Playing as Empire: Pointless since we know how it all ends?

DarthRhaze

Ok, there are a few key things here.

Why play any game if you know the good guys are going to win out?

Why did you bother to watch the prequel trilogy if you knew Anakin would turn to the Dark Side, and the Jedi Order would be Destroyed?

Why did you bother playing KOTOR 1 or two, you knew the Sith would ultimately lose?

Why watch any episode of Star Trek, Stargate, crime shows, or any TV shows with good and bad guys, the good guys always catch the bad guys and stop them, eventually.

jack the ripper never got caught he was a bad guy and also there are thousands of years between SWTOR and episode one to six of the films for all we know the sith could win this war and the republic could come back years later ready for the films so we dont know republic win in this game

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jack the ripper never got caught he was a bad guy and also there are thousands of years between SWTOR and episode one to six of the films for all we know the sith could win this war and the republic could come back years later ready for the films so we dont know republic win in this game

Again, thanks to Darth Bane, the Republic will eventually win this war. The problem with a Sith Empire, is they can never focus on fighting the Republic for very long, there is always eventually, a power struggle, within, such is the way of the Darkside.

Edited by Hydroponica

Personally, I'm not playing Empire to rule the galaxy in the long run. Even if the Empire wins this war, we will eventually be destroyed. I don't care, I'm just playing to kill as many of those self-righteous Jedi bastards as possible.

Jedi aren't self-righteous, at least not as a generality. There are of course some cases that go against the norm.

Eventually some moisture farmer with a bowl cut is going to take us all down, is it really worth it to bother playing as the Empire?

:(

And then some nephew of his turns darkside and topples the new republic (by the way, Palpatine;s Empire never falls. It's still around hundreds of years after Luke dies). Then the new new republic is formed. Then they merge with the Empire.

The same thing is supposed to happen in this era as well. So the empire is never outright defeated. Only the sith and probably at their own hands. A better thread title would be, "Playing a Sith: Pointless since they can't stop killing each other".

If you think the (Galactic) Empire is completely dead after RotJ, then go do a Google search for Timothy Zahn. The Thrawn series proves the Empire is not dead and will never be dead. In the SW galaxy there will always be the "good" guys and the "bad" guys, and one of them will always be fighting to overthrow the other. Edited by Onailer

It's not Luke Skywalker who takes out the Sith, Darth Bane actually kills off Kane's Brotherhood of Darkness (The Sith Empire) with a mind bomb, on Korriban. Thus was the birth of the rule of 2, 1 to wield the power (Palpatine) and another to crave it (Vader). God, read a book.

Then, a few years after New Hope, the Galaxy will be invaded by the Yuzonvong (sp). The New Republic will collapse, and the Galactic Alliance will be born. The invaders will be defeated, but at a cost. Anikin, Han and Leia\s youngest son, will be killed, and Jacen, 1 of the twins, will never be the same.

Eventually, after a trip though the universe of self discovery, Jacen will be become the dark apprentice of another Sith Lord, and become Darth Cadeus, and, effectively take over the galaxy, for another imperial rule. (Atleast, I think that's how it plays out, I haven't finished the last book in that series yet.)

On a sad note, Mara, Luke's wife, is killed by Darth Cadeus, and their son, also has a brush with the dark side.

Well as your book spoiler ridden post for anyone who hasn't read them (shame on them)

Spoilers People

Jaina faces Jacen and kills him at the end.

Maybe next time you'll put a spoiler warning up for those who don't have the benefit of having read any EU books.

Plus you forgot the series after that where the Sith Return and hunt the Jedi. :)

If you think the (Galactic) Empire is completely dead after RotJ, then go do a Google search for Timothy Zahn. The Thrawn series proves the Empire is not dead and will never be dead. In the SW galaxy there will always be the "good" guys and the "bad" guys, and one of them will always be fighting to overthrow the other.

(BTW, I only pulled this quote because it was relatively brief; there are many other quotable posts on this thread that work into where I'm going).

