Isn't it about time Ilum was fixed?

Cleet_Xia

Right now the Ilum Open PvP area is pretty much just wasted space. Most PvP events are set up in the outlaw's den because of the quick travel there, the smaller size, and the better performance of the Tatooine map. The Ilum area just drags the whole planet of Ilum down, and many rigs just can't handle the overhead involved with the meshes and lighting effects of the Ilum area. Just based on it's size, the area is built to accommodate roughly 32v32 pvp, but most player's rigs can't handle that. So it's either PvP in a jerky, teeth nashing lag fest, or play little teams in a GIANT arena. Either way it's a FAIL. And it doens't see a whole lot of use as a result.

1) I would like to see a world event that alters the geography of the Ilum pvP area into either a PvE daily area or an Open PvP area that is about 50% smaller. Just do something with this monument to failure, and bad memories.

a)If it is to be a PvP area, there needs to be a new

to fight over, and inside of. Maybe a crashed starship, or just a tigher perimeter of wrecked walkers. The current

cap is about 50% too large, to serve the purpose well for anything less than 16v16. Something similar to the existing

~ to camp on/in, with choke points. Just some sort of tighter geography that will actually let an outmatched team hold up against a larger force. I say this because, as soon as a faction reports to fleet that the enemy is massing in the Ilum PvP area- the response is enormous. Players want to Open world PvP, so much that the armies instantly become grossly unmatched. This kills the Open PvP about as fast as it spontaneously forms. If the winning faction controls a more defensive position, it will keep the PvP going longer, even if the factions become unbalanced. If the smaller faction holds the center, they can play toward the inside, and draw the attacking team into massive barrages of AoE. If the smaller faction is "assaulting" they can use a main group to draw out the enemy, while stealthers go for the cap that will cause any defenders killed to respawn further away.

b)If it is to become a PvE area, add mobs, a world boss, and some instanced caves for a few more dailies.

2) Either way, collapse the tunnel & get rid of the speeder ride there. Just put a faction specific shuttle at new North and South bases that are closer together. Let players use the shuttles in the daily areas to get there, after burning their legacy QT to the BH area. Put a consumable Priority Transport on the PvP venders for WZ comms, or add a legacy unlock. Along with this, make the Ilum PvP area a unique world area - cut it off, so it doesn't load with the Ilum PvE world. And so that when you go to the Ilum PvP area - you are going to a different instance. Essentially set it up with the same relationship that Section X has to Belsavis. This should dramatically improve the performance of both Ilum "worlds". By making it a unique instance, the pop caps per faction could be set on the low side so that balanced instances could form easily with 16v16 ~ 24v24 or some such. High enough that a WZ pop won't unbalance the factions, but low enough for them to hit the pop cap quickly. It's almost just a cut and paste job.

On another note about snowy things: we have ball toss & the holostatues - WHY don't we have throwable snow balls, and deployable Talz/Wookie snowmen?

Isn't it about time companions stabbing themselves with their lightsabers were fixed?

You see where I'm going with this, right?

That's not gamebreaking and taking anything away from people who use companions.

Illum was stripped from the PvPers and is 100% useless unless you PvE.

if you see the livestream, you will see they said febrary or march

I for some reason got the impression it will be a new area, with some kind of building or ship in it, based on what they said. I really hope it works with the engine. We need more ways to PvP than just WZs, though the new one is quite fun.

I for some reason got the impression it will be a new area, with some kind of building or ship in it, based on what they said. I really hope it works with the engine. We need more ways to PvP than just WZs, though the new one is quite fun.

I remember in an interview they said it was being totally revamped and reworked from scratch. Part of the reason I guess why it is taking so long. Just hope they come through.

Its funny to read this post about open world PVP on Ilum while the OP ideas are the furthest thing from open world.

Sorry but what makes open world PVP fun is the organic and spontaneous feel it has, not small spoon fed areas, choke points with a central goal, and equal numbers.... You just described a WZ, we already have those.

As most people say that you need more than two factions for world pvp I tend to agree with, but a central goal and general reward system just make it a farm zone or zerg fest. Base building, nodes, territory control, ect ,ect has been tried and most are just zerg fests and blobs.

I think the only thing that could make Ilum and open world PVP kind of cool would be that each class has its own system and objective for Ilum PVP, Smugglers smuggle, BH's Hunt players and high value NPC's, Agents assassinate and infiltrate bases to take down shields or disable turrets,players and NPC's, Sith and Jedi fight over their relics,knowledge and power, Troopers assault and defend, all these combine into groups trying to complete objectives while leading into open world pvp without a central objective.

Edited by Razot

Isn't it about time companions stabbing themselves with their lightsabers were fixed?

You see where I'm going with this, right?

Actually I find it quit funny going into a convo with Jaesa threatening some dude w a saber sticking through her butt to her belly. Or torian have a staff in his face lol the idiotic fool :p

Right now the Ilum Open PvP area is pretty much just wasted space. Most PvP events are set up in the outlaw's den because of the quick travel there, the smaller size, and the better performance of the Tatooine map. The Ilum area just drags the whole planet of Ilum down, and many rigs just can't handle the overhead involved with the meshes and lighting effects of the Ilum area. Just based on it's size, the area is built to accommodate roughly 32v32 pvp, but most player's rigs can't handle that. So it's either PvP in a jerky, teeth nashing lag fest, or play little teams in a GIANT arena. Either way it's a FAIL. And it doens't see a whole lot of use as a result.

