The dumbest questions in general chat?

thomasbaxter

Hey, while I am all for helping people, some of the questions posted here are really moronic and could be solved 100 times more easily by asking Google the same question. Also, when people are unable to follow directions (for example "Where do I respec?" question) it is easy to get annoyed after you do it 10 times

How is typing a question in to Google any easier than asking a captive audience - many of which are "experts" - the questions in the intended channel in which to ask these questions? And heck, I've been playing SW:TOR since closed beta and I couldn't tell you where to respec off the top of my head. If someone asked, though, I'd take a look for it, send an invite and ask them to come to me.

You aren't "all for helping people" if you're calling them moronic in the same breath and detailing why you won't help.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, while I am all for helping people, some of the questions posted here are really moronic and could be solved 100 times more easily by asking Google the same question. Also, when people are unable to follow directions (for example "Where do I respec?" question) it is easy to get annoyed after you do it 10 times

You can also let someone else answer the question. And no, for someone new to the game, the respec trainer isn't obvious to find without bringing up the map. I love maps, I check my map all the time. For some people, that's less "standard protocol".

And I've mentioned it before, but sometimes when I enter the fleet, it takes a while for the advanced class and crewskill missiongivers to actually appear. Sometimes as long as twenty seconds. A new player who doesn't know that those questgivers are right outside the elevator will probably start walking long before that, and be outside minimap range before those NPC's finally appear. So it doesn't really amaze me that many people end up on Coruscant or Dromund Kaas wondering when they get to pick their advanced class or crewskills.

In my opinion, those questgivers should really be moved to the starter planet shuttle-hangar on the fleet, right in front of the elevator, instead of on the rings after the elevator. That way, the chance for the questgivers to rez properly will drastically increase, which means less people run past them without noticing.

Well, my problem is, you direct them very specifically, something like this

Go the the part of the station where your class trainer is, and look for a NPC with Skill Mentor title. He is in the room with the star icon over it, on the far end of the trainer section.

I my weird mind, this is as good instruction as possible without actually going there and inviting the said person to see you (not always possible, since you can be grouped, or just leaving, joining WZ etc).

And after a while, the person says:

I am standing at him and he won't talk to me
(he is naturally standing at his class trainer). So you offer to lead him there.

But, after you do it 10 times, it gets quite annoying

Also, Google shows video response as third to fifth link for easy question such as swtor respec or swtor where do I reset talents.

How is typing a question in to Google any easier than asking a captive audience - many of which are "experts" - the questions in the intended channel in which to ask these questions? And heck, I've been playing SW:TOR since closed beta and I couldn't tell you where to respec off the top of my head. If someone asked, though, I'd take a look for it, send an invite and ask them to come to me.

You aren't "all for helping people" if you're calling them moronic in the same breath and detailing why you won't help.

Because on Google you will have not only swaths of information written right before you but screenshots, pictures, and even videos explaining and describing who, what, when, where, and how. Something that is not possible to do in general chat. That's why! And because people need to learn to do something for themselves, that's why!

That was my point... they tell you ONCE.

While (most) veteran players already know the differences between classes, many newbies don't, and may have missed that role description during class selection. Missing that statement, then asking an honest question in chat for clarification is hardly gross incompetence, and I'd go as far as saying that such may be classified as prudent rather than "dumb."

If they missed it, they chose not to read something provided to them.

I love when people ask for help with basic story line quests, not heroics, because somehow there way under leveled. :p

The other question is usually asking when do they get there offhand weapons and/or double bladed saber, not realizing they have an unopened backpack in there inventory that they received when picking there AC. :rolleyes:

Because on Google you will have not only swaths of information written right before you but screenshots, pictures, and even videos explaining and describing who, what, when, where, and how. Something that is not possible to do in general chat. That's why! And because people need to learn to do something for themselves, that's why!

Alternately, instead of researching and poring over voluminous quantities of irrelevant and extraneous information, you could kindly direct them to their objective. A lot of people play MMOs simply for escapism - they already do everything for themselves and for those around them and would like a break from that. Not everyone aspires to know every facet of the game. Who are you to decide for them what they need? :rolleyes:

You can also let someone else answer the question. And no, for someone new to the game, the respec trainer isn't obvious to find without bringing up the map. I love maps, I check my map all the time. For some people, that's less "standard protocol".

And I've mentioned it before, but sometimes when I enter the fleet, it takes a while for the advanced class and crewskill missiongivers to actually appear. Sometimes as long as twenty seconds. A new player who doesn't know that those questgivers are right outside the elevator will probably start walking long before that, and be outside minimap range before those NPC's finally appear. So it doesn't really amaze me that many people end up on Coruscant or Dromund Kaas wondering when they get to pick their advanced class or crewskills.