One of the hard things about having retrospect and playing/living in the past is the often sad knowledge of the future ahead. Yeah, I guess it could be a downer for Sith/Empire sympathizers to know what kind of blow that bowl-cut moisture farmer will deal to your side's ideals and progress, but you're not supposed to know that. And like others have said, 3,000 plus years is a heck of a long time. I mean come on, even 300 years is a long time. 300 years ago (let's place ToR as the present), Revan came back to the light and helped the Republic gain 300 years of peace. THREE HUNDRED YEARS! That's like 4-5 generations! The USA isn't even 300 years old (just to give a comparative reference). That's not too shabby. That meant that Revan's generation, and their grandkids, and so on and so forth, got to inherit relative peace and stability. I'd say job well done. So look at it like that. 3,000 years? shoot. That's an eternity.

As for the post RotJ stuff, well, I personally don't even acknowledge it. If there's one thing that really destroys a beautiful story, it's fan fiction IMO. To me, fan fiction is this: take a beautifully told story, throw in some hideous amount of unforseen suffering that makes the original problem look like a cake-walk, have most of the original heroes die/fall to stop it, then rinse and repeat for each generation-- except increase the suffering exponentially each time so as to justify an on-going plot. Long story short, to me fan fiction is just people with massive suffering and pain fetishes getting a hold of nice stories. But once again, that's all just IMO.

So, in conclusion, and from a RP perspective, you're not supposed to know (as in, pretend you don't know) what happens after ToR, and enjoy the story as it unfolds for you :)

...May the Force be with you all.

don't fret. there's an ebb and flow to who's on top, and it doesn't end with the movies. who knows what the EU is going to look like 20 years from now.

But I think a more accurate word to use is 'Sith', rather than 'Empire'. The Sith will never die out as long as there is Star Wars, and they'll be back in charge at some point.

Eventually some moisture farmer with a bowl cut is going to take us all down, is it really worth it to bother playing as the Empire?

:(

TOR has the Sith Empire, the movies have the Galactic empire, two completely different empires, set millennia apart, TOR is around 3,650 years before the films.

To be accurate, presently the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic are two completely different empires...however in about 3,624 years, under Emperor Palpatine, they will emerge as the same Empire under Sith rule. :)

I am not sure if it would be taken as canon, but one of the earliest lines in A New Hope, spoken by Obi Wan, was

"For over a thousand generations, the Jedi were the guardians of peace in the Galaxy. Before the dark times. Before the Empire."

If you take a generation to be about 25 years, that means that for about 25,000 years before ANH, the Galactic Federation ruled. This game is set ~3000 years before ANH, so it stands to reason that either:

1. The Sith Empire are crushed. Not good for me, I am Imperial all the way.

2. Kenobi was a lying, cheating, scum-filled propaganda artist and Luke was an impressionable, innocent young boy.

3. The Galactic Republic eventually won a long and bloody war, and proceeded to write the Sith Empire out of history, dismissing them as an irrelevant uprising.

Definately not pointless in the immediate scope. If you are judging things by the scope of several millenia, then it still isn't pointless. Sure, the rebellion won in ep 6, but if you look at the whole history, it's a steady back and forth between those favoring a republic and those favoring an empire.

tl;dr: The rebellion won for now, but the empire will eventually rise, and rule, again.

Ok, there are a few key things here.

Why play any game if you know the good guys are going to win out?

Why did you bother to watch the prequel trilogy if you knew Anakin would turn to the Dark Side, and the Jedi Order would be Destroyed?

Why did you bother playing KOTOR 1 or two, you knew the Sith would ultimately lose?

Why watch any episode of Star Trek, Stargate, crime shows, or any TV shows with good and bad guys, the good guys always catch the bad guys and stop them, eventually.

different in that you're not playing the bad guy in a TV show or movie.

In KotOR II you can be evil but you can't become 'Sith'. You always have to take them out. Didn't stop people from getting pissed off about canon destroying their personal continuity.

edit: though I know you can choose a 'non-canon' Revan at the beginning of KotOR II.

Edited by BrainSplatter

And imo, to be quite frank, it's not at all 'worth it' to play as a character loyal to the Empire since they're basically on record for destroying themselves by in-fighting and letting the Republic win. They lose, get wiped out, then come back again and so on.

Like I said a while back, it's no surprise though that a government that practically authorizes murder from the lowest to highest ranks has an unstable and uncertain rule/future.