The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Despot's Chest Plate butt and crotch flaps

Velenias

I'm curious if anyone shares the same opinion or not regarding the butt and crotch flaps Despot's Chest Plate from the new skip tracer pack. Got it yesterday on my sentinel to replace the now ruined preceptor's robe. Every time I look at it I can help but feel that the butt and crotch flaps look horrible and out of place on the armor. The cloth-like sash below the waist isn't too bad (albeit way too long in the back), but the butt and crotch flaps just look odd on the armor. Only reason I'm still using it is because I like how it looks from the waist up. Anyone else agree with this or am I the only one?

I agree - it looks tacked on.

Personally, I think it looks like you've sat on a TIE-fighter ... I suppose when you are a despot, everyone is afraid to laugh at you?

That said, I hope other people like it. Mine goes on the GTN as soon as it's unbound.

EDIT - I think it is the same for females. At least, I didn;t see any belly showing when I previewed it on my female toon.

Edited by UltimateKrucible

Yeah what is it with EA/BW obsession with butt-flaps in this game? They put them on so many things that look out of place or ruin the aesthetics of armor it isn't funny!

The Imperial Dancer outfit. It looks totally added on and out of place.

Aspiring Knight's Vest, butt-flap looks perfect there (love that little design) but it was ruined when some genius decided to stretch those leg flap things. And you can tell the existing leg flaps were simply stretched if you look at it closely. Before they were just a little flap maybe six inches or so, after they stretch to the knees! Totally ruins the whole look!

Bleh I could go on and on about how silly the various flaps are in SWTOR. Its pointless. The art team for SWTOR either never watched the movies or fast forwarded through maybe one. They have seem to have zero clue about how things should look in the Star Wars Universe, or what just looks good in general as is brutally illustrated in the endgame gear. Tasteless, pointless, absurd doohickeys adorn everything in excess.

Yeah what is it with EA/BW obsession with butt-flaps in this game? They put them on so many things that look out of place or ruin the aesthetics of armor it isn't funny!

The Imperial Dancer outfit. It looks totally added on and out of place.

Aspiring Knight's Vest, butt-flap looks perfect there (love that little design) but it was ruined when some genius decided to stretch those leg flap things. And you can tell the existing leg flaps were simply stretched if you look at it closely. Before they were just a little flap maybe six inches or so, after they stretch to the knees! Totally ruins the whole look!

Bleh I could go on and on about how silly the various flaps are in SWTOR. Its pointless. The art team for SWTOR either never watched the movies or fast forwarded through maybe one. They have seem to have zero clue about how things should look in the Star Wars Universe, or what just looks good in general as is brutally illustrated in the endgame gear. Tasteless, pointless, absurd doohickeys adorn everything in excess.

Yes, I too hate flaps in this game, except maybe the imperial sniper pvp flaps. They are just right. However, I dislike them on so many pieces of gear like slave girl outfit, or jk aspiring knight vest, and many others.

Count me as one who dislikes most of the 'flaps', they ruin so many pieces by not only looking ridiculous, but the clipping and movement issues are downright awful. One in particular that comes to mind, though I can't recall the name, is a lovely Imperial chest piece that becomes a midriff-bearing piece on females, yet there's this long, stiff flap in the front that absolutely ruins the whole look. Or the chest piece I have on one of my Vettes that has that nasty triangle-ish flap on the back...just awful.

The butt and crotch flaps ruin the entire outfit. Their art department isn't producing gear that players want as far as I understand. They need to have cosmetics that players like. The endgame gear is just one example of Bioware saying screw you here's some ugly armor that we want you to wear. If they got rid of those flaps on this I'd buy 4 sets for my characters

• 3 weeks later...
You have to understand that gear design in MMOs are mostly about placing illogical and ugly accessories on armors. Like stupid glowing effects, fire spewing from nowhere, or shoulder pads that does not fit the armor at all etc etc. Most of the time when it comes to MMOs, the best looking gear you find is the gear that drops early in the game. Edited by Merwanor

They should fix the issues with a version B (no flaps) of the Despot's chest when they patch the fix for the other cartel gear (like the phantom chest).

Without the flaps, the Despot chest would be great, and would work well for a number of different character looks. With the flaps, looks like crap and will never use it.

I myself like this armor set. I have it on both my assassin and my agent op. IMO there is a big difference the way this armor looks on a male vs female. All my toons are female, and the set looks much better on them. I have even went as far as bought the despot helm for my assassin to get my "starkiller" look going. The good thing about the set is there is no color matching issue. Its all black and thats my favorite color. :)

I agree the flap on the Despot armor doesn't look right, its also too stiff in the front... like the Lacqerous Vest the front looks weird due to the length and stiffness (swtor needs to lay of the starch sometimes). But at least the first has the belly on the girl's covered.