In my opinion, those questgivers should really be moved to the starter planet shuttle-hangar on the fleet, right in front of the elevator, instead of on the rings after the elevator. That way, the chance for the questgivers to rez properly will drastically increase, which means less people run past them without noticing.

But see even when you tell them to bring up the map and look, and even sometimes gone so far as explain to them how to read a map, you end up getting yelled at by people saying

'Well why don't you just tell him where it's at. The amount of time you have spent "teaching" him how to use a map because you're some kind of elitist jerk ( on a side note I swear I am ready to backhand the next person who uses the "elitist" remark) you could've just told him where it was at!" (This is not an indictment of you BTW, just an in general seen it happen too many times to discount thing.)

Well yeah we could all just hold his hand for 50 levels too, oooooor teach him how to use it and he becomes self sufficient, hopefully.

I really don't have a problem with basic questions. My memory's pretty good, and I can remember not knowing a lot of the answers to these questions. A quick inquiry in general can save a lot of mucking around searching for the answer elsewhere. A polite honest question deserves a polite honest answer.

However, I do have a problem with stupid responses to help. The 'just tell me which is better!' to what AC to pick is a classic. The one that really bugs me is the instant group invite when I respond to a "how do I kill x boss." Don't group invite me when I give you a pointer on how to take down a boss. You obviously haven't tried what I suggested.

Alternately, instead of researching and poring over voluminous quantities of irrelevant and extraneous information, you could kindly direct them to their objective. A lot of people play MMOs simply for escapism - they already do everything for themselves and for those around them and would like a break from that. Not everyone aspires to know every facet of the game. Who are you to decide for them what they need? :rolleyes:

OR, here's a wild and crazy idea I know, especially given how the mentality these days is to "protect everyone and hold their hands because they can't possibly do for themselves". You show them where to go and let them learn for themselves like tens of thousands of people before them. I know, crazy and wild idea, expecting people to do for themselves. So tell you what, you go ahead and continue to hold peoples hands and continue to foster the dependency mentality, and I'll continue to tell them to do some reading for themselves and even where to go to read said info so they can maybe become productive members of the community.

Oh, and to call out your stupid strawman argument, no one is expecting them to know every facet of the game so you're righteous indignation routine there, just cut the BS. It isn't about expecting them to know every facet of the game, but even just basic stuff that is in the tutorials that they decide to shut of as soon as they log in for the first time, basic stuff that had they taken 5 minutes to read they just might not be asking such a ridiculously stupid question. But please continue.

Edited by Hyfy

But see even when you tell them to bring up the map and look, and even sometimes gone so far as explain to them how to read a map, you end up getting yelled at by people saying

'Well why don't you just tell him where it's at. The amount of time you have spent "teaching" him how to use a map because you're some kind of elitist jerk ( on a side note I swear I am ready to backhand the next person who uses the "elitist" remark) you could've just told him where it was at!" (This is not an indictment of you BTW, just an in general seen it happen too many times to discount thing.)

Well yeah we could all just hold his hand for 50 levels too, oooooor teach him how to use it and he becomes self sufficient, hopefully.

Hate to say it, but you are indeed acting in an elitist manner - you have an exhaustive knowledge of the game that you are withholding in order to "teach" others. You are making the assumption that everyone aspires to be on the same level of play that you are on. That is an incorrect assumption to make, and that is the source of your incredulousness as to why people don't agree with your stance.

Yes, there are some questions that are better suited to internet research, but "Where is X?" is not one of them. A lot of people play MMOs for accomplishment - to be the best, to progress, to become an expert on the game, to become part of a community, etc. Others play simply to play. And that's a concept that a lot of MMO veterans simply cannot grasp, as you aptly demonstrate.

Edited by CelCawdro

The only one who would ask the question about tanking is a newbie. Prior to level 10, however, most of those resources are NOT accessible.

Asking isn't stupid. NOT asking, assuming, then getting your FP party killed because you don't know your role is.

And how many flashpoints do you do before level 10. And the ones at level 10 does not require a tank. Only two players and their pets. You don't even need to have your pets but it sure helps.

OR, here's a wild and crazy idea I know, especially given how the mentality these days is to "protect everyone and hold their hands because they can't possibly do for themselves". You show them where to go and let them learn for themselves like tens of thousands of people before them. I know, crazy and wild idea, expecting people to do for themselves. So tell you what, you go ahead and continue to hold peoples hands and continue to foster the dependency mentality, and I'll continue to tell them to do some reading for themselves and even where to go to read said info so they can maybe become productive members of the community.

