How much worse is the Merc situation going to get.....

Krozis

Is this a lvl 50 problem? I was under the impression that my lvl 42 pt merc was doing quite well in pvp....:)

You can make it work... BUT there is no place on a ranked team for a DPS or even a healer Merc + lowbie PVP is a joke, you may be a god during 10-49 and when you hit 50 it all goes to hell.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just played again few hours and did some testing and yes: Mercs are so bad, that it is completely wasted time.

What really annoys me is that Mercs / Commandos have been the poor stepchild since the very beginning and after one year they are still the worst of the worst. I mean, if I briefly glance over my abilities I can instantly see the lack of obvious *special abilities* the other two healer classes for example have.

Considering healers: we dont have a spamable HoT and that is destroying your healing performance every single time. The green bubble is just a one target joke and most of the time you are healing more than one person only.

But nuff said, just wanted to contribute to this thread with all its true opinions

Here's my point of view for current situation. All we know, that main idea of mercenary is ranged fight in arsenal spec and healing.For now, we have the lowest damage of all classes and the lowest heal potential. For pvp we have 1 shield(damage reduce) , jump jet for not letting melee damagers come to close and slow effect with unload in arsenal. Thats all. The others classes have highest damage( just crazy damage, for example jugger/guardian with 8k crit smash/ sweeping) and more save abilities( tons of it ). As a result you cant do nothing if one of the other classes decide to focus you. For you cc they have immune ability and your save ability cant stop dat insane damage. Almost all mercs have pyrotech spec, which created for powertech from the beginning(cause its fire damage, and powertech has talents for upping that kind of damage) , its probably close combat skill tree, in this tree we a just pathetic imitation compared on powertech . What we have in arsenal? Ridicilous damage + no survival+ casting time. Also, the damage of second pistole is really laughable. This is really balanced. Gj biowars. While u casts your rockets you can get 9000 charges+cc+smash= over 900 damage right in your face. So, if u like your class and like pvp and u wait for any changes ( like upping damage or something like dat) w8 for 1.7. and new addon, if there will no any changes, just start a new bounty hunter, and when trainer will ask for you spec, choose powertech, and while you smiling write in chat ` fu ck you biowar` Edited by Armadefixer

i'm going to guess that all the problems are PvP based. In PvE, Operations, Flashpoints, i'm having no problems, criticals in the 6k-16k range. i'm glad i don't pvp i guess. /shrug

my VG(assault), in the gear(mods) my Merc(pyro) gave him, so the EXACT same gear, does roughly 150-200 DPS more.

oh, at the time of the testing, my merc had WH/DG relic...VG had champion...

*EDIT* i've ran every FP on my merc at least 50-100 times. full time main from april until december, switched gear to VG.

in a matter of 3 weeks playing my VG, i've cracked top 50 on torparse in every zone...even #1 in MP (i know my merc can't run that...)

Edited by T-Assassin

I recently reached 50 with my pyro merc. Now I got WH weapons augmented and 4 pieces of gear augmented so i get the set bonus on rail shot. Still it seems I´m hitting like a wet noodle. Max. 3.5k on Rail shot (avg. 2k). Does this get any better soon? With HSM I managed to get a 4,5k off once but yeah Arsenal spec......:rolleyes: Edited by firestarter

lol, prepare for 1.5k rail shot vs jedi guardian... but he will strike you for 6k

And that's the good scenario. The bad scenario is he has Focused Defense available. Then all your DoTs basically backfire against you, ensuring the Guardian can get his health ticks each and every second.

• 2 weeks later...

Mercenary Pyro players will always feel like they don't do much damage. Pyro is a DOT spec so no one ability hits particularly hard. I frequently use a parser while playing my merc and looking at a long term breakdown of my damage about 25-30% of my damage comes from burning effects. I've managed to get crits with TD of 4600 and railshot of 3800 but that was with debuffs on undergeared players and also from PVE encounters. From a viceral twitch aspect Mercenary is not that much fun to play.

That being said my mercenary is the first character I got to 50 and it is my main. I've played it off an on since launch with nearly all that time being pyrotech. It takes a bit of concentration and practice but I do OK in both PVP and PVE. I do not do the most damage but I get the job done. I would welcome changes to the AC to improve DPS, survivabilty and to especially add utility. I would advocate that mercenaries could benifit from buffed damage to our capstone and top tier skills, an actual honest execute ability, a good root ability not tied to melee (all specs) and a vanilla speed boost or jump back ability.

Andrunahl 50 Pyro Merc

Jung Ma

Being a lvl 40 merc myself, I can honestly say PvP can completely annoy me, I have a terrible resistance to sages and other Jedi classes, but if they concentrate on Close Quarters, my DPS damage is immensily powerful, and to be honest, I dont have a rotation on my character

Mercenary Pyro players will always feel like they don't do much damage. Pyro is a DOT spec so no one ability hits particularly hard.