1) I would like to see a world event that alters the geography of the Ilum pvP area into either a PvE daily area or an Open PvP area that is about 50% smaller. Just do something with this monument to failure, and bad memories.

a)If it is to be a PvP area, there needs to be a new

to fight over, and inside of. Maybe a crashed starship, or just a tigher perimeter of wrecked walkers. The current

cap is about 50% too large, to serve the purpose well for anything less than 16v16. Something similar to the existing

~ to camp on/in, with choke points. Just some sort of tighter geography that will actually let an outmatched team hold up against a larger force. I say this because, as soon as a faction reports to fleet that the enemy is massing in the Ilum PvP area- the response is enormous. Players want to Open world PvP, so much that the armies instantly become grossly unmatched. This kills the Open PvP about as fast as it spontaneously forms. If the winning faction controls a more defensive position, it will keep the PvP going longer, even if the factions become unbalanced. If the smaller faction holds the center, they can play toward the inside, and draw the attacking team into massive barrages of AoE. If the smaller faction is "assaulting" they can use a main group to draw out the enemy, while stealthers go for the cap that will cause any defenders killed to respawn further away.

b)If it is to become a PvE area, add mobs, a world boss, and some instanced caves for a few more dailies.

2) Either way, collapse the tunnel & get rid of the speeder ride there. Just put a faction specific shuttle at new North and South bases that are closer together. Let players use the shuttles in the daily areas to get there, after burning their legacy QT to the BH area. Put a consumable Priority Transport on the PvP venders for WZ comms, or add a legacy unlock. Along with this, make the Ilum PvP area a unique world area - cut it off, so it doesn't load with the Ilum PvE world. And so that when you go to the Ilum PvP area - you are going to a different instance. Essentially set it up with the same relationship that Section X has to Belsavis. This should dramatically improve the performance of both Ilum "worlds". By making it a unique instance, the pop caps per faction could be set on the low side so that balanced instances could form easily with 16v16 ~ 24v24 or some such. High enough that a WZ pop won't unbalance the factions, but low enough for them to hit the pop cap quickly. It's almost just a cut and paste job.

On another note about snowy things: we have ball toss & the holostatues - WHY don't we have throwable snow balls, and deployable Talz/Wookie snowmen?

How about...no.

Want good world PvP? Find a game with a better Engine. There is nothing they are gonna be able to do about wpvp without reworking the engine. Ilium was a disgusting slide show that took everything out of any form of PvP.

Hence the "reworked" Ilum. It's probably designed to be limited in numbers, so the engine can handle it as it does the WZs. And, they might have done some work on the engine, too, so Ilum v2 will work well.

It's been a year, they have said a reworked Ilum is coming in February. I highly doubt they will launch something that doesn't function again, it wouldn't make any sense.

Hence the "reworked" Ilum. It's probably designed to be limited in numbers, so the engine can handle it as it does the WZs. And, they might have done some work on the engine, too, so Ilum v2 will work well.

It's been a year, they have said a reworked Ilum is coming in February. I highly doubt they will launch something that doesn't function again, it wouldn't make any sense.

..which almost smells like "open warzone" - where you walk into, rather than getting matched into. Which is hardly open world pvp if you can't get 300 v 300 Battle Royale...

PVP Dev's response on Ilum

'Ilum was one of the last things we did'

'Targetting in January doing an 'anniversary event' in a light hearted manner'

AKA They are not 'revamping' ilum in jan/feb/march...they are simply adding a 'haha we screwed this planet up huh?' event.

He also said in this interview that cross server wz's are not even in their sights right now. So anyone like me on a low pop server/or plays at odd hours is just screwed.

yay for lack of vision

Fire Hickman already. The man acts/talks/thinks like a Robot.

Edited by Vibby

I dont PvP at all.. but when I go to Ilum on the odd occassion ill check out the PvP areas just to see what "action" is going on... the last time I seen a soul in the PvP area was back in March....been playing the whole year and not seen a soul there since.. well unless you count my friend that wanted to see what was on that part of Ilum that was with me that one time...

SO.. for me... I cant say whether Ilum is bugged or not as I never see anyoen PvP there otherwise teh rest of teh planet forme is bug free

Edited by dacentabaal

I would like to see a planet designed for nothing but world pvp. It would give the pvp player more of a way to have fun with their friends. And having a whole planet for pvp would be awesome imo. Fixing ilum and making it this way would attract more people to the planet. Give pvp mission dailies that reward warzone commendations.

Fixing the lightsaber bug would be nice. But I would like to see a lightsaber being more than a beating stick. You start with a glowing beating stick and when you get your first lightsaber, it is still a beating stick. Why not make a slashing weapon that has a % chance on killing blow to sever, decapitate, stab through, or just have slashing marks on the body? Give lightsabers the look they already deserve. I'm asking for nothing more than an animation making lightsabers more destructive LOOKING.

Back to Ilum, imo they should have their own independent mission terminal for pvp and have all the pvp vendors. Or bring a gladatorial match to the game. Maybe a 3 on 3 similar to the genosian collesium from episode 2. Bioware could do so much with Ilum instead of sitting on their butts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.