be longer?....oh I am sorry...I shouldn't say such things:)

...and ''super majority''...haha...just saw that....short (or maybe I should say medium) long posts are ok....although I love lurking this thread because of it's long posts...ugh I am hypocrite....

Well somebody woke on the wrong side of the bed...how nice!:)

But since we are only allowed to form and give opinions on 100% known facts: good to know that we will not be recognized as a darth (or whatever title we had at the end of SoR)....can you tell us more of the story since you apparently already know it...use spoiler tags just in case....

....just curious: when did I made ''the most common mistake of assuming that "odd" people on this message board reflect the opinions of the super majority of people who play the game''? I was actually thinking of the 2.5kk people that were there at the start (and few months after) of the game and assumed most of them were expecting kotor 3&4 (and 5&6?) from it. And went away after the devs weren't fast enough with the story updates.

....did you pull these things out of your *** and put them in my mouth so your post can be longer?....oh I am sorry...I shouldn't say such things:)

...and ''super majority''...haha...just saw that....short (or maybe I should say medium) long posts are ok....although I love lurking this thread because of it's long posts...ugh I am hypocrite....

Every MMO I've been a part of, has said the forums only make up a very small minority of their games population. Actually playing the game, I can see that. In all the guilds I've been apart of, almost done of the members read the forums and out of those who did, less posted on them.

What did help, was a forum reader/poster directing said members to posts and such :) I get the feeling most just want to play the game, not read up on it or discuss it with people who often just want people to agree with what they're saying :p

Every MMO I've been a part of, has said the forums only make up a very small minority of their games population. Actually playing the game, I can see that. In all the guilds I've been apart of, almost none of the members read the forums and out of those who did, less posted on them.

What did help, was a forum reader/poster directing said members to posts and such :) I get the feeling most just want to play the game, not read up on it or discuss it with people who often just want people to agree with what they're saying :p

/sigh I hope you had/have a nice day and you won't take that the wrong way but....what are you talking about with your second part of your post? Or are they connected? Maybe I missed the grand meaning of the poster who for some reason decided that I can not know with absolute certainty what people are thinking (which is obviously correct) and therefore 'how dare I form and express an opinion!'

So if that is the case elaborate please....

Edited by Saelinne

/sigh I hope you had/have a nice day and you won't take that the wrong way but....what are you talking about with your second part of your post? Or are they connected? Maybe I missed the grand meaning of the poster who for some reason decided that I can not know with absolute certainty what people are thinking (which is obviously correct) and therefore 'how dare I form and express an opinion!'

So if that is the case elaborate please....

Last point was just saying, should get your gaming friends/guild involved with the forums :p

Last point was just saying, should get your gaming friends/guild involved with the forums :p

:)

No guilds for me, because I play SWTOR for the story (and to ''smell the roses'' from time to time....which pisses people off because I like taking my time levelling) and as a result I am altholic (if that is the right word...?).

...anyway please go back to the original theme people and don't let me derail the topic further:)

Edit:...although, now that I think about it, every guild should have the link to the class forum:)

Edited by Saelinne

It's a video game. I have no problems with same gender romance. As the world is today in all honesty it should be in the game.

But I respect that others may be offended by it. So I would suggest like the profanity filter a toggle in the settings area to allow it or not allow it

It's a video game. I have no problems with same gender romance. As the world is today in all honesty it should be in the game.

But I respect that others may be offended by it. So I would suggest like the profanity filter a toggle in the settings area to allow it or not allow it

People who are determined to be offended by two guys (or girls) smooching in a video game -- while deciding they're also perfectly fine with the mass violence, racism, slavery, sexual coercion and brainwashing featured prominently in said game -- always puzzle me.

IIRC, toggle talk is verboten for this particular topic, as it's considered hate speech by the mods.

People who are determined to be offended by two guys (or girls) smooching in a video game -- while deciding they're also perfectly fine with the mass violence, racism, slavery, sexual coercion and brainwashing featured prominently in said game -- always puzzle me.

IIRC, toggle talk is verboten for this particular topic, as it's considered hate speech by the mods.

Oh i was unaware about the toggle talk ty.

And yes the things that offend people really puzzles me as well. I admit it does take alot to offend me but people have whispered me and said they were offended my in-game toons name which is a ancient Pagan goddess name.

Edited by Upirlikhyi

Toggle talk is considered "hate speech?" How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about? As for the "same gender romance" stuff, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing that option in any of the dialogues between any of my characters and their companions. If such an option ever did come up for me, I would simply ignore it since that sort of thing doesn't interest me in any way (to put it diplomatically).

I play this game to enjoy an escape from reality. I just want to be the good guy fighting bad guys (or someone fighting to survive if playing Empire). So if I see any real world social/political issues pop up in any dialogue options, I simply ignore them and go on with my gaming experience.

Oh i was unaware about the toggle talk ty.

And yes the things that offend people really puzzles me as well. I admit it does take alot to offend me but people have whispered me and said they were offended my in-game toons name which is a ancient Pagan goddess name.

Oh really.

Toggle talk is considered "hate speech?" How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about? As for the "same gender romance" stuff, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing that option in any of the dialogues between any of my characters and their companions. If such an option ever did come up for me, I would simply ignore it since that sort of thing doesn't interest me in any way (to put it diplomatically).

I think the idea here is that advocating for a toggle is functionally equivalent to "pray away the gay," as if homosexuality is something that can just be turned off with a switch. This of course is not the case, so Bioware considers it hate speech.

Toggle talk is considered "hate speech?" How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about?

BW makes the rules, and they've made their stance clear in previous threads:

Amber already came in and talked about cleaning the thread up a bit but I am going to be closing this thread. We are also going to be removing all further threads talking about an SGRA toggle being implemented into the game.

I will personally apologize as this was my error. My hope was that a topic like this could allow for constructive discussion on the inclusion, or lack there of, for SGRA. Unfortunately as we have mentioned previously, including an SGRA toggle is discriminatory and these topics quickly devolve into arguments of the social and moral nature, which have no place on the forums.

This was the statement we made before, which still remains true today:

As a gentle reminder: Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed.

<< How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about? As for the "same gender romance" stuff, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing that option in any of the dialogues between any of my characters and their companions>>

It's easy. If you want to avoid the conversation, don't click the "flirt" option. That goes for same as well as opposite gender. Technically, to progress the story, you don't "need" to romance ANYONE.

Unlike the pacifist. They do not have the same option. To progress in the story, you DO need to kill lots and lots of other people, animals, droids.....

"its called Star "WARS" - not Star "Negotiate", Star "Peace", or Star "Mediate"

"peace is a lie"