Basically all the DoT dps classes are persona non grata in ranked warzones. The way the game has evolved, it is of critical importance that you be able to cc/mezz enemy targets on demand. Any DoT player on your team screws that up. DoT Sorcs? Don't want them. Annihilation Maras? Nope. Certainly not Merc Pyros. The only DoT class that is still used is PT Pyro. And then in spite of, not because of the DoT. The burst from PT Pyro provides some assurance that whatever he is targeting will shortly die and thus the need to cc/mezz it is lower. Back in the pre-1.2 days, at least DoTs had some defensive utility as it stopped node cappers. Now DoTs have no defensive value and they interfere with offensive strategies that require cc/mezzing.

DPS isnt the problem. We can hit and do damage, just we cant take too much focus damage.

Nah, Merc dps output sucks even when they aren't being focused. In a low death count match like a static Voidstar, a good Merc dps can output about 800k in damage. This is lower than any other dps type. It is about the same amount of damage a good Assassin tank does. A tank. Plus of course the Assassin tank will get protection and his self heals will far exceed the Merc dps' heals. At the high player skill levels, the Merc dps is the worst. Worst damage output for any dps subclass. Worst survivability of any subclass. Worst utility of any subclass.

This situation has been allowed to persist because at the low player skill levels, Merc dps is one of the best classes. And BW is not balancing classes based on best practices for each subclass. It is balancing classes based on meta averages. That's why Merc dps will always suck for high skill players.

Basically all the DoT dps classes are persona non grata in ranked warzones. The way the game has evolved, it is of critical importance that you be able to cc/mezz enemy targets on demand. Any DoT player on your team screws that up. DoT Sorcs? Don't want them. Annihilation Maras? Nope. Certainly not Merc Pyros. The only DoT class that is still used is PT Pyro. And then in spite of, not because of the DoT. The burst from PT Pyro provides some assurance that whatever he is targeting will shortly die and thus the need to cc/mezz it is lower. Back in the pre-1.2 days, at least DoTs had some defensive utility as it stopped node cappers. Now DoTs have no defensive value and they interfere with offensive strategies that require cc/mezzing.

Nah, Merc dps output sucks even when they aren't being focused. In a low death count match like a static Voidstar, a good Merc dps can output about 800k in damage. This is lower than any other dps type. It is about the same amount of damage a good Assassin tank does. A tank. Plus of course the Assassin tank will get protection and his self heals will far exceed the Merc dps' heals. At the high player skill levels, the Merc dps is the worst. Worst damage output for any dps subclass. Worst survivability of any subclass. Worst utility of any subclass.

This situation has been allowed to persist because at the low player skill levels, Merc dps is one of the best classes. And BW is not balancing classes based on best practices for each subclass. It is balancing classes based on meta averages. That's why Merc dps will always suck for high skill players.

it is mind-bottling that people still argue this!!

it is EASILY provable through RWZ experiences, competative PvP with skilled players, and PvE parsing.

make a Merc move or interrupt them, and they are boned!! Pre 1.2 i seen Mercs own because nobody knew what the heck an interrupt was.

the class has been in disarray post 1.2. (even 1.2 if you knew how to play)

I play merc on the imperial side and commando on the republic side I have not had the problems others have had probably because I am PVE only I don't PVP and probably never will. I do see the problems PVPers are having so Bioware hopefully in the next patch will fix the problems.

I do see the problems PVPers are having so Bioware hopefully in the next patch will fix the problems.

After 1.5 they said they'd help Mercs. Then after 1.6 they said they'd wait until 1.7 to do class balance fixes. Now after 1.7 with still nothing done, I'm sure the view is that all the class fixes happen in Makeb (2.0). At which point so many changes happen no one can tell if Mercs will be fixed. If people haven't figured it out already - they will never fix Mercs. They don't want to because they fundamentally believe that Mercs are already OP in PvP.

I've heard that most of the sons of EA's CEOs play Marauders/Sentinels and had terrible nightmares with Arsenal Mercs before the nerf with the patch 1.2... BW guys just want to keep their jobs, so don't expect any buff on Mercs, but just nerf after nerf. But you can easily expect a "damage buff" in the Marauder's "monkey smash" because those EA's CEOs kids still find their Marauders/Sentinels "too squishy"... ;);)

Once you hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up.

Lot's of things live in the ooze at the bottom of the sea, mudpots, worms, Mercenaries, for billions of years too. So maybe no fix ever. Sad though, I just got a new Bounty Hunter to level 10 with the idea of taking the Merc path, since 10 months ago, everyone one said it was the best (I have a Powertech). So I did, and I come here to see about builds and now I read BW has turned them into unhappy times.

Oh well, I needed another game. I unsubbed (confirmed unsubbed) last July and came back to try the F2P version only to find I was still being billed for a subscription the whole time. Oh well, might as well play SWToR for awhile, I thought, Bounty Hunter/Merc would be a little new......

Wow i thought lots of people would L2P by now.. still heaps off QQing here about the class.

I admire your dedication.

I have an arsenal merc. I started with an arsenal merc IN BETA. I know the class quite well. I never said anything bad about the damage output, although it isn't substantial and the VG consistently pulls better numbers. The problem is with utility and survivability in PvP. But if you're going to honestly say that the BH (Arsenal in particular) isn't severely flawed in PvP then I have nothing further to say.

So many drawbacks I honestly don't know where to start.

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by CaptainCornbread