The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Yet another tired of Credit Spammers thread

Saitada

Doesn't happen ever in STO or LOTRO or DDO or EQ II or DCUO or

I will have to grab a SS next tme it happens, but it does happen in LOTRO, and I remember the general chat spam in DCUO as well. I do miss DCUO though, sucks when it went F2P, they need more servers, if thats something, but the worlds are just super cramped now. Good game though.... and very well voice acted, before SWTOR, which gets so much cred for its voice acting, DCUO did it, and did it well.

PS I remember before SWTOR went F2P they would send you mails with 1 credit in them, for some weird reason. I would take the credit and report them lol.

Edited by Fraeblood

There is a simple solution to this.

If enough people report someone's email as spam, then their emails do not show up until a CSR can review the situation. Unfortunately, doing this will quickly make emailing gold spam ineffective, resulting in a much higher rate of gen chat gold spam. And I think we can agree this is far worse.

I want to know why there is 1 credit attached when u get the mail spam, and where are these bots getting the credits?

1 isn't alot, but if everyone is getting a spam in the mail that would start to add up quick I would think.

i'm assuming these are just bots that someone levels past the home planet? because I've only ever seen the spam on the fleet.

in any case, it doesnt bother me since I don't even read general chat most of the time

LOTRO has a somewhat similar system. Doesn't have the email filters you mentioned, but it does have a report/ignore feature like you describe. If someone is spamming in a chat channel, you just right click their name and choose "report as spammer" or something like that, and it adds them to your ignore list and creates automatically creates a petition/ticket about them as a goldspammer. Once they implemented it, RMT spamming fell very dramatically. Something like that would be nice here.

Personally, I haven't seen it. Maybe I've been lucky or something? I've only been back about a week, but I have yet to see a single spam message in chat or get any spam mail.

We do have it here, though you may have to click twice (once to report, second to ignore), I can't be too sure because as another poster said, it really isn't a problem on the EU server I am on (The Progenitor).

For those complaining the same character is allowed to spam for days. An investigation of said account and all accounts connected with it, can't happen instantly. The GMs will want to know which accounts act as sales people, banks, money collectors etc. It isn't as simple as giving one account a chat ban (which obviously would tip off the whole ring).

Use the functions provided so you don't have to see the messages, report all spammers and then get on enjoying your game while the GMs get on with the job of sniffing out all the culprits.

Edited by KariTalRathe

I just logged in on my 30 something and IMMEDIATELY got a gold farmer spam whisper. I hadn't even gotten the danged game screen loaded and it was there.

This is seriously ridiculous. it isn't hard to deal with. it's real simple. You have a cpl full time guys/gals with the ability to switch to any server and BAN anybody reported and confirmed as spamming a gold seller site. Not just ban the character, but fully ban the account and kick the account from the login servers.

This is a no brainer. If you make it more difficult for them to even get their message out, they go elsewhere because it isn't profitable.

The other thing EA/BW needs to do is add in a chat option where you can reject whispers from anybody not on your friends list. Simple chat toggle.

Edited by Saitada

Don't spend all your time standing around the fleet? turn off general chat? Funny thing is in the last year I think I got one credit spam whisper and maybe 1 or 2 emails, and I'm on a lot.

You'd be amazed how much stupidity you don't have to deal with by not monitoring general chat, and no credit spammers... you should try it. Or don't stand around in one spot on the fleet all day where they can collect your name and spam you with whispers all day.

I just logged in on my 30 something and IMMEDIATELY got a gold farmer spam whisper. I hadn't even gotten the danged game screen loaded and it was there.

This is seriously ridiculous. it isn't hard to deal with. it's real simple. You have a cpl full time guys/gals with the ability to switch to any server and BAN anybody reported and confirmed as spamming a gold seller site. Not just ban the character, but fully ban the account and kick the account from the login servers.

This is a no brainer. If you make it more difficult for them to even get their message out, they go elsewhere because it isn't profitable.