Oh, and to call out your stupid strawman argument, no one is expecting them to know every facet of the game so you're righteous indignation routine there, just cut the BS. It isn't about expecting them to know every facet of the game, but even just basic stuff that is in the tutorials that they decide to shut of as soon as they log in for the first time, basic stuff that had they taken 5 minutes to read they just might not be asking such a ridiculously stupid question. But please continue.

And people wonder why MMO players have a negative reputation these days. Gotta love throwing out insults and buzzwords instead of actually discussing civilly. :rolleyes:

The one's I really hate are the spoiler questions like how do I kill [insert class final boss here] on the starter worlds and capital worlds or even worse just moaning how hard SW boss

Darth Baras

or SI boss

Darth Zash

are. Nobody ever seems to moan about the IA boss though which either means there are less IAs around or they don't want to spoil the story.

"I am where the first priority targets is but they're not there. WHY?!?!?!?!?!?@!???!?!?!?"

Just asked 2 minutes ago.

To be fair if you don't know how long the respawn for the WB is or what they are that could be seriously confusing. It is AFAIK the only quest series that require waiting that long for the respawns.

Hate to say it, but you are indeed acting in an elitist manner - you have an exhaustive knowledge of the game that you are withholding in order to "teach" others. You are making the assumption that everyone aspires to be on the same level of play that you are on. That is an incorrect assumption to make, and that is the source of your incredulousness as to why people don't agree with your stance.

Yes, there are some questions that are better suited to internet research, but "Where is X?" is not one of them. A lot of people play MMOs for accomplishment - to be the best, to progress, to become an expert on the game, to become part of a community, etc. Others play simply to play. And that's a concept that a lot of MMO veterans simply cannot grasp, as you aptly demonstrate.

Bahahaha, expecting people to do for themselves while telling them where to get the information is an "elitist manner". Hahaha you people are classic. Just because I refuse to hold their hands for 50 levels I'm acting an an "elitist manner". Bwahahahaha.

Please don't make me laugh so hard while I'm trying to drink my coffee.

Here let me make this easy for you (hopefully)

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)

n.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.

b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

Now....where have you seen me say that anyone should get favored treatment or where am I saying I am entitled to anything, where am I controlling, ruling or dominating anyone? No pal, if anything I am giving the people the means by which they can move out of where they are and move into position of knowing. I am helping them learn how to do it on their own and by virtue of that to be self sufficient. Since when did that become such a bad thing? "Elitist manner", bwahahahaha....

And people wonder why MMO players have a negative reputation these days. Gotta love throwing out insults and buzzwords instead of actually discussing civilly. :rolleyes:

Another strawman argument, would you like to actually have a discussion or are you going to continue to spout off platitudes like a drunken pirate, get the hell out of here.

Another strawman argument, would you like to actually have a discussion or are you going to continue to spout off platitudes like a drunken pirate, get the hell out of here.

And what insult? I didn't insult anyone unless trying to teach people where to go to get info is an insult to you.

With that said, I'm off to get some more coffee and go play, enjoy your day, and I'll be sure to send some more people your way so you can hold their hands for awhile.

Edited by Hyfy

CelCawdro:

There is very, very old proverb "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

So, if you teach someone how to use the map, in the future, he will be less likely to ask where something is, as he will be able to look on a map and get the answer in two clicks.

I think that reading the tutorial, especially now, when BW made it even more "stupid-proof", should be mandatory for first character.

CelCawdro:

There is very, very old proverb "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.".

I think everyone knows that any question they have about the game can probably be answered with a google search, so my basic rule of thumb is that if it would take me more than a sentence to give the answer, I'll probably just say, "Google it." Or if I know they will have many other questions along the same lines as the first. A good example being, "Where are the datacrons on this planet?" It's often difficult, particularly with some of them, to describe not only where, but how to get to certain datacrons. So much easier to look at maps and pictures with descriptions on a website. And they are ALL there.

To be fair if you don't know how long the respawn for the WB is or what they are that could be seriously confusing. It is AFAIK the only quest series that require waiting that long for the respawns.

I did explain to him what a World Boss was. Then he replied, "Well I'm lvl 24. I should be able to solo it." then ignored me. :/

C'mon man. I refuse to believe that people are so stupid that they have to ask in-game if this game is online. If it was offline, how would they get an answer?

This happenede on Dromund Kaas the other day; someone asked in general chat, "Where is the dark temple". People answered him that if you just follow your story and use your map, you will get to it. If you have anything to do there, it will be marked on the map. Others also answered that it's in the most western part of the map, just follow the road towards it. This guy continued to spam general chat with "where is the dark temple", even though people had answered him, and still kept answering him.

What more could he want when it comes to help? Mind you, most people have no trouble at all finding the dark temple.

You can't hold people's hands through the game. The next thing you'll want to do is give them a round of applause for creating their own character.