The other thing EA/BW needs to do is add in a chat option where you can reject whispers from anybody not on your friends list. Simple chat toggle.

Check what KariTalRathe wrote and you'll see why it takes at least 24 hours to take action. An istant ban action would not solve the problem in the long term.

Don't spend all your time standing around the fleet? turn off general chat? Funny thing is in the last year I think I got one credit spam whisper and maybe 1 or 2 emails, and I'm on a lot.

You'd be amazed how much stupidity you don't have to deal with by not monitoring general chat, and no credit spammers... you should try it. Or don't stand around in one spot on the fleet all day where they can collect your name and spam you with whispers all day.

I am rarely EVER on fleet with any of my characters (and I SURE AS H*** don't stay long), even my 50. I generally AVOID areas with lots of people (because I can't stand the inane chatter) as a matter of course. I'm currently on Alderaan with my 30+. I don't monitor general chat either (it's unclicked), but as I am in a guild, I have chat up so I can see what is going on in guild chat, and as I get frequent whispers from other guild members, I keep whispers up as well.

I've un-clicked a number of the chat options, but as I said. I'm in a guild. and get whispers from my guild mates. MOST of the current spammer garbage I am dealing with is via whispers. I log my 30+ toon on and get 2-3 whispers within a few minutes, all from spammers. Of course I report/block them.

Ironically, I have only got a cpl on my Main and i'm on him 2-3 hours a day, but my 30 was started AFTER the game went F2P and I have no doubt at all that one of those Ord Mantell bots that do nothing but stand at the mailbox by the smuggler starting area when I started that character is the one that first nabbed my toons name and got it added to 'a list' to be spammed.

Edited by Saitada

• 2 weeks later...

I am now getting these mail messages across all 11 of my characters at the same time after I have been logged off for 24 hours. Some of my characters have not even been logged in for a week or longer.

How do they have ALL of my character names for my account or if not my account how do they have names that haven't been logged in?

EVERY character had the same mail spam!!!!

Are EA/Bioware making sure our details are secure??

DEV's please address this

Real simple, ban these spammers. I personally am getting sick of the whispers, in game mails, etc. This has been out of hand since F2P launched. I mean not only ban the characters and accounts, but go as far as ban their isp address. Way to many mmo's have had to tolerate this BS for far to long. I am sick of it and I am telling you I will start giving these A-holes a piece of my mind from now on. If Bw decides to ban me for responding to these spammers in a negative manner so be it. but don't get mad when i get really ignorant w/ them when bw has failed to do anything about the problem.

One method of fixing the in-game credit seller mail issue is make it so anyone not on your friends list gets charged a fee that you can set from 0-1000000 credits in addition to the measly 5 credit fee the mail system already charges. Make sales from the GTN and system exempt. (that additional fee goes into the credit sink, not to the actual player). That can/will reduce one side of that issue.
So I send mats to the crafter or client and 100k credits gets sucked from my wallet? I'll pass on this one, I prefer to get single credit in mail from spammer occassionally. Edited by BogyOne

Its been getting worse by the day ever since the stupid Idea of F2P now we have to deal with the endless mails general spam and whispers from credit spammers. They need to start IP Banning these people and Ban any player who is caught buying credits from these guys and we need more people to report the spam when you see it and maybe Bioware Might actually do something

I have not received any tells/whispers, but when i see them in local or broadcast, I flag them as spammers...same with the emails. CoH made it to where free accounts could not broadcast...if i remember correctly, we could set an option to only receive email from freinds.

Anyone who buys from them is an idiot anyway. You can get more credits in 30 seconds legitimately in game than through buying.

I saw, for example, someone selling 100k credits for 5 pounds the other day. Shame for him, because for just six pounds I could buy 1050 cartel coins, 2 crime lord cartel packs and sell them on the GTN for 300k each.

Like i said, the people who support them a idiots anyway, can we delete their accounts too instead of just banning them.